Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Hospitals here are supposedly under strain with 270 staff out sick with Covid. They hit code white this week. 

Yeah I saw something about South Australian hospitals being in a bad place at the moment. What I can't get over is the article saying don't worry about vaccinating kids against Covid, but make sure you vaccinate against the flu. Covid is far more widespread (and deadly), let alone long covid. It's nuts. 

• Sad 1

Booster timing…I have a teen that is eligible for a booster. Most years we do it before something like a camp or conference related to his health issues, and then he gets the main one around Christmas. He had Novavax around the holidays—would that change the timing of a booster?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 5:12 AM, kbutton said:

Saw this on a Covid page on FB

image.thumb.png.61b8d5797969a84ef6dcb5cb06af89c0.png

I’ve ended up seeing a lot of posts from this researcher recently and came across this one you initially had shared. Seeing it in context of her other posts particularly makes sense. She’s been spending all day every day for years looking at slices from brains of people who had Covid and of neurons under a microscope. Comparison between Covid infected and normal is pretty striking. One of my kids commented that it reminds them of the pictures of a smoker’s lung versus a non-smoker’s lung. I wonder if people would assess the risk of Covid any differently if they were seeing the same thing?

I don’t have an account on X/Twitter and it’s frankly really annoying to use without an account these days, but her account there is fascinating and worth a browse. Just a couple selections:

https://x.com/DaniBeckman/status/1759409769629335892

image.thumb.png.71f960b4303d7643fd0b79256874cdd1.png

IMG_6053.jpeg

Edited by KSera
added picture that goes with first post
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

https://insidemedicine.substack.com/p/could-a-smartwatch-have-prevented?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=1183526&post_id=145282030&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=q2z70&triedRedirect=true&utm_medium=email

Smartwatches, it turns out, can provide advanced notice that something is amiss in our bodies. In fact, colleagues of mine recently published a study in a Lancet network journal that demonstrated the power that smartwatches may have in giving us notice that we may be sick.

Volunteers were given smartwatches, and they wore them for years. During that time, of the 4,700 participants, there were 490 confirmed cases of influenza, 2,206 Covid-19 illnesses, and 320 bouts of bacterial strep throat (Group A Strep).

What did the smartwatches reveal? Heart rate changes. The baseline heart rates of smartwatch wearers had statistically detectable increases well before testing for the three pathogens was sought out. In the case of flu, heart rates increased around 68 hours prior to when they actually got tested; for Covid, increased heart rates were detectable 64 hours prior to testing; for strep, the lead time was 58 hours. Two or three days of advanced notice is huge in disease transmission dynamics.

On top of that, the participants kept track of their symptoms. So from this, we can see that there’s a pretty predictable pattern:

1. Heart rate increases.

2. Symptoms develop (on average 2-3 days later).

3. Testing occurs (on average 1.5-2 days after symptoms).

So the interval between the smartwatch “canary in the coal mine” and the time that patients actually got tested was often 2-5 days. This is massive. (Some of this is cut down by the use of rapid tests, which, as you all know, I think are underutilized.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/akiko-iwasaki-the-immunology-of-covid

The Neomycin and Neosporin Surprise

Eric Topol (17:52😞

Well, I mean the work that you and many other groups around the world have published on this is so compelling and this is the main thing that we don't have now, which is a way to prevent infection. And I think most of us would be very happy to have a spray that every three or four months and gave us much higher levels of protection than we're ever going to get from shots. And your whole concept of prime and spike, I mean this is something that we could have had years ago if there was a priority, and unfortunately there never has been. Now, the other day you came with a surprise in a paper on Neomycin as an alternate or Neosporin ointment. Can you tell us about that? Because that one wasn't expected. This was to use an antibiotic in a way to reduce Covid and other respiratory virus

Akiko Iwasaki (18:50😞

Right. So yeah, that's a little known fact. I mean, of course widespread use of antibiotics has caused some significant issues with resistance and so on. However, when you look at the literature of different types of antibiotics, we have reported in 2018 that certain types of antibiotics known as aminoglycoside, which includes Neosporin or neomycin, has this sort of unintended antiviral property by triggering Toll-like receptor 3 in specialized cell types known as conventional dendritic cell type 1. And we published that for a genital herpes model that we were working on at the time. But because it's acting on the host, the Toll-like receptor 3 on the host cell to induce interferon and interferon stimulated genes to prevent the replication of the virus, we knew that it could be pan-viral. It doesn't really matter what the virus is. So we basically leverage that discovery that was made by a postdoc Smita Gopinath when she was in the lab to see if we can use that in the nasal cavity.

(20:07😞

And that's what Tianyang Mao, a former graduate student did, in fact. And yeah, little spray of neomycin in the nose of the mice reduce this infection as well as disease and can even be used to treat shortly after the infection disease progress and using hamster models we also showed that hamsters that are pretreated with neomycin when they were caged with infected hamsters, the transmission rate was much reduced. And we also did with Dr. Charles Dela Cruz, a small clinical trial, randomized though into placebo and Neosporin arms of healthy volunteers. We asked them to put in a pea size amount of Neosporin on a cotton swab into the nose, and they were doing that twice a day for seven days. We measured the RNA from the nose of these people and indeed see that more than half the participants in the Neosporin group had elevated interferon stimulated genes, whereas the control group, which were given Vaseline had no response. So this sort of shows the promise of using something as generic and cheap as Neosporin to trigger antiviral state in the nose. Now it does require a much larger trial making sure that the safety profiles there and effectiveness against viral infection, but it's just a beginning of a story that could develop into something useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

https://insidemedicine.substack.com/p/could-a-smartwatch-have-prevented?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=1183526&post_id=145282030&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=q2z70&triedRedirect=true&utm_medium=email

Smartwatches, it turns out, can provide advanced notice that something is amiss in our bodies. In fact, colleagues of mine recently published a study in a Lancet network journal that demonstrated the power that smartwatches may have in giving us notice that we may be sick.

Volunteers were given smartwatches, and they wore them for years. During that time, of the 4,700 participants, there were 490 confirmed cases of influenza, 2,206 Covid-19 illnesses, and 320 bouts of bacterial strep throat (Group A Strep).

What did the smartwatches reveal? Heart rate changes. The baseline heart rates of smartwatch wearers had statistically detectable increases well before testing for the three pathogens was sought out. In the case of flu, heart rates increased around 68 hours prior to when they actually got tested; for Covid, increased heart rates were detectable 64 hours prior to testing; for strep, the lead time was 58 hours. Two or three days of advanced notice is huge in disease transmission dynamics.

On top of that, the participants kept track of their symptoms. So from this, we can see that there’s a pretty predictable pattern:

1. Heart rate increases.

2. Symptoms develop (on average 2-3 days later).

3. Testing occurs (on average 1.5-2 days after symptoms).

So the interval between the smartwatch “canary in the coal mine” and the time that patients actually got tested was often 2-5 days. This is massive. (Some of this is cut down by the use of rapid tests, which, as you all know, I think are underutilized.

I've only had Covid once thus far (still trying to prevent repeats!), but yeah, my base hr went up almost 10bpm while I had it - it's not what tipped me off; I got it from dh so I was already on notice.  My other 'stats' were also all wonky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Except rapid tests often show nothing until a person is sick as a dog or already feeling better. DH was miserable before he tested positive!

Masking to not get sick in the first place is far more reliable, even when the masks are not N95 masks.

Tests are not a bad option, but I don’t think they are nearly as helpful as most people think they are. I do think that they can be a proxy for infectiousness, but that probably requires constant re-testing once negative. If his parents had tested negative upon arrival, would he have tested them daily? I doubt it.

Masking leading up to having company (both you and the company) seems much safer to me and has largely been our practice. If we feel that someone won’t be honest about masking or is not a competent mask wearer, we have to get creative. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

https://erictopol.substack.com/p/akiko-iwasaki-the-immunology-of-covid

The Neomycin and Neosporin Surprise

Eric Topol (17:52😞

Well, I mean the work that you and many other groups around the world have published on this is so compelling and this is the main thing that we don't have now, which is a way to prevent infection. And I think most of us would be very happy to have a spray that every three or four months and gave us much higher levels of protection than we're ever going to get from shots. And your whole concept of prime and spike, I mean this is something that we could have had years ago if there was a priority, and unfortunately there never has been. Now, the other day you came with a surprise in a paper on Neomycin as an alternate or Neosporin ointment. Can you tell us about that? Because that one wasn't expected. This was to use an antibiotic in a way to reduce Covid and other respiratory virus

Akiko Iwasaki (18:50😞

Right. So yeah, that's a little known fact. I mean, of course widespread use of antibiotics has caused some significant issues with resistance and so on. However, when you look at the literature of different types of antibiotics, we have reported in 2018 that certain types of antibiotics known as aminoglycoside, which includes Neosporin or neomycin, has this sort of unintended antiviral property by triggering Toll-like receptor 3 in specialized cell types known as conventional dendritic cell type 1. And we published that for a genital herpes model that we were working on at the time. But because it's acting on the host, the Toll-like receptor 3 on the host cell to induce interferon and interferon stimulated genes to prevent the replication of the virus, we knew that it could be pan-viral. It doesn't really matter what the virus is. So we basically leverage that discovery that was made by a postdoc Smita Gopinath when she was in the lab to see if we can use that in the nasal cavity.

(20:07😞

And that's what Tianyang Mao, a former graduate student did, in fact. And yeah, little spray of neomycin in the nose of the mice reduce this infection as well as disease and can even be used to treat shortly after the infection disease progress and using hamster models we also showed that hamsters that are pretreated with neomycin when they were caged with infected hamsters, the transmission rate was much reduced. And we also did with Dr. Charles Dela Cruz, a small clinical trial, randomized though into placebo and Neosporin arms of healthy volunteers. We asked them to put in a pea size amount of Neosporin on a cotton swab into the nose, and they were doing that twice a day for seven days. We measured the RNA from the nose of these people and indeed see that more than half the participants in the Neosporin group had elevated interferon stimulated genes, whereas the control group, which were given Vaseline had no response. So this sort of shows the promise of using something as generic and cheap as Neosporin to trigger antiviral state in the nose. Now it does require a much larger trial making sure that the safety profiles there and effectiveness against viral infection, but it's just a beginning of a story that could develop into something useful.

We have been using Nozin for the last year, but I am wondering if Neosporin is a better way to go? 

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

We have been using Nozin for the last year, but I am wondering if Neosporin is a better way to go? 

I think there are concerns using actual neosporin because it’s oil based and it’s theoretically possible small amounts will end up breathed into the lungs. A purpose made product would definitely be better. And then there are concerns along antibiotic overuse, which I guess apply to neosporin in general. I can imagine taking the risk occasionally if one had a high risk appointment or something though—like a dental appointment where you couldn’t mask. 

• Like 1

Ugh. My daughter returned to school this year after homeschooling and she was the only kid in her school class who hadn't had covid . . . till now. I knew it would happen, but it still sucks. The timing is just awful, though, but I guess when would it be good? She has the usual cold symptoms, headache/fever, cough. I'm hoping a few days of decent sleep will help her. We live in a very small home so there's no isolating happening, and she wants to be with us all the time anyway. I really hope it doesn't drag out one by one by one . . . 

• Sad 11

26 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Ugh. My daughter returned to school this year after homeschooling and she was the only kid in her school class who hadn't had covid . . . till now. I knew it would happen, but it still sucks. The timing is just awful, though, but I guess when would it be good? She has the usual cold symptoms, headache/fever, cough. I'm hoping a few days of decent sleep will help her. We live in a very small home so there's no isolating happening, and she wants to be with us all the time anyway. I really hope it doesn't drag out one by one by one . . . 

I hope she feels better soon, and that somehow, miraculously, no one else gets sick.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bookbard said:

Oh no 🤞 for a light infection for her and over quickly 😞 

Definitely in a solid wave again now here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, bookbard said:

Oh no, I am so sorry that she got it after all this time.  Sigh.  I hope she feels better soon and that the others in the house don't get it.  

Can you open windows?  Run fans or air purifiers?  Mask even if not for the whole day?  Extra vitamins?  A nasal spray?  A mouthwash?  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, KSera said:

I think there are concerns using actual neosporin because it’s oil based and it’s theoretically possible small amounts will end up breathed into the lungs. A purpose made product would definitely be better. And then there are concerns along antibiotic overuse, which I guess apply to neosporin in general. I can imagine taking the risk occasionally if one had a high risk appointment or something though—like a dental appointment where you couldn’t mask. 

Thanks for the good info.  Sigh.  I just wish there were more ways to layer protections at this point.

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Thanks for the good info.  Sigh.  I just wish there were more ways to layer protections at this point.

Yeah. I still think this is pretty intriguing though. It’s a quite different mechanism from the other nasal sprays that have been suggested. I currently use an iota carrageenan one if I have something high risk to do, since there is some data on that. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, KSera said:

Yeah. I still think this is pretty intriguing though. It’s a quite different mechanism from the other nasal sprays that have been suggested. I currently use an iota carrageenan one if I have something high risk to do, since there is some data on that. 

Do you have a link to the one you use? We have been using Nozin, and it’s become hard to source! We have Xlear, but not sure that’s effective at all. 

My MIL and FIL have Covid now. They both tested negative for the first few days of symptoms, and are pretty surprised they have it. FIL is worse than MIL. (For anyone who remembers that we lost both my MIL and FIL last year, this is my bonus set — DH’s birthparents. We are very close, too.) 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Do you have a link to the one you use? We have been using Nozin, and it’s become hard to source! We have Xlear, but not sure that’s effective at all. 

My MIL and FIL have Covid now. They both tested negative for the first few days of symptoms, and are pretty surprised they have it. FIL is worse than MIL. (For anyone who remembers that we lost both my MIL and FIL last year, this is my bonus set — DH’s birthparents. We are very close, too.) 

Same question for me.    We used Xclear in the start when my younger ones couldn't get the vaccine.  But they hated doing it.  Nozin is way easier for them to do.  I admit it I prefer it to Xclear too.  

I have noticed that Nozin is harder to get now.  I have to order it from Nozin itself at this point.

@Spryte  I am so sorry your MIL and FIL have it now.  Hoping they both feel better soon.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spryte said:

Do you have a link to the one you use? We have been using Nozin, and it’s become hard to source! We have Xlear, but not sure that’s effective at all

27 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We used Xclear in the start when my younger ones couldn't get the vaccine.  But they hated doing it.  Nozin is way easier for them to do.  I admit it I prefer it to Xclear too.  

I was using Nasitrol, but suddenly their website appears to not be functional, which is a huge bummer. Like @mommyoffive, we found the Nasitrol much easier for the kids than Xclear. Betadine makes an iota carrageenan spray as well, but I can’t figure out where to get it. The ones from Amazon come without their safety seals and I’m just not willing to do that. I couldn’t track down anyone from the company to give me an answer on whether that was legit or not. So, essentially I am back on the hunt for some thing also. The xylitol spray does seem to have some potentially good data, they just weren’t quite as good as the iota carrageenan. I haven’t looked to see which one is safer for using more frequently, but we don’t use it on a daily basis or anything.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KSera said:

I was using Nasitrol, but suddenly their website appears to not be functional, which is a huge bummer. Like @mommyoffive, we found the Nasitrol much easier for the kids than Xclear. Betadine makes an iota carrageenan spray as well, but I can’t figure out where to get it. The ones from Amazon come without their safety seals and I’m just not willing to do that. I couldn’t track down anyone from the company to give me an answer on whether that was legit or not. So, essentially I am back on the hunt for some thing also. The xylitol spray does seem to have some potentially good data, they just weren’t quite as good as the iota carrageenan. I haven’t looked to see which one is safer for using more frequently, but we don’t use it on a daily basis or anything.

Seems like Nasitrol and Betadine are both on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Nasitrol-Natural-Nasal-Spray-Whie/dp/B0B6414FR7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=VR3XK3Q4JDSV&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.b3i-y9fallLU3VwDcunSL-YuJswMuaJ-qlk28oIM6HqmI1oIqV6OD35MrJbuKzL8zZnbVY6yjf3Wi_H6g1rV88oSRe7eBX0f1sZWMbVhtIdGDH6U3yOivxIErIsCtsneMnyhWrCS_HCnKisi-ZFBz8btUynTvYQZhhnhYN9k6mOFdFUmzT_Xhd_8u-3m_RT6yaYXlyTdGj8Q8DwzQg8tY2e6vaA6vJ7bz1BY7W9J5bTIjB6bcbWIhs1yJXO5oT1_X6MkabJZChFOJPD3O8Wk6XUozRBVSOWParLnnK03yFI.fgcc47jCnrkWTShfn3JuE9ubT4fzf6WOWwuujrt3aro&dib_tag=se&keywords=Nasitrol&qid=1717680862&sprefix=nasitrol%2Caps%2C550&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/BETADINE-Defence-eliminates-viruses-Improved/dp/B07MKVLYD9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=VR3XK3Q4JDSV&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.b3i-y9fallLU3VwDcunSL-YuJswMuaJ-qlk28oIM6HqmI1oIqV6OD35MrJbuKzL8zZnbVY6yjf3Wi_H6g1rV88oSRe7eBX0f1sZWMbVhtIdGDH6U3yOivxIErIsCtsneMnyhWrCS_HCnKisi-ZFBz8btUynTvYQZhhnhYN9k6mOFdFUmzT_Xhd_8u-3m_RT6yaYXlyTdGj8Q8DwzQg8tY2e6vaA6vJ7bz1BY7W9J5bTIjB6bcbWIhs1yJXO5oT1_X6MkabJZChFOJPD3O8Wk6XUozRBVSOWParLnnK03yFI.fgcc47jCnrkWTShfn3JuE9ubT4fzf6WOWwuujrt3aro&dib_tag=se&keywords=Nasitrol&qid=1717680931&sprefix=nasitrol%2Caps%2C550&sr=8-3

10 hours ago, KSera said:

Ugh.  Just read all the reviews and saw what you are talking about.  Boo.   Please update if you ever see the Nasitrol website up and going again.  I guess I better order some more Nozin.

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Matches my understanding.  

Paxlovid is no longer fully funded here, as of last month.   Patients wanting paxlovid will now have to pay for it like any other drug.  (Those on government funded pharmacare programs in my province will covered only if they meet specific criteria).  Presecription rates will fall even further than they already have.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 7:35 AM, Spryte said:

I hope she feels better soon, and that somehow, miraculously, no one else gets sick.

I'm definitely sick, but I have been sick with a cold for over a week and I am not testing positive. She had a cold two weeks ago (which I got off her), then was ok, then came down with Covid. So either I have her original cold or have her Covid and it's not positive yet, or both lol. When I had Covid last time I didn't have cold symptoms, I just had a horrendous headache that no painkillers could touch. 

Well, this is scary. I haven’t kept up with this thread as well as I should, so maybe something along these lines has already been posted.

ROCK HILL, S.C. — Kashyap Patel looked forward to his team’s Friday lunches. All the doctors from his oncology practice would gather in the open-air courtyard under the shadow of a tall magnolia tree and catch up. The atmosphere tended to the lighthearted and optimistic. But that week, he was distressed.

It was 2021, a year into the coronaviruspandemic, and as he slid into a chair, Patel shared that he’d just seen a patient in his 40s with cholangiocarcinoma, a rare and lethal cancer of the bile ducts that typically strikes people in their 70s and 80s. Initially, there was silence, and then one colleague after another said they’d recently treated patients who had similar diagnoses. Within a year of that meeting, the office had recorded seven such cases.

“I’ve been in practice 23 years and have never seen anything like this,” Patel, CEO of Carolina Blood and Cancer Care Associates, later recalled. Asutosh Gor, another oncologist, agreed: “We were all shaken.”

There was other weirdness, too: multiple patients contending with multiple types of cancer arising almost simultaneously, and more than a dozen new cases of other rare cancers.

Increasingly, Patel was left with an unsettling thought: Could the coronavirus be inflaming the embers of cancer?

https://wapo.st/3Kvhb9d (Gifted)

Long story short, there are suggestive indications of a link, but nothing definitive.

• Thanks 6
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Well, this is scary. I haven’t kept up with this thread as well as I should, so maybe something along these lines has already been posted.

There’s been a couple things over the pages referring to the possibility of a link to cancer increases, but not this story yet. I read it earlier today as well and was going to share, so thanks for linking it. 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 2:48 PM, wathe said:

Griping:  Our fantastic, most excellent and elegant public health provincial wastewater surveillance system is being scrapped.  In order to "avoid duplication" -- there is a federal wastewater monitoring program, but it's crap (haha), with very limited data from the province (Toronto only).   I am very annoyed.

Lots of links about this in the Covid Is Not Over Newsletter today.

Also, N95 Masks Nearly Perfect at Blocking COVID, UMD Study Shows

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't remember hearing about Tea and COVID before?  I mean maybe I did?  Over 4 years who knows, but I read it in a magazine last night and looked into it today.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9848307/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9833859/

Thanks for linking those, that second article is really comprehensive and quite fascinating!

Fairly early on in the pandemic I read that one of the components of tea, EGCG, was effective against covid in vitro, so I have taken that as a supplement during periods of high transmission and when I knew I might be exposed. I also drink several cups of tea every day, including green tea, and DS drinks at least 6-8 cups per day, sometimes more. I had covid once (after spending 2 hours in a car with DD, whose "allergies" turned out to be covid), and DS has never had covid as far as he knows, despite being on a crowded college campus every day plus frequent travel and competition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

Thanks for linking those, that second article is really comprehensive and quite fascinating!

Fairly early on in the pandemic I read that one of the components of tea, EGCG, was effective against covid in vitro, so I have taken that as a supplement during periods of high transmission and when I knew I might be exposed. I also drink several cups of tea every day, including green tea, and DS drinks at least 6-8 cups per day, sometimes more. I had covid once (after spending 2 hours in a car with DD, whose "allergies" turned out to be covid), and DS has never had covid as far as he knows, despite being on a crowded college campus every day plus frequent travel and competition. 

Hmm so interesting about your son.

What EGCG do you take?  And how much?

The article I read in the magazine said that black tea had the best rates of killing Covid in your saliva.  And that you could just gargle with it if you didn't want to drink it.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Hmm so interesting about your son.

What EGCG do you take?  And how much?

The article I read in the magazine said that black tea had the best rates of killing Covid in your saliva.  And that you could just gargle with it if you didn't want to drink it.  

I take this one, which has ~710 mg of green tea polyphenols, including ~320 mg EGCG. That's equivalent to around 3-5 cups of basic (tea-bag type) green tea — something like ceremonial matcha would be much higher in EGCG. I also drink a large green tea chai with soy milk almost every morning, plus a couple of decaf black tea chais during the day.

There's some evidence that piperine helps with absorption of EGCG, and I take a turmeric supplement that includes piperine, so I just take those together.

• Like 1

Finally tested positive, although I've been quite unwell since Friday. I have a major presentation this week but I guess that's what zoom is for. Can't wait to get better, I hate feeling like this. My daughter (who brought it back from school) seems a bit better. My son and husband are ok so far. 

• Sad 5