Menu

Jussie Smollett also found guilty==5 out of 6 charges - and again I am happy

TravelingChris

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

I read this on the Fox News website:   The jury found Smollett guilty on the first five counts and was found Not Guilty on charge #6 –aggravated battery, wearing a hood or mask to conceal his identity – after a contentious week of witness testimony, counsel arguments and deliberation. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

Such a strange crime. 

My understanding is he thought it would bring him attention, and a bigger part/more money.  Reasoning doesn't make sense to me either.   He "received" (re: sent to himself) a hate letter and showed it to the producers.  They didn't react.  So - he set this up. (on a day when the windchill was 30 below F.)  It  sounded like he did NOT want to go to the police - he was just trying to "get noticed" by the producers bizarrely thinking this would - get him more attention/bigger part/more money. Other people that night/afterwards were insisting he call the police.  He should have just 'fessed up then.  Embarrassing sure, - but this is far worse.

• Like 5

It is shocking and disturbing to me how much Chicago spent on investigating this when they thought it was true.  There is no way they are spending this much on other crimes, even homicides   I know my city is Not spending this much on one crime.      

From NPR: “This police department took it seriously. They believed he was the victim of a crime. And they worked so hard for the next three weeks. You saw - 26 Chicago police officers spent 3,000 hours of time, costing this city well over $100,000 for a fake crime that never occurred and, by the way, a fake crime that denigrates what a real hate crime is.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/10/1062937706/smollett-found-guilty-of-lying-to-authorities-in-trial-over-his-alleged-attack

Edited by ealp2009
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, ealp2009 said:

It is shocking and disturbing to me how much Chicago spent on investigating this when they thought it was true.  There is no way they are spending this much on other crimes, even homicides   I know my city is Not spending this much on one crime.      

From NPR: “This police department took it seriously. They believed he was the victim of a crime. And they worked so hard for the next three weeks. You saw - 26 Chicago police officers spent 3,000 hours of time, costing this city well over $100,000 for a fake crime that never occurred and, by the way, a fake crime that denigrates what a real hate crime is.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/10/1062937706/smollett-found-guilty-of-lying-to-authorities-in-trial-over-his-alleged-attack

They had no reason to think it was fake at the time. If it had been real, would you think that was inappropriate to spend to find the perpetrators? 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, ealp2009 said:

If it had been true - it would have been very serious, and likely not limited to one "victim", but with potentially more "victims", and potentially more dangerous.  Had it been real - what he claimed - assuming another victim could be killed wasn't an overreaction.  (after all, he only had a "bruise", and his sandwich was not hurt.)  That's a lot of fall out.

That he faked this (and still has people supporting him claiming it was "real".) - is extremely divisive of the community. And it hurts real crime victims.  

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, KSera said:

They had no reason to think it was fake at the time. If it had been real, would you think that was inappropriate to spend to find the perpetrators? 

I think it would be great if all crimes were investigated carefully and thoroughly.   The reality they are not.  There are many equally serious crimes not being given the resources that this fake crime was.   Also, the story is pretty bizarre so I would disagree that they has no reason to think it was fake.  Obviously, there were plenty of reasons to think it was fake.  

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, KSera said:

They actually had a lot of reasons to think it was fake from the start.

2am. Freezing cold. Walking to a Subway for a sandwich?  And he happens to be recognized (when one would think he would be bundled up) by two MAGA white guys who happen to also be out in Chicago at 2am with a bottle of bleach and noose?  Come on. The story smelled funky from the jump,

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ealp2009 said:

I think it would be great if all crimes were investigated carefully and thoroughly.   The reality they are not.  There are many equally serious crimes not being given the resources that this fake crime was.   Also, the story is pretty bizarre so I would disagree that they has no reason to think it was fake.  Obviously, there were plenty of reasons to think it was fake.  

Until they have proof it is fake - they have to treat it as real.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ealp2009 said:

I think it would be great if all crimes were investigated carefully and thoroughly.

I agree with this. I just don't think the answer is to advocate that certain crimes be investigated less carefully. Like Gardenmom said, if this hadn't turned out to be made up, it would have been extremely serious and warranted the resources used.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KSera said:

I agree with this. I just don't think the answer is to advocate that certain crimes be investigated less carefully. Like Gardenmom said, if this hadn't turned out to be made up, it would have been extremely serious and warranted the resources used.

I don’t disagree.  It seems though that this was a disproportionate amount of resources to spend and is seems particularly galling because it turned out to be fake.  I had a friend who recently experienced what could be considered a hate crime. Thankfully she wasn’t injured (only property damage but she could have been) and there was literally no investigation at all.   The average violent crime is getting a fraction of this amount of resources devoted to it’s investigation.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ealp2009 said:

I don’t disagree.  It seems though that this was a disproportionate amount of resources to spend and is seems particularly galling because it turned out to be fake.  I had a friend who recently experienced what could be considered a hate crime. Thankfully she wasn’t injured (only property damage but she could have been) and there was literally no investigation at all.   The average violent crime is getting a fraction of this amount of resources devoted to it’s investigation.  

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend! The lack of investigation afterward must have made her feel even worse! 😞 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KSera said:

1) I guarantee that the amount of time/effort invested by the cops after my mom, then 8.5 months pregnant, was attacked by a rapist, was a tiny fraction of what was spent on the J.Smollett case.  Part of the reason is that after they wasted time on the original report and investigation, they then had to expend more on investigating the fraud.  And part of it was because the media created pressure on the cops to do something about this supposed hate crime vs. just walk away realizing it was BS.

2) To me and to anyone who knows anything about Chicago, it was obvious the report was fabricated.  Aside from the points already made by others, who seriously believes there were two white guys walking around all big and bad in a dark Chicago alley with MAGA hats on?  Chicago is MAGA country??  Freaking please.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, AnotherNewName said:

2am. Freezing cold. Walking to a Subway for a sandwich?  And he happens to be recognized (when one would think he would be bundled up) by two MAGA white guys who happen to also be out in Chicago at 2am with a bottle of bleach and noose?  Come on. The story smelled funky from the jump,

3 hours ago, SKL said:

Aside from the points already made by others, who seriously believes there were two white guys walking around all big and bad in a dark Chicago alley with MAGA hats on?  Chicago is MAGA country??  Freaking please.

or . . that he "mistook" two black guys he knows, for two white strangers wearing maga hats.

He was cooperative with the investigation, until he found out who was arrested.

He wanted to be famous . . . . . .Somehow, I don't think this is what he had in mind . . . . 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AnotherNewName said:

And the sandwich miraculously made it through, still in his hand. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

And the sandwich miraculously made it through, still in his hand. 

And someone had to TELL HIM to take off the noose . . .. I can't imagine someone keeping that on one second longer after his "assailants" were gone.

• Like 1