Menu

Sending money overseas

TCB

2 minutes ago, TCB said:

Last time I sent a small amount there were fees even with the friends and family, unless I didn’t do it correctly.

DH has sent DS money via PayPal without incurring fees. Both accounts are registered in the US— not sure if that makes a difference? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MEmama said:

DH has sent DS money via PayPal without incurring fees. Both accounts are registered in the US— not sure if that makes a difference? 

I think both being US does make a difference and is free. I haven’t looked into Apple Pay so thanks for that suggestion.

• Like 1

Just now, TCB said:

I think both being US does make a difference and is free. I haven’t looked into Apple Pay so thanks for that suggestion.

To be clear, DS lives overseas but his account was registered here. It’s a US account, not an Irish one. Idk if it makes a difference, like if friends and family might not work if the account had been set up over there instead.

• Like 1

You kind of have to factor in exchange rate as well as fees charged. My bank charges $45 to wire money to Nepal, which is way more than Xoom, but Xoom gives such a lousy exchange rate that I found more money got transferred to the recipient if I went with the bank and took the $45 out of the transfer amount. And, depending on the service again, your recipient may have to pay fees to get the money from the service to their bank account. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, calbear said:

Schwab! No ATM or international exchange fees.

With Schwab, you can deposit money in your US based account and use an ATM machine in a foreign country.  But, you can't send money to someone's account in a foreign country fee-free can you?

2 hours ago, Bootsie said:

With Schwab, you can deposit money in your US based account and use an ATM machine in a foreign country.  But, you can't send money to someone's account in a foreign country fee-free can you?

I don't think you can do that. This would work if the receiving person had their own Schwab account and ATM card. I would find out if how you can help said person open an account.

Edited by calbear
  • Like 1

Hello TCB, I'm prince Abu, Assistant Director to to the Deputy Prime Minister of the the interior of Finance in Nigeria. We have located $150,000, 000 USD in a dormant account. By law, we are required to destroy such funds if we are unable to find a rightful heir by midnight October 30. 2021.  Because are records show that you are a honest person. we will send you a check for $150,000,000 USD.  After you deposit the check, wire us $5 000.00 in in USD that we will then deliver to your child by private jet.  Later, wire $2,000,000  to us for processing fees. You may keep the remaining funds for your service. We think you will find the transaction mutually satisfactory.

Regards. Prince Abu

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, gstharr said:

Hello TCB, I'm prince Abu, Assistant Director to to the Deputy Prime Minister of the the interior of Finance in Nigeria. We have located $150,000, 000 USD in a dormant account. By law, we are required to destroy such funds if we are unable to find a rightful heir by midnight October 30. 2021.  Because are records show that you are a honest person. we will send you a check for $150,000,000 USD.  After you deposit the check, wire us $5 000.00 in in USD that we will then deliver to your child by private jet.  Later, wire $2,000,000  to us for processing fees. You may keep the remaining funds for your service. We think you will find the transaction mutually satisfactory.

Regards. Prince Abu

OMG ! My first thought was the Nigerian Prince has struck the forum.

Good one !