Menu

question about pro antibody treatment but anti covid vaccine overlap

ktgrok

Just now, ktgrok said:

So do vaccines, but that doesn't sway them. 

My guess is they don't realize most of those antibodies are coming from vaccinated people not from previously sick people, and they believe ridiculous conspiracy theories about the vaccines causing genetic changes and don't realize viruses cause permanent genetic changes themselves, whereas mrna vaccine changes last a matter of weeks at most.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

How does that make sense? My understanding is there is only emergency use authorization for antibody treatment for Covid, so why are people okay with that?

Because they're idiots who have no clue.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

How does that make sense? My understanding is there is only emergency use authorization for antibody treatment for Covid, so why are people okay with that?

I don’t believe there’s any logic to it. They’ve heard that antibody treatment is the one they are supposed to be in favor of and vaccines the one they’re supposed to be against, so that’s what they are. I expect it probably helps that the former president got the antibody treatment and likely had his life likely saved by it. Unfortunately, by the time it was public knowledge that he had also gotten the vaccine, I think anti vax people were already entrenched in their views. I would want myself or any family members who became ill to have the opportunity to get the antibody treatment as well, I just think it would’ve been so much more helpful if it had been made clear just how sick he was and how people should get vaccinated so that doesn’t happen to them. Instead, I think people felt further supported in their “no big deal” view. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

More unvaxed shaming and bashing. Not an invitation to conversation.

Do you have a better answer?  Because calling a group of people out for their lack of logic on a classical education board is neither shaming nor bashing. They lack scientific understanding. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

The gaslighting is insane on these threads. Calling people idiots is not bashing. Okey-dokey.

She wasn’t the one who called someone an idiot.

Outside of those who can’t vaccinate for medical reasons or haven’t been able to yet access a vaccine, I don’t understand all of the worry about and sympathy for those who are not vaccinated. Of all of the terrible actions taken by so many of our citizens during this pandemic, it puzzles me as to why this one on the WTM board brings out so many defenders. Where is the concern for the healthcare professionals who just want all of this to stop? Where is the concern for those who can’t be vaccinated or for whom the vaccine is not effective? Where is the concern for those rushed to the ER for another reason and their care is compromised because hospitals are overwhelmed with unvaccinated covid patients.

I agree that this is not the approach for public health officials to be taking. But on the WTM board, I don’t think it’s surprising that we expect logic and critical thinking skills. I also don’t think it’s surprising that many are very frustrated by what the actions of a minority (anti-maskers, anti-vaxers) are costing all of us. My husband is working at the hospital right now. They’ve just set a record for number of covid patients. Today I told my mom we will likely be cancelling our trip to see her in September unless we can all get boosters before then. I haven’t seen her in over two years. Yeah, I’m mad.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 11
  • Sad 3

Just now, AbcdeDooDah said:

I commented on the tone of the thread, not who said it. It doesn't invite actual conversation on Katie's question. That's okay. Carry on with the delusion that only vaxed have critical thinking skills. 

So one bad comment and the whole thread doesn’t invite actual conversation?

Unvaxed people may certainly have critical thinking skills. Who knows, maybe they would all refuse the antibody treatments. Or as someone else said, they are ok taking the gamble with not vaccinating and then using the treatment if they lose. I mean we’ve all learned during this pandemic that some think only of themselves and don’t comprehend or care about the public part of public health. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Frances said:

<snip> Or as someone else said, they are ok taking the gamble with not vaccinating and then using the treatment if they lose. I mean we’ve all learned during this pandemic that some think only of themselves and don’t comprehend or care about the public part of public health. 

If you meant my comment, I was mostly thinking of the many, many people we know with recovered immunity; for them, the (extremely small) chance of reinfection is lower than the risk of vaccine complications / unknowns, at least at this point in the game. They are certainly not covid deniers or anti-vaccine. I hope I was not suggesting that they don't care about public health; the ones in our circles were the original convalescent plasma donors long before there WAS a vaccine.

I don't mean to argue, just to offer a perspective that could shed light on OP's question. Please forgive me if there something else I'm missing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

It wasn't only one comment. Lack of logic, ridiculous conspiracy theories, idiots, etc. 

The binary thinking about the vaxed/unvaxed is old.

I'm sorry for side-tracking your thread, Katie.

At almost two years into this, the time for binary thinking is now. The idea that anything but choosing the vaccine for those who are able to be protected by a vaccine is ridiculous.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

It wasn't only one comment. Lack of logic, ridiculous conspiracy theories, idiots, etc. 

The binary thinking about the vaxed/unvaxed is old.

I'm sorry for side-tracking your thread, Katie.

I’m sure there are many different reasons. I would be quite surprised if each of the reasons given did not apply to at least some in the anti-vax group. Do you think every person not getting vaccinated is logical? Every person getting vaccinated is logical? I don’t. Do you not think that anyone is not vaccinating due to conspiracy theories? Do you not think some people are just plain selfish and/or don’t understand the public part of public health? 

Maybe you missed all of the threads and posts where people specifically said the not vaxed group is made up of many sub groups with different reasons? And that there is a pretty big difference between the anti-vax and the vaccine hesitant? I don’t think any on here sees it as binary.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

If you meant my comment, I was mostly thinking of the many, many people we know with recovered immunity; for them, the (extremely small) chance of reinfection is lower than the risk of vaccine complications / unknowns, at least at this point in the game. They are certainly not covid deniers or anti-vaccine. I hope I was not suggesting that they don't care about public health; the ones in our circles were the original convalescent plasma donors long before there WAS a vaccine.

I don't mean to argue, just to offer a perspective that could shed light on OP's question. Please forgive me if there something else I'm missing.

Thanks for explaining, I wasn’t thinking of that group. Every person I know who had covid has been vaccinated per the advice of their doctor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling out irrational and idiotic behavior when that's exactly what it is.

ETA:  Though I would hope it is obvious, I am not referring to folks who have actual medical reasons for not getting vaccinated.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

If people dislike being "shamed", maybe they should stop acting in shameful ways.  They can sit with that uncomfortable feeling for awhile. 

So much this. It’s like after the election in 2016 people kept complaining about being bashed for voting for Trump. Well there was a simple solution. Don’t vote for Trump. It’s like people want to do whatever they want to do with no consequences or judgement. And that is pretty darn ironic coming from one of the biggest group of anti vaxers and Trump voters, evangelical Christians.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Thinking about it, you're right. If you did offer reasons on this thread, people would probably be impatient with them and you'd feel ganged up on (whether you agreed with those reasons or not.) I can see how that's frustrating, having been in that position. 

• Like 1

That being said, while I value open conversations more than almost anyone, I am also simply EXHAUSTED. The decisions other people make affect me and my family and have consequences for us 😕 . So I'm not at a high level of compassion for people who I think of as making decisions not only dangerous for them but for everyone else... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Katy said:

At almost two years into this, the time for binary thinking is now. The idea that anything but choosing the vaccine for those who are able to be protected by a vaccine is ridiculous.

Why in the world would you say this!?! If there is *anything* the avalanche of data is telling us is that our approach to this should be nuanced, able to look at complexity, and non-reductionist. Binary thinking pushed by pandemic profiteering is what has gotten us to this terrible, terrible place.  

• Like 5