Menu

Quick…lol…I need a new washing machine

Scarlett

9 hours ago, ktgrok said:

6 hours ago, KathyBC said:

I'm looking at the exact same model, lol

Do you guys know how much it is?  How big is the tub?

The only thing I was worried about my SQ was the tub size……but it is fine.  I washed the same size loads I always wash with room to spare.  

My mom has a May tag with no agitator……she is pretty happy with it over all.  The main thing she doesn’t like is that’s he can’t start  the water before or as she loads it and the lid lock.  But that is so minor compared to not getting clean.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KathyBC said:

I'm looking at the exact same model, lol

Seems to be the only old school one there is, other than speed queen. I'm trying to find out if it has an internal control board or just switches and relays like the speed queen dryer we have. DH loves the internal simplicity of the dryer. 

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

Do you guys know how much it is?  How big is the tub?

The only thing I was worried about my SQ was the tub size……but it is fine.  I washed the same size loads I always wash with room to spare.  

My mom has a May tag with no agitator……she is pretty happy with it over all.  The main thing she doesn’t like is that’s he can’t start  the water before or as she loads it and the lid lock.  But that is so minor compared to not getting clean.

The one I'm looking at says 4.0 cu.ft.  The crappy GE I have right now is 4.4 cu.ft. Not sure what my old sadly-not-indestructible Kenmore oversize was, but it fit a lot. What size is your SQ?

I just don't get why you can't start the water first anymore, or what is so hard about having small, medium and large load settings. Don't bother reinventing if it makes a lesser product!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathyBC said:

The one I'm looking at says 4.0 cu.ft.  The crappy GE I have right now is 4.4 cu.ft. Not sure what my old sadly-not-indestructible Kenmore oversize was, but it fit a lot. What size is your SQ?

I just don't get why you can't start the water first anymore, or what is so hard about having small, medium and large load settings. Don't bother reinventing if it makes a lesser product!

My SQ is 3.2 It is much closer to the size of the old school washing machines if my memory serves me correctly.  My Whirlpool Cabrio that I gave my  DIL is 5.2......It is HUGE and in fact if you filled it with as many clothes as it could handle, then most dryers can't handle it.  

My SIL says she has a very thick king size mattress cover that fits fine in her SQ.  I don't have anything bigger than that so I think I will  be good.  

I think the lid lock is a safety feature.  Dh said a kid could theoretically crawl up in there and drown.  I don't know if that is a real concern or not, but I don't like the lid lock either.

• Like 1

PSA:  I can’t fit a heavy king sized comforter into my SQ, but I can fit a king sized blanket or light comforter.

Also, I bought a new king sized mattress pad at Costco or BBB, forget which, and couldn’t even fit it into my heavy duty old Kenmore, so I took it back.  Not willing to head to the laundrymat every time I want to wash it.  Not even sure their large machine would work actually.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

My SQ is 3.2 It is much closer to the size of the old school washing machines if my memory serves me correctly.  My Whirlpool Cabrio that I gave my  DIL is 5.2......It is HUGE and in fact if you filled it with as many clothes as it could handle, then most dryers can't handle it.  

My SIL says she has a very thick king size mattress cover that fits fine in her SQ.  I don't have anything bigger than that so I think I will  be good.  

I think the lid lock is a safety feature.  Dh said a kid could theoretically crawl up in there and drown.  I don't know if that is a real concern or not, but I don't like the lid lock either.

Isn’t there a pause button to release the lid lock if you need to add something to the washer while it’s running? 

Just got back from the laundromat - oh my goodness is that expensive!!!!!! I mean, I had a lot to wash, and may have underestimated some of the washer load sizes, but dear mercy that was expensive! Smallest washers are 4.75, largest are 9.75, and if you want "heavy" soil it adds on more!!! 

Suddenly the washing machine prices don't seem so exhorbitant!

5 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Isn’t there a pause button to release the lid lock if you need to add something to the washer while it’s running? 

It's not a pause button but on my Speed Queen, I just pull the knob towards me, which stops the washer at that point.  Then I put stuff in.  And if I wanted to, I could leave it for awhile, letting things soak before pushing the knob back in, starting the wash cycle again. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It's not a pause button but on my Speed Queen, I just pull the knob towards me, which stops the washer at that point.  Then I put stuff in.  And if I wanted to, I could leave it for awhile, letting things soak before pushing the knob back in, starting the wash cycle again. 

Swoon......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Mine, too.

Whereas on my Piece of Junk Maytag, pausing the cycle to open the lid meant that it would empty the drum before releasing the lock.  This also meant that it was always impossible to tell how high the water level was during the cycle, because you never could see it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Mine, too.

Whereas on my Piece of Junk Maytag, pausing the cycle to open the lid meant that it would empty the drum before releasing the lock.  This also meant that it was always impossible to tell how high the water level was during the cycle, because you never could see it.

Just FWIW, lest anyone get the idea that ALL Maytags are like yours -- I can pause mine anytime (except maybe while it's spinning--I never tried that). All I do is hit the "pause" button. Then I can open the lid to add an item, or check the water level, or let it soak for a year, or restart it immediately. Just hit the "pause" button again to restart.

Phoned ahead, looking at mid to end of October for washers due to supply chain issues. Of course.
Salesperson felt the 4.0 capacity was probably too small and recommended this one:
https://www.maytag.ca/en_ca/washers-and-dryers/washers/top-load-washers/p.top-load-washer-with-the-deep-water-wash-option-and-powerwash-cycle-4.9-cu.-ft.-i.e.c.mvwc565fw.html

Hope it is okay, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, KathyBC said:

Phoned ahead, looking at mid to end of October for washers due to supply chain issues. Of course.
Salesperson felt the 4.0 capacity was probably too small and recommended this one:
https://www.maytag.ca/en_ca/washers-and-dryers/washers/top-load-washers/p.top-load-washer-with-the-deep-water-wash-option-and-powerwash-cycle-4.9-cu.-ft.-i.e.c.mvwc565fw.html

Hope it is okay, fingers crossed.

What size is your dryer? I think the idea is the dryer needs to be about twice the capacity of the washer. 

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

What size is your dryer? I think the idea is the dryer needs to be about twice the capacity of the washer. 

Oh I still have the ancient old Kenmore Extra Capacity Heavy Duty dryer that matched the (oops we miswired your fuse box) Washer. They will pry it from my cold dead fingers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KathyBC said:

Oh I still have the ancient old Kenmore Extra Capacity Heavy Duty dryer that matched the (oops we miswired your fuse box) Washer. They will pry it from my cold dead fingers.

That's what we used to have! Until it finally blew the control board. To be fair, it was used when we got it from a neighbor, so pretty darned old. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Froste said:

Hi guys! My old washing machine broke, I did some research but still don't know which one to choose. Who can help? I would be very grateful for recommendations.

Please start your own thread instead of resurrecting one over a year old.