Menu

Quick…lol…I need a new washing machine

Scarlett

40 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Well, I think German engineering is generally better than the cap w buy at Lowes. 

That said, heat sterilized poop bits are still gross, lol. I want to know that it is all washed out/rinsed out. I'm just not sure how that happens with so little water - I am picturing yucky clothes just stewing in filth for an hour, lol. 

Ew, yeah, I agree that’s gross. FWIW, and I’ve always run either a cold rinse or quick wash before the sanitary cycle. Because just like I don’t want to bake in smells in the dryer, I don’t want to stew in grossness in the washer 😂. I don’t have a dog in the Speed Queen versus Miele fight, though. I have a humble LG, and a Kenmore before that. I do know that Speed queens were popular amongst cloth diaperers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Ew, yeah, I agree that’s gross. FWIW, and I’ve always run either a cold rinse or quick wash before the sanitary cycle. Because just like I don’t want to bake in smells in the dryer, I don’t want to stew in grossness in the washer 😂. I don’t have a dog in the Speed Queen versus Miele fight, though. I have a humble LG, and a Kenmore before that. I do know that Speed queens were popular amongst cloth diaperers.

Yeah, that's what I did in my HE LG - a quich wash with no detergent, just to try to get most of the yuck out, then a "whites" cycle with detergent, plus an extra rinse. And sometimes that still wasn't enough and I washed again. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Yeah, that's what I did in my HE LG - a quich wash with no detergent, just to try to get most of the yuck out, then a "whites" cycle with detergent, plus an extra rinse. And sometimes that still wasn't enough and I washed again. 

Kind of gives the lie to the whole water saving claim, just like my stupid POJunk Maytag.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 3:01 PM, ktgrok said:

Those with a speed queen, can you open the lid or in other manner soak clothes as long as you want? One of my frustrations with modern washers is that the best "soak" feature is for say, 20 minutes. 

I got a SQ when our old Whirlpool died because of all the recs here.  But I do a 'soak' often and at first couldn't figure out how to do it - my old Whirlpool had a 1-hour soak-only cycle that spun the water out so I could then wash with fresh water.  The SQ has a 'pre-soak' that is only 15? min long and then washes in the same dirty water.  Ick.  

But I finally figured out how to do what I wanted.  I put the stuff in (and don't even fill the tub all the way), raise the lid to pause it (I do have the one you can still open mid-cycle), then after about an hour I cancel the cycle (hold button 3 secs) and reset it to "Spin" which empties the dirty soak water and then I start a new cycle from scratch.

On 7/22/2021 at 3:03 PM, rebcoola said:

We bought the speed queen because  my dh looked inside and said he could  fix everything himself easily.   Which is because it's all mechanical we even have knows and dials not buttons.  

Yeah, that's not an option anymore.  The 'new-new' version they came out with after the 2017 debacle isn't really the same as the old one.  It now has electronic controls and 2(!) motherboards.  Totally unnecessary.  I still wonder if I should have had dh source an old motor for my old all-mechanical Whirlpool on ebay and tried to make it go a little longer.  It was already over 25 years old.  There is NO reason to have electronics in a freaking washing machine (OR dishwasher - my dishwasher's board just went out again - dh is going to replace it but WHY).  Water + electronics = BAD.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, KungFuPanda said:

My machine is 9 years old now, so I can't speak for the newer ones.  It has a feature where I can add more water if I turn the knob backwards and hold it.  I'm much more worried about electricity usage than water usage.  My electric bill is easily 3 times my water bill. Where I live, water falls from the sky . . . often way too much, so my priorities are different.  Our water is soft too and I suspect that helps get them cleaner, faster in a tub of water. In fact, I strongly suspect the water does a lot of work and the detergent takes the credit.  My clothes even got perfectly clean when I used homemade detergent.  

Don't tell Spy Car, but my machine has a prewash feature that I use in situations where stuff is super dirty.  It washes and spins out, but doesn't rinse.  The worst of the dirt gets rinsed away and then you do another cycle that includes a rinse.  

Yeah, my old Whirlpool had both those features (except it sounds like my prewash/soak was longer - I could choose 1/2 hour or full hour) - but the newer SQs do NOT.  There are only two water levels, 'regular' and 'deep fill' - there's no option to add just a bit more water, nor is there any prewash cycle that spins the water out (see my previous post on how to hack the thing to make this happen).  I also really miss my variable fill option on my Whirlpool. 

But... the newer Whirpools are also electronic, not mechanical, and also are missing many of the options of my old one, so what someone else said about 'my 25 year old washer is better' but you can't get that anymore is spot on.  I couldn't get replacement parts, or I would've just fixed my old one instead of buying anything new.

Edited by Matryoshka

On 7/23/2021 at 11:46 AM, Jean in Newcastle said:

No that’s not what they are hearing. They are smart enough to know that I want mechanical parts, no or at least less expensive computerized parts, good performance and durability. 

The newer SQs do NOT have mechanical controls.  Not even the 'new-new' ones.  I was VERY disappointed.  I DO want mechanical controls, but no one has them any more.  The post-2018 SQs with the agitator put back have not one, but TWO electronic boards.  Yuk.

On 7/23/2021 at 2:25 PM, MissLemon said:

Consumer Reports isn't infallible. They made a mistake on the junky Samsung. They're wrong about SQ, too. 

The TR7 reviewed negatively by CR in that article is the "new" 2017/8 one that everyone hated so much they had to come up with the "new-new" one that went back to the old washing style (but now with electronic controls and no variable fill) - which is the TC5.

On 7/23/2021 at 3:54 PM, KSera said:

I’m coming in late, but I don’t understand this statement. I can see that would be true in an industrial laundry setting, but at home, the vast majority of what we wash is on cold water. Most of our clothes call for it, and I’ve seen data indicating that a warm water wash versus a cold water wash doesn’t make a difference in cleanliness because the warm water isn’t warm enough to actually kill anything. I do have a washing machine with a sanitary cycle, and I do use that for things like cloth diapers, wipes and menstrual products, where getting them sanitary matters. Otherwise, it’s cold water. 

Yep, here too.  Other than the things KSera mentions, I wash virtually everything in cold water.

And as far as water savings, it doesn't much matter to me here.  We get water from a well in our back yard, and then the gray water gets pumped back out into same yard.  Water cycle at work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

My very old (20+) Kenmore mixed the incoming water to custom temps, which my 2018 SQ does not.  I’ve never had a water heater set low enough that I didn’t think its hot water would sanitize everything.  

My SQ brings in pure hot on the hot water setting, pure cold on the cold water setting, and half and half on the warm water wetting.  In the winter when the incoming water is so cold that it hurts to wash your hands in it, I use the warm setting for most cold water wash items.  It’s lukewarm and it’s fine.  This time of the year I use the cold water setting.  No problem.  The hot setting is hot no matter what time of the year it is, because that is governed by my hot water heater.

Now that I've spent a bunch of posts (sort-of) defending SQ's honor, I'll talk about how the European (not sure about the American knock-offs) washers heat the water - here, as you say, hot is how hot your water heater is set at.  That can't be hot enough to even scald you - which is typically recommended to be no hotter than 120F.  

European washers' coldest cycle is 30C - which is 86F, probably like our 'warm' cycle, and then there's medium heat at 60C (140F) - hotter than our hot, and then there's what the Germans call "Kochwäsche" - or 'boil wash' which is 90C (194F), so not quite actual boil but getting there.  It's the hotter temps that help them work better with less water.  Now, when I was in Germany I was a bit worried how my American clothes, virtually all of which say "Cold water wash only" on them, would hold up.  Our clothes are all made to be disposable - European clothes are also made to hold up to those higher temps, unlike much of ours which will shrink, pill, run or do lots of other undesirable things at even the coldest temps available (I think the American front-loaders do not heat the cooler settings, just the 'sanitize' cycle, which maybe is a part of the reason for the smelly funk some get??)

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Are SQs more prevalent in some parts of the country than others?  I have never known anyone IRL who has had one and have never used one.  I don't know that I had even seen one until I was looking at purchasing new appliances this past year.  

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

The newer SQs do NOT have mechanical controls.  Not even the 'new-new' ones.  I was VERY disappointed.  I DO want mechanical controls, but no one has them any more.  The post-2018 SQs with the agitator put back have not one, but TWO electronic boards.  Yuk.

My Speed Queen is 8 years old. All mechanical controls. No hidden computer panels. Excellent performance  and zero repairs needed in all this time. 

23 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My Speed Queen is 8 years old. All mechanical controls. No hidden computer panels. Excellent performance  and zero repairs needed in all this time. 

Yeah, I want one like that, but new ones have changed, and can't seem to bribe anyone with the old model to sell me a used one! 😂  I was really annoyed that the new ones no longer had mechanical controls.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, I want one like that, but new ones have changed, and can't seem to bribe anyone with the old model to sell me a used one! 😂  I was really annoyed that the new ones no longer had mechanical controls.

Even Bill can’t bribe those of us with the old Speed Queens!  

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Added “those of”
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

I use that setting all the time! (My machine was used from a military base so it is governed to this as default)-- my repair person said she would come over and reset it if I wanted--NOPE-- It is great the way it is!  My clothes are clean, they are spun 'dry' (very dry actually). 

I'm happy!  I've been happily doing laundry this morning.

--

I drive a Mazda 9.  DH drives a BMW... I suppose the BMW is a 'superior' car... BUT I LOVE my Mazda 9.  It is just what I needed at much less cost!! 

It is just FINE that I drive a Mazda.  I'm happy-- it is a great reliable vehicle.

It is just fine that DH drives a BMW.  He found a great deal on a used one-- and it also doubles as a 'race car' and he loves that hobby!

I'm not going to beat anyone over the head about my car choices.  We are happy.

No regrets.

We have a Mazda 3. Love it. No BMWs here.

On 7/23/2021 at 6:16 PM, popmom said:

@Spy Car so does your Miele stay damp or get mold? That is the one thing about the LGs I’ve used. They always have a little water in the door. Gets a little grungy. 

Generally not. We did have one episode--can't remember all the details--but I think we went out of town and the machine was left closed wet during an episode of hot weather and our previous good luck ran out. The machine smelled kinda funky when we got back. Not good.

So I called my Miele service guy. He said use the anti-mildew stuff called Affresh in conjunction with a sanitizing load or two. I was skeptical and worried. 

But it did the trick.

When I remember, I run periodic sanitizing loads prophylactically (just to be safe).

I don't think any front-loader is immune to the problem. However our 17 year old machine smell fresh after all these years.   

Bill

• Like 1

On 7/23/2021 at 1:31 PM, ktgrok said:

And that he does the laundry, not Mrs. Spy Car. Who for all I know does all the laundry and would say she does rewash stuff, lol. 

Please don't talk uninformed smack about my wife. OK?

Bill

5 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Well, I think German engineering is generally better than the cap w buy at Lowes. 

That said, heat sterilized poop bits are still gross, lol. I want to know that it is all washed out/rinsed out. I'm just not sure how that happens with so little water - I am picturing yucky clothes just stewing in filth for an hour, lol. 

Miele washers clean better than any washers on the market. Clothes come out immaculately.

The picture you have in your head doesn't comport with reality.

Bill

57 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Bloody rude. 

Bill

Seriously? All I said was that if you are not the one doing the laundry, you might not know if sometimes a load needs to be rewashed. That if your wife is the one doing the laundry, she's the one that would know. I don't see how that is rude, or talking badly of your wife.

It's laundry, that's all. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Seriously? All I said was that if you are not the one doing the laundry, you might not know if sometimes a load needs to be rewashed. That if your wife is the one doing the laundry, she's the one that would know. I don't see how that is rude, or talking badly of your wife.

It's laundry, that's all. 

You have serious boundary issues, lady. 

Stop bringing my wife into your baseless and spurious speculations.

Bloody rude.

Bill

Just now, Spy Car said:

You have serious boundary issues, lady. 

Stop bringing my wife into your baseless and spurious speculations.

Bloody rude.

Bill

Bill....you are making an issue where there is one. I said nothing bad about your wife! Saying that you might not have all the info on the daily workings of the laundry if you don't actually do the laundry is not insulting your spouse. 

I have no idea what you are getting upset about. But whatever. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Bill....you are making an issue where there is one. I said nothing bad about your wife! Saying that you might not have all the info on the daily workings of the laundry if you don't actually do the laundry is not insulting your spouse. 

I have no idea what you are getting upset about. But whatever. 

No a bit. Leave my wife out of your        .

Bill

Edited by desertflower
Profanity not allowed
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Not over laundry. You have serious issues that you don't seem to grasp.

Stop it.

Bill

I don't know if you need to sober up or what, but I'm not the one with issues. Maybe your account was hacked? Cause I made that post yesterday, you had no problem with it then, and now you are freaking out over....nothing. I insulted no one. Meanwhile, you are insulting me and swearing. Which is not typical of you. 

But if it helps, I apologize for suggesting anyone in your family might rewash a load of laundry sometimes. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I don't know if you need to sober up or what, but I'm not the one with issues. Maybe your account was hacked? Cause I made that post yesterday, you had no problem with it then, and now you are freaking out over....nothing. I insulted no one. Meanwhile, you are insulting me and swearing. Which is not typical of you. 

But if it helps, I apologize for suggesting anyone in your family might rewash a load of laundry sometimes. 

I think you need lessons in good manners and/or behavioral therapy.

You've gone way (way) over the line.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Confused 2

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

The TR7 reviewed negatively by CR in that article is the "new" 2017/8 one that everyone hated so much they had to come up with the "new-new" one that went back to the old washing style (but now with electronic controls and no variable fill) - which is the TC5.

This sounds like the whole New Coke disaster!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, ktgrok said:

I just took a load of clothes out of a low-end German washing machine..  They are the cleanest clothes I have ever had.  The load included some very stinky work out clothes, muddy socks,, and a shirt that DD had spilled tomato sauce all over and another that had strawberry ice cream dripped on.  several days eariler.  I thought the shirt with tomato sauce on it was probably ruined as it had sat like that for several days.  DD did not even put any spray-and-wash or take any other pre-wash steps.  To my surprise, there is no stain!

That was using the ECO cycle which is 40degreees Celsius.  It did take a couple of hours for the clothes to wash.  There is an express cycle on her machine which will wash a load in 30 minutes at 30 degrees, but it uses more water and more energy than the longer cycle at a higher temp.  

I know a lot of people, however, you have detested their front-loading HE washers in the US.  One of the things I have heard is that it is important to take the clothes out as soon as the cycle ends to prevent mildew and smells.  

The machine DD has costs under $400.  If I could buy it and get it service if I needed in the US I would.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Now that I've spent a bunch of posts (sort-of) defending SQ's honor, I'll talk about how the European (not sure about the American knock-offs) washers heat the water - here, as you say, hot is how hot your water heater is set at.  That can't be hot enough to even scald you - which is typically recommended to be no hotter than 120F.  

European washers' coldest cycle is 30C - which is 86F, probably like our 'warm' cycle, and then there's medium heat at 60C (140F) - hotter than our hot, and then there's what the Germans call "Kochwäsche" - or 'boil wash' which is 90C (194F), so not quite actual boil but getting there.  It's the hotter temps that help them work better with less water.  Now, when I was in Germany I was a bit worried how my American clothes, virtually all of which say "Cold water wash only" on them, would hold up.  Our clothes are all made to be disposable - European clothes are also made to hold up to those higher temps, unlike much of ours which will shrink, pill, run or do lots of other undesirable things at even the coldest temps available (I think the American front-loaders do not heat the cooler settings, just the 'sanitize' cycle, which maybe is a part of the reason for the smelly funk some get??)

I am a bit perplexed about the bolded.  I was just in a European mall and the Levi's store, the Zara, the Bennetton, North Face, Arctyrex, etc. seemed to have the same clothing as in the US stores.  About 1/2 of DD's wardrobe is from the US and about 1/2 is from Europe--she washes her items in Europe in a German washing machine and has not noticed any difference between the US clothing and the European clothing.  There are some items like a pair of lederhosen or a boiled wool jacket that can last generations, but that is not what she is washing in her every day laundry.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I think you need lessons in good manners and/or behavioral therapy.

You've gone way (way) over the line.

Bill

I apologized for suggesting anyone in your home has washed a load of laundry more than once. I don't know why that was offensive to you, or why it was a delayed reaction, but obviously it was. Hence, the apology. 

If you have any other complaints please specify them. 

20 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I apologized for suggesting anyone in your home has washed a load of laundry more than once. I don't know why that was offensive to you, or why it was a delayed reaction, but obviously it was. Hence, the apology. 

If you have any other complaints please specify them. 

Actually, don't. 
This sub-narrative needs to end here.

On 7/21/2021 at 2:14 PM, lauraw4321 said:

SQs are on huge back order in my experience.  I did get one, but I had to wait nearly a month. My husband kept our old washer going, mostly by sheer force of will.

I have an 8 year old Whirlpool Duet that I've never loved and I just talked to my husband about replacing it. We've never replaced an appliance that wasn't broken or at least limping along before, but I'm thinking to go for it under the circumstances.

• Like 1

Just popping in to say we got a new washer installed via the utility company (another story) which uses a ridiculously low amount of water. The wash cycle is nothing compared to the few tablespoons of water that are used for the rinse cycle. There is no way dirty water and soap can be rinsed out with that amount, no matter how long it spins.

Thanks to those here who recommended just running a second load. It seems to be helping. Our clothes do get actually dirty and the smell is horrendous. All those threads about laundry stripping and stinky workout gear make so much sense now. The synthetic fibres smell worst of all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hippymamato3 said:

This is bizarre.

It did seem a lot out of character over such a minor thing.....

And for anyone who cares....10 days since I ordered my SQ.   I've already paid 1/3 of the total.....I will probably have it paid for before I get it.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

It did seem a lot out of character over such a minor thing.....

And for anyone who cares....10 days since I ordered my SQ.   I've already paid 1/3 of the total.....I will probably have it paid for before I get it.

When do you think you should get it?

Just now, Indigo Blue said:

Oh, wow. I know you’re probably anxious to get it. I guess it’s not that bad.

I have tried to not think about it since it may be a while.  My DIL is the one whose machine is about to go completely out.  But I told her she could come to my house while we wait on ours to show up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I have tried to not think about it since it may be a while.  My DIL is the one whose machine is about to go completely out.  But I told her she could come to my house while we wait on ours to show up.

I hope you update here when you get it. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 6:41 AM, KathyBC said:

Just popping in to say we got a new washer installed via the utility company (another story) which uses a ridiculously low amount of water. The wash cycle is nothing compared to the few tablespoons of water that are used for the rinse cycle. There is no way dirty water and soap can be rinsed out with that amount, no matter how long it spins.

Thanks to those here who recommended just running a second load. It seems to be helping. Our clothes do get actually dirty and the smell is horrendous. All those threads about laundry stripping and stinky workout gear make so much sense now. The synthetic fibres smell worst of all.

There are people who talk about how to trick your HE machines to fill with more water. I'm sure you can find some ideas to help with that.

• Like 2

Well, my LG top loader I was complaining about is currently refusing to drain. Guess I got that long soak, lol. DH drained some with a shop vac, I'm headed to the laundromat tomorrow I guess. He gets a bonus on Friday, we may be buying a new washer. No speed queens around (and only Miels in a comparable price range are tiny tiny), but Lowes has the maytag commercial style that some call "the speed queen killer" in stock. So...that may be what I'm getting...if DH can't fix this. 

Also trying to decide if having the laundromat wash and dry and fold for me is a Covid risk, and how serious of a risk. I know the workers wear masks - or they did when I went in there, but they were the ONLY people in there wearing them. If I do it myself I can try to snag an outdoor washer to use. 

1 hour ago, calbear said:

There are people who talk about how to trick your HE machines to fill with more water. I'm sure you can find some ideas to help with that.

I've hunted those up and tried, but didn't seem to help on this low-end machine. The whole weight thing is crazy - workout gear, dog blankets... I've been scared to even try my husband's coveralls - all weigh nothing and are filthy. Can't imagine cloth diapers. To wash twice is taking almost 3 hours. So much wasted electricity, time and effort.
Anyway, we gave it a try for 2.5 months and will be looking at washers Saturday.

• Like 1