Menu

Graduation requirement – Civics Test?

Does your state require all secondary students to demonstrate that they have met the state civics and government standard by successfully completing the civics test or alternate path, and successful completion of this requirement must be reflected on the student’s transcript?

The civics test is a requirement in Arizona.  My niece & nephew graduated in Arizona and passed the test with no problem, and I've heard from multiple (across all ability levels) people the civics test in AZ is extremely easy.  Are you looking for a way to fulfill the requirement?  I think homeschoolers are exempt in AZ, and that it doesn't have to be noted on a transcript.  Can you check your local state regs?

• Like 2

Taking a civics class is a requirement for graduation here.  there isn't specifically a test to pass, just that the class be completed with a passing grade.  In our local high school the classes that satisfy this requirement across the levels are Civics, Honors Civics, and AP Government.  They are normally offered in 10th grade.

• Like 1

So… our State Department of Education does not create a test form, but the statute requires districts use the questions found on the United States Citizenship Naturalization Test. The state does not establish a defined test window for this assessment. They expect most students will take the assessment in their Junior or Senior year of high school, however, the law allows students to take the test any time after entering the 7th grade. The student may repeat the test as many times as is necessary in order to obtain a passing score. Districts may decide how the assessment is given, i.e. multiple choice, question and answer, orally, etc. Districts will also determine the passing threshold a student will need to meet in order to fulfill the graduation requirement. No, the State Department of Education will not collect students’ test scores. However, schools have to add the completion/passing of the Civics Test to the student’s high school transcript.

Civics Questions for the Naturalization Test https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/questions-and-answers/100q.pdf

Civics Test Flash Cards https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/flash-cards/M-623_red_slides.pdf

Quick Civics Lessons https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/flash-cards/M-638_red.pdf

Study for the Test https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/find-study-materials-and-resources

This is a requirement only for government schooled students in our state (not Arizona), but I’m thinking that it would not be a bad idea or even difficult to meet those expectations anyway.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Random said:

The civics test is a requirement in Arizona.  My niece & nephew graduated in Arizona and passed the test with no problem, and I've heard from multiple (across all ability levels) people the civics test in AZ is extremely easy.  Are you looking for a way to fulfill the requirement?  I think homeschoolers are exempt in AZ, and that it doesn't have to be noted on a transcript.  Can you check your local state regs?

Yes, homeschoolers are exempt from AZ's Civics test. AZ is an extremely low-regulation homeschooling state, and has NO requirements of high school students other the requirement for all 1st-12th grade homeschool parents to teach in the 5 core subject areas of:
- Reading
- Grammar (meaning also Writing)
- Math
- Science
- and Social Studies.

There is NO list of required credits or tests for homeschool high schoolers. Those are only for public school students as part of the public high school-awarded diploma requirements.

• Like 1

Lori laughed, but I wasn't trying to be too flip. I mean, they won't care and it wouldn't be an impressive feature of a course description or anything, but you really might want to do it for your own reasons. I used that with 8th graders back when I taught school and did units on immigration. It didn't occur to me to use it with my kids in our immigration unit this year, but we probably should have. It would have been a good little exercise.

• Like 2

I think we're in the same state.  It came around as law for public schools about the time my middle was in grade 11. Maybe the year after? Anyway, My cover school did not require it.  But that US Citizenship online stuff was part of what I wanted to do for my students in Gov't class even before the legislation did it.   Seems like fun and good for all of these game shows we watch and just good knowledge to have.  I didn't report it anywhere. I think I printed out their scores and put in a file cabinet.

I went on the website and copied over the questions into a Word doc.  For my youngest, I made it "multiple choice".   She practiced a lot on the quiz yourself parts. so for us, it was more of a fun way to learn some facts.   I let it count as a small part of their overall grade in their semester Government course.

• Like 1

Not required in my state. However, the president of the University closest to me is planning to institute one as a graduation requirement for the University. Not sure how that will work wrt foreign nationals, maybe they will be exempt (seems too logical to be likely). Will it be required to pass on order to graduate? Does it count for credit? Who, exactly, will administer it? Who is paying for it? Why a civics requirement but not a Covid vaccine requirement (other vaccines are required)? So many questions

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Lori laughed, but I wasn't trying to be too flip...

So sorry @Farrar! I wasn't thinking you were being flip! I just liked you attitude a lot -- go with works for the homeschooling parent on the transcript, and don't worry about or overthink what colleges may/may not be in a tizzy about -- because you are absolutely right -- colleges are NOT going to care about a civics test! 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbollin said:

I think we're in the same state.  It came around as law for public schools about the time my middle was in grade 11. Maybe the year after? Anyway, My cover school did not require it.  But that US Citizenship online stuff was part of what I wanted to do for my students in Gov't class even before the legislation did it.   Seems like fun and good for all of these game shows we watch and just good knowledge to have.  I didn't report it anywhere. I think I printed out their scores and put in a file cabinet.

I went on the website and copied over the questions into a Word doc.  For my youngest, I made it "multiple choice".   She practiced a lot on the quiz yourself parts. so for us, it was more of a fun way to learn some facts.   I let it count as a small part of their overall grade in their semester Government course.

I believe it is also a requirement for teacher certification in some states, just as state history often is. It was covered as part of APUG,presumably so the book can be used in states that require it, but isn't on the transcript since the cover school didn't do it. I did explicitly list it in the course description. 

• Like 1