Menu

Quick COVID question: would getting the vax ping a positive test result?

Ginevra

The very things I love about this board are also the things that make me insane sometimes.  This thread is a great example.  She asked a question and it was answered immediately.  The next 5 pages was a lot of good discussion about options and outcomes etc.  Really, some good info in there from very thoughtful and smart people.  But at some point, as is often the case here, it crossed over from helpful to piling on.  And that is because Quill has made the decision to do something slightly different from what you all and the CDC and the State of MD recommends.  Even though she is on the far side of cautious imo in her daily life which btw, has probably kept her elderly, obese, heart patient boss from contracting it, some on this board just won't stop.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Or maybe anyone reading this will make sure to not post on this board, since they can tell they’ll be piled on. I’ve definitely avoided posting about things I know I’m in the minority on.

I've said that I am not going to quibble over a matter of hours. that her plan is within the guidelines. 

What we are talking about how is the attitude that if one has a job, and it is busy there, quarantine rules are not actually applicable. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I've said that I am not going to quibble over a matter of hours. that her plan is within the guidelines. 

What we are talking about how is the attitude that if one has a job, and it is busy there, quarantine rules are not actually applicable. 

But I think if someone spends any time on here, they know how this board feels about that!! This thread is specifically about Quill’s predicament, which by the way I feel really bummed about. It’s not fair you have to deal with this, Quill.

Edited by Not_a_Number

So, interestingly, people have been arrested for not following quarantine and/or isolation requirements in my state. (the state that never had a mask mandate - go figure)

Seems to vary by state hugely. Which of course is pretty silly given the science doesn't change from one state to another. 

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

But I think if someone spends any time on here, they know how this board feels about that!!

Honestly? I thought I knew how Quill felt about it until last night. 

I would NEVER have expected her to be saying that the quarantine guidelines are ridiculous. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

thought you had a plan that worked?  I was surprised to see this thread still going. Testing again on Sunday and going back to work after those results come back negative?  Wouldn’t that be long enough anyway?  Am I dreaming that up?

That’s my plan, except I even managed to push the retest to Monday; my boss’ wife instructed him to do it that way. It won’t be ten days, nor fourteen, but I think the evidence is against likelihood that by Tuesday, I’m walking around shedding COVID while getting negative tests and not symptomatic. I accept that there may still be a slight possibility, but it does seem very slight if I get that far with no evidence of a positive. By Tuesday morning, It will be six days since I interacted with dh less than six feet apart and non-masked. I mean...It seems good enough to me. But some people clearly disagree. 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Quill never said the rules  (and there aren't rules anyway)  are not applicable. What she said is having a job weighs into the risk she is willing to take vs the benefit of missing work.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Honestly? I thought I knew how Quill felt about it until last night. 

I would NEVER have expected her to be saying that the quarantine guidelines are ridiculous. 

Yeah, well, none of us are rational reasoning robots. All these things are much harder with job and social pressures!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So, interestingly, people have been arrested for not following quarantine and/or isolation requirements in my state. (the state that never had a mask mandate - go figure)

Seems to vary by state hugely. Which of course is pretty silly given the science doesn't change from one state to another. 

And the context of those arrests will definitely matter. Willful, reckless, in your face non compliance will get you arrested in a lot of places I think.  This is not that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Right. Because she feels stressed out and angry about the situation and like she’s letting her boss down!!

I totally understand that. But she’s also floored that anyone thinks this is out of character for her. Calling it “bat sh!t crazy” to follow CDC guidelines because it will inconvenience people at work is why we are in this mess. 

The 7 day plan seems fine.  Lying about the science or saying an entitled boss has a right to require her to not inconvenience him isn’t. I’m sorry a global pandemic is inconveniencing him, but he’s not special. It’s inconveniencing everyone. Frankly the idea that she should be more concerned with inconveniencing her boss than taking care of her sick husband is wrong too. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, well, none of us are rational reasoning robots. All these things are much harder with job and social pressures!!

I get that. I do. But lots of people have job and social pressures. And she said she was NOT being pressured. This was not pressure on her to do something she felt wasn't right, it seems to be her own idea. 

1 minute ago, Quill said:

That’s my plan, except I even managed to push the retest to Monday; my boss’ wife instructed him to do it that way. It won’t be ten days, nor fourteen, but I think the evidence is against likelihood that by Tuesday, I’m walking around shedding COVID while getting negative tests and not symptomatic. I accept that there may still be a slight possibility, but it does seem very slight if I get that far with no evidence of a positive. By Tuesday morning, It will be six days since I interacted with dh less than six feet apart and non-masked. I mean...It seems good enough to me. But some people clearly disagree. 

Yeh, I think that my family members had their quarantines shortened to seven days, based on two separate tests.  So pretty similar to your plan, you’re very close.  Whatever they did was based on something they were told at the testing center. I recall hearing how much it shortened the quarantine and being surprised.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

To be fair, "some people" includes public health experts and the CDC. Risk of you transmitting it on day 6 is about double what it is on day 7. Maybe you feel that is low enough for you, but there is a reason they picked 7 days of quarantine andyou seem to be implying that there really isn't a reason, as long as you feel okay and have a test.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quill said:

I’m not saying he won’t allow it; I’m saying it is not the nature of the work I do and, as he is not a very forward-thinking technologist, he has not moved a lot of things from the old-school, paper-file way to the digital-driven way. The firm where my dd works is thoroughly digital; when the weather was inclement, she worked for days and days from home. But her boss is younger and much more savvy. 

One thing I was scheduled to do yesterday, for instance, was notarize legal documents, with the law clerk as a witness. Well, AFAIK, there is no way to notarize virtually. If there is, it’s not a system I know about or have used. The entire point of sealing a notary seal on a document is to affirm that the person “personally appeared” before me with proof of identity. 

I have a notion of going in tommorow and scooping up some (physical) files so I can at least follow up on some calls and comb medical records for a personal injury case. 

Tangent here, and this may not apply to your situation at all, but it is possible to notarize virtually. We have used online notary services several times during the pandemic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Selkie said:

Tangent here, and this may not apply to your situation at all, but it is possible to notarize virtually. We have used online notary services several times during the pandemic.

Hey, that’s good to know!

I don't see this thread as a pile-on.  Like so many threads the conversation has changed and expanded.  We are no longer talking about can the vaccine affect a covid test.  

I don't think health guidelines have time to be laws on their own.  They depend upon a commitment to the community by everyone.  

I think the US has done especially badly because "freedom" seems to equal everyone doing whatever they choose for themselves.  We don't come through a pandemic that way.

• Like 3

Alright guys. Im Finished now. There are some extrapolations here that are making me really uncomfortable. Have a nice day/week/10 day/2 weeks. I’m going to self-destruct the thread. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

So what would you base quarantine guidelines on?

The mix of scientific papers and anecdotal data I have access to. The CDC is a respected institution, but it’s not agile when new information is constantly coming out. Plus they optimize for messaging and not individual decisions, as we saw with the masks.

Edited by Not_a_Number

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

The mix of scientific papers and anecdotal data I have access to. The CDC is a respected institution, but it’s not agile when new information is constantly coming out. Plus they optimize for messaging and not individual decisions, as we saw with the masks.

Ok, so do tell! What have you found, in that mix, about quarantine times? I linked the stuff I found above - based on computer modeling and a few months old, so could be off now with new variants.It broke it out by no test, pcr test, or rapid test as well. 

This one has a graph for day by day, with no test or pcr test, I think. rapid tests not included. All are for people who have had no symptoms during that time.  https://moffitt.org/endeavor/archive/14-days-10-days-seven-days-plus-a-test/

The 

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.10.39 AM.png

• Like 1

Ok, so do tell! What have you found, in that mix, about quarantine times? I linked the stuff I found above - based on computer modeling and a few months old, so could be off now with new variants.It broke it out by no test, pcr test, or rapid test as well. 

This one has a graph for day by day, with no test or pcr test, I think. rapid tests not included. All are for people who have had no symptoms during that time.  https://moffitt.org/endeavor/archive/14-days-10-days-seven-days-plus-a-test/

The 

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 10.10.39 AM.png

I think we’ll need a new thread for this, since this one will self-destruct! Also, I gotta teach my kids for now.

19 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

How does one self destruct a thread??

I have reported it to the mods. They can do whatever they think is best with it. Im not reading anymore. Well....I read *this*. But I’m not reading anything else anymore. 

• Like 3

clarifying before shut down - I don't think anyone is saying what Quill is doing - basically a 7 day quarantine - is particularly risky. Even if she shortens it by a few hours and goes back Wednesday morning. 

What we were I think discussing (or I was) was the reasoning for the 7 day/10day current guidelines, and our thoughts on the importance on sticking with them. In a more abstract way since she's basically following them anyway. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

clarifying before shut down - I don't think anyone is saying what Quill is doing - basically a 7 day quarantine - is particularly risky. Even if she shortens it by a few hours and goes back Wednesday morning. 

What we were I think discussing (or I was) was the reasoning for the 7 day/10day current guidelines, and our thoughts on the importance on sticking with them. In a more abstract way since she's basically following them anyway. 

I can see that you thought that is what you were doing.  I can also see that it felt like you were specifically targeting Quill's choices.

• Like 1

Just now, Scarlett said:

I can see that you thought that is what you were doing.  I can also see that it felt like you were specifically targeting Quill's choices.

I'm getting that. But truly, I specifically said that I wouldn't blame/shame her for going in a fw hours early. I agree that's nit picking. And that I had originally gotten the day wrong for her last contact, so once that was clarified, her going in on wednesday, test on monday, makes sense, falls into the guidelines, etc etc. 

After that, I meant for it to be a conversation about the guidelines, not her actions...and failed. I am sorry. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Scarlett said:

I think a good general rule is that if an OP feels like they are being piled on, they are probably being piled on 😛 . That doesn't mean that they are necessarily making good decisions or don't in some way deserve to be called on things (not saying anything specifically about this thread, just in general!), but if that's how they feel, there's probably a giant wriggling pile of posters on top of them. 

Just now, ktgrok said:

I'm getting that. But truly, I specifically said that I wouldn't blame/shame her for going in a fw hours early. I agree that's nit picking. And that I had originally gotten the day wrong for her last contact, so once that was clarified, her going in on wednesday, test on monday, makes sense, falls into the guidelines, etc etc. 

After that, I meant for it to be a conversation about the guidelines, not her actions...and failed. I am sorry. 

This is very kind.  Thank you.

• Like 1

I think a good general rule is that if an OP feels like they are being piled on, they are probably being piled on 😛 . That doesn't mean that they are necessarily making good decisions or don't in some way deserve to be called on things (not saying anything specifically about this thread, just in general!), but if that's how they feel, there's probably a giant wriggling pile of posters on top of them. 

As a poster who is often piled on, I agree.  😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

By the way, has anyone ever seen the studies which show that people double down when presented with evidence? THIS is how it works. Think about it 😉 . 

Here's what I mean... not that necessarily people are RIGHT about the specific issues in this thread, but that when you're called on things, mostly what you hear is "you're doing the wrong thing." You aren't in any kind of place to rationally examine the evidence. You simply feel attacked. So it doesn't even MATTER whether the other people are right or wrong. You won't be able to figure it out. 

4 hours ago, Quill said:

I’m not saying he won’t allow it; I’m saying it is not the nature of the work I do and, as he is not a very forward-thinking technologist, he has not moved a lot of things from the old-school, paper-file way to the digital-driven way. The firm where my dd works is thoroughly digital; when the weather was inclement, she worked for days and days from home. But her boss is younger and much more savvy. 

One thing I was scheduled to do yesterday, for instance, was notarize legal documents, with the law clerk as a witness. Well, AFAIK, there is no way to notarize virtually. If there is, it’s not a system I know about or have used. The entire point of sealing a notary seal on a document is to affirm that the person “personally appeared” before me with proof of identity. 

I have a notion of going in tommorow and scooping up some (physical) files so I can at least follow up on some calls and comb medical records for a personal injury case.

It is pretty likely that the court systems will start to require online filings etc, much like the IRS encourages and eventually requires online filings.  It will get harder and harder and maybe eventually impossible to do things the way he does.  He'd better get ahead of the change.

I am unaware of remote notarization at this point (not that I've researched it).  There are other options for notarization.  If he doesn't know a notary who can come to him, they can go to a bank and get it done.  Or whatever else he did when he didn't have an assistant.

Can I just suggest that while you are quarantining / isolating, you do some research and learn some apps or whatever to start making electronic work happen in your office?  Your daughter could probably help you with that.  If you use a laptop at work, can you bring it home and set it up for that?  Tell your boss that you're doing this to prevent work stoppage should you get an actual Covid+ or otherwise need to stay home in the future.  You prefer to work in the office, but it's better to be ready for all possibilities.

Just one more thing about your employer situation.  In my state, there are Covid-era rules that employers can't take any negative action against employees who stay home for any Covid related reason.  We as employers would not dare even say a word about it.  It seems likely that your state has a similar rule, and that your boss knows it.  So I hope that would give you comfort while doing what you feel is right.

@Quill I am very sorry that your husband is sick and that you are in this situation with work (on top of also worrying about getting sick).  I have read some, but not all, of the replies.   I have been around this board long enough to know that you are always careful and have taken Covid very seriously.    You are a conscientious person and are now dealing with an impossible situation with work.   Ideally I know you would stay home.  But we don't live in an ideal world.  We live in an imperfect world and deal with imperfect people (as all of us are).    Therefore you are being forced to make the best decisions you can under these impossible circumstances.   I think you are doing an admirable job and I am sorry that you have gotten some pushback (again, I have not read all replies).  While I know I am a stranger and my opinion really doesn't matter, I just want you to know you have my support and I understand completely how hard this is.    I do hope that no one else in your family gets sick and that your husband recovers completely with no lingering effects.  In case you would like them, I am also sending you hugs.

• Like 3

I know you are no longer reading Quill, but incase you come back.  I hope that your dh gets well soon and you and your son do not fall ill.  We love you and want the best for you.   I totally miss you since you started your job.  🙂 

I am sorry the whole thing happened and that you are in this mess.  I think a lot of things got twisted around when people thought they knew things about you and your dh just because we were assuming you guys went to get tested at the same time together.  Or we didn't know that didn't know that you could easily spread out in your house.  And the last time you had contact with him.  And even where your dh got infected.  I think a lot of the back and forth came from all this and people formed their thoughts on it.  

I do agree that I think that our board as a whole has been/is more conservative about Covid.  I think we were a lot more informed than the public months before hand.  I am going to guess that the public in large is not following the guidelines to isolate.    I would also bet that most people don't even know what the guidelines are in this situation a year after this started.   

Anyway, I am sorry if you feel piled on when you are going through this.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I know you are no longer reading Quill

I didn't realized she wasn't reading anymore.  It makes me both mad and sad (smad) that she felt judged and piled on.   That just isn't right.  I feel very bad for her.

• Like 3