Menu

Reading for Mom

Daniela Whittington

7 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Are you looking solely for books about homeschooling? If you would also welcome fiction or other nonfiction, please mention some other liked books.

Regards,

Kareni

I’m looking for homeschooling books at the moment. I do love fiction though. But for the purposes of this thread I was primarily wanting homeschool related material.

@Daniela Whittington, I copied an old post so some links may be outdated; there might also be revised versions of some of the books.

Some ideas in addition to The Well-Trained Mind:

You Can Teach Your Child Successfully: Grades 4-8 by Ruth Beechick (this book really made me feel that I could homeschool)

Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School by Rebecca Rupp

102 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum by Cathy Duffy

Creative Homeschooling: A Guide for Smart Families, 2nd Edition  by Lisa Rivero

The Read-Aloud Handbook: Seventh Edition by Jim Trelease

For those with children in or approaching high school:

I recommend Jeanne Gowen Dennis's Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission; the author makes homeschooling through high school seem doable. (It is written from a Christian perspective, but I recommend it to all.)

What High Schools Don't Tell You - 300+ Secrets to Make Your Kid Irresistible to Colleges by Senior Year by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

and her other book: What Colleges Don't Tell You by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

Another I'd recommend is How to Get Into the Top Colleges by Krista Klein and Richard Montauk. This book is a helpful overview of the entire college application process and is particularly helpful if your child is aiming toward any moderately selective college.

Books by Cal Newport are well worth reading.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not homeschooling related but if you aren’t already i really recommend “the literary life podcast”.  I mean they are homeschool parents and lots come back to homeschooling.

I really liked Mere Motherhood - finished it in about a day which is fast reading for me right now.

Karen Glass has some good stuff but I find it a bit slower to get through.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

@Daniela Whittington, I copied an old post so some links may be outdated; there might also be revised versions of some of the books.

You Can Teach Your Child Successfully: Grades 4-8 by Ruth Beechick (this book really made me feel that I could homeschool)

Home Learning Year by Year: How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum from Preschool Through High School by Rebecca Rupp

I recommend Jeanne Gowen Dennis's Homeschooling High School: Planning Ahead for College Admission; the author makes homeschooling through high school seem doable. (It is written from a Christian perspective, but I recommend it to all.)

What High Schools Don't Tell You - 300+ Secrets to Make Your Kid Irresistible to Colleges by Senior Year by Elizabeth Wissner-Gross

Another I'd recommend is How to Get Into the Top Colleges by Krista Klein and Richard Montauk. This book is a helpful overview of the entire college application process and is particularly helpful if your child is aiming toward any moderately selective college.

Regards,

Kareni

Thank you for this! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Not homeschooling related but if you aren’t already i really recommend “the literary life podcast”.  I mean they are homeschool parents and lots come back to homeschooling.

I really liked Mere Motherhood - finished it in about a day which is fast reading for me right now.

Thank you so much! I’m about to head over to the podcast and get it set up to listen to in the morning! 

I will for sure check out Mere Motherhood as well! I have two Karen Glass books on my audible wishlist to use my next credits on. Have you read “In vital harmony” or “Consider This”? I’m wondering which one I should get first. 

13 minutes ago, Daniela Whittington said:

Thank you so much! I’m about to head over to the podcast and get it set up to listen to in the morning! 

I will for sure check out Mere Motherhood as well! I have two Karen Glass books on my audible wishlist to use my next credits on. Have you read “In vital harmony” or “Consider This”? I’m wondering which one I should get first. 

Consider This was written first I believe but I’m not sure if the order matters or not as I haven’t read In Vital Harmony.

• Like 1

Maybe this is considered old by now, but in my early years of homeschooling, I enjoyed Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense. It's not a "how" to homeschool; it's more of a "why" to homeschool. Even though I was already homeschooling for a few years when I read this, I still needed encouragement from time to time. It's an interesting, well-written book by award-winning author.

https://www.amazon.com/Family-Matters-Homeschooling-Makes-Sense/dp/0156300001/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=family+matters+guterson&qid=1615812688&sr=8-1

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Maybe this is considered old by now, but in my early years of homeschooling, I enjoyed Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense. It's not a "how" to homeschool; it's more of a "why" to homeschool. Even though I was already homeschooling for a few years when I read this, I still needed encouragement from time to time. It's an interesting, well-written book by award-winning author.

https://www.amazon.com/Family-Matters-Homeschooling-Makes-Sense/dp/0156300001/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=family+matters+guterson&qid=1615812688&sr=8-1

Anything that helps to keep the motivation stoked is well worth a read! I will check this out! 

I Saw the Angel in the Marble by Chris and Ellyn Davis. OOP, I expect, but worth reading. 

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma

Know and Tell by Karen Glass

Towards a Philosophy of Education by Charlotte Mason. This is the 6th in her series and brings together many ideas that she discusses in the earlier books. 

The new version of Mere Motherhood is available from a different publisher, (not CiRCE). you can find it on Cindy Rollins' webpage or The Literary Life one.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I Saw the Angel in the Marble by Chris and Ellyn Davis. OOP, I expect, but worth reading. 

Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics by Liping Ma

Know and Tell by Karen Glass

The new version of Mere Motherhood is available from a different publisher, (not CiRCE). you can find it on Cindy Rollins' webpage or The Literary Life one.

Thank you! I hadn’t heard of “I saw the angel in marble” before. It looks very interesting! 

I’ll check out Cindy Rollins’ website!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Can I just thank you again for the podcast recommendation?! I’m binge listening now 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daniela Whittington said:

Can I just thank you again for the podcast recommendation?! I’m binge listening now 😂

Yup, that’s what happens around here...next thing you know, you’ll be buying a Speed Queen washing machine and an Instant Pot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, Kareni said:

Regards,

Kareni

I picked “The read aloud handbook” by Jim Trelease to start with out of these recommendations and wow! So much information! I don’t know how anyone could read it and not read to their children! Thankfully, I’m much like the author in that I have always read aloud to my children because my parents did when I was a child and so it’s more of a confirmation and encouraging book for me. I’m also glad to have the book recommendations too, of course. Thank you, again, for the recommendations!

• Like 1