Menu

I am not capable of teaching Latin.

dorothy

Boy, do I try. We have gotten through Prima Latina and have started with Latin Prep. I love the program but past chapter one, I am lost. I cannot wrap my mind around the declensions, cases, etc. I literally have NO idea what they are talking about. So, I cannot really teach it to my dd/11 because I cannot answer any of her questions. She does Rosetta Stone Latin on her own and has a lot of vocab memorized but obviously we have to deal with the grammar of the thing! I just do not know how you guys do it. It is a thorn in my side.

I get how important it is. I want it for my dc and I can't figure it out! I feel like such a dunce!!! :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

:grouphug:

I am sorry you are struggling. We did Prima Latina, LCI, LCII, LitCT Volume I, and are now in LitCT Volume II. I NEVER had Latin in school, and while, my ds is definitely better at it than I, I am muddling along with him. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Latin Prep (except that I have heard it is good).

The thing to get about nouns/cases/declensions is this: They are just "groups" of nouns. Each group has its own endings. The first declension nouns have the following endings:

-a -ae

-ae -arum

-ae -is

-am -as

-a -is

Yours may have a separate vocative case thrown is as well. You just have to memorize the endings. These nouns are feminine (with a couple of exceptions for poet, farmer, and sailor). Some gender is "natural" some is kind of just "assigned." You would memorize the endings for 2nd declension masculine nouns (remember - just think of it as a group). Just memorize 'em!

-us -i

-i -orum

-o -is

-um -os

-o -is

You will eventually memorize endings for 2nd declension neuter nouns, 3rd declension nouns, i-stems, and more (that's about as far as we have gotten).

In terms of "case" just think of this as part of speech.

Nominative

Genitive

Dative

Accusative

Ablative

The endings correspond to the type of noun (what declension it falls into) and what part of speech it is within the sentence. There are also singular and plural to consider. Nominative is used for subject or predicate nouns, genitive is used to show possession, dative is used for indirect object, accusative is for direct object and certain preopositions, and ablative is for preopositions. This is somewhat oversimplified, but, hopefully, will help.

Once you get the idea that the endings are clues to how to translate, it isn't too hard. Really. If I can do it, anyone can. Just remember, whereas we would the word "land" and use it as is for all parts of speech, in Latin it would be similar, but slightly different depending on how it was used in the sentence.

I'm not sure I am helping much. Just take deep breaths and keep trying! You CAN do this.

Hopefully, someone who is more Latin-savvy than I will help you more. I am no scholar, but I am learning right along with my ds. It is our favorite suject to do together!

That's why I chose Matin Latin, which is not a popular choice on these boards. But, it is billed as a good curriculum for the non-Latin teacher. It has 1 lesson for English (ex. nouns used as direct objects), then the corresponding lesson for Latin. People who know Latin don't like ML, but it worked well for us. Towards the end of ML2, I really had to work over the lesson and the exercises before I went through it with ds.

We did Minimus, followed by ML 1 & 2. Now, ds is doing Oxford Latin with a retired gentleman tutor. The pronouns are kicking him in the butt and making my head spin. I'm so glad I don't have to try to teach it.

I LOVE the Memoria Press DVD's. I know some have called them "dry" or "boring", but I just love them. We tried Latin for Children, but I think the DVD instruction in Prima or Christiana is far more thorough. I really know nothing of Latin (I learned German--from Minnesota :)) and I couldn't do it without the DVD's. I own all three sets: Prima, LC 1, and LC 2. Watching the lessons ahead of time has helped me really grasp things.

I just ordered Cambridge Latin 1 for fun reading as we move through LC.

My kids are halfway through LC1 and love it. It is academic and does not have all the fun little songs that LfC has, but they know their stuff better when we watch the LC lesson, do copywork of the lesson over the week, review their cards, and take a quiz.

I began Latin about 3-4 years ago. I was not in great health making concentration on this new task of learning Latin very, very difficult.

We kept plugging away, plugging away and I am happy to say it's all coming together. It takes time but you will begin to understand it. I will also say that we are using the Memoria Press dvd's that accompany Latina Christina . . . they are well worth their money and helped with the understanding.

Keep plugging along it will begin to make sense. It takes time.

You could try the book "English Grammar for Students of Latin," seeing explanations of the grammar in both languages should be helpful, the ...students of German version was helpful for me when I was taking German. The online reviews are very positive:

http://www.amazon.com/English-Grammar-Students-Latin-Learning/dp/0934034346/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228616852&sr=8-1

Don Potter also has some free Latin resources, seeing different versions of the same explanation can be helpful for me when I'm struggling to understand a complex subject:

http://www.donpotter.net/Latin.htm

Edited by ElizabethB

I second the Latina Christiana DVDs. I learned right along with my kids. Well, honestly my kids learned better than I did and they helped me through it! Ha!

My problem was that I wanted to know the adult "why" or "where is this leading to?" but my kids just learned what was presented and trusted that it would all come together....and it did.

Myra

I felt the same way with LFC. Had I not purchased the DVDs I would feel lost. I flipped through the workbook and felt overwhelmed, but the DVDs are most helpful. I would recommend anyone without Latin background invest into the DVDs for their program.

The other book I've been using for my own self education is Getting Started with Latin.

The lessons are short, build gradually, and there are audio files available online.

Dorothy,

It takes time. Latin Prep isn't working for you but that doesn't mean nothing else will work, either.

See if you can isolate a single question from your confusion, like, what is a declension? Or what does "case" mean? Go slow and steady, making sure you understand each sentence you read, and stop as soon as you don't understand something until you figure it out. You'll get it eventually.

Getting Started with Latin by Linney takes it one step at a time, one concept per two page spread, so you absolutely can't get in over your head.

I'd second the recommendation of English Grammar for Students of Latin. Lively Latin is also easy for dunce-like teachers. :D

Hi Dorothy,

Dont feel bad. Latin Prep moves very fast. We have been doing Latin a few years with another program before we started with Latin Prep and we have learned things in the first few chapters we hadnt learned in 3 years of another program. And we move very slowly through LP because it is so intense. So realise that Latin Prep is intense and it doesnt mean you cant learn Latin- you just need a gentler pace. Once you "click" how Latin works, which is quite logical, Latin prep wont seem such a mystery, but I can understand it seeming difficult.

I agree with the others - Latin Prep is great, but it moves fast, and it's tough!

Henle actually has more hand-holding.

However, it's hard work, but you can do it. And you know what? You have a great resource here. You can come here and ask any question about Latin, as often as you like, and I bet you'll get plenty of answers. Any time I'm around, I'll be happy to answer.

There is a Galore Park mailing list (someone have the URL handy?) on which you can ask questions about LP, too.

You're educating yourself at the same time, and there are several of us here who have gone before you. Use us! :)

and try to figure it out. I know it's important and I do think it is interesting. I just need the big picture. I wish there was a poster with some kind of diagram or grid that shows how everything relates to everything else. I probably do need the dvds. Thanks for all of the hand-holding. :001_smile:

I wish there was a poster with some kind of diagram or grid that shows how everything relates to everything else.

Oh, how could I forget! It helped me so much to look over the Latin Grammar Spark Chart. It doesn't show how everything relates to everything else, but it does give you an idea of what there is to know. That was important to me.

There's also this chart.

When my son totally out paces me in Latin, I'm going to enroll him in an online class. Until then, he is definitely quicker and more intuitive than me; but I am more logical, try harder, and understand more.

We use Latin Prep, and I will admit that I often don't understand why the answer is so; but, generally, my son does come up with the right answer.

Then, on my own, I watch study a tiny bit of Latin on my own, using several of the resources mentioned in this thread. Getting it from another perspective helps it gel in my mind.

But I know the day will come that he'll need to have a "real" online instructor.

I LOVE the Memoria Press DVD's. I know some have called them "dry" or "boring", but I just love them. We tried Latin for Children, but I think the DVD instruction in Prima or Christiana is far more thorough.

I felt much the same way that the orig poster does. I do recommend the DVDs if they will be what keeps you doing Latin. Yeah, they are dry. But they beat frustration and hair-pulling.

One of the best pieces of advice that I heard was from the yahoo Latina Christiana group . (I don't know how to tell you to join - but I am sure someone can - you get emails with questions from users and "veterans" who use Latina Christiana.(

Anyway, the great advice was to focus on the vocabulary for the first few years - Yes, pay attention to declensions, conjugations, etc. - but if you're children are mastering the vocabulary, songs, prayers, etc. - then LC1 & II are worthwhile and you *are learning Latin*. Granted, I felt lost sometimes but it all cleared up slowly as we pressed on.

We are in our 5th year of Latin (LC1, LC2, Review Year, Henle 1 (Units 1-2); Henle 2 (Units 3-5) - and for the most part, the last two years have been a great "coming together" for me of understanding declensions and conjugations and Latin grammar in general. We have switched to a co op setting for Henle and that has been wonderful - but my dtrs have done better than myself all the way through - and I wasn't always the best teacher - we just kept pressing on. Often they would grasp something thoroughly and I would be struggling - then a few lessons later, something would be clear to me.

FWIW, we do LC 1 w/o the videos and then in LC2, we switch to the DVDs.

I know a lot of people also say to focus on derivatives but I have a little trouble with that as most of the derivatives are above the vocabulary level of our young Latin students. So for us, the "derivative" part of the lesson is more about exposure of Latin roots and their vast influence on the English Language - and not really about the vocabulary enhancement.

Press on, it pays off in huge ways. Just a little tip - Remember, that Latin words are governed by how they are used in the sentence (i.e. parts of speech). Make, buy or download a big declension 4X6 card (LC 1 or 2 covers this) or 8x11 sheet and use it as your "cheat sheet". A list of what words are in what declension groups helps too.

Lisaj, mom to 5 (currently LC1, LFC "B", and Henle Year 1 (Units 3-5).

Btw, I find LC the most "teachable" of these 3 curriculums but we are hoping to move the middle student into Henle Year 1 at a co op and the co op uses LFC "B" for the students prior to Henle so we wanted to "be on the same page"