Menu

Diet for Psoriasis, What can I serve?

Moonhawk

To clarify: A diet to lessen psoriasis symptoms.

This is specifically for DH, who loves (loved) all things spicy. And tomatoey. I've cut out tomatoes and chiles, which is a huge huge deal here. But now am reading that chickpeas (ie legumes) might be bad? That would explain why he thought his symptoms got worse after the lentil soup (which is a freezer staple, uh oh), and our diet does contain a lot (a lot a lot) of beans. The internet either says "these are great" or "they will kill you." I know it's different from person to person, but any experience would be helpful.

Any experience with psoriasis symptoms and legumes?

Any favorite non-nightshade recipes? Or Auto-Immune Protocol (AIP) recipes?

Two dinners or even 2 pots is not an option at this point. I finally have a stove with more than 1 burner but I can't add on any more complications. Any food I make has to be for the whole family, no singling out people.

Basically, my recipe book is decimated, and I'm deciding if I can find a middle ground or if I need to go full AIP style, but I just saw that CUMIN is not allowed?

Like, I'm willing to jump off a bridge for this guy, but a cumin-less life may be a bridge too far. Help me, Oh Boardies, you're my only hope!

(eta: He did notice an immediate difference when he stopped eating tomatoes and dairy. But since then (about a month), he's noticed fluctuations in his symptoms that I haven't been able to pin down, so I started to think it wasn't diet-related. But...then the lentil soup, and now I'm thinking I could probably get his symptoms a lot better if I did more work on the diet.)

Edited by Moonhawk

I do not have psoriasis,  I have a closely related AI disease= Ankolysing Spondylosis, for which I take Cosentyx which was originally just for Psoriasis, but now is for that, Psoriatic Arthritis and AS, because they are all closely related in a genetic way.  

Anyway, I can't help you with recipes because I haven't found that diet changes my AI diseases at all.  Except that I feel better when I eat better- but that has nothing to do with what specifically I eat just better prepared food and I think that is mostly, but not totally, based on that I am a foodie and well prepared food makes me happier.  

Is he on any medication???  Because the really cool thing about many of the medications is not only do the help the original autoimmune disease, but they seem to also lessen heart attacks, and just today I was reading about how they lessen the chances of getting type 2 diabetes.  At least one of the biologics seems to lessen chances of Alzheimer's too.  Because lower inflammation in the body really helps a lot of things.

• Like 3

I'm in the same predicament, although I can eat other things I just don't want to deal with extra dishes, mess, etc. of making multiple dishes for meals. It's too much! For ease of cooking, if I were you I would make an AIP meal as the main meal for everyone (which is basically some kind of meat and veggies), and then have some extras for non-AIP people (bread, rice, cheese slices, etc). 

I think going full AIP is what could potentially put psoriasis into remission... and doing some AIP is likely to help but not fully get at the root cause. Although who knows if full AIP works for everyone or even most people. I don't know if it's mainstream enough yet to have lots of people's experience accounted for. 

• Like 1

I'm agreeing with TravelingChris.

Diet changes will be helpful only if there is something in the diet provoking worsening of the skin condition.  So, for my sister who is allergic to dairy....if she has dairy, her psoriasis worsens.  But, eliminating dairy from her diet doesn't make her psoriasis go away.

I would not go to an ultra-restrictive diet if there is no need to do so.  Seriously. And I say this as a person who tried all of the restrictive diets in hopes that my autoimmune issues would go away.

Has he seen a doctor?

Ultimately, I think on a nutritional level I would focus on healthy fats (omega 3s), vitamin D, and probiotics.  I would try do a trial on gluten-free, egg-free, and dairy-free over 6 weeks to make sure those weren't triggers....but I wouldn't be crushed if changing his diet doesn't dramatically improve things.  Genes got triggered...  

FWIW, they did talk about the correlation with heart disease, right? If he is obese, I would focus on eating healthfully and exercising. The overall problem is inflammation in the body, the expression of that inflammation is happening through the skin....but the inflammation itself also affects organs. 

• Like 4

I'm another one with AI diseases that don't seem to be affected one way or another by diet. That said--I do eat a relatively healthy, low processed foods diet. I don't know how I would be if I ate a lot of processed foods, sweets, etc. I eat tons of tomatoes, spicy foods, beans, cumin, etc.

• Like 2

AFA eating goes...can you afford to buy an instant pot?  Honestly, I got one when we all had to go GFCF.  It was a complete lifesaver.   We did a simple meat + veg for a couple of weeks, then added stuff back in. Beans were the first to come back, then rice, then lentils and other legumes.  The half life of dairy protein is 17 days. Make sure you trial a dairy-free life for at least three weeks.

I can't imagine a cumin free life either.

In terms of meals, let me know what you are working with.  My cookbooks have been decimated also, because of true food allergies.  If your budget can't handle feeding everyone the same way, use the IP to bulk cook his food while you work out the food issues, and make your own food the rest. Chicken breasts are easily bulk cooked and then reheated.

• Like 2

I did a strict 3 month no-nightshade trial and honestly found no difference in my autoimmune symptoms.  But I don't have psoriasis. 

But I did discover "no-mato sauce". https://www.shockinglydelicious.com/no-mato-sauce-tomato-free-pasta-sauce-for-secret-recipe-club/

ETA - there are a number of nomato recipes out there.  Some use different ingredients.  Both my kids liked this one when young. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Sorry guys, looks like I edited during replies, lol. 

Cutting out tomatoes and dairy made a difference for him. IDK which was the culprit but I think it was the tomatoes more than the dairy. A noticeable difference in his itchiness levels, and in the visible patches I could see. So, it seems for him diet is somewhat an aggravator: I know it has to do with genes etc., but anything I can do to alleviate it I feel like I should be putting in the effort. 

Our diet was already pretty Whole Foods and unprocessed. Right now I'm cooking a lot of whole chickens, then making stock and a soup the next day. Stir fry on rice, some curries without tomatoes or red peppers.

We do have an instant pot, which I don't usually use but it's here. We don't have any other allergies I need to work around. 

He has seen a doctor that gave a few options medication-wise, which he wanted to wait on since at the time the symptoms weren't too bad. But they've gotten worse over the past year, and getting another appointment is out ~6 months,  and IDK if he will take anything that is immune-suppressant anyway (eta until symptoms are much worse), which I think were all the options recommended at the last appt. 

Edited by Moonhawk

As for not taking immune suppressants, you do know that many of the problems with COVID seem to be overactive immune response to the virus rather than the virus itself?  That is why the medicine with the best results right now being used in the hospitals with those who are not newly sick is a steriod, which is an immune suppressant.

But do try to figure out if it is the tomatoes or the dairy.  Because then you can add back the other.

• Like 1

I have it.  Diets made to help really did nothing for me.   I can eat tomato based products only 2 times a week or it does bother it. Dairy is fine for me.   I don’t take any of the suggested medications as I found natural things that are working best for me right now. Did anyone talk to him about the vitamin D cream? It has made such a difference for me.  I don’t buy the prescription version as it was too expensive on my insurance(over 100 a tube) but I get one on Amazon.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1

More recipe ideas:

Pizza without tomato sauce - either a white sauce or oil based.  http://thewoodfiredenthusiast.com/basic-white-pizza-sauce-w-garlic-parmesan-herbs/?epik=dj0yJnU9ZzlSUEFCRVpTMHdYMGQ5ZHR5aVJJekdFMlN6WXpHSUcmcD0wJm49Unc0cHZ1S0dPRzhlR29TLVhUQmFlQSZ0PUFBQUFBR0FURXY4

I use a vegan "parmesan cheese" instead of dairy in the above recipe.  Leave out the red pepper flakes.

I use yams instead of potatoes.

egg roll in a bowl

peanut satay sauce but without a red pepper flakes. 

Use ginger for "spiciness" instead of chili peppers.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

As for not taking immune suppressants, you do know that many of the problems with COVID seem to be overactive immune response to the virus rather than the virus itself?  That is why the medicine with the best results right now being used in the hospitals with those who are not newly sick is a steriod, which is an immune suppressant.

But do try to figure out if it is the tomatoes or the dairy.  Because then you can add back the other.

My mom's doc said she "wouldn't get Covid" because she's on Humira for her psoriasis. I thought she maybe didn't understand, but this brings a little insight, thanks.

Edited by carriede
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I have it.  Diets made to help really did nothing for me.   I can eat tomato based products only 2 times a week or it does bother it. Dairy is fine for me.   I don’t take any of the suggested medications as I found natural things that are working best for me right now. Did anyone talk to him about the vitamin D cream? It has made such a difference for me.  I don’t buy the prescription version as it was too expensive on my insurance(over 100 a tube) but I get one on Amazon.  

No -- it was a very fast and unconvincing couple doctor appointments. I'll look into this, thanks.

42 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

It's not a Covid concern, as much as just a general he doesn't want to be on an immune suppressant long term. But thanks for the info -- that's probably one of the most convincing arguments I could give him to get on one if it comes to it. 

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Re. lentil soup.  Is your recipe tomato free?  All the recipes I've seen for lentil soup lately include tomatoes in some form.

Yes, tomato free. I was actually so happy it would be kept in rotation because of that. Alas, my happiness was premature. 

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

Yes, tomato free. I was actually so happy it would be kept in rotation because of that. Alas, my happiness was premature. 

Well, AIP is based on the idea that leaky gut is the cause of the inflammation, and (I think) that leaky gut is what triggers autoimmune symptoms. So the theory is that healing the gut regulates the immune system. If it's not just a food or a few foods, but general gut issues, maybe leaky gut is something to think about. 

• Like 1

I have a sibling with pretty severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.  I know he's tried a lot of things over the years, and he's very disciplined about eating what helps.  I don't know what he's settled on now.  I notice that he's very careful about how he eats though:  rarely if ever eats sweets or junk foods, and very little dairy;  mostly eats very simple, healthy, made-from-scratch meals, plus takes fish oil and vitamin D, also healthy oils.  The only bread he eats is sourdough, and he generally drinks 1-2 glasses of red wine/night.  Of course the best thing of all is warm sunshine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, they did talk about the correlation with heart disease, right? If he is obese, I would focus on eating healthfully and exercising. The overall problem is inflammation in the body, the expression of that inflammation is happening through the skin....but the inflammation itself also affects organs. 

Forgot to respond to this Q: he's not obese, he could exercise more but I think he's 140lb at 5'11". He does go on walks 5-7 days a week, between 1/3 hr to 2 hours just depending on his mood (its a coping mechanism for depression), and restarted P90 with the new year (only 2-3 times a week, but more than I'm doing, ha). He's the type that chooses salad for his midnight snack and will pass over chips for carrots, etc. No caffeine. His one unhealthy food is chocolate, but it's maybe an ounce or two a day. 

They didn't talk about correlation with heart disease, no. He would have completely freaked out if he knew that. But he does have a history of Afib so thanks for mentioning it to me, I'll have to look it up and store that info.

• Like 1

I have extremely severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.  I've had it since I was a teen.  It is genetic. 

Yes, some food avoidance  (like tomatoes) can help a tiny bit during a bad flare-- but it does nothing for the root cause and will not cure it. 
I've tried just about every home remedy... I tried an extremely restrictive diet... maybe a few flakes were smaller-- but my hair and skin dried out and besides starving, I felt terrible-- Dr said not to continue as my body was not getting nutrients it needed (Dr did NOT suggest this diet-- a friend sent me the book...unsolicited advice is another story-- 'put a bit of aloe vera on it and you will be cured'...)

I was one of the first US patients to use 'biologics' for psoriasis.  I'm currently taking Cosentyx--one shot once a month.  Skin almost 100% clear (compared to 80-90% covered!) and my joints are not swollen-- so less pain and better yet-- less permanent damage due to psoriatic arthritis-- this means I will maintain the movement in my hands and feet for many years more that if I was not on this drug.  If you have health insurance Cosentyx has a co-pay assist program.  I pay $0 per month.  If you do not have insurance they have other programs to help cover all or a major part of the cost.

While biologics are immune suppressants--  they do not suppress your whole immune system.  Cosentyx only turns off a tiny piece of the T-cells-- the part where the bad gene is that causes the 'over-inflammation' that makes your skin cells think they need to make a scab where there is not an injury (psoriasis). 

Psoriasis is not caused by 'leaky gut'-- that is another issue completely different.  It is GENETIC.  I did nothing that caused this. A diet for 'leaky gut' or similar 'remedies' will not turn my blue eyes brown!

There is a link between chronic infections such as strep that leave particles behind that can trigger the psoriasis gene.... probably what happened to me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, carriede said:

My mom's doc said she "wouldn't get Covid" because she's on Humira for her psoriasis. I thought she maybe didn't understand, but this brings a little insight, thanks.

But that is an oversimplification since I do believe that on my facebook groups there have been people on biologics who have gotten COVID.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kanin said:

Well, AIP is based on the idea that leaky gut is the cause of the inflammation, and (I think) that leaky gut is what triggers autoimmune symptoms. So the theory is that healing the gut regulates the immune system. If it's not just a food or a few foods, but general gut issues, maybe leaky gut is something to think about. 

My autoimmune is caused by my genes and then also triggered by viral meningitis, I believe and later on, even more strongly by the stress of the death of my mother at 23 when my dad had already died when I was 13.  I have found that stress is a huge trigger of flares for me as well as weather changes and pollen/allergy issues.  I suspect that just like in Asthma, where different people have different triggers, it may very well be the same for most autoimmune diseases.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

My autoimmune is caused by my genes and then also triggered by viral meningitis, I believe and later on, even more strongly by the stress of the death of my mother at 23 when my dad had already died when I was 13.  I have found that stress is a huge trigger of flares for me as well as weather changes and pollen/allergy issues.  I suspect that just like in Asthma, where different people have different triggers, it may very well be the same for most autoimmune diseases.

Agreed. I'm fairly certain that the stress of DH's cancer diagnosis is what triggered my RA.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Psoriasis is not caused by 'leaky gut'-- that is another issue completely different.  It is GENETIC.  I did nothing that caused this. A diet for 'leaky gut' or similar 'remedies' will not turn my blue eyes brown!

There is a link between chronic infections such as strep that leave particles behind that can trigger the psoriasis gene.... probably what happened to me. 

Sorry, I wasn't trying to play Dr. Google. I'm reading a book about autoimmunity right now and it's been on my mind. The author is making the case that there needs to be a genetic predisposition towards autoimmune disease + a trigger of some sort (infection, hormones, other stuff) + leaky gut. Obviously I don't know if it's true but that's what she says. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

I have extremely severe psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.  I've had it since I was a teen.  It is genetic. 

Yes, some food avoidance  (like tomatoes) can help a tiny bit during a bad flare-- but it does nothing for the root cause and will not cure it. 
I've tried just about every home remedy... I tried an extremely restrictive diet... maybe a few flakes were smaller-- but my hair and skin dried out and besides starving, I felt terrible-- Dr said not to continue as my body was not getting nutrients it needed (Dr did NOT suggest this diet-- a friend sent me the book...unsolicited advice is another story-- 'put a bit of aloe vera on it and you will be cured'...)

I was one of the first US patients to use 'biologics' for psoriasis.  I'm currently taking Cosentyx--one shot once a month.  Skin almost 100% clear (compared to 80-90% covered!) and my joints are not swollen-- so less pain and better yet-- less permanent damage due to psoriatic arthritis-- this means I will maintain the movement in my hands and feet for many years more that if I was not on this drug.  If you have health insurance Cosentyx has a co-pay assist program.  I pay $0 per month.  If you do not have insurance they have other programs to help cover all or a major part of the cost.

While biologics are immune suppressants--  they do not suppress your whole immune system.  Cosentyx only turns off a tiny piece of the T-cells-- the part where the bad gene is that causes the 'over-inflammation' that makes your skin cells think they need to make a scab where there is not an injury (psoriasis). 

This is interesting.  I think you and my brother must be at a similar place.  His was triggered in graduate school, when he was working full time, going to school full time, had a young family with two babies and had recently gotten a bad concussion from falling off his bike on his way to school in the winter, on top of other infections and illnesses -- probably from lack of sleep!  We have several other autoimmune conditions in the family, although no one else has psoriasis.  

9 hours ago, carriede said:

I mean, you can certainly get Covid while on Humira. One of my extended family members is on Humira and is also nearly two weeks into Covid. Neither his doctor nor anyone at the hospital seemed surprised. That strikes me as a very irresponsible thing for a doctor to say; it might lead his patients to think they don't have to take covid precautions.