Menu

PSAT Thread for 2020

Since there might not be one yet, maybe this could be it.

My dd did the October test date and said that the math section was not like some of the difficult practice ones she had done. Her score was great but I'm wondering is the overall scores are also much better. She is well above the usual  cutoff for NM for our state but I'm wondering how much the cutoff score may go up.

• Like 2

Congratulations to your student! Well, this is the first results thread I’ve seen! I recall discussions about whether people would be able to find spots for PSAT this year and whether it was worth the risks, etc. but those were sidebar discussions, not about the test itself. 

My DD’s local school didn’t offer the October test. They are *supposedly* offering it in January, but I’ll be surprised if they do since they’ve been virtual all year. Not sure if it matters in my DD’s case— her ACT score is 96th percentile and she has prepped specifically for ACT, so I don’t expect her PSAT would make the NM cut-off. 

18 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

Congratulations to your student! Well, this is the first results thread I’ve seen! I recall discussions about whether people would be able to find spots for PSAT this year and whether it was worth the risks, etc. but those were sidebar discussions, not about the test itself. 

My DD’s local school didn’t offer the October test. They are *supposedly* offering it in January, but I’ll be surprised if they do since they’ve been virtual all year. Not sure if it matters in my DD’s case— her ACT score is 96th percentile and she has prepped specifically for ACT, so I don’t expect her PSAT would make the NM cut-off. 

My dd hasn't taken the ACT yet. It is much more common around my area than the SAT and therefore easier to find a place to take it, so I think she will try the ACT next.  My dd took the PSAT last year as a practice, and did not really score near the cutoff but decided to do it this year for test taking practice. I guess one advantage of living somewhere with very little in the way of Covid restrictions is that they go ahead with tests. When she took it our positivity rate here wasn't as high as it is now, and they did have to wear masks and were placed even further apart than usual. I would very much rather be living where people were being careful though! Her score was a really nice surprise. We had her do the Erica Meltzer Grammar book and Khan Academy math prep and it really seemed to help. We aren't sure if it will help her with scholarships at the schools she is looking at, although I checked today and one of them has a new NM scholarship that started this year.

38 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

Don't count her out!  I didn't think mine would make it last year but she did!  She prepped for ACT, not SAT.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Interesting! I may just register her...if they actually hold the test. I guess a lot can change in 7 weeks!

Sounds like it’s definitely worth her while. They are different tests maybe, but a lot of the test taking skills apply to both.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a direct link to speculations about 2022

https://www.compassprep.com/psat-national-merit-class-of-2022/

My daughter is at the highest value our state has had (the first year of the new PSAT I think) and a point higher than it was in the two highest in the last 3 years. So we are watching this with interest, though it seems there aren't as many scholarship opportunities from it as there were 10 years ago.  

1 hour ago, Kendall said:

So we are watching this with interest, though it seems there aren't as many scholarship opportunities from it as there were 10 years ago.  

Congrats on the good score! If the situation doesn't change, U of Alabama & many of the Florida schools have great packages. Florida is through the state-wide Benequisto which is good even for out of state NMF students. But many offers change each year, so it is good to keep vigilant.

• 2 weeks later...

My junior took it in October. She had a misbubbling error, ugh. Scores will have to plummet here for her to get NM. In retrospect, I wish I had held her off until January, but there seemed to be so much uncertainty as far as a testing location then. She took the SAT in October too, and did fine, but will take it one more time. She is ready to take it seriously now.

• Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

And we got snowed out...

We got 2-hour delayed, but they pulled it off. They did a practice test a few months ago because I knew they would need to get a feel for the timing. Despite liberal strewing on my part, I think that was the extent of test-prep that they did. <roll eyes> <scream> <yikes> I was so happy to hear that they both finished all the test in the time. I'm not expecting stellar scores, but I have this pessimistic approach to life that sometimes undersells my dc, so I'm trying to be more wait and see about the whole thing. So glad to have this first big standardized test under their belts. Phew.

35 minutes ago, MamaSprout said:

And we got snowed out...

Weird double quote.....

• Like 2

On 12/8/2020 at 12:43 PM, TCB said:

She is well above the usual  cutoff for NM for our state but I'm wondering how much the cutoff score may go up.

Right now, word is cutoff scores will likely be lower this year.

So soory, @MamaSprout. I can't remember:  is this junior year for yours? If so, try "alternate entry" if you can. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Right now, word is cutoff scores will likely be lower this year.

So soory, @MamaSprout. I can't remember:  is this junior year for yours? If so, try "alternate entry" if you can. 

Well... we were going to use her score (in part) to determine that. She was grade-skipped in elementary and then got sick in 8th/9th grade so we "un-grade-skipped" her. I think she's decided to consider herself a 10th grader, though, so I'm less concerned. She does have an SAT scheduled for March.

I was joking that the ONE day I try to send her to the local public school, they cancel....

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/27/2021 at 8:02 AM, MamaSprout said:

And we got snowed out...

My school district ask all juniors to go by alternate route. Schools are all virtual until at least April so they aren’t hosting PSAT this academic year.

My junior has a March SAT but we don’t know if that might be canceled as well. His November SAT was canceled.

• Like 1