Menu

Rebooking for Excelsior's lack of xmas travel *WHINE, UPDATE and RENAMED*

Excelsior! Academy

If you are home in quarantine and want to commiserate with me on our cancelled Christmas travel plans in the middle of a world wide pandemic, you are in the right place.  We have airline tickets booked with American Airlines over Christmas.  The tickets were booked back in the summer when lock downs were lifting and in a moment of foolish optimism about the virus quickly going away.  American changed our flight itinerary from a direct flight to layover, so that qualified us for a full refund.  Unfortunately, you have to cancel within 24 hours of receiving said notification.  So now I'm stuck with 10 plane tickets and while I can cancel for travel credit, I cannot receive a refund.  Because I have no idea when a good time to rebook will be, I have no idea what to do.  This was our Christmas so I have no presents purchased or Christmas planning done.  at. all.  

ORIGINAL POST

My family is planning to travel to California for Christmas.  We booked the airline tickets and rental car months ago and will be staying in an isolated airbnb on an acreage.  Other than seeing my mother and her husband we will not be around others once we arrive.  I have been watching the travel requirements for Los Angeles county and am getting concerned about returning home on schedule.  Is the 14 day self-quarantine an enforceable requirement or just a strong suggestion?  I know we need to fill out the travel form upon entering CA,  but will we be able to fly home?

Kindly....I am not asking whether you think we should travel, just whether it's legally allowable.  We aren't ones to bend the rules. This will only be the 3rd Christmas I will be with my mother in 21 years and it was booked months ago, before the travel restrictions and current quarantines.

Edited by Excelsior! Academy
  • Sad 1

I don’t believe the quarantine is enforceable at this time.  The sheriff in Los Angeles has more important things to be doing than monitoring people at the airport.  But, and this is a huge but, Los Angeles is not currently in the super strict stay at home order that went out yesterday yet.  If and when that happens I don’t know what the situation will look like.

I read the new rule as 14 day self quarantine for someone coming from out of state. Not for someone leaving California. For my county, it takes effect from tomorrow 10pm.

If you arrive in California from other states or countries, including returning California residents, you should practice self-quarantine for 14 days after arrival. You should also limit your interactions to your immediate household. This recommendation does not apply if you cross state or country borders for essential travel. 
https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs/#regional

In my state the travel quarantine is for 14 days OR for the duration of the visit. So if someone was only planning to be here 7 days, they would quarantine for those 7 days and then go home. Maybe CA is the same? Also, I would expect states with a 14 day travel quarantine to be updating that guidance to match the new CDC quarantine guidelines which is down to 10 days or 7 with a test on day 6 or 7. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Thank you all for replying.  As we've seen covid  cases grow and subsequent travel restrictions, we've decided to postpone our trip.  Now the problem is deciding when to reschedule.  

You did the right thing. Our ICU capacities are dangerously low and there are warnings that if the thanksgiving activities result in more hospital admissions in the next weeks to come, there will be tighter restrictions. We are under SIP from tomorrow. 
perhaps wait until Spring and check what restrictions are there  then?

• Like 1

• Excelsior! Academy changed the title to Rebooking for Excelsior's lack of xmas travel *WHINE, UPDATE and RENAMED*
On 12/5/2020 at 5:56 PM, Excelsior! Academy said:

Thank you all for replying.  As we've seen covid  cases grow and subsequent travel restrictions, we've decided to postpone our trip.  Now the problem is deciding when to reschedule.  

I personally don’t really believe things will be getting better until late summer at the earliest.  I don’t think there will be massive vaccine buy-in, at least not enough to get herd immunity, and many people generally forget to get the second dose of any vaccine.  

are you able to just hold onto the credit and rebook down the road?

• Like 1

How long is the credit good for?   I wouldn't book things now at all.  Wait and see how the vaccine plays out. 

I am so surprised that they are only giving you a credit.  We had a trip to Tokyo in March.  We got a full refund.  There was a whole thing in the airline industry that said that people had to get refunds not credits. 

21 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How long is the credit good for?   I wouldn't book things now at all.  Wait and see how the vaccine plays out. 

I am so surprised that they are only giving you a credit.  We had a trip to Tokyo in March.  We got a full refund.  There was a whole thing in the airline industry that said that people had to get refunds not credits. 

The voucher would be good for travel up until December 31, 2021. If ticket prices rise we are required to pay the difference.  

Just now, Excelsior! Academy said:

The voucher would be good for travel up until December 31, 2021. If ticket prices rise we are required to pay the difference.  

Oh good.  I am glad they give you the year.  I wouldn't book things for awhile.  Hopefully by summer things will be better.  Vaccines will be given out to everyone.