Menu

December Frugalistas 2020

mommyoffive

A lot hit all at once on dental.

Dh literally needs a mouth full of crowns. Dentures would be cheaper. He is half of the bill.

I needed my first root canal and crown this past January. $2k after insurance.

Youngest needed a palate expander plus two phase braces. This first phase is about $7k....that was unexpected. Younger son’s braces were expected. We’ve put off older daughter’s until next summer so we can get younger son done.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

4 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I hope they handle it in a safer way now.  That is neat that you get a menu.  We don't even get one in the boxes

We don't get a menu either which led to a funny story on Monday. My college DD and I were sorting the food for fridge, pantry, freezer. She said "Corn dogs! Sweet!". I was sorting something that I decided were cheese curds (we're close to WI, what can I say?). So, for lunch she pulls out her corn dog and decided to go for the cheese curds. Well, when she opened the container of cheese curds, she said, "Wait these are mini corn dogs. So, in the same package we got corn dogs and mini corn dogs? Weird." She cooked the big corn dog and bit into it - it was a pancake wrapped around a sausage. Still good, but not with ketchup and mustard LOL.

Here you walk up to the foyer of a school, and hand the (masked) lady a sack and tell her how many meals. She takes your bag and brings it out filled with food. Often they give you a spare bag or two as well above the amount you ask for. 

Urologist appointment today. Surgery will probably be needed, but it can wait. The stones aren't doing any damage right now. So, he said if I ever hit my deductible and want to blow these stones up, he'll do it. I'm just gonna hope the stones don't shift for a while.

I am so sorry about the furnace, Saraha. That sucks. We've just about paid off our new furnace which was installed last year.  

Wow on the dental bills, PrairieWind. How awful! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

A lot hit all at once on dental.

Dh literally needs a mouth full of crowns. Dentures would be cheaper. He is half of the bill.

I needed my first root canal and crown this past January. $2k after insurance.

Youngest needed a palate expander plus two phase braces. This first phase is about $7k....that was unexpected. Younger son’s braces were expected. We’ve put off older daughter’s until next summer so we can get younger son done.

Cheese and crackers!  I was going to ask what your OOP max was to hit that much with medical.  I know our dental has a stupid low max benefit. Sure doesn't go far with all of that  your poor dh  That is horrible 😞 what a sucky year

6 hours ago, saraha said:

Aaaaand now our furnace is out. Dh did everything he could but it ended up needing a new motor, $400. Grateful the guy could fix it since it is over 40 years old! But still just one more thing. Dh has fixed and/or replaced so many things this year, I am just weary. 

Gah I'm sorry, wonderful he could fix it but that is a hit to the pocketbook. 

• Like 1

My charges finally went through for Kohl's and Target. Kohls was still off a few cents but I've got it lined out. 

I moved some money yesterday to get higher savings. 

Electric bill today was $7 less (we are on budget billing so we do not have a lot of fluctuation). That went to my Things I Forgot fund for anything unexpected that pops up. I put money there but whenever it gets spent it gets sent to the appropriate category. 

My yogurt turned out perfectly I was worried as my starter was a bit old. 

• Like 4

Dh  got hired to do some contracting work. 

The kids keep changing their wish lists for Christmas.  ugh.  I keep telling them it is to late.  But my family is wanting ideas for them, so I will pass it on.  

Picking up school food in the morning.  Deposit checks.  Pick up a Walmart order for Christmas presents.  I am going to be ordering some new bedding from Walmart.  It is cheap and decent quality.  We got 2 sets of them last year. 

Need to pay bills.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Medical bills are bad again. We’ve had about $30k in dental/orthodontia/jaw issues alone. The medical end of things isn’t as bad due to better insurance, but it’s bad.

Heads up, if you aren’t pushing 50 yet, your adult teeth start to fail around then in catastrophic ways. It will hit when your kids need braces. 

Oh wow. We've had years that were close to that, but it wasn't dental alone. I hope your teeth have a better year this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For a limited time, Amazon is offering $10 off a $40+ household supplies purchase!

Save $10 when you spend $40 (amazon.com)

Ugh, it never stops with trying to keep 7 people in clothes.  DS came down in his pjs last night and they were 6 sizes to small.  I realized I don't normally see him in his pjs.  He showers and gets in bed while I am downstairs.  He is up before me in normal clothes.  Not that you can't wear normal clothes to bed.  That is how I roll.  But then I realized that I haven't been in a store since March.  I normally do the grocery shopping and when I do I pick up sale clothes and shoes.  Like when they are discounting all the shorts from summer, I buy the size up for the kids.  Well now I don't have any of the next size up for them.   So I need to up my online shopping to make up for that.  My older 2 are growing so fast.  

I did uncover 2 bins of clothes from maybe my college days?  The girls went through that and found lots of things they liked.  The rest to donation.  We did that with my closet 2 times already.  Anything they liked keep, donate the rest. 

Just read that our school meals are providing meals for the 2 week winter break.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Dh just threw a wrench into my frugal plans for the month.  He decided he thinks he does still want to get the kids a computer for Christmas. Umm, it is Dec 4th,  I finished my shopping last weekend, and I have already set up the budget for the month.  All I could do was laugh in my head and say, 'I'm good with whatever but you have to do all the legwork because I'm done my shopping." 

I'm not annoyed at all by this.  I really just think it is funny because he doesn't start seriously thinking about Christmas until after Thanksgiving so things like this tend to happen every year.  Just never something so expensive.  But we have the money even if it isn't directly in december's budget so I'll make it work

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Walmart+ issue resolved.  Apparently the only way to get them to refund your money is to go complain about the experience on social media.  They are even refunding me the whole amount rather than the prorated amount I was asking for.

Good.  They should do that.  They are not providing the service you paid for.  That stinks it didn't work out though. 

• Like 3

UGH.

So we bought stuff on Lego.com on 12am the day after Thanksgiving.  They are shipping things via Fedex.  Well because of such  high volume of packages, Fedex is refusing to pick up their items from them.  So they haven't even sent the things out yet, they are sitting in a warehouse.  They said they are trying to send it out via USPS now.  But a week plus after we ordered the stuff, it hasn't even been sent yet.  😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

28 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

UGH.

So we bought stuff on Lego.com on 12am the day after Thanksgiving.  They are shipping things via Fedex.  Well because of such  high volume of packages, Fedex is refusing to pick up their items from them.  So they haven't even sent the things out yet, they are sitting in a warehouse.  They said they are trying to send it out via USPS now.  But a week plus after we ordered the stuff, it hasn't even been sent yet.  😞

that sucks.  don't stress to much, there is still plenty of time before christmas.  it'll get there in time

• Like 3

It’s time to get the cards in the mail! If you receive emails from Tiny Prints, be sure to check your inbox for a possible unique coupon code valid for $50 off orders of $50 or more!

Just look for an email that may contain the subject line “ Here’s Your $50 Gift.” The email will be coming from the address no-reply@em.tinyprints.com. Note that this coupon expires on December 6th.

Starting Sunday, December 6th and running through December 12th, Target will be offering a Circle offer valid for $10 off any $50+ Toys purchase OR $25 off any $100+ Toys purchase valid both in-store and online.

We love when Walgreens offers coupons, discounts, and promo codes that mean huge savings on photo gifts – and even free or cheap photo prints just in time for holidays!

Today, December 4th only, you can score a HOT deal on a FREE 8×10 Photo Print when you use promo code WINTER8X10 at checkout!

All from hip2save

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

UGH.

What a mess, fingers crossed it gets sent soon. My Kohl's order from Monday hasn't shipped and I haven't heard anything. I guess places are just swamped.

7 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Walmart+ issue resolved.  Apparently the only way to get them to refund your money is to go complain about the experience on social media.  They are even refunding me the whole amount rather than the prorated amount I was asking for.

WTG! I'm sure they are wanting to keep good PR for this new service.

8 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Dh just threw a wrench into my frugal plans for the month.  He decided he thinks he does still want to get the kids a computer for Christmas. Umm, it is Dec 4th,  I finished my shopping last weekend, and I have already set up the budget for the month.  All I could do was laugh in my head and say, 'I'm good with whatever but you have to do all the legwork because I'm done my shopping." 

I'm not annoyed at all by this.  I really just think it is funny because he doesn't start seriously thinking about Christmas until after Thanksgiving so things like this tend to happen every year.  Just never something so expensive.  But we have the money even if it isn't directly in december's budget so I'll make it work

LOL, well the kids will be very excited.

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

For a limited time, Amazon is offering $10 off a $40+ household supplies purchase!

Save $10 when you spend $40 (amazon.com)

Ugh, it never stops with trying to keep 7 people in clothes.  DS came down in his pjs last night and they were 6 sizes to small.  I realized I don't normally see him in his pjs.  He showers and gets in bed while I am downstairs.  He is up before me in normal clothes.  Not that you can't wear normal clothes to bed.  That is how I roll.  But then I realized that I haven't been in a store since March.  I normally do the grocery shopping and when I do I pick up sale clothes and shoes.  Like when they are discounting all the shorts from summer, I buy the size up for the kids.  Well now I don't have any of the next size up for them.   So I need to up my online shopping to make up for that.  My older 2 are growing so fast.  

I did uncover 2 bins of clothes from maybe my college days?  The girls went through that and found lots of things they liked.  The rest to donation.  We did that with my closet 2 times already.  Anything they liked keep, donate the rest. 

Just read that our school meals are providing meals for the 2 week winter break.  

I hate messing with clothes for everyone, I don't know how it is things can fit then all of a sudden be way too small.

btw ya for dh getting contract work, I know I read you said that somewhere, that will give you more towards that house fund!

The girls and I watched Christmas movies and made homemade decorations today, it was a lovely day.

We made homemade stromboli tonight a gf and regular version. I made homemade Italian sausage with ground turkey and had some turkey pepperonis I got on mark down at Krogers. The rest of my homemade sausage will be used on an upcoming meal.

We've been working on budget planning, I'm working on maintenance and repair lists to plan for sinking funds. My dishwasher, washing machine, and hot water heater are all older and have had various repairs. I need replacement funds for all of them. I'll have to talk to dh about the cars, we'll be lining it out over Christmas break.

Dh had to pick new retirement funds since things changed with the new company taking over, he has that straightened out now.

I've been working on menu plan working on a one month plan, ordering things to utilize batch cooking and leftovers some.

My Fitbit has broken and I need new tennis shoes for walking. I'm not feeling the desire to spend much money though, so I'm going to sit on a bit and think, store up gift cards and some personal money. I don't think I'll buy another Fitbit, they don't last long enough for the cost. I'm considering a cheap knock-off or maybe just an analog watch.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Soror said:

The girls and I watched Christmas movies and made homemade decorations today, it was a lovely day.

We made homemade stromboli tonight a gf and regular version. I made homemade Italian sausage with ground turkey and had some turkey pepperonis I got on mark down at Krogers. The rest of my homemade sausage will be used on an upcoming meal.

We've been working on budget planning, I'm working on maintenance and repair lists to plan for sinking funds. My dishwasher, washing machine, and hot water heater are all older and have had various repairs. I need replacement funds for all of them. I'll have to talk to dh about the cars, we'll be lining it out over Christmas break.

Dh had to pick new retirement funds since things changed with the new company taking over, he has that straightened out now.

I've been working on menu plan working on a one month plan, ordering things to utilize batch cooking and leftovers some.

My Fitbit has broken and I need new tennis shoes for walking. I'm not feeling the desire to spend much money though, so I'm going to sit on a bit and think, store up gift cards and some personal money. I don't think I'll buy another Fitbit, they don't last long enough for the cost. I'm considering a cheap knock-off or maybe just an analog watch.

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen today, but nothing nearly as yummy as stromboli or Italian sausage came of it! 

We haven't been very impressed with the durability of our fitbits either. I'm currently using dh's old one. The screen's messed up on it, but I can read it. My other one bit the dust awhile back. I accidentally wore  it swimming. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Frugal win for the day... My youngest was asking for a rocking chair/glider for Christmas. It hit me that we have a rocking recliner in the basement bedroom not being used currently. We got it for free from a neighbor a few years ago.  Perfect condition. I explained to dd that if we got rid of her drum set, she would have space for that recliner in her room. Then I could get her the other stuff she wants. She is totally on board with that! (She hasn't had any interest in the drums for several years.)

I don't have to spend $400 on a rocker, the freebie recliner will get some use, and we'll probably make $500 selling the drums. 🙂

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

You can build them.  We did that and we got some off Amazon that we like better.  They are sturdy and adjustable.  

what material did you use to build them.  And do you have a link for the ones you bought?  Did you say you like the ones you bought better or the one you made?  If it were any other month than Christmas I would 100% build our own.  But right now we are already doing so much.  I'm purging the house of things and reorganizing before Christmas. Dh has a few house things to do and he's also working on the kids climbing wall.  So, adding a barre build, even if it only takes a few hours, just isn't on my list of things I want to do.

• Like 1

Just now, hjffkj said:

what material did you use to build them.  And do you have a link for the ones you bought?  Did you say you like the ones you bought better or the one you made?  If it were any other month than Christmas I would 100% build our own.  But right now we are already doing so much.  I'm purging the house of things and reorganizing before Christmas. Dh has a few house things to do and he's also working on the kids climbing wall.  So, adding a barre build, even if it only takes a few hours, just isn't on my list of things I want to do.

We like the ones we got off Amazon better, mostly.  My older kids only complaint with the Amazon ones are they are not as long of a barre that they would like.  We got the 4 foot ones or so.  My oldest is taller than me, so some moves are harder for her because the barre isn't as long as she needs and she hits her foot or something.  I was going to get a 10 foot one, but they sometimes have 3 different classes going on in our home studio, so it wouldn't work well, since they move the barre out of the way for center at different times. 

They like the Amazon one because it is sturdy and it is adjustable so with all the different heights of kids they can move it up and down. 

We built our ones out of wood, like banister wood.  We were going to build it out of pipes like they had at their schools, but again it wouldn't be adjustable for them. 

This is the one we have

Amazon.com : Marfula Wood Ballet Barre Bar Portable Height Adjustable Portable Double Freestanding Ballet Fitness Stretch/Dance Bar for Home or Studio Dancing, with Carry Bag with Carry Bag and Stretch Band : Sports & Outdoors

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We like the ones we got off Amazon better, mostly.  My older kids only complaint with the Amazon ones are they are not as long of a barre that they would like.  We got the 4 foot ones or so.  My oldest is taller than me, so some moves are harder for her because the barre isn't as long as she needs and she hits her foot or something.  I was going to get a 10 foot one, but they sometimes have 3 different classes going on in our home studio, so it wouldn't work well, since they move the barre out of the way for center at different times. 

They like the Amazon one because it is sturdy and it is adjustable so with all the different heights of kids they can move it up and down. 

We built our ones out of wood, like banister wood.  We were going to build it out of pipes like they had at their schools, but again it wouldn't be adjustable for them. 

This is the one we have

Amazon.com : Marfula Wood Ballet Barre Bar Portable Height Adjustable Portable Double Freestanding Ballet Fitness Stretch/Dance Bar for Home or Studio Dancing, with Carry Bag with Carry Bag and Stretch Band : Sports & Outdoors

perfect!  This is the one I was going to buy if dh decides he'd rather not build it. Not happy about the expense so last minute but dd10 needs one and dance is the only thing keeping her sane this year so it'll be a good purchase.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

perfect!  This is the one I was going to buy if dh decides he'd rather not build it. Not happy about the expense so last minute but dd10 needs one and dance is the only thing keeping her sane this year so it'll be a good purchase.

This one looks good to and is cheaper.  I was looking at getting another one and was going to go with this one.  It looks like the same design, only the barre isn't wood. 

Amazon.com : EOSAGA 4 FT Ballet Barre Height Adjustable, Portable Light Weight Stretch Ballet Bar Non-Slip Freestanding Dance Bar w/Carry Bag, and Leg Stretching (Sliver) : Sports & Outdoors

• Like 2

9 hours ago, popmom said:

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen today, but nothing nearly as yummy as stromboli or Italian sausage came of it! 

We haven't been very impressed with the durability of our fitbits either. I'm currently using dh's old one. The screen's messed up on it, but I can read it. My other one bit the dust awhile back. I accidentally wore  it swimming. 

https://thestayathomechef.com/stromboli/

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/216319/homemade-sweet-italian-sausage-mild-or-hot/

Here are my dough and sausage recipes I use- for the sausage I just do 1/3rd and use ground turkey.

My screen started messing up but it would still link, now it does nothing. I'm very dissappointed.

9 hours ago, popmom said:

Frugal win for the day... My youngest was asking for a rocking chair/glider for Christmas. It hit me that we have a rocking recliner in the basement bedroom not being used currently. We got it for free from a neighbor a few years ago.  Perfect condition. I explained to dd that if we got rid of her drum set, she would have space for that recliner in her room. Then I could get her the other stuff she wants. She is totally on board with that! (She hasn't had any interest in the drums for several years.)

I don't have to spend $400 on a rocker, the freebie recliner will get some use, and we'll probably make $500 selling the drums. 🙂

Ya, great win!

• Like 1

Redeemed a $5 Amazon GC this morning. Realized yesterday a return I made to Amazon was sent back as a gc, not a credit. That might be put in my fun money budget and go towards new tennis shoes I need. So far I've just spent $8.95 for myself this month, the shipping on my Kohl's order I got with coupons and Kohl's cash.

Menu and grocery list made-

Tuesday: Green chicken enchiladas w/ refried beans (corn tortillas to make gf)

Wednesday: Yakisoba chicken w/ cabbage, carrots, and onions they loved this one so much wanted a repeat

Thurs: Zoppa Toscana Soup

Friday: Burgers and Frozen Fries (found some on mark down at Aldi's)

Saturday: Venison Stew

Sunday: Bibimbap

Monday: Alfredo w/ Broccoli

• Like 2

hmm I thought I already posted this update but I guess I didn't.  My dad saved December from being a major spend month.  I emailed him to ask him some questions about picking a computer for the kids and he told me to just take the one in his bedroom because he has an extra one at his AL house that he can bring up when he comes home.  He said he'll just help me add anything to it that it needs for their purposes when he gets back.  And being my dad he won't take my money so I'll just put his name on it and say it is a gift from him

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

hmm I thought I already posted this update but I guess I didn't.  My dad saved December from being a major spend month.  I emailed him to ask him some questions about picking a computer for the kids and he told me to just take the one in his bedroom because he has an extra one at his AL house that he can bring up when he comes home.  He said he'll just help me add anything to it that it needs for their purposes when he gets back.  And being my dad he won't take my money so I'll just put his name on it and say it is a gift from him

Yay, great savings. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, popmom said:

Great savings.  I hope the drums sell fast. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Yay, great savings. 

indeed.  The funny thing is that originally when we were going to get a computer I was going to ask my dad for one that has been lying around our house since we moved in and using that base to build what we needed.  But when we decided against the computer I just though, 'well when we're ready we'll ask dad for it then."  Last week my brother asked my dad for it so he could build his kids a computer. So, when I asked my dad for advice I did it knowing he had no computers here to just give me.  But of course he is an endless supply of computer parts so I don't know why I thought he wouldn't have more at his other house.

• Like 2

Yesterday, did some pjs shopping as my son was wearing ones 5 sizes to small.  From some on sale, so grabbed a bunch.  We used to do matching christmas pjs, but haven't for a few years.  DS really wanted matching pjs, these aren't holiday themed, but I got 2 sets of matching ones for all the kids.  Plus 5 extra pairs for ds.  New bedding sets for 2 kids.  What they have is fine, but they wanted themed bedding.  And another Lego Advent calendar, since they are enjoying them.

Handled paypal

Paid Credit card bill

Signed up the kids for some free ballet classes be offered

Today return something to Walmart

Pickup walmart order, all presents and the calander

Deposit birthday, christmas, and a rebate $$$$$

Will sign up ds for a ballet intensive

Pay for more ballet classes

Need to email my family ideas for the kids for Christmas

Possibly go to a free drive through Christmas event this afternoon.  

Probably do some more Christmas shopping today. 

Drop off a ton of more donations

That is all that I can think of right now. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Amazingly, dh’s wonderful bosses paid him a full month’s wages for only half a month’s work in November.  Through all of this, even as so many things seem to be going wrong, we have been buoyed up by the kindness and service of so many people.

Dh’s car won’t start, and mine has to get a tire replaced.  And the one we have been trying to sell, I managed to run into a pole driving while emotional a few weeks ago.  It’s just a scrape, but it was one more thing.

But we got home from the hospital out-of-state the other day to find that while we were gone, people from our church had come in and cleaned our house, mowed our lawn, stacked firewood, organized the kids’ rooms, and even replaced our dishwasher while we were gone, as well as decorating for the holidays.  The next day, they dropped off a stack of freezer meals for our family.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Condessa said:

Amazingly, dh’s wonderful bosses paid him a full month’s wages for only half a month’s work in November.  Through all of this, even as so many things seem to be going wrong, we have been buoyed up by the kindness and service of so many people.

Dh’s car won’t start, and mine has to get a tire replaced.  And the one we have been trying to sell, I managed to run into a pole driving while emotional a few weeks ago.  It’s just a scrape, but it was one more thing.

But we got home from the hospital out-of-state the other day to find that while we were gone, people from our church had come in and cleaned our house, mowed our lawn, stacked firewood, organized the kids’ rooms, and even replaced our dishwasher while we were gone, as well as decorating for the holidays.  The next day, they dropped off a stack of freezer meals for our family.

AWWWW.   I am so happy for you guys.  What a wonderful employer and community.   

• Like 2

o Amazon and score Buy 2, Get 1 FREE on select Disney, Nerf, Beyblade, and more toys- no coupon needed, as the discount automatically applies in cart.

With one toy being absolutely FREE, this would be an affordable way to snag gifts for cousins, friends, neighbors and more!

Please note that all items must be sold and shipped by Amazon for discount to apply.

from hip2save

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

I'm so happy to read that. Continued prayers for your family.

I found the Christmas gift I lost, which I guess I just missed the 3+ times I looked before. I forgot the gloves I bought for my stocking stuffer were also in there. All is well now. I have all of my Christmas bought but still have 1 item left to come in (it is a little thing for dd1 that may or may not make it in time). I finished wrapping the rest of it today and got the e- gift cards I bought printed. It feels very nice to have it done 3 weeks early.

• Like 4

Decided to go to Goodwill while waiting for my dd to finish her Zoom dance meeting (she had to do it at my brother's house because i couldn't get the meeting to work on my chromebook.)  I'm so glad I went because I found two beautiful Folkmanis hand puppets for $2 each. One is a turtle and the other is a chinese dragon.  My kids love hand puppets and have a large collection of Folkmanis ones so I don't hesitate to buy them if I see them at Goodwill.

I also found three books that I get from the library pretty often so now for 50 cents each I own them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I found the Christmas gift I lost, which I guess I just missed the 3+ times I looked before. I forgot the gloves I bought for my stocking stuffer were also in there. All is well now. I have all of my Christmas bought but still have 1 item left to come in (it is a little thing for dd1 that may or may not make it in time). I finished wrapping the rest of it today and got the e- gift cards I bought printed. It feels very nice to have it done 3 weeks early.

Glad you found it.  I do that too, when I start buying Christmas stuff in advance.  I lose it or forget what I have bought.  Case in point this year.  Dh and I both have bought things.  I had bought a shirt months ago and stored it for one of the girls.  I was going through some stuff dh bought, and he just bought the same shirt for dd.   Same one!  He paid more than I did, so  I had him bring it back.  But I was laughing that I have the same one stored downstairs.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Decided to go to Goodwill while waiting for my dd to finish her Zoom dance meeting (she had to do it at my brother's house because i couldn't get the meeting to work on my chromebook.)  I'm so glad I went because I found two beautiful Folkmanis hand puppets for $2 each. One is a turtle and the other is a chinese dragon.  My kids love hand puppets and have a large collection of Folkmanis ones so I don't hesitate to buy them if I see them at Goodwill.

I also found three books that I get from the library pretty often so now for 50 cents each I own them.

Yay, for thrift store finds.  So fun.  I used to love thrifting, but haven't been really in years.  I checked out a few of them that were  nearby my kiddo's dance school, but the stuff was never good prices.  I would find stuff at Walmart for cheaper.  Even the Once Upon a Child was crazy priced.  But I do miss going to stores and finding the deals.  

How did your dd like the Zoom class?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Wow, that is great!

• Like 1

We sold some investments to cover medical. We are feeling grateful we had a bit of cushion to buffer the hit. It takes away from our cushion in case of unemployment (dh’s employer is doing another round of layoffs) but it was our best option. 

I still need to finish up some Christmas stuff—need to shake down our budget today and see what our options are. Tuition is due in <2 weeks for Ds. We can make that, but I am not sure what is left over.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We sold some investments to cover medical. We are feeling grateful we had a bit of cushion to buffer the hit. It takes away from our cushion in case of unemployment (dh’s employer is doing another round of layoffs) but it was our best option. 

I still need to finish up some Christmas stuff—need to shake down our budget today and see what our options are. Tuition is due in <2 weeks for Ds. We can make that, but I am not sure what is left over.

I'm glad you had the investments to sale to cover it but that sure stinks. Fingers crossed your dh makes it through layoffs.

15 hours ago, Condessa said:

They were actually able to patch my tire instead of replacing it, and didn’t even charge dh to do it.

Ya!

18 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Awesome finds!

Edited by Soror

Today is the day for ds' first root canal. Cross your fingers and toes it goes smoothly. I'm a bit nervous and trying not to think about it.

I'm working on prepping dinner now so I don't have to worry about it when I get home. I should be home in plenty of time to cook but I'm going to guess I won't feel like it. I think I'm going to pack a lunch, ds can't eat after 10:30 so I'm going to try and get him to eat before he goes (he isn't big on breakfast so we'll see how that goes). 

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Today is the day for ds' first root canal. Cross your fingers and toes it goes smoothly. I'm a bit nervous and trying not to think about it.

I'm working on prepping dinner now so I don't have to worry about it when I get home. I should be home in plenty of time to cook but I'm going to guess I won't feel like it. I think I'm going to pack a lunch, ds can't eat after 10:30 so I'm going to try and get him to eat before he goes (he isn't big on breakfast so we'll see how that goes). 

Sending good thoughts it goes ok.  I haven't had one before, so I don't know how big of procedure it is.  One of my kids had dental surgery over summer and I dreaded it everyday.  I was so glad it was handled and I could stop dreading it.  I hope it goes well and he has an easy recovery.

• Like 1

Through December 13th, head on over to Walgreens where they are offering Buy 2 Select Toys, Get 2 Select Toys FREE – both in-store and online!

This sale applies to toys that are priced at just $6.99 and the discount is automatically applied at checkout.

Please note if shopping online, look for the toys marked 4/$13.98 and you must add four of the same toy to receive the discount.

From hip2save

• Like 1

Picked up the school meals.  It wasn't as safe as I hoped.  I was hoping that they would just put meals in your trunk.  Nope.  You have to online order things and it is a long form with tons of boxes, you have to fill one out for each kid.  Anyway this is the first time I have done it, they didn't do it over summer.  You can go pick up everyday or just once for the week.  If you go just once for the week and pick up a week's worth of meals you get the same meal for 5 days.  Not the everyday meal.  I just wanted to go one time and pick up 10 meals per kid.  But I messed up the online form and when I got there I got 5 lunches and 25 .   Oh well.  I can do another order for the lunches W-F, or go everyday.  It is the same as summer, lots of food and lots of milk.  The fridge is full.  

Not much else going on.  Putting in an online walmart order.  

Oh I saw this deal on a vlog I watch.  I am probably going to give it a try, it sounds pretty decent for the amount. 

It is a produce box place

50% off Misfits Market (until Dec.15) - https://www.misfitsmarket.com Use code COOKWME-KI4MJS

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Soror said:

I saw this earlier, so I've been wondering. Did it go okay? I get really nervous about stuff like that, too. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, popmom said:

I saw this earlier, so I've been wondering. Did it go okay? I get really nervous about stuff like that, too. 

Thank you for asking. All went well, ds had no trouble at all and it was quicker than I expected. He was the first one scheduled after lunch, they got him right back and it was only about an hour. He's not having any pain (yet) anyway, they had him take ibuprofen right away to hopefully put off so much pain when the numbness wears off. The office had great COVID protocols too, although I just checked him in and waited in the car. I'm feeling much better about the next one.

-___________________________________

The girls went to my Mom's house today as I had to be gone all day because ds appointment was 1.5 hrs away. Mom sent home some chicken nuggets from the food boxes this summer -(I only got it a few times but she got it every week)- she's getting a cow butchered and is running out of freezer room. 

• Like 3