Menu

December Frugalistas 2020

mommyoffive

We got the clear from our neighbor that her test was a false positive and her kids tested negative. So, I was able to go out today and do some shopping without the kids since my aunt was watching the kids.  I picked some pjs for myself and dh curbside from kohls.  They are so warm and comfy and were only $7 each!  I also picked up more christmas lights curbside at walgreens using that 20% coupon.

Then I decided to run into Goodwill for a bit since I had a little more time before needing to head home.  Found some great things and it  helped me  fulfill my need to get the kids more things but not blow the budget. I found a kid's sewing machine that works well for $1.99, a pair of skates for $1.99, and a few books for 50 cents each.  I may go back one more time before Christmas if the urge comes again

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We got the clear from our neighbor that her test was a false positive and her kids tested negative. So, I was able to go out today and do some shopping without the kids since my aunt was watching the kids.  I picked some pjs for myself and dh curbside from kohls.  They are so warm and comfy and were only $7 each!  I also picked up more christmas lights curbside at walgreens using that 20% coupon.

Then I decided to run into Goodwill for a bit since I had a little more time before needing to head home.  Found some great things and it  helped me  fulfill my need to get the kids more things but not blow the budget. I found a kid's sewing machine that works well for $1.99, a pair of skates for $1.99, and a few books for 50 cents each.  I may go back one more time before Christmas if the urge comes again

Skates for 1.99!  Awesome

Glad that Walgreenes coupon worked for you.  It wouldn't work for me.  Not sure what you have to buy to make it work.  I was trying candy.

Awesome news on the covid news.  I am glad you don't have to worry about that at all right now. 

Through December 17th only, you can score a HOT deal on a FREE 8×10 Photo Print when you use promo code COZY8X10 at checkout!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Skates for 1.99!  Awesome

Glad that Walgreenes coupon worked for you.  It wouldn't work for me.  Not sure what you have to buy to make it work.  I was trying candy.

Awesome news on the covid news.  I am glad you don't have to worry about that at all right now. 

Through December 17th only, you can score a HOT deal on a FREE 8×10 Photo Print when you use promo code COZY8X10 at checkout!

Our Goodwill is so overwhelmed with donations that they aren't even pricing a lot of things.  Basically all kids non clothing items are $1.99 unless they price it.  They seem to only be pricing big items like dollhouses, baby bouncers, etc.  Clothing has its own universal price but I don't know what it is because I haven't looked for clothing during covid, mainly because that is a longer process and I like getting in and out

• Like 3

On 12/14/2020 at 12:54 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm kind of over 2020. (I know, we all are.)

I have days where I'm ok with all of the pandemic ordered stress, and days where I am not.  Is this where others are at emotionally? I see no chatter on Facebook from my friends about this aspect of life....but they are almost all in states where schools are open, life is pretty normal, etc.

People here are treating life like it is normal (dh and his family I am looking right at you) so I vacillate back and forth with good days and days where I feel like I should be getting dh's affairs in order or saving every penny we have because if he has to quarantine, he won't be getting paid (because our luck, everyone of these kids will test positive, but not at the same time, oh no, like dominoes a week apart)  This is directly related to how much contact I have with said husband and family 🙄

• Like 3

On 12/14/2020 at 12:54 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

I have days where I'm ok with all of the pandemic ordered stress, and days where I am not.  Is this where others are at emotionally? I see no chatter on Facebook from my friends about this aspect of life....but they are almost all in states where schools are open, life is pretty normal, etc.

I waffle back and forth with my emotions but I don't really feel stressed about the pandemic really. We are incredibly blessed to be able to just stay home as much as possible.  My emotions waffle because of my kids being stressed over all of this. they miss their friends and their family.  I miss mine too but as an adult I can just deal better.  So, my stress comes from being the support person to 5 kids 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Glad to hear about the negative tests and the good finds!

Banana muffins made with brown bananas this morning.

Making progress on the $20 giftcard for eating out for ds' next root canal.

AND dh won a 40 in tv at the company Christmas party! Dh's company is huge and he hasn't won anything in ages but he got lucky! Our current biggest tv is maybe 32 in, the downstairs has a 20 in that was given to us. So the big one will go upstairs and the upstairs downstairs and will see if anyone wants the little one. Woot.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Banana muffins made with brown bananas this morning.

Making progress on the $20 giftcard for eating out for ds' next root canal.

AND dh won a 40 in tv at the company Christmas party! Dh's company is huge and he hasn't won anything in ages but he got lucky! Our current biggest tv is maybe 32 in, the downstairs has a 20 in that was given to us. So the big one will go upstairs and the upstairs downstairs and will see if anyone wants the little one. Woot.

How fun that he won that TV!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I waffle back and forth with my emotions but I don't really feel stressed about the pandemic really. We are incredibly blessed to be able to just stay home as much as possible.  My emotions waffle because of my kids being stressed over all of this. they miss their friends and their family.  I miss mine too but as an adult I can just deal better.  So, my stress comes from being the support person to 5 kids 

I hear you on the stress of being the support to 5 kids.  My kids miss their family, friends, and activities and it is so hard to be dealing with that.  Thinking of things to do.  Dealing with the ups and downs because they are upset. 

Dh did a lot of returning things today.  But our last minute buying of gifts will probably even out to the money being refunded.  Oh well.  

Got two of our shipments that was missing.  Still waiting on one more. 

Picked up our Walmart grocery pickup

Picked up school Lunches for 2 days.  Will pick up for the rest of the week on Wednesday.  They give so much food it is crazy.   I think it would probably be the size for a 17 year male athlete.  It could easily be enough for a full day for a younger kiddo.  The kids are enjoying them. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

On 12/14/2020 at 9:54 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

It looks like some Christmas presents, ordered weeks ago, with a two day delivery promise are likely to not be here in time.

I went to order groceries Friday and the local Walmart did not have about 35/50 items I wanted in stock. I had to switch to a further away store (different town) and I still didn't get basic things like clementines or bread. Where they could substitute, they did, but this kind of thing stresses me out immensely.

We did get tuition paid and books ordered for ds.

I'm on the west coast as well. We have been in the worst tier since March. We are home all the time. I am tired of it. Some days go better than others. I have tried to adjust my expectations and menus. I buy what I find. I don't go looking for certain things. The only necessity is GF flour and I order that, allowing a generous lag time. I buy only vegetables that will keep, like carrots and cabbage. 

I lived in England and had the privilege of talking to older folks who lived through WWII. England was hungry during much of the war. Food was very short and they truly made do. I think of them often these days. And I figure that I can do my bit now by staying home, and really, we have abundant food. We just don't have the abundant CHOICES that we are used to. My sister tells her 4 kids at home, "Every meal will not be what you like. Some meals are simply for nourishment."

My best to you. I hope that there is some fun in the staying home over the holidays. I feel a bit less stressed because I don't see as much advertising, or what other people are buying. It makes my simple Christmases feel less odd.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, prairiewindmomma said:

It looks like some Christmas presents, ordered weeks ago, with a two day delivery promise are likely to not be here in time.

I went to order groceries Friday and the local Walmart did not have about 35/50 items I wanted in stock. I had to switch to a further away store (different town) and I still didn't get basic things like clementines or bread. Where they could substitute, they did, but this kind of thing stresses me out immensely.

We did get tuition paid and books ordered for ds.

Truthfully, I have days where I am fine and days where I feel like I might break. 

• Like 3

Just sending hugs to everyone.   I am right there with you in the ups and downs of days because of the pandemic.  We are so close to better days.

Forgot 3 of my kids moved up in ballet, so that will be more money per month than their old levels. 

Turned in one for school to pay funds for. 

Spent the day going through clothes I am going to give away to a foster family.  Waiting for them to contact me back to come pick it up.  

More Christmas shopping today.  I am going to pick up the free school food.  I have also been picking up the free crafts from the library every week.  

• Like 3

I wish we could do the school food. Our schools are in person 5 days a week and if you want food, they are wondering why you don’t put the kid in school. Not a friendly environment. Small towns are great except when they are not.

dh is going to the city after work since he’s half way there and picking up stocking stuffer snacks at sams. I HOPE he doesn’t get carried away. I reminded him twice not to and that property taxes are due in January, so crossing my fingers 🤪. Then we are done with the shopping. 

We are eating down our pandemic pantry this month as our budgets went straight out the window at the beginning of March, and now we are Christmas shopping. Definitely going to be a less is more type this year.  Stress and worry has definitely played a roll in just not even trying to keep up with it, and now I am paying for it I guess.

On the upside I started a new blog as a hobby. It’s not flashy and according to the stats no one is reading it, but it helps me feel like I am putting something good out into the world. I have been the support person for 6 kids, one of which graduated from college this spring and can not find a job in his chosen field, so he hasn’t  fledged like he thought he would. So I started the blog just for myself and have been able to claw out some time to work on it a couple of times a week. It is also helping me remember to be great full for how far we have come financially since those early days of our marriage, and to remember how fleeting it can be.

I really hope the rest of this week and this weekend go really great for everyone and that you are able to find a little cheer in every day.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saraha said:

I wish we could do the school food. Our schools are in person 5 days a week and if you want food, they are wondering why you don’t put the kid in school. Not a friendly environment. Small towns are great except when they are not.

dh is going to the city after work since he’s half way there and picking up stocking stuffer snacks at sams. I HOPE he doesn’t get carried away. I reminded him twice not to and that property taxes are due in January, so crossing my fingers 🤪. Then we are done with the shopping. 

We are eating down our pandemic pantry this month as our budgets went straight out the window at the beginning of March, and now we are Christmas shopping. Definitely going to be a less is more type this year.  Stress and worry has definitely played a roll in just not even trying to keep up with it, and now I am paying for it I guess.

On the upside I started a new blog as a hobby. It’s not flashy and according to the stats no one is reading it, but it helps me feel like I am putting something good out into the world. I have been the support person for 6 kids, one of which graduated from college this spring and can not find a job in his chosen field, so he hasn’t  fledged like he thought he would. So I started the blog just for myself and have been able to claw out some time to work on it a couple of times a week. It is also helping me remember to be great full for how far we have come financially since those early days of our marriage, and to remember how fleeting it can be.

I really hope the rest of this week and this weekend go really great for everyone and that you are able to find a little cheer in every day.

I hope your week goes great too.  A little cheer this time of year would be wonderful, some for you too!

That stinks that the schools are not being welcoming to you.  We live in a small town too and they haven't been like that.  But yeah I get you on small towns.  They are great when you grew up there and do the normal stuff.  It was hard to break into it when we moved here and didn't know anyone. 

I saw that you started a blog!  Good for you.  I am off to read it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope your week goes great too.  A little cheer this time of year would be wonderful, some for you too!

That stinks that the schools are not being welcoming to you.  We live in a small town too and they haven't been like that.  But yeah I get you on small towns.  They are great when you grew up there and do the normal stuff.  It was hard to break into it when we moved here and didn't know anyone. 

I saw that you started a blog!  Good for you.  I am off to read it.  

Thanks! Keep LOW expectations haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

That is the secret to my days for myself, low expectations.   I thought it was great.   For me I like basic easy cooking, I will be following along!

Awe, thanks! Feel free to comment or give me suggestions, I am always open to suggestions!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

I added you to my feedly page. Here's hoping it helps me - I can follow a recipe, but I honestly don't know how to cook the most basic things. 

You and me both girl.   I live for easy crockpot or casserole recipes.  

Cheap personalized mugs

Personalized Photo Mugs from $5 + Free Walmart Store Pickup (hip2save.com)

• Like 1

As to basic cooking, I will spend too much time on Pinterest and foodie blogs and will find my menu plans off in the weeds, and that is when I usually go over my food budget. Sometimes I just need reminding that a meal just needs a protein, a vegetable, and a carb. This blog is helping me rediscover a lot of the simple meals I made when I was learning to cook.

And as for crockpots, I wish there was a way to get a crockpot into the hands of every single working parent.  Maybe someone should start a program!

Edited by saraha
  • Like 2

Wouldn’t it be cool if they gave crockpots out with SNAP benefits? You can use them anywhere there is electric.    No matter what shift you work on, you can figure out how to cook a meal while you are at work, even if it just means you stick it into a fridge and heat up at the right time

• Like 3

Dd came down today and could barely fit in her clothes. She has gone from size 00 to size 10 this year (and has grown about a foot). I went inside of a real store(!!) with her this afternoon and bought her a new wardrobe. We made it out $15 under budget!! We have tried to buy pretty classic things this year that will hand down well. Her little sister is just a few years younger. I still need to order some leggings and a couple of pairs of jeans for her now that we know what size she is, but that will happen in next month’s budget. We were able to get her two pairs of jeans today so she can make it.

It’s crazy how kids literally grow overnight.

• Like 5

I love instant pots for that reason. We can use the sauté feature as a skillet, we can pressure cook, we can slow cook, and we can use a timer. Literally, when we have lived out of hotels during a relo, I made nearly every meal out of an instant pot. 

I totally agree—something like that should be offered as part of a WIC set up. Same with offering a mixing bowl, mixing spoon, sharp knife, and cutting board.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Dd came down today and could barely fit in her clothes. She has gone from size 00 to size 10 this year (and has grown about a foot). I went inside of a real store(!!) with her this afternoon and bought her a new wardrobe. We made it out $15 under budget!! We have tried to buy pretty classic things this year that will hand down well. Her little sister is just a few years younger. I still need to order some leggings and a couple of pairs of jeans for her now that we know what size she is, but that will happen in next month’s budget. We were able to get her two pairs of jeans today so she can make it.

LOL, gotta love it. Great job staying under budget. I love when ds would all of sudden tell me his shoes were too small and they would be crazy too small and he hadn't told me before.

12 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I love instant pots for that reason. We can use the sauté feature as a skillet, we can pressure cook, we can slow cook, and we can use a timer. Literally, when we have lived out of hotels during a relo, I made nearly every meal out of an instant pot. 

I totally agree—something like that should be offered as part of a WIC set up. Same with offering a mixing bowl, mixing spoon, sharp knife, and cutting board.

I love my instant pot too. I got rid of my crock pot after getting it.

I am up to a $15 gift card. Aiming for $25 by the 25th to give plenty of time to receive it before his appointment.

Dh is staying very busy at work. He saw something the other day that made him think that college reimbursement might come back and had his manager ask at the meeting yesterday but hasn't heard back from him. That would be a huge help. Before they paid 75%, we had to pay up front but as long as you get C or B or above you get reimbursed for 75%. All my fingers crossed for that. He moved into a position that requires him finishing his degree then they took away funding, it is not right.

I am going to dh's work clinic today. I haven't been feeling well and continue to feel worse. I probably already should have went in but I'm so sick of medical stuff. It is only $5 for the clinic and any blood work they do, if I get sent anywhere else it will be 10% since I've met my deductible but I'm hoping and praying that doesn't happen. Hoping I'm just being paranoid.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Soror said:

LOL, gotta love it. Great job staying under budget. I love when ds would all of sudden tell me his shoes were too small and they would be crazy too small and he hadn't told me before.

I love my instant pot too. I got rid of my crock pot after getting it.

I am up to a $15 gift card. Aiming for $25 by the 25th to give plenty of time to receive it before his appointment.

Dh is staying very busy at work. He saw something the other day that made him think that college reimbursement might come back and had his manager ask at the meeting yesterday but hasn't heard back from him. That would be a huge help. Before they paid 75%, we had to pay up front but as long as you get C or B or above you get reimbursed for 75%. All my fingers crossed for that. He moved into a position that requires him finishing his degree then they took away funding, it is not right.

I am going to dh's work clinic today. I haven't been feeling well and continue to feel worse. I probably already should have went in but I'm so sick of medical stuff. It is only $5 for the clinic and any blood work they do, if I get sent anywhere else it will be 10% since I've met my deductible but I'm hoping and praying that doesn't happen. Hoping I'm just being paranoid.

Sending some gentle hugs your way.  I am sorry you are not feeling well.  I get you are saying that you just get tired of so much medical stuff, that you don't end up taking care of yourself.  I am glad you are going in.  That is so wonderful that you have a place that only charges $5.  Wow. 

Oh I hope that your dh's work pays for school again.  I get why they would be cutting that this year though.  Even though it sounds like they are doing well with all the OT your dh does.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Ha, isn't that the thing all kids do?  Last winter one of my kids told me her shoes were a little tight.  She ended up going up 3 sizes in shoes.  Or when one of my other kids came down in pjs that were 5 sizes to small, because they only  had 1 pair in the right size. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

My 15 year old informed me last night after her ortho appointment that her waterpik grew mold while she was in the hospital (note: she was in hospital in September!). She just hasn't been using it. So, new one ordered this morning. But after that, I asked her if there was anything else she needed that she hadn't mentioned. Apparently, she's been wearing leggings with holes in the crotch because she only has 2 good pair. Therefore, I'm ordering new leggings today as well. Good thing it is payday today.

I picked up school lunches this morning, and we went through our usual conversation. I have 2 kids. Any extras? Sure, I'll take 3. Thank you. Well, the lady sent me home with 6 bags containing Th & Fr's meals in it. I need to see my brother today because he has a gasoline coupon I was going to pick up, so he's getting some. MIL will get some pre-cut celery, carrots, and apples. She had surgery on her thumb earlier this year, so it's hard for her to cut veggies. 

Purchasing some puzzles for middle DD this afternoon. She has gone through our stash several times during covid, and these are glittery LOL.

• Like 2

Not only did a tree destroy our fence and shed last night but our sump pump isn't pumping water!!! Our basement is flooded again! I'm so done with house shit.  Dh didn't sleep well last night because of our 3 year old so he isn't thinking clearly at the moment so both issues are on me to deal with atm.

I filed a claim with our insurance company for the tree and am waiting for a call back from the plumber.  I had grand plans of making Christmas ornaments with my sister and organizing the sunroom today but now all I can think about is the cost to fix this stuff

• Sad 5

Just now, hjffkj said:

Not only did a tree destroy our fence and shed last night but our sump pump isn't pumping water!!! Our basement is flooded again! I'm so done with house shit.  Dh didn't sleep well last night because of our 3 year old so he isn't thinking clearly at the moment so both issues are on me to deal with atm.

I filed a claim with our insurance company for the tree and am waiting for a call back from the plumber.  I had grand plans of making Christmas ornaments with my sister and organizing the sunroom today but now all I can think about is the cost to fix this stuff

Oh crap, what a sucky day.  I am so so so sorry.  

I thought you were not going to file for the tree because of your high deductible?  Did you already get quotes? 

Is your sump pump working at all?  Did it fail?  Is the line clear?  Do you have a back up sump pump?  

I am so sorry about this crappy day. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

also check your insurance policy if you have a rider for sump pump issues.  We had one (unknown to us but thankfully someone alerted us to the possibility so we went and checked our policy) and they paid out $5000 towards the damage towards all the stuff that got damaged in a our basement when our sump pump died.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I'm sorry, that is a sucky, sucky day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending some gentle hugs your way.  I am sorry you are not feeling well.  I get you are saying that you just get tired of so much medical stuff, that you don't end up taking care of yourself.  I am glad you are going in.  That is so wonderful that you have a place that only charges $5.  Wow. 

Oh I hope that your dh's work pays for school again.  I get why they would be cutting that this year though.  Even though it sounds like they are doing well with all the OT your dh does.  

Yes, the OT is a big help. During the school year he doesn't have time to work so much so it isn't an all the time solution but it will be a huge help for now and hopefully enough to even get ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

I am so so very sorry

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, saraha said:

I am so so very sorry

Not on topic, but I love your entry from yesterday.  Maybe I didn't see it when I was on there.  I love beans.  I know everyone talks about it being so hard being on a beans and rice diet if they are watching their pennies, but I love beans and rice.  I should try some of your other recipes, because I just do plain beans, rice, cheese, and salsa. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Awww, bummer. I am so sorry. That is a sucky day; I hope your day gets better.(hugs)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh crap, what a sucky day.  I am so so so sorry.  

I thought you were not going to file for the tree because of your high deductible?  Did you already get quotes? 

Is your sump pump working at all?  Did it fail?  Is the line clear?  Do you have a back up sump pump?  

I am so sorry about this crappy day. 

After doing a bunch of research last night we decided to file a claim.  The shed is a 16*20 custom built  with vinyl siding and a pretty new roof.  So, after consulting a friend over the phone who is a contractor he says it could likely be a $10,000 shed but is likely worth more to replace.  So what we'll likely do is take the check and either pocket it or go with a smaller shed.

The sump pump ended up needing to be replaced.  That is done and now the basement is being drained!  Cost $450 to replace though 😞 and then we'll have to have the basement dried out so it doesn't mold

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

also check your insurance policy if you have a rider for sump pump issues.  We had one (unknown to us but thankfully someone alerted us to the possibility so we went and checked our policy) and they paid out $5000 towards the damage towards all the stuff that got damaged in a our basement when our sump pump died.

our basement is unfinished and nothing of value got damaged thankfully. So filing a claim would not make sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

After doing a bunch of research last night we decided to file a claim.  The shed is a 16*20 custom built  with vinyl siding and a pretty new roof.  So, after consulting a friend over the phone who is a contractor he says it could likely be a $10,000 shed but is likely worth more to replace.  So what we'll likely do is take the check and either pocket it or go with a smaller shed.

The sump pump ended up needing to be replaced.  That is done and now the basement is being drained!  Cost $450 to replace though 😞 and then we'll have to have the basement dried out so it doesn't mold

Man. I’m sorry

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Girl you are on it.  I am sorry all this sucky stuff is happening.  But wow are you doing great handling it.  I am glad the sump pump got replaced.  Do you have a backup system?  Do you have an alarm on it.   You should have both. 

I hope the shed situation works out for you guys. 

• Like 2

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Girl you are on it.  I am sorry all this sucky stuff is happening.  But wow are you doing great handling it.  I am glad the sump pump got replaced.  Do you have a backup system?  Do you have an alarm on it.   You should have both. 

I hope the shed situation works out for you guys. 

Thanks,  We were actually lucky to have a plumber able to come today.  Dh used to teach him kung fu so we already had a relationship with him.  But it snowed last night and neighbor roads were still pretty bad today.  Bad enough that the plumber, who is the owner of the business had to ground all of his vans today and cancel a bunch of appointments.  But he could safely come to us personally with his truck!   I don't know if we have that stuff, dh dealt with sump pump problem.  I'm dealing with the tree problem.  So, I'll ask him and make sure that is taken care of if we didn't handle it today.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

54 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

our basement is unfinished and nothing of value got damaged thankfully. So filing a claim would not make sense.

I don't know if house insurance works like medical insurance (meaning  a deductible amount per year and not per instance) but if it does, than you would have already met your deductible on the shed so the sump pump would be a "freebie".  Our insurance would also cover mold remediation, renting of shop vacs to remove water etc as well as the labor to do that work.  Even if you "can" do it yourself, if the insurance will pay for it, sometimes it's worth it to let them pay someone to do the work just because you have enough else to do.  If this isn't helpful feel free to ignore,  I just learned some of this after the fact last year when I was so worn down from doing everything myself and it would have been such a relief to have known that insurance would have just paid someone do to it all for me. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I don't know if house insurance works like medical insurance (meaning  a deductible amount per year and not per instance) but if it does, than you would have already met your deductible on the shed so the sump pump would be a "freebie".  Our insurance would also cover mold remediation, renting of shop vacs to remove water etc as well as the labor to do that work.  Even if you "can" do it yourself, if the insurance will pay for it, sometimes it's worth it to let them pay someone to do the work just because you have enough else to do.  If this isn't helpful feel free to ignore,  I just learned some of this after the fact last year when I was so worn down from doing everything myself and it would have been such a relief to have known that insurance would have just paid someone do to it all for me. 

Thank you for the info.  With home insurance the deductible is per instance.  And our insurance company will just write us a check minus the deductible and have us find the people to deal with it.  Win win for us because we will use some of that money to do the stuff we don't want to handle, like getting rid of the tree.  But save money on the things we won't mind doing in the Spring, like tearing down the shed and rebuilding if we feel we need a new shed. 

We'll see how it plays out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Thanks,  We were actually lucky to have a plumber able to come today.  Dh used to teach him kung fu so we already had a relationship with him.  But it snowed last night and neighbor roads were still pretty bad today.  Bad enough that the plumber, who is the owner of the business had to ground all of his vans today and cancel a bunch of appointments.  But he could safely come to us personally with his truck!   I don't know if we have that stuff, dh dealt with sump pump problem.  I'm dealing with the tree problem.  So, I'll ask him and make sure that is taken care of if we didn't handle it today.

Divide and conquer!  Awesome.   I am so glad the plumber was able to come to you guys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Way to go getting stuff done. Sorry about the sump pump, sounds like you might be able to recoup the cost on the claim for the shed, fingers crossed.