Menu

December Frugalistas 2020

mommyoffive

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Picked up the school meals.  It wasn't as safe as I hoped.  I was hoping that they would just put meals in your trunk.  Nope.  You have to online order things and it is a long form with tons of boxes, you have to fill one out for each kid.  Anyway this is the first time I have done it, they didn't do it over summer.  You can go pick up everyday or just once for the week.  If you go just once for the week and pick up a week's worth of meals you get the same meal for 5 days.  Not the everyday meal.  I just wanted to go one time and pick up 10 meals per kid.  But I messed up the online form and when I got there I got 5 lunches and 25 .   Oh well.  I can do another order for the lunches W-F, or go everyday.  It is the same as summer, lots of food and lots of milk.  The fridge is full.  

We won't be getting lunches anymore.  Now that school is completely virtual they moved it to a daily pick up.  It is absolutely dumb and I feel sorry for the kids who actually need the food but who's parents won't go to pick food up once a day because it is during hours they are working.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We won't be getting lunches anymore.  Now that school is completely virtual they moved it to a daily pick up.  It is absolutely dumb and I feel sorry for the kids who actually need the food but who's parents won't go to pick food up once a day because it is during hours they are working.

Ours stopped doing lunch when school started, they offer optional virtual but I guess it is tough luck for those doing virtual.

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh I saw this deal on a vlog I watch.  I am probably going to give it a try, it sounds pretty decent for the amount. 

It is a produce box place

50% off Misfits Market (until Dec.15) - https://www.misfitsmarket.com Use code COOKWME-KI4MJS

Thanks for sharing this.  I went ahead and looked at it.  I don't like that they won't even let you see your option until you have ordered a box and given them credit card information.  But I tried anyways.  First available was for this Sat so I picked that one.  However the customization opened on Sunday so they were sold out of about half the options.  While I could have picked from those and found ways to use it, I chose to move my date to next Wednesday.  I can't pick my items yet but I will as soon as it opens so I will hopefully have better choices.  The only drawback is that I will be getting school lunches the same day so I really have to make sure I have my fridges paired down.  I do have a dorm fridge I could plug in if I was desperate but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.  But all in all it did looks like some good options and at 50% off the price seemed reasonable.  We'll see how big the amount is when it comes to decide if it's worth paying full price for.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

You have to wonder what goes through the mind of people who set those policies.  It makes zero sense to force the parents to run out and spend gas money every single day when many of them are already struggling to pay their bills which is why they are getting the free food in the first place.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

You have to wonder what goes through the mind of people who set those policies.  It makes zero sense to force the parents to run out and spend gas money every single day when many of them are already struggling to pay their bills which is why they are getting the free food in the first place.

exactly

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Thanks for sharing this.  I went ahead and looked at it.  I don't like that they won't even let you see your option until you have ordered a box and given them credit card information.  But I tried anyways.  First available was for this Sat so I picked that one.  However the customization opened on Sunday so they were sold out of about half the options.  While I could have picked from those and found ways to use it, I chose to move my date to next Wednesday.  I can't pick my items yet but I will as soon as it opens so I will hopefully have better choices.  The only drawback is that I will be getting school lunches the same day so I really have to make sure I have my fridges paired down.  I do have a dorm fridge I could plug in if I was desperate but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible.  But all in all it did looks like some good options and at 50% off the price seemed reasonable.  We'll see how big the amount is when it comes to decide if it's worth paying full price for.

Here is the vlog where I got the deal from.  She gets the big box and shows what she picked. You can get an idea of the amount.

It looked like a lot for $17 to me. 

WALMART GROCERY HAUL & MISFITS MARKET UNBOXING | FRUGAL FIT MOM VLOGMAS #6 - YouTube

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Booo, that stinks.  I think at first ours was doing that.  Back in the spring.  We have a lot of places to pick up in our town, and the one that is nearest to us is only maybe 2 mins away.  So it wouldn't be that big of a deal to go everyday.  But I prefer to do it once a week.   But maybe that isn't easier?  

But the schools in town have been virtual, face to face, and now sometimes virtual when the school is closed due to covid.  Either way the meals are always there.  You can pick up everyday, or for the whole week, or for a few days.  Whatever.  And they are doing it for the Christmas break too.  You can pick up 7 or 14 days of breakfast and lunch.  They have pick up during the day and in the evening for that.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Yes.  They make things so hard for working parents too.  I wish that they were using the bus route to deliver meals like other places do or did.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Thank you for asking. All went well, ds had no trouble at all and it was quicker than I expected. He was the first one scheduled after lunch, they got him right back and it was only about an hour. He's not having any pain (yet) anyway, they had him take ibuprofen right away to hopefully put off so much pain when the numbness wears off. The office had great COVID protocols too, although I just checked him in and waited in the car. I'm feeling much better about the next one.

-___________________________________

The girls went to my Mom's house today as I had to be gone all day because ds appointment was 1.5 hrs away. Mom sent home some chicken nuggets from the food boxes this summer -(I only got it a few times but she got it every week)- she's getting a cow butchered and is running out of freezer room. 

I'm so glad to hear it went well. I know it's a huge relief.

• Like 2

Today is grocery shopping.

Yesterday I got dinner ready to go so I only had to put it in the oven when I got home.

I packed myself some lunch and ate in the car during dh's procedure. I didn't pack him anything as I assumed he wouldn't be hungry but he was starving. I popped into Wal-Mart and got him rice pudding as of course he couldn't really chew, it's a favorite of his. Next time I'll make sure to pack him some soft snacks, maybe pre-buy some pudding since that worked well. He will be able to do lunch before next time as it is a little later so that should make it a bit easier for him.

• Like 3

DH got his notification from his last class today. He finished his last course at our comm coll for IT Security. Yay! He does has a BS in computers, but he wanted to focus on security, so he got an AAS in it. On the frugalista side, his work has reimbursed us for all his classwork. 

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

DH got his notification from his last class today. He finished his last course at our comm coll for IT Security. Yay! He does has a BS in computers, but he wanted to focus on security, so he got an AAS in it. On the frugalista side, his work has reimbursed us for all his classwork. 

Good for him!!

7 hours ago, Soror said:

Today is grocery shopping.

Yesterday I got dinner ready to go so I only had to put it in the oven when I got home.

I packed myself some lunch and ate in the car during dh's procedure. I didn't pack him anything as I assumed he wouldn't be hungry but he was starving. I popped into Wal-Mart and got him rice pudding as of course he couldn't really chew, it's a favorite of his. Next time I'll make sure to pack him some soft snacks, maybe pre-buy some pudding since that worked well. He will be able to do lunch before next time as it is a little later so that should make it a bit easier for him.

I am glad it went so well for him.  Is he having another root canal? He sounds like he has a high pain tolerance though.   Some of my kids wouldn't do so well if we just had to drop them off for a procedure. 

• Like 2

Congrats to your dh, ya!!!

I called the dental insurance. The 4 claims out for November are showing I still owe $150 (already paid $160). Last time they wrote off a bit so I'm not sure how much my OOP will be. I have to take dd back on Thursday for more fillings so I'll see if they have those figures (I bet not as slow as they are but I'll ask). We have 4 more fillings for various people this month but I'm sure I won't get those bills until Jan, although I may have to pay some ahead of time

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I am glad it went so well for him.  Is he having another root canal? He sounds like he has a high pain tolerance though.   Some of my kids wouldn't do so well if we just had to drop them off for a procedure. 

Yes, he has another in 4 weeks. He does have a high pain tolerance (partially the issue as he doesn't let us know when he has pain). I didn't drop him off. I just stayed in the parking lot in the car after they took him back so I wouldn't have to sit in the office. It was a small office and parking lot, it took maybe 30 seconds to get from the car in the door so I was right there if needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soror said:

Yes, he has another in 4 weeks. He does have a high pain tolerance (partially the issue as he doesn't let us know when he has pain). I didn't drop him off. I just stayed in the parking lot in the car after they took him back so I wouldn't have to sit in the office. It was a small office and parking lot, it took maybe 30 seconds to get from the car in the door so I was right there if needed.

Oh yeah, I know you stayed there.  I have a few kids who would have not done well with that.  The one kid who had surgery had to do that.  But another one of my couldn't have done that.   Man even just shots at the doctors office are TRAMATIC.  I kid you not.      So no way could I have just had some of mine go in on their own.  Even my youngest needed to go to a different dentist during this time and they wanted her to do it on her own.  Um she was 4 and never met you guys before.  We had to push to be able to be with her.  

I get why it is safer to do it the way they are doing, but it is hard on the kids if they need a support person there.  I am pretty sure I couldn't have done that at that age.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh yeah, I know you stayed there.  I have a few kids who would have not done well with that.  The one kid who had surgery had to do that.  But another one of my couldn't have done that.   Man even just shots at the doctors office are TRAMATIC.  I kid you not.      So no way could I have just had some of mine go in on their own.  Even my youngest needed to go to a different dentist during this time and they wanted her to do it on her own.  Um she was 4 and never met you guys before.  We had to push to be able to be with her.  

I get why it is safer to do it the way they are doing, but it is hard on the kids if they need a support person there.  I am pretty sure I couldn't have done that at that age.  

Aha, I see. I wouldn't be keen on leaving a 4yo either, although my youngest  been insisted that we don't go in with her to get fillings after 5 maybe. Ds is of course way past us going in with him at 16. I'm not cool on any place not letting parents go back with young kids. 

• Like 1

I'm on a mission to make sure that all the leftovers/school lunch/groceries don't go to waste. Any ideas on things to use up canned fruit? I have some peaches, pears, and a couple of individual servings of that fruit cocktail. No one is really eating much of it on its own. Any good recipes that use up canned fruit? I used applesauce as the cold water in jello yesterday (it's a holiday meal tradition in my DH's family, so the kids were super stoked to get it just on a random Monday). Our excess of apples (which have been getting eaten, but we had a glut of them) went to a pie filling for the freezer for Christmas and apple fritter bread today. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

I'm on a mission to make sure that all the leftovers/school lunch/groceries don't go to waste. Any ideas on things to use up canned fruit? I have some peaches, pears, and a couple of individual servings of that fruit cocktail. No one is really eating much of it on its own. Any good recipes that use up canned fruit? I used applesauce as the cold water in jello yesterday (it's a holiday meal tradition in my DH's family, so the kids were super stoked to get it just on a random Monday). Our excess of apples (which have been getting eaten, but we had a glut of them) went to a pie filling for the freezer for Christmas and apple fritter bread today. 

So smart on your part to do that.  We don't usually have an issue eating it up.  But yeah you do get a lot of apples and oranges.  My kids love canned fruit, I hardly ever buy it so, having it come with the stuff they love it.  I am not a cook at all, so when in doubt I just throw stuff in a smoothie.  

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Peaches and pears could be made into crisp, crumbles, or cobblers. Peaches are also often used on pork.

• Like 1

We've bought the jello with fruit cups as a treat and my kids loved them.  So I would probably start there and just mix the fruit into your jello before it sets.  I also saw several cake recipes that called for canned fruit (I just googled and saw a list, I didn't link since I haven't tried any of them).  You could cook them together with a bit of cornstarch and vanilla and make a syrup/sauce to go on waffles/pancakes/ice cream or top with crumble for a fruit crumble dessert.  You could also add it to quick bread in place of something like blueberries or strawberries. 

• Like 2

I have $10 dollars more to save for some new trail runners. I am hoping to have that funded by the middle of the month. 

After taking a million surveys I finally qualify for a study but only get to do it if there are enough openings, it is $85 that will go to the vaca fund.

Dh is continuing to work plenty of OT even though he's been trying to cut back they always seem to need him for something. That will move us along in sinking funds and Efund more quickly.\

I got the rest of my groceries yesterday. I found some gf chicken nuggets half off so got dd 4 bags- still way overpriced but will make a quick meal for her and since my mom gave me regular chicken nuggets I hate not to have some for her too. Those serve as quick meals- they love "junk food lunches".

We are going to be buying a hog from a guy dh works with, final cost should be $200-$225, that will be at the end of March, so a few more months of squeezing extra out of the grocery budget and my freezer will be really full this spring 🙂

• Like 3

For a limited time, Amazon is offering $10 off your $50 LEGO purchase! Even better, many sets are already discounted, making for even bigger savings when paired with this offer.

Grab a few sets for the gift closet or for under the tree!

HIP TIP: Target is offering a FREE $10 Target Gift Card with your $50 LEGO purchase through December 12th! If you don’t find the set you like on Amazon, make sure to check the Target deals!

• Like 1

Through December 12th, Target is offering one of our favorite deals and that’s the Buy Two Kids Books, Get One Free sale – valid both in-store and online!

Even better, through December 12th, you can score 20% off Santa Says Talking Plush Elf on the Shelf with a new Circle offer and it’s included in this sale! Plus, if you are a Target REDcard holder, you’ll save an additional 5% off your purchase.

• Like 1

Picked up the Walmart order yesterday.  A few household things added.  A new humidifier and window blinds. 

Going to pick up the rest of the weeks lunches today. 

Charter school for ballet for 1 kiddo.  

I want to do some more Christmas shopping today.  I should get some more donations ready today too.  

• Like 1

There are a bunch of pjs on sale at Walmart.  Some of these are the ones that I ordered and we got them yesterday.  The pj pants, are really nice.  I should have ordered more.  They are now priced high again.  They were 2 pairs for $5.   I was going to do that for matching pjs and then one size was $18 so I didn't.  But I should have ordered more in the sizes that were on sale.   😞

Just in case anyone else needs pjs.

Sleep On It - Sleep On It Boys NASA 2-Piece Long Sleeve Pajama Pant Set Sizes 4-18 - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Sleep On It - Sleep On It Boys NASA Long Sleeve Glow in Dark Pajama Pants Set, 2-Piece, Sizes 4-18 - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Sleep On It - Sleep On It Boys 2 Piece Long Sleeve Pajama Pant Set sizes 5-18 & Husky - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Social Edition - Social Edition Boys 2-Piece Pajama Set with Matching Eye Mask Sizes 4-16 - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Sleep On It - Sleep On It Girl's 2-Piece Pajama Set sizes 5-18 & Plus - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

• Like 1

I went to Food Lion this morning to do a small trip for some ingredients we needed to make gingerbread men and as I walked in they were giving away gift cards. It was set up safely, they had a table with plastic food storage containers spread out on it and each had a gift card in it.  So, you just grabbed one and went on your way.  When they were gone they were gone.  The gift cards had $10 on them.  What a small but nice gesture from Food Lion.

• Like 5

We picked up another school lunch box this morning.  Even with knowing the menu in advance, this is something akin to Christmas morning with the kids each opening their box at the same time and squeeling over what they find.  Of particular joy was the larger than normal package of fruit snacks.  The meals this week also seemed much more filling and no one ate more than one lunch and a few sides for lunch today (despite the fact that no one had eaten breakfast beforehand).  So this might last at more than the 2-3 days of last week.  I'm pretty surprised how well these are going over and while it is more processed than I would normally serve, they aren't too bad overall.  The only thing that everyone has rejected is the hot dogs last week.  However, since our puppy is in the middle of training and the trainer recommended hot dogs as a high value treat, we will be using them up that way so still a win.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I went to Food Lion this morning to do a small trip for some ingredients we needed to make gingerbread men and as I walked in they were giving away gift cards. It was set up safely, they had a table with plastic food storage containers spread out on it and each had a gift card in it.  So, you just grabbed one and went on your way.  When they were gone they were gone.  The gift cards had $10 on them.  What a small but nice gesture from Food Lion.

That is nice of them.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

We picked up another school lunch box this morning.  Even with knowing the menu in advance, this is something akin to Christmas morning with the kids each opening their box at the same time and squeeling over what they find.  Of particular joy was the larger than normal package of fruit snacks.  The meals this week also seemed much more filling and no one ate more than one lunch and a few sides for lunch today (despite the fact that no one had eaten breakfast beforehand).  So this might last at more than the 2-3 days of last week.  I'm pretty surprised how well these are going over and while it is more processed than I would normally serve, they aren't too bad overall.  The only thing that everyone has rejected is the hot dogs last week.  However, since our puppy is in the middle of training and the trainer recommended hot dogs as a high value treat, we will be using them up that way so still a win.  

It is like that here too.  They get really excited to see what is packed in the meals.  

So I had been avoiding the meals because I was worried about pickup.  I went to pick up again today and I am the only person there, except for the person handing them out.  We are both masked, so I think it seems safeish.

They are giving them so much food.  Today's lunch was easily enough for 2 meals.  We will have to cut down a lot of grocery shopping because they give so much.  So I will probably keep doing it for now.  My big "problem" is that they are handing out meals for winter break, but you have to choose for 7 or 14 days.  I probably don't have enough room to store that amount, even if we emptied the fridge.  It would be different if it was some shelf stable things, but I don't have a clue as to what the food is. 

Ok, you guys remember my Lego drama?  We put in a huge order on Thanksgiving night.  They said that they normally ship FedEx and that FedEx is refusing to do their shipping because it was to big a volume.  We called and they said they were going to ship USPS.  Ok great that was a week ago.  They still haven't shipped anything.   I am beyond pissed.  They took our money of course. They will not issue a refund or cancel the order.  You have to wait for your items and then ship them back to get a refund.   I won't be buying from them again.   

• Like 1

We have officially been exposed to covid.  Well the kids have, so we're hunkering down for the next 2 weeks.  I think I'm going to take this 2 week quarantine as a chance to get our spending back down for the month.  Can I do a no spend 2 weeks?  Food wise, I can.  I can't imagine anything else we'll need for the next two weeks. we'll see

• Sad 5

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

We have officially been exposed to covid.  Well the kids have, so we're hunkering down for the next 2 weeks.  I think I'm going to take this 2 week quarantine as a chance to get our spending back down for the month.  Can I do a no spend 2 weeks?  Food wise, I can.  I can't imagine anything else we'll need for the next two weeks. we'll see

Oh no.  I am sending all my prayers your way that your family doesn't get it.  Where were they exposed? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh no.  I am sending all my prayers your way that your family doesn't get it.  Where were they exposed? 

Neighbor kids.  The mom tested positive, random test for work, but she has no symptoms.  The dad tested negative, also random test for work.  Kids have now been tested once mom had a positive but their tests aren't back.  The mom is retesting with a different test in hope of false positive.  But until we know the results of all those tests we're assuming direct exposure.  They have been pretty responsible with covid precautions and are likely more cautious than we are.  But both parents are teachers and have been back in school with maybe a third of the kids they usually have.

She is actually the first person I personally know who has tested positive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Awww, I'm sorry about the exposure. Glad you are able to hunker down easily, and I hope it'll just pass you by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Neighbor kids.  The mom tested positive, random test for work, but she has no symptoms.  The dad tested negative, also random test for work.  Kids have now been tested once mom had a positive but their tests aren't back.  The mom is retesting with a different test in hope of false positive.  But until we know the results of all those tests we're assuming direct exposure.  They have been pretty responsible with covid precautions and are likely more cautious than we are.  But both parents are teachers and have been back in school with maybe a third of the kids they usually have.

She is actually the first person I personally know who has tested positive.

Hoping the neighbor kids don't actually have it.   Does your city have low numbers?  Just wondering since you don't know anyone who actually has had it yet.   It seems so widespread right now.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Hoping the neighbor kids don't actually have it.   Does your city have low numbers?  Just wondering since you don't know anyone who actually has had it yet.   It seems so widespread right now.  

They say numbers are high here but I don't know. About 500 new cases a day recently from a quick search.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is that your city or state numbers?  

County. I'm actually using the county in the state next to us because we are on the border and almost everyone in my neighborhood works in that state and does most of their stuff in that state. That is about 2/3 of the entire states numbers. Plus, mostly everyone I know lives in that county.

My actual county is under 100 a day

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 11:44 AM, historically accurate said:

Yay!

• Like 2

Dh is getting a raise.  It will come to at least $2000 more per month than he is getting now.  I’m pretty excited, especially since contacting the state insurance program that provides our secondary insurance and learning that our kids will not lose their secondary coverage from the pay increase.  (Dh’s work insurance has a $15,000 family deductible.)

He also learned that the community college isn’t cutting his class after all, so he will be teaching next semester after all.

Edited by Condessa
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

Dh is getting a raise.  It will come to at least $2000 more per month than he is getting now.  I’m pretty excited, especially since contacting the state insurance program that provides our secondary insurance and learning that our kids will not lose their secondary coverage from the pay increase.  (Dh’s work insurance has a $15,000 family deductible.)

He also learned that the community college isn’t cutting his class after all, so he will be teaching next semester after all.

Whooohooo, that is an awesome raise!!  Congrats

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Condessa said:

Wow! That's pretty life altering! in a good way! 🙂 Cangratulations!

• Like 1