Menu

Excited about snake sitting!

Terabith

Our friend, who has one of the handsomest ball pythons in the world, named Loch Ness, is moving.  There's a few days in between when they have to vacate their old property and when they can move into their new property.  So we get to snake sit and keep him at our house for a few days!  I'm so excited!

We decided to put him in my husband's office, because it's the room with the steadiest temperature.  

I hope he's happy while he's here!

• Like 7

Enjoy!!!!   You are far braver than me, I don't want a snake in my state, much less my house.   I have a relative who loves them and even as a child always had one as a pet.  I'm sure he will be very happy in your husband's office.   You are so excited about him, have you considered getting one for yourself?    The holidays are coming and he would make a nice present for you.

39 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Enjoy!!!!   You are far braver than me, I don't want a snake in my state, much less my house.   I have a relative who loves them and even as a child always had one as a pet.  I'm sure he will be very happy in your husband's office.   You are so excited about him, have you considered getting one for yourself?    The holidays are coming and he would make a nice present for you.

We have thought about it.  My oldest really wanted a snake, and both my husband and I really like them.  But, we discovered on previous snake sitting opportunities that my oldest doesn't really love taking care of the snake.  And they are enough work that honestly, while I like snakes, I'm not eager to take on full time care of one, since they can live a very long time.  Honestly, it's easier to find someone to feed and scoop the cats' litter boxes than it is to find someone to take care of a snake if you go out of town.  

• Like 1

Dd15 got herself an African Egg Eating Snake in the spring.  Twiggy is super-cute, and pretty easy to care for.  Apparently she thinks it is the rainy season right now, and doesn't want to come out of her humidity hide where she has blocked up the opening by making a door from her bedding-shavings.

Snake-sitting is probably like grandparenting?  You get to have fun with them for awhile, and then return them to their owners for regular care and maintenance.

Edited by Amy in NH
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I’m glad you’re happy. I’m not a fan of snakes because don’t you have to feed it <<shudder>> rodents <<more shuddering>>?

You do.  One of the reasons I would only want an adult snake is that I would want them already accustomed to frozen rats.  I like rats, too, and I wouldn't want to feed live ones to a snake.  (The other reason I'd want an already adult snake is so we'd know how big it was going to get, which has ramifications for habitat.)

• Like 1

I actually find our pet snake (corn snake) the easiest pet to care for ever.  She eats about once a week, thaw a few frozen mice and done.  Clean water all the time, pretty easy.  Only need to change bedding on occasion because since they only eat once, they only poop once and it's pretty easy to scoop out of the bedding.   Ours is a corn snake so native to our area and mainly needs heat after eating.  No crazy humidity needs or anything.   We've left her home when we've gone away many times.

They do live a very long time though. 

Ours has been getting frozen mice since we got her as a baby.  Corns are known to be good eaters though.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DorothyNJ said:

I actually find our pet snake (corn snake) the easiest pet to care for ever.  She eats about once a week, thaw a few frozen mice and done.  Clean water all the time, pretty easy.  Only need to change bedding on occasion because since they only eat once, they only poop once and it's pretty easy to scoop out of the bedding.   Ours is a corn snake so native to our area and mainly needs heat after eating.  No crazy humidity needs or anything.   We've left her home when we've gone away many times.

They do live a very long time though. 

Ours has been getting frozen mice since we got her as a baby.  Corns are known to be good eaters though.  

Yeah, when we were thinking seriously about a snake, I think we had decided on a corn snake.  The 30 year plus life span makes me nervous though.  I mean, I'm 44 now.  I don't know why I'm so hesitant, when we always have cats, who live easily for 20 years, but other people are more willing to take on a cat if we drop dead or something.  There is a reptile rescue, that if we got them from them, they could probably go back to.  It just fizzled a bit when we realized oldest child wasn't really interested in caring for animals.  (Hence the no also to Newfoundland puppy and pair of ferrets as well.)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

So... do snakes want to hang out with one? I'm now very curious. 

Hang out with one what?  Person? or other snakes?

My snake LOVES being held by people.  She comes visit my science center all the time (based on feeding and shedding schedule) and is handled by the kids.  She gets very active when people are around and loves to come out.  I have a couple moms that hold her because she's like a massage or a weighted blanket, they find her soothing.   I carry her around while I do stuff sometimes. 

Now to be fair, she may just like the warmth people put off.  😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DorothyNJ said:

Hang out with one what?  Person? or other snakes?

I meant people. Sorry to be confusing! 

1 hour ago, DorothyNJ said:

My snake LOVES being held by people.  She comes visit my science center all the time (based on feeding and shedding schedule) and is handled by the kids.  She gets very active when people are around and loves to come out.  I have a couple moms that hold her because she's like a massage or a weighted blanket, they find her soothing.   I carry her around while I do stuff sometimes. 

Now to be fair, she may just like the warmth people put off.  😉

Hah, the human heaters... 

Both of DD's snakes came from homeschooled teens who had grown up and moved away, and parents didn't want to care for the snake anymore. Her ball python has raised two prior kids. He's probably in his early 30's, which means he's a senior citizen. He's More than willing to hang out and do homework. The corn snake was 5 when DD got her, and is now about 13-14. She is more active, but again, is a great education animal (the first time I pulled her out to show a group of kids, I found myself looking at the snake and commenting "you've done this before, haven't you?) Because she was so good at it. She most recently came out for a 6 yr old piano student via zoom, and proved she was just as good at showing off over the camera vs in person.

DD is hoping to be able to bring them with her to college-her front runner school has a student Herpetology club that does outreach events, and her top schools all have Herpetology labs where hopefully they would be able to let a few extras stay in exchange for animal Care or lab assistance. I'll miss them if they go with her. 

• Like 5

My daughter was just talking about all of the snakes she wants when she’s got her own place. Maybe I’ll be a snake sitter some day, lol.

I’m actually weird about snakes. There were two sort of “communal” corn snakes in my college dorm, totally against the rules. I somehow brought one home for winter break, and I have no idea how I got away with that with my mom. She wasn’t a pet person at all, never mind a snake fan. I have zero recollection of the conversation to get permission, so maybe it was a trauma I’ve blocked, lol.

Anyway, I did love that snake, but I currently have zero desire to be around any.  I think it’s because I’m constantly startled by snakes out in the yard, and I’m terrible at quickly identifying them to know whether or not I’m in danger, so I’m startled and then scared. That’s probably taken a toll on my psyche.

• Like 1

It's funny because if dh had asked me before buying the snake (they were supposed to be getting fish), I would have said to get a ball python.  They were what I was used to handling when I was a docent at a local zoo.   But corn snakes are actually easier since they are native to our area.   

4 minutes ago, DorothyNJ said:

It's funny because if dh had asked me before buying the snake (they were supposed to be getting fish), I would have said to get a ball python.  They were what I was used to handling when I was a docent at a local zoo.   But corn snakes are actually easier since they are native to our area.   

How did you feel about them coming home with a snake instead of fish?? 

3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

How did you feel about them coming home with a snake instead of fish?? 

Well, I definitely knew a good portion of her care would be my responsibility, whereas dh handles all water tanks.  But otherwise, I was fine with it.   I handled snakes a lot as a docent and I was always supposed to get my oldest daughter a pet snake but it didn't work out due to circumstances (where we were living, etc).    It was a little weird to come home expecting a new fish tank and have him tell me to look on our bed (weird place for a fish to be hanging out).  He had her there with the heated mattress pad on low to keep her warm until her tank could be fully set up.  

We've had her almost 7 years now and she's wonderful.  

Our usual pet sitter is a homeschool mom with two kids. They are THRILLED when they get to feed one of the snakes :). They've also cared for (along with cats) frogs, turtles, mealworms, crickets, hissing cockroaches, and a bearded dragon (because we sometimes end up fostering various creatures). She's awesome-she's been willing to give medication to a cat with thyroid disease and cancer in the past, and that's not easy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

When you guys say they eat frozen rats, do you thaw them out first?

I have no intention of allowing a snake in my  house, but I am curious.  🤣

Yes, they are thawed.  Sometimes we also warm them up (warm running water) but usually that's not necessary.  

We've only gone away long enough to need a snake sitter once and we brought her over to my mom's house along with the dog.  Although the snake slept in oldest dd's room (she lives with my mom).    I do have multiple volunteers should we ever need one again.  

Yes. You thaw them, and heat them in hot water. For a BP, they need to be pretty hot because pythons use their heat pits to detect prey, so you ideally need to get them up to the rst's normal body temperature. With our elderly snake, I think his senses are starting to fail him, so I actually super charge his in water that is just under boiling, because otherwise, he has trouble finding them.  For the corn snake, we warm hers as well, but it doesn't have to be as hot because corn snakes don't hunt by heat as much as by smell/taste (snakes have a Jacobson's organ, so they actually taste scents more than smell them. That's one reason why tongue flick rate is used as a metric of a snake's interest). Species that eat insects or fish usually are sight hunters and need their food to move. 

5 hours ago, dmmetler said:

(snakes have a Jacobson's organ, so they actually taste scents more than smell them. That's one reason why tongue flick rate is used as a metric of a snake's interest). 

Oohhh!  So when Loch Ness was exploring and his tongue was flicking in and out like crazy, he was super interested?  He definitely seemed intrigued.