Menu

S/O thread: piercings.

Not_a_Number

I did my first set at 16 and my second set at 17.  I wore something in them all the time for the first 4 years or so. By 22 I had given them up completely.  Now 25 years later, I still have holes.  I don't know if they are open enough to push a stud through but there is definitely some opening in them.  I know because I have to drain them a couple times of month.  Sometimes they are red and swollen (probably only one or twice a year)and it's definitely infection in there, most times its more like just dead skill cells.  I do have to drain from the front and back side so perhaps it's closed in the middle. But it's pretty annoying that 25 years they I still have to "tend" to them.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

If you love them, this would probably be an easy fix for a jeweler or even just a handy person with access to finer tools.  

For me, I wore earrings semi-regularly from 12 to 20 or so.  My holes are closed now, but despite that, one of my ears gets infected somewhat regularly, so I assume that ear is still microscopically open or something.  It is a huge PITA because at least with an open piercing hole, you have access to the infection site and can clean, etc.  I just end up with a red, swollen earlobe that eventually peels around the old piercing site.  Ugh.  Totally regret getting my ears pierced.  I also totally regret getting my belly button pierced, not that anyone asked.  🤣

I didn't read through the thread before I responded but that's a pretty accurate description to what happening to me too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, G5052 said:

I wear earrings on Sundays, and not at all during the week. I teach live online, and earrings and headphones aren't a good mix for me. I've tried. 

No sign at all of them closing up. I actually went a year without wearing them at all, and it made no difference. 

Can you wear french hook earrings? I could never wear post earrings when I worked customer service and had a phone stuck to my ear, but french hook earrings were fine.  

—-

I’ve never not worn earrings for more than a day or two so I don’t know if they’d close up. 

I got my belly button pierced in my 20s (it was the 90s and I was in my 20s, pretty sure it was required back then).  It never healed right and always was a little sore, so I took that ring out. It started healing over within an hour or two.  My body just did NOT want a hole in my belly!

Edited by Garga

8 hours ago, Garga said:

I got my belly button pierced in my 20s (it was the 90s and I was in my 20s, pretty sure it was required back then).  It never healed right and always was a little sore, so I took that ring out. It started healing over within an hour or two.  My body just did NOT want a hole in my belly!

I don’t remember exactly when I got my tongue pierced, but that thing closed up so fast I had to marvel at the powers of the human body.  Even when just changing it, I was always worried about not getting a new one in.

I wouldn’t want it back again, but I’m still a tiny bit resentful. Dh (before he was dh) asked me to take it out on a dare. He wasn’t a big fan of piercings or tattoos back then. Now he has two giant tattoos. Jerk. 😛 
(To be clear, I take the responsibility for doing it. It’s just more fun to hold it over him.)

• Like 1

I had them pierced in 5th grade, that went badly, and I stopped wearing earrings and let them close up. 

I got them re-pierced somewhere in junior high/high school (before 10th grade...), and wore earrings a lot for a while, but eventually quit. They are closed up again (though you can kind of tell where the hole is/was). 

13 hours ago, Scarlett said:

When I was 11 a friend of my mom’s pierced my ears with a needle and ice cubes.  I vividly remember that the needle was sterilized.  I have never had a problem.  

How did she sterilize it? When I pierced my college boyfriend's ear, I soaked the (sewing) needle in alcohol, then burned it with a lighter. I thought I was being responsible. lol. 

1 hour ago, mellifera33 said:

How did she sterilize it? When I pierced my college boyfriend's ear, I soaked the (sewing) needle in alcohol, then burned it with a lighter. I thought I was being responsible. lol. 

Yep they did it over the gas stove.  That is sterile right? I always thought it was.