Menu

Will my DS appreciate a throw pillow?

Familia

I need to decide this soon, as ‘tis the season, and all.  Thinking of a crochet pillow, smaller than a standard for DS to have in his room away.  He is a minimalist, but I know he likes his arm rest pillow.  DH thinks he would not use it and that throw pillows are for sofas.  What says the hive?  He already has a scarf, so would not use that.  A blanket would be redundant, as well as too big of a project.

Is this a college student? My son who is at college has a number of extra pillows to use for when he is reading/studying on his bed. If he is living in tight quarters, it's a nice option.  And it's always nice to have a piece of home away.   It doesn't need to be 100% practical to be appreciated.

Our family is always fighting over the throw pillows in our living/sun room area including the college student when he is here.  They end up all over the place.

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bambam said:

My kids don't like throw pillows and consider them a waste. But I know lots of people who like them so everyone is different!
Can you just ask him or do you want it to be a surprise? 

He is a grad student, living on his own (sharing).  I do want it to be a surprise.

So practical of a soul, yet likes being comfy.  I am only torn b/c it will be a commitment, as I am finishing my first ever Afghan for a nephew now, and ‘long’ projects are new to me.   This should be fairly straightforward.  Thinking of this pattern:

https://christacodesign.com/2020/06/11/lombardy-pillow-a-free-crochet-pillow-pattern/

• Like 1

My son likes throw pillows too (when he watches tv or reads). He will take a few with him to college next year.

I don't crochet but I knit, and the the males in my house have appreciated hats, socks, fingerless gloves, and house-shoes (scarfs too, but you mentioned you had already gifted him one). 

I hope he appreciates anything you decide to make for him 🙂

Edited by StillStanding
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, StillStanding said:

My son likes throw pillows too (when he watches tv or reads). He will take a few with him to college next year.

I don't crochet but I knit, and the the males in my house have appreciated hats, socks, fingerless gloves, and house-shoes (scarfs too, but you mention you had already gifted him one). 

I hope he appreciate anything you decide to make for him 🙂

That is a good point.  He would be a very gracious receiver, whether he decides to use it once it is at his place or not=) I guess he comes by his practicality honestly, as I am sometimes a little too practical.  I mean, it is a good looking pillow, he can always throw it on his sofa one day!

• Like 2

I doubt my son would be excited about a throw pillow.
I wouldn't either.  And I would not use decorative pillows on a sofa either.
The problem with home made gifts is that one can never get rid of them without guilt, so I'd only make my kids something they have expressed that they want.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I doubt my son would be excited about a throw pillow.
I wouldn't either.  And I would not use decorative pillows on a sofa either.
The problem with home made gifts is that one can never get rid of them without guilt, so I'd only make my kids something they have expressed that they want.

This, exactly. Personal experience with the very item in question.

• Thanks 1

Maybe I can make the throw pillow for his room, the one in our home that he stays in rarely.  B/c I would really enjoy making this pillow - it is good looking - and I would use it...having discovered the need for throw pillows when reading in bed, etc, in recent years.  Then, when he finds it there when staying at Christmas time, I can tell him to feel free to take it to his rental if he thinks he’d use it.  

Hmmm, that feels kinda like a silly cop-out haha, why can I not make up my mind!=)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Familia said:

Maybe I can make the throw pillow for his room, the one in our home that he stays in rarely.  B/c I would really enjoy making this pillow - it is good looking - and I would use it...having discovered the need for throw pillows when reading in bed, etc, in recent years.  Then, when he finds it there when staying at Christmas time, I can tell him to feel free to take it to his rental if he thinks he’d use it.  

Hmmm, that feels kinda like a silly cop-out haha, why can I not make up my mind!=)

I think that is a great idea because it sounds like YOU would enjoy making the pillow.
You do not need an excuse to make it - just make it because it brings you joy. And if he wants to take it, he can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @regentrude - the joy of putting things in his room for him (usually leave groceries in there for him to take LOL) is real, I would enjoy making it, and he would use it when home...maybe.

But, I just had a thought...I quilt a little, not really good at it, but I am not a perfectionist.  I could make a quilted sham out of nice, soft cotton for him to rotate out with his regular pillow cases/shams.  He changs frequently d/t history of acne, so I imagine It would be put in the regular rotation.  A simple quilted sham might be a little more complicated, but would probably not be more time intensive than crocheting the pillow.

Edited by Familia

2 minutes ago, Familia said:

I could make a quilted sham out of nice, soft cotton for him to rotate out with his regular pillow cases/shams.  He changs frequently d/t history of acne, so I imagine It would be put in the regular rotation.  A simple quilted sham might be a little more complicated, but would probably not be more time intensive than crocheting the pillow.

Are you sure he would appreciate that? Not trying to rain on your parade... but it has taken me literally decades before I was able to get rid of at least some of my mother's handmade gifts.

I can't imagine that sleeping with one's face on something quilted is comfortable.

• Haha 1

@regentrudeI totally get the ‘decades before I was able to get rid of at least some of my mother’s handmade gifts.”  I guess I really want to make something homemade AND practical.  I sleep on a quilted sham (very soft fabric) when I travel, as it is so much nicer looking to walk through a hotel with that then a regular pillowcase, IMO.  The only part of it that bothers my (sensitive) face is the small ribbon flowers on it.  I think quality matters.  So...that does make me ponder whether or not my stitching/quilting would be comfortable, as I do not have the piecing down pat & the seams running in different directions could be uncomfortable. 

I think you should make what you want to make for YOU. And if he’s home and uses it a lot, you could casually mention he’s welcome to it if he wants. But you have to be prepared for him not to take it, and if he does take it, for him to use/not use/do whatever with it. 
I have one son that would either say no thanks or take it and get rid of it after a while when his needs or style changed. The other son would feel obligated to take it whether he wanted it or not and would keep it forever and ever along with the plastic bracelet somebody four towns and five schools ago gave him when he was 7.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kareni said:

I vote for making the pillow. If he unwraps it at home, tell him he's free to leave it decorating his old room if he chooses.

What yarn would you use? I like the yarn in the link because it's neutral yet has character.

Regards,

Kareni

Yes, that exact thread.  It is such a basic stitch, and I usually do not like variegated yarn,,,this is such a good looking pillow for being ‘basic’ and ‘masculine’.  Thanks, @Jean in Newcastle, too, you have probably pushed me over the edge.  I will use @Kareni’s suggestion of telling him that he can use it here or there!  I mean the worst that can happen is his wife gives it to the thrift store some day...to bless someone else=)

• Like 2

That doesn't strike me as a traditional throw pillow that would basically have to be on the sofa, so I say yes, I think that would make a nice and versatile gift. If it's soft, it would be great for lounging, or he can set it on his chest to support a device. Giving the option to leave it or take it is a good idea. 

Now all I can think of is the Progressive commercial about turning into your parents, where the life coach is removing throw pillows from the sofa, If you can't sit down, you have too many . . . 

• Haha 1

While I think that is super special that you would hand-make something personal for your DS -- is that the style and material that would best appeal to the gift recipient?

For example, I crotchet, too. BUT, I know that my own DSs much prefer the feel of super-soft fleecy blankets, and soft material for a back support pillows for the bed (example here). They also would use a nice quality foam chair cushions for their computer desk chairs, but I don't think they would like it to have a crotcheted covering...

Also, maybe I have just used poorer quality yarn, but if the item gets used a lot, the yarn rubs and gets "fuzzy" looking a shabby, not-good-looking way... The pattern gets squashed or worn in places... And it's super hard to wash and get back into shape properly... It's next to impossible to get pet hair off of afghans made out of yarn... Sorry, I know I'm raining on your parade. 😢

Just a thought! 😉 BEST of luck, whatever you go with.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Thanks 1