Menu

Is ANYONE still on furlough besides me? UPDATE 😃

Amethyst

I homeschooled for 16 years but have been working full-time for the past 5 years at a job I love. I was furloughed in March and have been collecting unemployment which is nice, but I’d rather be working. They have told me multiple times they expect to call me back eventually but the date keeps changing.  I feel like I’m the last person In the world to go back to work. Anyone still furloughed, or know someone who is still furloughed?

Edited by Amethyst

LOTS of the oil industry is still furloughed. Lots. So, so many. 

You aren't alone. 

*for us personally, DH's employer is not a publicly traded company, and they've been able to manage by only limited furloughs (the one guy in his dept, quit and found a different job), and then having all of the managers use up their vacation time which I guess helps with accounting somehow. So, not reduced pay, but forced time off and an inability to *enjoy* said vacation time, since we're still pretty well shut down, normally save 2 wks for Christmas, etc. Not complaining, because, hey, it's better than flat out not working, not getting paid, etc. Just....blah. 

But, yes, many of the folks DH interacts with are still furloughed in one form or another. A lot of the companies did a 25% reduction, so forced one day off w/o pay, or forced one week off/month w/o pay (again, we are so grateful his forced time off "just" uses his vacation time instead...), and I know that all of those are still ongoing.  He's got a friend currently off working construction/hurricane recovery while furloughed or laid off (I forget which). And some whole companies that have ceased to exist. And still getting emails back from folks saying, "Hey, I'm no longer with......., you need to reach out to so-and-so instead...." and things like that. 

It definitely stinks. ((((hugs))))) 

• Sad 1

DD isn't furloughed but she had to take a medical leave because her work was unsafe for her.  She didn't work enough hours to qualify for unemployment.  Fortunately for her her other job is work from home and she can still do that, but it is only part time.

My adult daughter is still furloughed and expecting to transition to being officially laid off. Fortunately, between savings, unemployment checks and some recent reductions in living expenses, she will be able to ride things out for a while. She is in her penultimate semester of grad school and not entirely devastated to have extra time and energy to devote to school.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I have several small 'gig employment' jobs. One of those is teaching an after school cooking program at several elementary schools. The schools have reopened but they have not started up the after school programs yet. So still furloughed from that income. 

My daughter is a Stage Manager for Opera. She has not had a contract since March and was just told her contract with Opera Colorado in March 2021 will be moved to the Fall.  Because she normally lives on the road moving from venue to venue she is home with us now. I am really enjoying having her here but I know she is frustrated she has been travelling with live performances for 10 years and now suddenly dead stop. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Suzanne in ABQ said:

My son has only worked 2 days since March. He works in the commercial film industry, which is almost completely shut down. He hasn't received a penny of unemployment (though he did get his stimulus checks, which went right back to the IRS to pay his taxes for last year). 

This stinks. My dd who had graduated college in December didn’t receive any unemployment either cuz her substitute teaching jobs all dried up abruptly in March (she had been working full-time as a sub), but they decided she hadn’t worked enough in the first quarter. Fortunately, she’s got a fulltime (online) teaching job now. I hope things improve for your son soon. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, all, just an update. It looks like I’ll FINALLY be heading back to work on Tues (Oct 13)! I say “looks like” because I’m afraid something could happen between now and then. Cases are rising in my area, and the director of my department is apparently sick (I heard through the grapevine, no details). 

And it’s funny that now that I’m finally getting to go back, the scarier it is. I’ve got plenty of PPE, but also just got an air purifier for my tiny office. 

• Like 11

Yes, I have to go in. I work in a dental hygiene clinic at a dental hygiene school. The dental hygiene instructors have been going in while the students learn on dummies, but I’m the supervising dentist. They don’t need me until the students start seeing real patients again.  

• Like 3

• Amethyst changed the title to Is ANYONE still on furlough besides me? UPDATE 😃