Menu

Mask Recommendations

skimomma

I know there have been posts on this already, but with things moving so fast, I am hoping to get some updated recommendations.

We have been using homemade masks up until now.  But dd will be taking FTF classes as well as working and I will also be back onsite for my job soon.  This means we will both need to be wearing masks for many hours at a time.  Our homemade masks are not very comfortable and are not holding up well to frequent washings.  We are also in a location with a mask mandate that many people ignore.  So in addition to comfort and cost considerations, we would also like something that provides some protection to the wearer.  What out there that:

1.  Is machine washable/dry-able.

2.  Fastening can be switched between behind ear/back of head.

3.  Provides some protection to the wearer.

4.  Is reasonably priced.

5.  Cuteness is a plus as this involves a teenage girl:)

1 hour ago, Pen said:

https://people.com/health/old-navy-cloth-face-masks-with-adjustable-ear-straps/  —  a pack for 12.50. 

(I got Taiwan made Happy Mask, but they are hand washable only and are $18 or 24 each and you’d still have to add a back strap.) 

This is what we have as well.  Not machine washable, but easy enough to hand wash.

They aren’t as cute as some, but seem to have very good filtration.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Spryte said:

This is what we have as well.  Not machine washable, but easy enough to hand wash.

They aren’t as cute as some, but seem to have very good filtration.

Yes.  I agree.  Not as cute, not machine washable, but apparently excellent for filtering!

and to clarify, you are obviously referring to Taiwan made Happy Masks , not the Old Navy packs. 

• Like 2

We have been using Totobobo masks.  Can't put them in the washing machine but you can spritz them with alcohol or take the filters out and wash with soap and water.  The filters are a drop less than N95 level all the way up to N99 level (in the pro model).  I wanted protection for US and OTHERS and luckily I had them from a trip to China we did in the past.  I have bought more filters (I change them out every other week for low to moderate use, more when we have to be inside) and we are (please G-d) set until at least next spring.  The price isn't bad but quicker shipping is more (although better than a couple of months ago!).

Edited by YaelAldrich
Computer twitchyness
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, kand said:

If you’re looking for self protection in your mask, it looks like the Old Navy ones may not be as good because they have no nose wire. Without a nose wire, there’s no way to not have big gaps. You could always buy some of those adhesive nose piece strips to add to them, though. They are inexpensively available on both Amazon and Etsy. I can’t vouch for how well things would wash which I don’t use of nose wire attached. My nose wires are all in slip in casings.

Since these have a filter pocket, I bet you could add a piece of wire by creating a casing at the top of the mask. Even hand sewing one wouldn't take long.

• Like 1

I feel like we must be washing masks too often?  I cannot imagine hand washing each time.  We only wear them once, then they get washed.  

I do know about converting ear types to behind the head types but dh has one that is meant to do both and it is pretty slick.  But it was $20 so not reasonable seeing as I need to buy 5-10 per person so I am not doing laundry every day.  

None of us wear glasses so a nose piece is a plus.  I can attach nose pieces if necessary but would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

I feel like we must be washing masks too often?  I cannot imagine hand washing each time.  We only wear them once, then they get washed.  

I do know about converting ear types to behind the head types but dh has one that is meant to do both and it is pretty slick.  But it was $20 so not reasonable seeing as I need to buy 5-10 per person so I am not doing laundry every day.  

None of us wear glasses so a nose piece is a plus.  I can attach nose pieces if necessary but would prefer not to if I can avoid it.

I’m not washing masks daily (nor every time I go somewhere public with them).   I assume that they can sit out and decontaminate as a general matter.   But if in daily FTF school/work, that would take more than one to be able to rotate them.  

5 hours ago, skimomma said:

I have found that machine washing and/or machine drying mangles the nose wires.   Either you need a removable nose wire (which can be a pain to take in and out of the casing each time you launder), or you need to hand wash.

Our family's masks go in a bucket when used.  When there are enough in there to be worth washing, I fill the bucket with hot water and laundry soap and plunge up and down with a toilet plunger a few times.  Dump the water, refill bucket to rinse, then spin out in the washing machine, and hang dry.  It doesn't take very long (probably less time than unthreading and rethreading nose wires into a casing would take for a load of masks).

ETA - or maybe there is some other type of nose wire that doesn't get all snarled up in the wash?

Edited by wathe

I bought some Old Navy ones yesterday (12.50 for a pack of 5 or 6). No pocket for filters, and no nose wire but they conform nicely to my face. They are double-layer, made of a thick, heavy cotton weave. Came out of the washer/dryer fine (I used a lingerie bag and the gentle cycle). They had 3-5 different packs with coordinating prints and colors. At least one pack was entirely solid colors that would be fine for boys or girls. 

I also bought some kid-sized masks at Target. $5/2 pack. Some color options, also just solid black. Double layer cotton with an open side for a filter. Nose wire. Came out of the wash a bit mangled—I’ll drip dry next time. 

We were out shopping yesterday and saw them in several places. Even Claire’s had a bunch of cute ones geared to the tween/teen crowd. Unicorns, kitty faces, etc. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

3 minutes ago, skimomma said:

For those that have used the Old Navy masks, do you find they conform to the nose well despite not having a wire?

Ours are comfortable and seem to fit pretty well, but my glasses fog up immediately if there's any humidity. I think the wire is a must with glasses. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wathe said:

ETA - or maybe there is some other type of nose wire that doesn't get all snarled up in the wash?

What kind of wire are you using? I use plastic coated paper clips. I straighten it completely, turn the ends back on themselves so that the sharp edge is facing the middle and then squeeze the bend tight with pliers. After that, I sew them completely shut into the mask. I don't leave any opening to take them out. I don't know how many times they've been washed since all this started but it's been a few, for sure, and they've all come through it great.

9 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

What kind of wire are you using? I use plastic coated paper clips. I straighten it completely, turn the ends back on themselves so that the sharp edge is facing the middle and then squeeze the bend tight with pliers. After that, I sew them completely shut into the mask. I don't leave any opening to take them out. I don't know how many times they've been washed since all this started but it's been a few, for sure, and they've all come through it great.

This is what I used for my homemade masks and they have held up fine to many washings and dryings on hot (for both).  It's the elastic that hasn't faired so well and also the part that is not comfortable.  I could certainly make more with a better system but at this point, I have made so many masks for ourselves and others that now that they are readily available to buy I just want to order some and call it done!  I am thinking I could add the paperclips to the Old Navy masks if the nose gaps too much.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Under Armor are supposed to be.  Several Other sports companies also making masks now.  Have no personal experience.   The Swim Spot Masks May be also.   

It may be that level of strenuous ness needs to be decreased to make up for mask, instead of assuming usual level of exertion will be possible.  

Masks have sometimes been used on purpose by athletes to prepare for more difficult competitions. 

@RootAnn

4 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Thanks @Pen. It isn't crazy level of physical exertion, but there is some. I ordered a UA mask tonight. They are out of stock for a couple weeks to a month.

UA got known first but could be some others Adidas? Nike? would have pretty good and available sooner. 

27 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Thanks @Pen. It isn't crazy level of physical exertion, but there is some. I ordered a UA mask tonight. They are out of stock for a couple weeks to a month.

We really like our UA masks--I'd say similar breathability to Happy Masks. 

When I ordered there was also a month-long wait, but now that they're here I feel like it was worth it. The ear straps are not the best, but if they fail I can sew on a replacement. It's really the fit, layers of filtration and breathability that I like a lot. 

• Like 2