Menu

A backup plan

My dh wanted to ask this.  Right now, I don't want to homeschool.  If I did choose to (for my 10th grader), I would choose all online classes.  I don't want to be in charge and I have had such prolonged stress in my life, I am pretty intolerant to it (I'm slowly healing).  We're just looking for a possible backup plan in case his public charter school "flakes" out and doesn't educate consistently if and when Covid hits.  Dh wants to know if there are any online programs that would start mid semester where I could get an online class.  I told him that it was pretty unlikely, but he still wants to ask.  

I did homeschool for 13 years previously so I am really aware of what I can handle at this point.

Thanks!

Edited by bethben

I would think the best you could hope for would be to add online classes for spring semester.  If I were in that situation and decided to homeschool part-way through fall semester, knowing the limitations, I would make math the priority and let everything else ride until I could add online classes in January.  Just my .02.  

Oh, I just remembered one of the colleges local to me offers D/E online classes for 8 weeks at a time - so if you have something like that convenient to you, you might be able to add online classes like that half-way through a semester.  The one I'm familiar with does not usually admit 10th graders, but maybe D/E works differently in your state.  

We have been happy with Laurel Springs for get it done secular classes. They are flexible on start dates but not cheap. It’s more of self study though there is an assigned teacher to ask for help and online (optional) weekly classes for English. 

• Like 1

I have to say, we had to pull my oldest out of tenth grade mid semester this past year.  There really weren't any online classes we could get into, even at the semester break.  We wound up signing up for community college for the second semester, but the rest of the first semester was mostly a waste.  We did some reading and some Great Courses and Derek Owens for math.  We got a tutor for Spanish.  Community college worked well until we went online, and then 2/3 of them worked okay, but their mental health took a nosedive.  

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

We have been happy with Laurel Springs for get it done secular classes. They are flexible on start dates but not cheap. It’s more of self study though there is an assigned teacher to ask for help and online (optional) weekly classes for English. 

We used Laurel Springs for our kids, too. You can start their classes at any time.

A bit OT, but I knew a mom whose DH wanted her to homeschool their 4 kids.  She wanted to study to become a midwife.  Another friend (also a homeschooling mom) advised her that if her DH wants the kids to be homeschooled, he can do it himself.