Menu

Sewing machine recommendations

People who do a lot if sewing could you please recommend a sewing machine for Dd20. She is heavily into craft and just started patchwork. She also makes clothes etc. She wants to buy a very good quality machine that will last her for many many years. She is willing to spend  up to $1000AU

She currently has a Bernina that is an ex highschool machine, and is about 40 years old

I have two machines. A Pfaff - which brand I will not purchase again as I've had several problems with having to regularly reseat the bobbin holder. Annoying.

Within the past 2-3 years, I purchased used Baby Lock from a lady who was no longer sewing. We've used this machine a lot and I really like it. Fairly basic machine - the Melody. 

• Like 1

Berninas are good machines. I'd give my eyeteeth to have a 40 year old one. The old machines can sew through anything and keep on ticking. If she wants to upgrade, I'd watch FB Marketplace. I've seen some great deals there on expensive machines. If she want's to quilt, look for one with a large throat to help wrangle the quilt through as she is quilting it. But if you want just a good, basic machine I've heard a lot of good things about the EverSewn Sparrow 30. I don't own one but it's probably the most recommended one I've seen on the quilting forums I visit. Supposedly, it has a lot of the same features as the more expensive machines but for less. Other good brands are Janome (I do have one of these as well as my Bernina and I love it) and Brother.

ETA: Right now it's hard to get your hands on a lower range priced sewing machine. They sold like crazy as people started making their own masks and stores are having a difficult time getting them back in stock. I heard an employee at my quilt store tell a customer that she wouldn't be able to get her hands on anything under a $1000 until, at least, August.

Edited by stephanier.1765
  • Like 2

Not sure she can get better than a 40 year old Bernina! Truly.  

I sew a lot.  My middle of the line Viking I got in 96 new for my wedding went out about 5 years ago. Just broke (too much plastic!!!!!). It had been a terrible machine before that and had had 3-4 $100-150 repairs on it over the years.  

After talking to some friends I decided on a vintage singer.  I got it for $125 off Craigslist. It is a 401a.  It is the most AMAZING machine. I ♥️♥️♥️♥️ it.  

All metal parts and gears.  A total workhouse.  I had a little problem with it a few months ago and was able to repair it *myself*.  

Newer machine with plastic parts and computers are just not worth it.  But I don't need fancy stitches or any of the supposed bells and whistles (honestly most sewers don't either)

If I were her I would spend the money on an embroidery machine because those are cool and could add a lot to her crafting. And keep the Bernina for general sewing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

ETA: Right now it's hard to get your hands on a lower range priced sewing machine. They sold like crazy as people started making their own masks and stores are having a difficult time getting them back in stock. I heard an employee at my quilt store tell a customer that she wouldn't be able to get her hands on anything under a $1000 until, at least, August.

I clicked on this thread to say this.  My dd works at a large chain craft store and they haven’t been able to get any sewing machines in for quite a while.  

• Like 1

I love my Husqvarna as well.  I have a Viking Emerald which is a lower end model, bare bones.  If I had up to $1000 I would get the same brand but a model with more features.  I recommend going to a local sewing store.  Definitely avoid new Singer models. 

Just out of curiosity, does she just want something new just because or is she having a problem with the Bernina?  The older machines are often much better than the newer ones these days. 

• Like 4

I love my 1992 Pfaff Mechanical. 
I'd keep an eye on FB marketplace, or other local venue.
Sewing machines can be like exercise equipment--some people have seldom-used machines in their basement that they're willing to sell.
Maybe word-of-mouth?

I'm also wanting to add that Youtube is a great place to learn how to clean, oil, adjust tension, & do minor servicing to your own specific machine.
She may find ways to improve the performance of her Bernina (which is one of the highest quality brands & my dd loved inheriting her grandma's).

For example, I bought a $10 new bobbin case, after years of messing with thread tension.
It gave my machine new life!

ETA= With all of the innovations & computer software, I would just assume that no computerized sewing machine will last for "years and years" as the technology changes very rapidly.

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

People who do a lot if sewing could you please recommend a sewing machine for Dd20. She is heavily into craft and just started patchwork. She also makes clothes etc. She wants to buy a very good quality machine that will last her for many many years. She is willing to spend  up to $1000AU

She currently has a Bernina that is an ex highschool machine, and is about 40 years old

She’s owns gold. Feel free to ship it to me. 😉

I have a low-mid end Elna that is very faithful. Bernina is the gold standard, even old ones. Elna would be my second pick. 

• Like 3

This one is over her budget but worth saving up for IMO. Mine was significantly less because it had been the floor model/demonstration machine. This Juki has also been around for a while, so maybe she could fine one used.

Straight stitch only. It stitches as nicely as my Bernina, is very sturdy, and very fast - a real workhorse that I expect to last for a very long time. I like the foot thread cutter too as it really speeds up production. 

I love my Bernina, but for heavy duty canvas or leather or sewing through multiple heavy layers, the Juki wins.

I’ve read that the Brother 1500 is a very similar machine and I think it is less expensive. She should absolutely take some different machines for test drives to see what she likes before purchasing.
https://www.productreview.com.au/listings/juki-tl2010q

https://www.hswoz.com.au/product/juki-tl-2010q-portable-sewing-quilting-machine/

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

Thank you so so much everyone I have sent all your advice to my dd

Sorry for the late thanks, my grandmother just died and I am helping my mum do the funeral plans. A covid restriction funeral just sucks. Awful having to tell relatives they cannot bring spouses, or that they cannot even come due to number restrictions or being out of the state and borders are closed. and so so hoping that the suburb of Melbourne she is in doesn't go into full lockdown between today  and the end if the week, otherwise it will reduce the numbers to 10

• Sad 5