Menu

car seat rec?

Scarlett

4 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yes that one looks good.  My 'baby' is 20 years old so excuse my ignorance, but do the infant seats still snap into a base so you can take the entire seat out easily for newborns?

Yes, there are infant seats that have bases (you can get multiple for multiple vehicles) and snap in and out. If I had it to do over, I'd skip the infant seat and just wrap instead, though. The infant seat is so heavy and unweildy (at least for me, back and neck issues) and doesn't last that long anyway.

I had the seat linked above (the version of it available 6 years ago) and it was a very good seat and value.

The kind that is posted above is not the kind you snap into place. That's a convertible car seat. I would not buy that for her if you think you want the carrier sort. Plus car seats have a 6 year expiration date these days...so try to buy the latest manufacture date you can.

Try using this as a resource. Then you can narrow down your choices based on the price point. 

https://csftl.org/recommended-seats/

Edited by calbear

8 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I would concur with this recommendation.  I appear to be unable to link things on this forum, but thecarcrashdetective.com is my go to spot for car seat recommendations.  This seat was not available when my youngest was born and I did all my research, but the recommendation I just pulled up shows it has all the qualities I was looking for in a seat.  50 lb rear facing weight capacity, high height limit rear facing (I have tall skinny kids), and a 10 year expiration date so you can comfortably use it again for any later children.  His downsides are that it is fairly wide so it would be hard to put three across in a vehicle and he thought a premie would need a dedicated infant seat because he thought it was too hard to adjust down at the 4lb weight.  I had to forward face my older 3 at age 2 because they exceeded the seat height, but I was able to rear face my fourth child until four years old even though he started out at 10lb, 7oz.  I had a Clek Fllo (I probably didn’t exactly tell my husband the price), but the qualities above were very important to me and it was one of two options available.  The last few years have greatly improved the options the allow longer time rear facing.  I am a bit of a car seat nut and rear facing as long as possible is so important.

5 minutes ago, calbear said:

The kind that is posted above is not the kind you snap into place. That's a convertible car seat. I would not buy that for her if you think you want the carrier sort. Plus car seats have a 6 year expiration date these days...so try to buy the latest manufacture date you can.

Try using this as a resource. Then you can narrow down your choices based on the price point. 

https://csftl.org/recommended-seats/

Ok, so just so I understand, the link above which looks like a great one, is a convertible car seat and does not have the snap in infant seat option?  So I need an infant seat for that option?

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Just saw your last post...yes, if you want to get a snap in bucket type you would need a different seat style. The family would then need a second car seat fairly soon.

Awwwww......:(  Now I am sad.  LOL

That was my favorite feature.

I used a infant carrier for a few months, but honestly they are even heavier (Albeit safer for it) now than they were previously.  My back was done pretty quickly.  If you want to give one of those then we can give recommendations for those.  My decision would be based partly on her finances...infant carriers are handy, but a convertible will be necessary by 4 or 5 months and will last your friend for several years.  She can get both, but she can’t get by with just an infant carrier longer term.  I do wish I knew about my woven wrap earlier in my child raising years, that was so great once I learned how to use it (thanks YouTube!).  I carried that last load of a kid until he was 3 or 4 in my storchenweige wrap....but that is a different discussion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Awwwww......:(  Now I am sad.  LOL

That was my favorite feature.

As I said some of my concern is about how much the new mom can afford, but it is also about what makes you happy as a gift giver 😉I am a practical person, but that doesn’t always have to be a deciding feature.  I will say most people buy their infant carriers in conjunction with their stroller since usually it snaps out of the car and into the stroller.  Does she have a stroller picked?

5 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

I used a infant carrier for a few months, but honestly they are even heavier (Albeit safer for it) now than they were previously.  My back was done pretty quickly.  If you want to give one of those then we can give recommendations for those.  My decision would be based partly on her finances...infant carriers are handy, but a convertible will be necessary by 4 or 5 months and will last your friend for several years.  She can get both, but she can’t get by with just an infant carrier longer term.  I do wish I knew about my woven wrap earlier in my child raising years, that was so great once I learned how to use it (thanks YouTube!).  I carried that last load of a kid until he was 3 or 4 in my storchenweige wrap....but that is a different discussion.

Wait, what is a woven wrap?

Yes, the bucket seats only last for...well, it depends on the baby! I know kids who have fit into it until past a year. But, at that point, they are generally awkward to carry, even if the kid still technically fits it. I certainly stop carrying my kids in it, unless asleep, by 6ish months, I'd say. Actually, I am pretty likely to just babywear, even if baby was asleep. (The exception is going to church...but that's a moot point currently.) 

So, if you want an infant bucket seat, I'd recommend something that isn't heavy. There are some that advertise going up to a high weight limit, but again, that makes it hard to carry! I won't lie...my first consideration, assuming fitting one in the car isn't as issue (like 3 car seats across), is price. Especially when it comes to the short infant car seat stage.

I'll just be going to Walmart or Target and getting whatever infant seat is cheapest for the kid joining our family this fall. 

Are you close enough to the mom-to-be to know or ask around what she’s “into”? Sometimes these decisions are taken VERY seriously.

I skipped the buckets for my summer babies (except the first) because the convertibles are just plain safer on many fronts, to me.  But I did get one for my winter baby so I didn’t have to freeze him to buckle in and then wrap him up.

Edited by Carrie12345

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Wait, what is a woven wrap?

It is a really long piece of often double weave fabric.  Sort of like a Moby wrap, but not stretchy.  The lack of stretch allows for the support needed to carry all size kids from newborn to toddler.  I preferred the tie that allowed me to have it already on when I went shopping and slip the baby in and out when I got to my destination.  It has come in handy when the baby woke up in his carrier and the back of Costco and started screaming bloody murder to get out.  At age 2 1/2 I carried my youngest through the Mammoth Cave tour up and down all the steps and tight places in that same wrap with my hands free and him asleep on my chest.

wrapyourbaby.com was the lady whose videos I used to figure it all out.  I actually bought my wrap after baby two after watching a mom from Germany at one of my daughter’s classes use it.  I could kick myself for not learning to use it better early on and I never became confident with a back wrap, but I was so sad when baby four outgrew it that I seriously thought of having another kid so I could keep using it.  I decided to save it in case my daughter ever has kids.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

I have always done a bucket and love it.  But I always had the mini stroller to stick it in or on caboose baby splurged on a doona that has wheels built in.  Carrying those buckets is really bad for your back.

And mama is a little petite thing.  😞

9 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Are you close enough to the mom-to-be to know or ask around what she’s “into”? Sometimes these decisions are taken VERY seriously.

I skipped the buckets for my summer babies (except the first) because the convertibles are just plain safer on many fronts, to me.  But I did get one for my winter baby so I didn’t have to freeze him to buckle in and then wrap him up.

Well, we are trying to do a surprise for her.  She doesn't know about it but the husband does and according to him they have no preference on car seats.  And she is a very low maintenance, non demanding type person. Young.  But very sweet. 

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The click bucket seat only works for a period of months...up to babies of a certain length and weight. For us, we needed a new seat by 6-8months for all of my children, even the preemie! 

Whereas we had one with a higher weight limit that lasted to 14 or 15 months. (and could have gone longer but we chose to move to a convertible at that point because the infant seat was being left in the car anyway)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 2

I got an Evenflo Litemax for this last baby. It's an infant bucket that goes to 35lb and it's one of the lighter seats on the market if she is tiny. I've been pleased, but I have small babies and don't have trouble with them growing out of infant seats too soon.

Still, I like the stroller frame it can clip into so I dont have to lug it absolutely everywhere. But I definitely like having the bucket to snap in and out of the base.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Any car seat sold in the US meets the same safety standards. Period. While one might perform better in any given test, that info. (to my knowledge) is not given out, in order to prevent "this is the safest!" mentality. (Which, let's face it, would depend on exactly the situation it's needed in.) So please don't go around telling people "this/these seats are safer."

FWIW, I am willing to consider reputable sources that show otherwise. 

• Like 1

I prefer the bucket seat, I think they fit better those first few months.  The bucket can be handy in Drs offices, the library, places you are just going in for a minute.  I am smaller and I dont really like getting the bucket in and out of my big suburban,  so once baby is bigger I just use a sling.  The newer ones last much longer!  My newest baby was in hers until 1yrs, which I thought was great!  The ones from years ago were outgrown by 6-8 months.  If I could only get 1 seat, a convertible would work, especially considering they probably wont be going many places due to Covid.  The convertible will last much longer, too!  My 2 year old should fit in hers until I'm ready to move her to a booster!  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

I prefer the bucket seat, I think they fit better those first few months.  The bucket can be handy in Drs offices, the library, places you are just going in for a minute.  I am smaller and I dont really like getting the bucket in and out of my big suburban,  so once baby is bigger I just use a sling.  The newer ones last much longer!  My newest baby was in hers until 1yrs, which I thought was great!  The ones from years ago were outgrown by 6-8 months.  If I could only get 1 seat, a convertible would work, especially considering they probably wont be going many places due to Covid.  The convertible will last much longer, too!  My 2 year old should fit in hers until I'm ready to move her to a booster!  

I agree Covid is a consideration. 

8 hours ago, barnwife said:

Any car seat sold in the US meets the same safety standards. Period. While one might perform better in any given test, that info. (to my knowledge) is not given out, in order to prevent "this is the safest!" mentality. (Which, let's face it, would depend on exactly the situation it's needed in.) So please don't go around telling people "this/these seats are safer."

I threw in a “to me” to try to keep it short and sweet.  Human error is a constant thing. Taking a seat in and out constantly leaves tons of room for human error. And then there’s the tragedies that have stemmed from people letting babies sleep in buckets. And then, when you scrape the barrel, there are the falls of of shopping carts, etc.
”Permanently” installed seats reduce human error.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, barnwife said:

I think what you have to consider is that there are minimum standards in the United States...all must meet them, but some exceed them...just like with most things in life.  Some countries have higher standards and some manufacturers try to come closer to those standards. I don’t know of any seats that don’t meet the US minimums, but here are a few considerations 

1.  If I had to pick between a Navigator and a smart car to be sitting in during a crash, I would pick the Navigator every single time.  Both meet standards to be sold in the United States, but physics says size matters when two objects collide.  That is ultimately what car seats are for, collisions.  The Clek seat I purchased had a steel substructure, it was heavy, but it had significantly less plastic and was very sturdy.  One feature I liked that I didn’t find on any other seat sold in the US  (Britax now appears to have it now) is an anti-rebound bar for use rear facing.  If you have ever tried and struggled with installing a seat rear facing especially with a LATCH connection, there is often an issue with the top of the seat popping up since the only connection is down at the bottom.  The anti-rebound bar makes a huge difference in the stability of the seat installation.  It helps with side impact protection.  It helps with getting the proper angle rear facing on the seat. 

2.  Some seats are easier to install than others and not every seat is going to fit well in every car.  I always recommend every one find a certified car seat installer to show you how to get it properly installed in your specific vehicle.  Common things people miss are not adjusting the shoulder straps as the child grows and using the LATCH connectors too long (they have a weight limit and heavier seats and longer seat usage means eventually you will need a seat belt install).  Ease of adjustment on the straps is something to look at, particularly if you don’t want to have to remove the seat to adjust the strap height.

3.  Most important to me was the desire to rear face my kids as long as possible.  I know it is harder, kids like to see, their legs are long, etc, etc, but I have never been one to rush the switch to forward facing or the switch to a booster or to a seat belt.  It is so much safer to be rear facing because in a collision (even side impact you are moving forward) the child is pushed into the seat instead of into the straps or the seat belt.  I only made it to about 2 years with my older kids because all the seats were too short.  I have tall skinny kids (I am 5’9” and my husband is 6’5”) and many would still be too short for my kids.  The Clek seat I mentioned is designed for extended rear facing (up to 43”&50lbs) and I was able to keep my son rear facing until about three months before his fourth birthday.  My husband humored me and I did cave and allow him to sit forward facing on a trip we took to Arizona to visit my MIL three months before his birthday.  He could have gone a bit longer, but he was very close to the height limit so I called it good.  Just walking into a store and buying the cheapest seat there would not have accomplished my goals.

The seat I bought was expensive and I am glad to see some other models are coming along to provide some choices at lower price points.  The Graco seat suggested looks pretty good for the price especially if the mom is petite and they don’t expect bean pole children like I have (my 14yo is 6’2” and wears 28x36 jeans).  I would say all of the seats on the market now if properly installed are safer than the ones I bought 17 years ago for my oldest.  

Just my 2 cents...

I really appreciated the bucket seat during a Canadian winter.  It was lovely to be able to install baby in the room-temperature seat, tuck the blankets around, and then go outside to the car.  Buckets are pretty much universal here for that reason, I think.

Edited by wathe