Menu

Paging Dr. Hive--grated finger

Carol in Cal.

Sigh.

I was using a coarse microplane grater last night to grate some hard cheese, and my hand slipped and I grated a chunk of skin off my right forefinger, up by the top knuckle but over a bit to the side of the joint.  

Being a coarse grater, this is a fairly big wound--definately through all the layers of skin, about a 1/4-3/8 inch round hole.  When this first happened I saw white at the bottom of the hole, and then of course it was bleeding profusely and copiously and I could only see it when I was holding it under cold running water.  I don't know what the white is--bone?  Fat?  Muscle?  It's creepy, though.  I applied pressure for a few minutes and the bleeding did not stop.  So I ended up rinsing it under cold running water again, for a while, and then quickly wrapping an antibacterial bandaid tightly around it.  After about an hour I got concerned that this was too tight as the tip of my finger was completely purple and fairly numb, so I loosened it, and of course it then bled some more, but not as much as before.  I left it like that until bedtime (about 4-5 hours later) and then took the bandaid off, put on some Neosporin on, and put on a fresh antibiotic bandaid.  

Is this sufficient for a deepish wound or do I need to be seen in case of an infection?

Normally I would not worry so much, but I know someone who had a small puncture wound on a finger than ended up starting an infection that collected in the hollows of his hand where it was not easily detected.  He almost lost his hand.  I hope that since this is an open wound, flat though deep, and since it bled so much, that I'm fine treating it as I have been so far.  The skin is GONE, so stitches are not really an option but I guess a skin graft would be.  Ugh.

Please advise!

• Sad 1

Do you have a general practitioner/local clinic that you can call and ask?  What I would tell them is that you're okay with treating at home and putting off any further treatment for now, if they feel it's safe and can tell you exactly what to do.  

I've found the medical community to be extraordinary helpful in advising people how to safely take care of things at home.  My dh will be having surgery in the next week or two, and the surgeon has already told us that she'll teach us how to do the after-surgery procedure at home -- which they've never done it before (I mean, the patient doing it himself at home) but are doing it now, if we're feeling brave enough.  🙂  (We plan to do that.)

It sounds really painful!  And yes, you are right to be concerned about an infection.  I've learned to not take them lightly. 

I grate my fingers all the time, so much that we say that "blood is the secret ingredient" every time I make potato pancakes. I strongly doubt you managed to grate all the way to the bone. Usually this needs no more special treatment than any other cut - a little neosporin, change the band-aid every day or whenever it gets wet.

But that's personal experience talking, not medical expertise. If you're in doubt, take a picture of the wound and call your doctor for advice. They'll probably tell you the same thing I just did, but if your injury really is more serious than I expect it is then they can advise you.

Edit: I had skipped ahead and didn't realize you personally know somebody who had a small cut become a big infection. that's frightening, and no wonder you're extra worried! It's still really not very likely to become infected in your case, but I can understand why you're more cautious about this. Definitely call the doctor and ask their advice, just to set your mind at ease.

Edited by Tanaqui

I've cut my fingers cooking more times than I care to remember (seriously.... why don't I learn?!), and I've always put a TON of antibiotic ointment on the wound, basically making a thick layer so that nothing can get through, and then bandage it up really well. It's always really nerve wracking though. Good luck! Telemedicine is great for things like this, and they could put your mind at ease.

Ugh, I grated my finger last week, trying to grate around the knobbly part of a Jerusalem Artichoke. I washed it out really well, then did the neosporin/bandaid thing. It bled a lot and reopened overnight the first night, but is healing well now. I agree with the telemedicine option if you have it - it might be helpful! Feel better soon!!

I've grated my fingers several times - and my wrist once (don't ask). Wash, Neosporin/favorite antibiotic ointment, bandage, keep clean. Watch for infection. One time I could not get it to stop bleeding, so my dh went to Walgreens/CVS and found some bandages with a blood stopping goop on the pad. That finally stopped the bleeding (not strong but continual). I now have a couple of dents/white areas/regular tenderness where I removed so much skin.  

I'm sorry that happened. I know it is painful. I hope you heal quickly. 

I have a weird medical situation.  I have insurance but I don't have a doctor.  The only way I could do telemedicine is with a stranger, and I don't know how to get them to take me.  Maybe I will call my insurance company to see what to do.

So far so good on no signs of infection, but the gaping hole is not really closing at all. It looks kind of like a canker sore, only on my finger.  Unique in my experience!

I've done this too many times to count, and once with a mandolin (which convinced me to get one of those metallic mesh gloves).  Barring any infection, keep on: keep dry, change the bandage, use neosporin.  I also suggest taking extra Vitamin C which promotes healing (if you are not already with C-19 looming).

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

So far so good on no signs of infection, but the gaping hole is not really closing at all. It looks kind of like a canker sore, only on my finger.  Unique in my experience!

Speaking from my vast finger-grating experience, that's normal. Just keep it bandaged.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vmsurbat1 said:

I've done this too many times to count, and once with a mandolin (which convinced me to get one of those metallic mesh gloves).  Barring any infection, keep on: keep dry, change the bandage, use neosporin.  I also suggest taking extra Vitamin C which promotes healing (if you are not already with C-19 looming).

#decidingnottogetamandolin 

#notworthit

#willwashmyfoodprocessorwithahappyheartandintactfingers

• Like 1

I have a weird medical situation.  I have insurance but I don't have a doctor.  The only way I could do telemedicine is with a stranger, and I don't know how to get them to take me.  Maybe I will call my insurance company to see what to do.

Yes my dds appointment was with a total stranger doctor. Her pcp was closed and they said maybe go to urgent care and so I went to the insurance company website and followed instructions online. 

My son took a small chunk out of a finger while playing on a folding chair.  We could see something white down there like your injury.  Took him to urgent care, thinking it needed stitches.  The doc said that he could stitch it, but was afraid at his age (7 or 8 yo), it would be more traumatic to stitch it.  He told us to keep neosporine and a bandage on it for 2 full weeks, changing it every day.  We followed his directions and it healed up nicely.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

#decidingnottogetamandolin 

#notworthit

#willwashmyfoodprocessorwithahappyheartandintactfingers

Not trying to convince you otherwise, but I love ❤️ my mandolin.  The glove takes care of all my fears. 🙂  Last grating injury was with a vegetable peeler.... Sigh.