Menu

Who’s going to tackle Monday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

I have an unexpected Monday off! The facility we use is having major plumbing issues, so our little homeschool enrichment classes are all cancelled today. Got the alert roughly 2 minutes before getting in my car to head out there, thankfully! I have emailed and texted all of my parents to let them know (parents of my students), the directors have emailed the full roster of everyone, and each other teacher is busy alerting his/her classes, but.....I have a free Monday!!!

So, I know I need to:
....email out the homework for the week
....post the homework on the website
....call and get a therapist appt for DS19 who is struggling
....run laundry, dishes, and feed people lunch

Other than that......I could do anything I want! This also means I'm half prepped for next week as well; some of the "to do" can't easily be sent home and started so will carry over. 

I'm going to do the must-dos (relatively easy), then probably watch a little TV waiting on boys to wake up (my sewing machine/music is loud up there, so I don't like to sew while they're asleep), and then sew. All day long. I finally finished the little squares for the quilt, and need to figure out how to do the diamond blocks with some level of accuracy. Instead of procrastinating b/c I'm afraid to, I need to just cut some scraps and try several methods until I find the best way, and then start; that's the last step before putting this quilt top together, and I would really like to have it done this month. (ambitious? yes. feasible? also yes). 

Dinner is already in the crock pot (roast w/carrots and potatoes), we had already cancelled DS22's therapy/group stuff for today b/c of difficulties in being 10 places at once (and he's still asleep, so I'm not going to wake him to go in), and I can actually do anything.at.all. today. Guilt free. What a gift!

• Like 9

Good Morning🌺

Coffee and yogurt

Go for walk

Take apart my electric fireplace and see if I can get a new heating element 

Do a couple of errands

Oldest daughter is coming over to pick up a few things, maybe do coffee

Workout at gym with DH

Make dinner

Relax

• Like 7

It's Family Day in our province, so kind of like a second Saturday to get work done around the house. The best thing is that there are no activities for the dc, so lots of time to potentially be productive. 😉

- coffee, breakie DONE

- painting trim 1st coat DONE

- caulking

- ski in woods

- painting 2nd coat DONE

- more decluttering of closet

- remove wallpaper DONE

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

No school today,but dd2 went to am practice anyway. ds3 does have school to do today ( tournaments wreck the schedule), so it is a pretty regular day here. PT follow- up for ds3 later, no tennis this afternoon.

• coffee/read
  • laundry (started)
  • chores- I was lazy yesterday
  • school for ds3
  • dd2 has electronic chores to do
  • need gas and dog food
  • hobby lobby?
  • PT appointment
  • leftover for dinner, I think

Have a great day!

• Like 6

Good morning!

It's been switching back and forth between snow and freezing rain all morning, and is supposed to change over to regular old rain for awhile this afternoon. I hope we don't end up with an icy mess on our hands.

• tidy up main floor
  • dig through my equine medicine cabinet in search of ointment for Lightfoot's inflamed eye
  • vet checkup for Mac at 2:00 - hoping he handles it okay - he is old, blind, and does not like changes to his everyday routine. His former life with a hoarder and then being transported cross country has left him with a pretty hefty dose of canine PTSD, so he needs lots of extra love and reassurance on days like this.
  • get some office work done if I have time
  • clean my bathroom - shower needs a good scrub
  • dinner: I am finally going to make the paprikash recipe that has been on my list for the past few weeks
  • watch the second night of the American Rescue Dog Show
  • Like 6

Sent the emails out to the parents with worksheets attached. 
Updated the homework page of our website with all of the info as well. 
Called and got the appointment for DS19, who this morning says maybe he's fine and doesn't need the appt after all; he and I agreed, make the appt, if the time for it rolls around and he feels he doesn't need it, we will cancel. 

Going to have a 2nd cup of coffee, some more breakfast, watch one episode of Project Runway, and then head up to start laundry and sew. Two of the three boys are up, so hopefully by then the 3rd will be also (his room is nearest the sewing area, so....). (but, he's the one staying home from therapy today, so I'm glad I didn't wake him; sleep is a healing force, too, so letting him get what he needs).

• Like 6

1 hour ago, TheReader said:

Sent the emails out to the parents with worksheets attached. 
Updated the homework page of our website with all of the info as well. 
Called and got the appointment for DS19, who this morning says maybe he's fine and doesn't need the appt after all; he and I agreed, make the appt, if the time for it rolls around and he feels he doesn't need it, we will cancel. 

Going to have a 2nd cup of coffee, some more breakfast, watch one episode of Project Runway, and then head up to start laundry and sew. Two of the three boys are up, so hopefully by then the 3rd will be also (his room is nearest the sewing area, so....). (but, he's the one staying home from therapy today, so I'm glad I didn't wake him; sleep is a healing force, too, so letting him get what he needs).

Good luck for the appointment! 

• Like 6

Morning, all!  No school today due to holiday...it's a beautiful day outside, as well.  

To do:

• coffee, play with puppy
  • air house out (that puppy smell)
  • Start roast in crock pot
  • make a bag of donations to drop at Goodwill
  • Target to return a face cream...I opened it up last night to use it and it was filled with liquid hand soap.  
  • Staples for some miscellaneous items
  • place some online orders
  • grade, lesson plan, maybe at Starbucks
  • vacuum
  • laundry
  • get my water intake and steps in
  • read, relax

Have a great day!

Edited by readinmom
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, leahtalbot96 said:

Good luck for the appointment! 

Thank you; it's set for 2 weeks from now as things aren't urgent (thank God) and that will give him/us time to assess whether yes, keep the appt, or no, it's okay not to. :sigh: 

DH and I are both feeling a little bit of "can the hits please stop coming???" at the moment, but.....at least this DS is talking to us/being open/asking for help. 

And, the other DS is right now taking the dogs for a walk, has been chatty/conversational, and I can see that this treatment is really starting to work with him/for him. So that is really good. 

• Like 6

Ate my leisurely breakfast.
Watched an episode of Project Runway.
Edited an email/report for DH.
Spoke with a neighbor on her way out of town; she dropped off their will for safe keeping, just in case, as she & her dh are leaving the kids home. They named me the back-up executor if something should happen to both of them. Eek. 
Stopped the kitten from (possibly) bringing in a (dead, at least) mouse. 

Printing the templates/cutting measurements for the remaining quilt block, and heading to the sewing room to get that figured out. 

• Like 6

Well, I did sew enough to figure out the best method for this block, and it actually turns out accurately when I do it that way. Realized the bad geometry of why my other ideas weren't working (I am so geometrically challenged; thankful for computer programs that figure out quilt math for me....). It will be a more time consuming method, and tilts all my carefully cut "words on fabric" middles of diamonds into diagonal/tilted middles (oops) (I had carefully cut some to be vertical, some horizontal.....here's hoping they at least end up pleasantly tilted, as there is no more of that fabric at all.....). Ha. The test blocks, also using a "words on fabric" fabric, look cute in the tilted manner, so I think it will be okay. 

However, discovered I don't have the fabric for a small few of the other blocks, so am going to play with the program and see if I can redesign to use fabrics I do have, or need to go buy more. Going to eat my lunch, watch another PR, and work on that, then will (rather than fabric shop today, which I'd like to do...) start working on the main blocks which don't need the missing fabric. (unless I figure out a diff. design). 

But first, food/design/project runway. 

DS is back from walking the dogs and reports the dog did good, and the other did good in the yard (he took one dog out on a walk,then yard play time for the other one, who is not a great leash walker and lately has been snappy....). So that's good. 

The kids found food as well 🙂 

• Like 7

I was up late last night again. I blame my afternoon nap and the caffeine that I drank to wake myself up, but the reality is that I might have been awake at 1:30 am even without the nap, the way things have been going. I need to make sleep hygiene a priority. Sigh. While I was not sleeping, I wrote out a long, long important email, then spent a long time revising it to make it shorter (but it's still really long).  Spent more time finalizing it and running it by DH this morning before sending it.

No school today, so we all slept in at least a little bit. DH got up with the dog, earlier than everyone else. DD14 stayed over with a friend, and it took us a little while to figure out when we needed to get her. We needed to know that before we headed off for our late morning errand, which involved a 30 minute drive to a tile store.  We picked out some tile for our backsplash and brought home a few pieces to hold up in our kitchen to see what we think. DH and I ate on the way back home, and Chick-fil-A was so busy that we waited 20 minutes for our food. DD18 works there, but not until tonight, and I warned her that she might get called in early.

Finally made it back home around 2:45. Took the dog out. Then DH left to go back to the mall area to pick up DD14 and her friends from the mall at 3:30. He has the tile in the back of the van, so I can't check to see how it looks in the house until he gets back.

Ate some Valentine's Day candy.

Thinking about what we might have for supper, because the beef I have on my menu plan is still in the freezer. Don't think we want beef popsicles, so I will need to think of something else. I am not feeling inspired.

It's 4:00 and I should get busy and do something else. Plenty of things that really need to happen around the house. But I'd rather take a nap. Trying to avoid that, but I'm getting sleepier and sleepier. The dog is setting a poor example by napping beside me.

• Like 7

Figured out a redesign of the quilt, which I like a lot better (as does DS). Then discovered I do, in fact, have the pieces for the original plan (yay)....but I really do like the new design better so will stick with it instead. I'm glad I couldn't find the pieces earlier, that's how much better I like the redesign, so....should be fun. 

Started some laundry (about time to go swap it around and start more); had difficulty evaluating some laundry in a basket in the hallway.....I can't tell if it was dirty clothes DH carried up and left in the hall, or stuff from the dryer (I don't think so...) that he took out and set in the hall. The sniff test wasn't particularly clear, so I decided better safe than sorry, rewash everything. Just in case. 

Brought the fabric pieces downstairs to cut (the accurate method means using a template to cut each piece), this way I can cut and watch Project Runway at the same time. I'm a little over half done with the main pieces, then still have to do the sides. 

The kitty who did not get to bring in a mouse earlier, did bring in a (dead) lizard later on. :sigh: 

Also sleepy, but trying not to be tired. 

• Like 7

Howdy.  Happy Prez Day!  A little extra time before my clients start upping my work stress.

I am a bit under the weather today, but hopefully not too much.

Done:

• Wrote a check for the electrician who was supposed to pick it up between 9am and 10am (he never came).
  • Kid2 to horse riding.
  • Kid1 to open gym.
  • Kid2 back home.
  • Kid1 back home.
  • Told kids to do their homework / music practice.
  • A little reading.
  • Practiced my TKD forms.
  • Caught up on emails, news, social media, calendar.
  • A very small amount of work.

To do:

• Nap?
  • Lots of client work.
  • My daily exercise routine.
  • Make sure the kids finish homework & shower.  Would hope to do some AHG also but probably won't.
  • Kid2 to clarinet lesson.
  • Some laundry - at least kids' gym clothes load.
  • Whatever else gets done.
  • Like 7

Finished King Lear- really good. ds3 liked it, but said that it "killed the vibe of the day." Which was a little true, I guess.

More school with ds3

Chatted with dd2, helped her finish off the tasks for the NCAA clearinghouse, and gave her my input on bikini shopping. 

Next up: clean up kitchen, do a couple of chores, and leave for PT

• Like 6

Finished cutting the main pieces. 

Swapped laundry from washer to dryer and put 2nd load in the wash (plus folded some from the dryer....did I say that already?)

Cut somewhere around a third to a half of the side pieces for the remaining blocks. 

Ate a snack, and poured some more coffee. :yawn: 

Going to keep cutting (and watching more PR) until DH gets home....he's on the way, so I won't likely finish the episode but that's okay. 

• Like 5

After a blizzard this morning and early afternoon, we've now been getting several hours of cold, pouring rain. No fun at all. Dd and I just got in from chores and are soaked.

On the plus side, I spent all afternoon in the office and got a lot of work done.

The puppies don't mind this weather at all. They keep going out to play, coming in looking like drowned rats (well, super cute rats), and then like fifteen minutes later, they're perfectly dry and fluffy again. I wish my hair behaved so well...

Next up: Change into dry clothes & make dinner.

• Like 5