Menu

Summer/cruise wardrobe

TABmom

Dh and I are going on a Caribbean cruise in a few weeks and I need clothes! I rarely buy clothes because I hate shopping. Really, really hate it. Can anyone point me in a direction to start looking? we're not doing formal night. I want casual. My usual attire in the summer is jean shorts or yoga capris with graphic tees. I'm so not into fashion or clothes at all. We're doing several "active" things in port- cave tubing, hike Mayan ruin kind of things. So, where should I start looking? Or what should I start looking for?

I brought a ton of shorts and didn’t wear a single pair! Not once! When we were in port we were at the beach and I wore a swim suit with cover up, and on the ship I was mostly indoors (air conditioning=cold=no shorts). Ymmv, but that was my biggest surprise with my wardrobe. I’m kind of cold natured and unless I was specifically hanging out in the sun by the pool, I was cool on board. Your yoga pants and a T-shirt or sleeveless top would be perfectly fine on board for basically every activity I can think of. If you’re eating in the formal dining room, I’d take simple sun dresses for that, or flowy-type pants and a nice shirt. For your port stuff, you’ll just want whatever is comfortable for those activities (hiking shoes, sun protection, etc). Definitely take sunscreen and hats!!!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TABmom said:

we're not doing formal night.

You don't have to be very formal to go to formal night. Well maybe on some cruise lines. I'm cruising Carnival, doing a lot of the things you're doing, and on Carnival for a week cruise I saw *one* tux and the rest either bling or a suit or down from there. I wore a blouse with a scarf. And do what you want, but you should know that first elegant/formal night will be the best food of the cruise (lobster, etc.) and it's the night the photographers come around the tables to take pictures. So my favorite pictures from the trip were from that night. And eating at the buffet for dinner stinks and is boring. If you aren't going to go to the MDR=main dining room that night, then go to one of the specialty restaurants. Many of them will allow more casual.

36 minutes ago, TABmom said:

jean shorts or yoga capris with graphic tees.

Just so you know, that would be underdressed any night in the main dining room. Just saying. Like maybe go buy yourself some pretty things for the trip? What do you wear if you go to Olive Garden? Whatever that is, sort of "smart casual" as they call it or business casual, that's what is appropriate for the main dining room. 

37 minutes ago, TABmom said:

I'm so not into fashion or clothes at all.

Me either. I have 4 pairs of solid capris, all the same style from the same store (they fit, I bought all the colors) and tshirts that fit nicely in every color from Lands End. And starting right now, you can go into any store (JCPenny, whatever) and find tops that are perfect for cruising, things that are short or 3/4 sleeve, cute. They go with my boring, basic, solid color capris, so I switch from a tee (daytime) to a pretty blouse (I bought two, same style, different prints, rotated them), and you're good. 

Denim will be uncomfortable on the trip. Do you have a swimsuit coverup? I mean, you don't really wear clothes a lot during the day, lol. Even a lot of excursions you might find yourself wearing a swimsuit and coverup instead. I'm taking a rash guard this time as well.

The Mayan ruins thing are AMAZING. If you do them in Belize with the riverboat ride, well let's say it's "unBeliezable" haha. 

17 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I brought a ton of shorts and didn’t wear a single pair!

Yup. I like the water slides, so if on the ship I was always either in a hot tub, sunbathing, or doing the water slides. I wore workout clothes in the morning, and the view from the gym is amazing. Went to the buffet in workout clothes to grab breakfast, feed ds. After that, swim wear and cover up till dinner. How did I eat lunch?? LOL 

18 minutes ago, mmasc said:

If you’re eating in the formal dining room, I’d take simple sun dresses for that, or flowy-type pants and a nice shirt.

Bingo. And the cruise line will have what they suggest or what their policy is. Carnival doesn't give you any ugly looks, but still it's nice to be appropriate. My suggestion would be to funnel who you are into something you can feel comfortable wearing. It's a real chance to be together, share a lovely meal, enjoy the service, enjoy the view. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, TABmom said:

I rarely buy clothes because I hate shopping.

Sorry, missed that. JCPenny has cruise appropriate things this time of year. You just walk in and they'll be obvious because they're so spritely in the midst of snow and gloom, lol.

For bling, I bought mine online from Macy's. Everything is on clearance from Christmas. Not very expensive, easy peasy. I wanted something 3/4 sleeve or short sleeve, not long, because I run hot. I'm taking two tops that go with a pair of black pants. I'll wear them with my black Tevas.

For cover-up, I scored at Target. Got compliments on it on the cruise, which totally blew my mind, lol.

For swim wear, Lands End is the bomb. Lots of styles, even with cup sizes, shorts in all the lengths.

Fwiw, the thing to invest in is your footwear. I just bought two new pairs of Tevas, because I wore a pair almost entirely out in a week last time. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003C81BZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might still have time to shop on amazon. They do free returns now, making it pretty easy. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TABmom said:

Dh and I are going on a Caribbean cruise in a few weeks and I need clothes! I rarely buy clothes because I hate shopping. Really, really hate it. Can anyone point me in a direction to start looking? we're not doing formal night. I want casual. My usual attire in the summer is jean shorts or yoga capris with graphic tees. I'm so not into fashion or clothes at all. We're doing several "active" things in port- cave tubing, hike Mayan ruin kind of things. So, where should I start looking? Or what should I start looking for?

We're doing the Southern Caribbean in a few weeks. Can't wait! I'm thinking dressy casual for the evenings/dinner (we're doing specialty dining at least 3 nights). During the day, it'll depend on the port. For some excursions, swim suit and cover up. For others, casual skirt/shorts & tees or sundresses.

• Like 1

For dinners, buy a couple of pairs of khaki, navy, or black capri pants (whatever you like that goes with the shirts you pick). Two would be enough, if you don't mind alternating them each night. A decent pair of sandals instead of sports sandals. Buy one pair of long black pants.

You will want a sweater or light jacket (jeans style jacket , not a windbreaker-- though not blue denim, white is nice)  for the evenings and even perhaps during the day, unless you are a person who is always hot. The AC is cold, and on deck sometimes the breeze is stiff and chill. You can wear the same sweater more than once by pairing it with a different pair of pants.

If you want to be a real minimalist about it, buy one sweater in a neutral color that suits you (black, blue, white) and one jacket. Then alternate which nights you wear them, with a different shirt underneath.

Here is an example:

Night 1 -- tan capri pants, white t-shirt, white jeans jacket

Night 2 -- black capri pants, nice black tank top, black sweater, plus a necklace or scarf

Night 2 -- black capri pants again, peasant style blouse in a color or pattern that you like, and use the white jacket if you are cold.

Formal night -- black long pants, nicer shirt or blouse in a color that you like. Or wear the black sweater and black tank again with a nice necklace.

Night 4 -- tan capri pants, colorful tank top, white jeans jacket

Night 5 -- repeat night 1

Night 6 -- repeat night 2

If your ship has a rule that you must have long pants in the dining room, just wear the long black pants every night and vary what you wear on top. No one will notice.

For the sweater, it will look much more dressy but still feel casual, if you buy one that is not a crew neck button up style. Choose one that is an open drapey, shawl style cardigan. Very easy to find at a department store like Macy's or Penneys, or go to someplace like TJ Maxx or even Target.

I think you can find everything you need at Target. Nothing needs to be expensive.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I really love that dress!!! There is a Columbia outlet near me, I th I I'll check them out too!

• Like 1

Well, if you’re going to Columbia then I’ll throw out my most favorite-est ever capris. Seriously, these are amazing. Cool, sun protection, not wrinkly, quick dry, long enough for when cold, short enough when hot. FWIW, I wear mine with a cute sleeveless top and sandals. Nothing sporty for me. 😊

https://www.columbia.com/womens-saturday-trail-ii-knee-pant-AL8672.html?dwvar_AL8672_variationSize=6&dwvar_AL8672_variationColor=419&dwvar_AL8672_variationDimension=18&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIrZ7Ek4yC5wIVDNvACh2zxAOvEAQYAiABEgJOqvD_BwE:G:s&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!300760166761!!!g!523810293010!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrZ7Ek4yC5wIVDNvACh2zxAOvEAQYAiABEgJOqvD_BwE

i think this is super cute for a cruise too, and it could easily be worn to the MDR for dinner. Inexpensive too!

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=504529012&pcid=999#pdp-page-content

Edited by mmasc
Another link
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, mmasc said:

Well, if you’re going to Columbia then I’ll throw out my most favorite-est ever capris. Seriously, these are amazing. Cool, sun protection, not wrinkly, quick dry, long enough for when cold, short enough when hot. FWIW, I wear mine with a cute sleeveless top and sandals. Nothing sporty for me. 😊

https://www.columbia.com/womens-saturday-trail-ii-knee-pant-AL8672.html?dwvar_AL8672_variationSize=6&dwvar_AL8672_variationColor=419&dwvar_AL8672_variationDimension=18&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIrZ7Ek4yC5wIVDNvACh2zxAOvEAQYAiABEgJOqvD_BwE:G:s&mid=paidsearch&eid=Google+PLA+US&s_kwcid=AL!3937!3!300760166761!!!g!523810293010!&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrZ7Ek4yC5wIVDNvACh2zxAOvEAQYAiABEgJOqvD_BwE

I have these capris as well - very comfy, have some stretch to them, not wrinkly!  Love them!

• Like 2

Formal wear can (should) feel casual and comfortable. I’m not much into clothes shopping either but if an event called for it, a long flowy skirt paired with a sweatshirt-like top or t-shirt could be both chic and casual feeling. Sharon Stone dresses this way at times. Back when I went to formals, I bought two long, flowy skirts for a dime each at Goodwill and just paired them with a semi fitted, nicer sweatshirt. It was cheap, comfy and I got a lot of compliments—so was acceptable attire, too. Why miss lobster night?!!

Whatever you do, have fun and bon voyage!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TABmom said:

You guys make it sound so easy! I'll probably hit the mall next week, I hope it's as easy as it sounds. 

We're going on the Royal Caribbean.

I’m not super into clothes shopping, but I did actually find shopping a bit for my cruise fun. Just buy what you like, maybe in a fun color/print, or whatever you’re comfortable in. I got a few things I wouldn’t normally wear just bc it seemed cruise-y and fun (like a fedora type sun hat and one of those jumpsuits I linked above) I also found my ‘formal’ dress (which was really just a cute cocktail type dress) at a thrift shop. 

3 hours ago, TABmom said:

You guys make it sound so easy! I'll probably hit the mall next week, I hope it's as easy as it sounds. 

We're going on the Royal Caribbean.

Here's some info specific to RC, and it's very recent. Have fun shopping! You can definitely do this and make it look like you and be comfortable. Fwiw, don't let her comments on what *she* wears intimidate you. Maybe just listen to the first 3 minutes, lol. 

Edited by PeterPan

I bought a bunch of dresses from JCPenney when I went with my dh to Hawaii. I wasn't a dress person, but I am now! They are light, airy and easy to walk in. Grab one thing from the suitcase, and look all put together! I got so many compliments from the staff at the hotel. It was wonderful! Branch out and buy a couple sundresses. You can easily wear them with comfortable sandals.