Menu

Book a Week 2020 - BW1: Happy New Year - Our Journey Continues

Robin M

I wanted to kick off my time travel 10x10 category by rereading a favorite from when time travel romances were my absolute favorite genre.....the 1980’s and 90’s.  In recent years I have found /purchased a few of my old favorites and reread them but haven’t replaced A Knight in Shining Armor by Jude Devereux and happily discovered one at the library so that is what I read today ummmmm pretty much all day.   https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/73385.A_Knight_in_Shining_Armor This copy was reworked and updated from my old 80’s copy in 2001 which apparently resulted in 50 more pages but it was really good.  A modern vacationing American falls out with her fiancé and wishes for a knight in shining armor while standing by a knights tomb in Devon and one appears.........the knight has been wronged in his timeline and doesn’t know by whom.....eventually she travels back in time.  Very star crossed and romantic, good stuff.😉 Now I feel ready to tackle some of my modern time travel choices!

• Like 3

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed the Audible January free book called “Interview with the Robot”.  Meant for kids, and thus probably okay for listening to in mixed age groups.  I found it very very well performed, and a pretty good story (though a couple parts didn’t hang together, maybe).   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Robin M said:

Glad you are feeling better.  I've never read anything by McManus.

Just so you know, not only does McManus have the Bo series, but he wrote a number of very humorous books based on his love of the outdoors (eg. They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?".  Here is a short but interesting article about him: Brief Intro to Pat McManus from one of his former (and now successful) writing students.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whew, finally finished Rebel Queen. It  picked up at the end so I would give it 2 stars instead of 1 only bc it did give some history. Otherwise, it was a stupid Cinderella story.   This is why I stayed away from historical fiction my entire adult life - it's always so fluffed up with love stories, "poor but beautiful and smart and the best-at-everything heroine".  Oh well, moving on.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, vmsurbat1 said:

Just so you know, not only does McManus have the Bo series, but he wrote a number of very humorous books based on his love of the outdoors (eg. They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?".  Here is a short but interesting article about him: Brief Intro to Pat McManus from one of his former (and now successful) writing students.

Great article! Thank you! 

12 hours ago, SereneHome said:

Whew, finally finished Rebel Queen. It  picked up at the end so I would give it 2 stars instead of 1 only bc it did give some history. Otherwise, it was a stupid Cinderella story.   This is why I stayed away from historical fiction my entire adult life - it's always so fluffed up with love stories, "poor but beautiful and smart and the best-at-everything heroine".  Oh well, moving on.

I didn't like historical fiction until a few years ago when I discovered some well written ones, so I'm quite picky about what I read.  If you like ancient times and don't mind war,  Ben Kane's Forgotten Legion series, set in 1st century Rome kept me reading through the night.  If you like reading about biblical times, Brock and Bodie Thoene's Ad Chronicles are excellent.  Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale, set in France 1939 is awesome.  Robyn Cadwallader's The Anchoress, set in England during the 1200's will hit every emotion. Sharon Kay Penman's 13th century Welsh Trilogy I soaked them up. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's  Half of a Yellow Sun taught me alot about African politics and culture.  No fluffed up love stories in the bunch. 🙂

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pen said:

I recall reading a lot as a kid, but don’t recall having had a “favorite” book. 

I also read a lot as a kid - can't pick one favorite book.  

Favorite series were The Happy Hollisters, The Narnia Chronicles, and the Little House books.  

Some individual books I remember especially loving were The Witch Family by Eleanor Estes, The Secret Language by Ursula Nordstrom, and The Changeling by Zilpha Keatley Snyder.  Oh, and I looved Pippi Longstocking.

• Like 3

On 1/10/2020 at 10:29 AM, aggieamy said:

Ooh. That looks interesting!

You must be close to me. I'm Kansas City area. I've stocked up on hot chocolate. I still have to run to the library. I'm sure it'll be a zoo with everyone desperate to get reading material before the storm ... or maybe not. Maybe it's just my family that panics we're going to RUN OUT OF BOOKS!

lol -- you are not alone. My abibliophobia [fear of running out of things to read] kicks in when I'm flying somewhere -- even if just going away for 3 days, I always fear that 5 books is not going to be enough to get me through the 3-4 hour flight each way... 😂

• Like 6

Favorite Books growing up.........

I was pretty obsessed by checking the Boxcar Children and a Helen Keller biography out of the library in 2nd grade.  I basically had one or the other constantly.

I read a whole lot......I loved Little Women, Nancy Drew, Trixie Beldon, Cherry Ames, Pippi Longstocking, the Black Stallion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Great article! Thank you! 

I didn't like historical fiction until a few years ago when I discovered some well written ones, so I'm quite picky about what I read.  If you like ancient times and don't mind war,  Ben Kane's Forgotten Legion series, set in 1st century Rome kept me reading through the night.  If you like reading about biblical times, Brock and Bodie Thoene's Ad Chronicles are excellent.  Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale, set in France 1939 is awesome.  Robyn Cadwallader's The Anchoress, set in England during the 1200's will hit every emotion. Sharon Kay Penman's 13th century Welsh Trilogy I soaked them up. Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's  Half of a Yellow Sun taught me alot about African politics and culture.  No fluffed up love stories in the bunch. 🙂

Thank you so much for recommendations.

I did quite well with historical fiction last year and learned  A LOT about Korea.  I do own The Nightingale so might start with that one.  Reading from the shelves this year!! 🙂

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Right now, I'm perusing the The ZORA Canon - The 100 greatest books ever written by African American women and will be adding a few to my want list.  Plus reading about Ada Lovelace (Thank you Dr Who).

Kwei Qwerty has a new series set in Ghana

Question of the day:

What was your favorite book growing up?

Carlson by Astrid Lindgren.  I don't think it was a popular in US as it was in my country. 

Interestingly enough, I bought it in English for my kids to read but actually didn't like English translation as much.

• Like 4

I have stalked these threads on and off for years, and I've resolved to participate this year. I haven't come up with a solid plan yet, but I'm currently rereading Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen with Just Mercy and The Goldfinch on my nightstand waiting for when I finish that. Technically, I am also in the middle of reading Les Miserables as well. I stopped that one about six months ago after the first act. 😂  I might listen to the musical (again) for inspiration and forge ahead with that. 

A Little Princess was my favorite childhood book. I read it over and over again. Any of the Ramona books were favorites as well.

• Like 8

On 1/7/2020 at 6:47 PM, Kareni said:

I wasn't overly impressed with The Sharing Knife but found Shards of Honor a pleasant read. I've picked up several more books in that latter series to read at some point. I've heard excellent reviews of The Curse of Chalion.

Of her work, I enjoyed Once a Hero and, to a lesser extent, Cold Welcome.

I read a good review recently of her Christmas stories and have a library copy here at home. All previous attempts at reading To Say Nothing of the Dog have failed

Just wanted to say although I have greatly enjoyed most Lois McMaster Bujold SciFi books, I LOVED the The Curse of Chalion and it's sequel Paladin of Souls.  Also LOVE her Penric series in the same universe.   

For Connie Willis, I have found much more hit or miss, although I did actually love To Say Nothing of the Dog (which led me to read the classic Three Men in a Boat which I also loved).   Bellwether is another of my favorites, but I have found many of her books VERY hard to get started (Doomsday Book I'm looking at you multiple times! and Passage I completely gave up on) 

• Like 2

Robin,

Meant to tell you this in my last post and forgot....

I must admit I downloaded the bingo sheets for myself and older DD last year and then, well.... forgot all about it ….

until today when older DD (who let me remind you is dyslexic) and I had a whole long conversation about how she didn't enjoy reading because it was too much work...  at the end of which she tacks on "by the way, where did you put my book bingo for 2020?"  

2 Bingo sheets are now downloaded and printed 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Favorite childhood books -- as an avid re-reader I don't think most of my favorites at the time survived adolescence and so were lost in the Pit of Lost Memories.  I do have a number of books that managed to make it through re-reading as adolescent and adult--  tops are probably:  The Secret Garden and Swallows and Amazons (I must admit this 2nd one did not survive a "read aloud" to my kids-- it is much more enjoyable when I can skim over all the many sailing descriptions)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

The Secret Language by Ursula Nordstrom, and The Changeling by Zilpha Keatley Snyder...

Those were favorites of my sister, along with The Red Velvet Room, and Below The Root (both also by Zilpha Keatley Snyder). 😄 

Some of my childhood favorites were the Edward Eager magic series (esp. Half Magic, Magic By the Lake, Knight's Castle, and The Time Garden) and the Ruth Manning Sanders/Robin Jacques fairy tale collections (The Book of Dragons, The Book of Wizards, The Book of Dwarfs... etc.).

When we were quite young, my sister and I were both big Nancy Drew fan girls.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Robin M said:

Right now, I'm perusing the The ZORA Canon - The 100 greatest books ever written by African American women and will be adding a few to my want list.  Plus reading about Ada Lovelace (Thank you Dr Who).

Kwei Qwerty has a new series set in Ghana

Question of the day:

What was your favorite book growing up?

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

12 hours ago, Alte Veste Academy said:

I have stalked these threads on and off for years, and I've resolved to participate this year. I haven't come up with a solid plan yet, but I'm currently rereading Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen with Just Mercy and The Goldfinch on my nightstand waiting for when I finish that. Technically, I am also in the middle of reading Les Miserables as well. I stopped that one about six months ago after the first act. 😂  I might listen to the musical (again) for inspiration and forge ahead with that. 

A Little Princess was my favorite childhood book. I read it over and over again. Any of the Ramona books were favorites as well.

I think we are in the same place.  I just finished Fantine and I'm about to start reading Cosette.  I am enjoying the book -- I've never read it before -- but it is beastly long.  I wish it were sold in separate books (instead of one volume) to make it feel more manageable.

• Like 4