Menu

Beginners Yoga - what do I wear?

Just Kate

I am starting a beginners yoga class next week and I’m not sure what to wear. I asked the instructor and she said comfortable clothing. I honestly don’t have a lot of workout clothes and I’d like to buy a few things. I am around 155 lbs and a size 10-12. Do you have any suggestions for me? Links would be great. And not super $$ would be great too! 

T-shirt (tuck into your pants), sweat pants/leggings/yoga pants, little towel for your head when laying on the mat, yoga "socks" if you don't want to go barefoot. You need to be able to grip the mat. If you are borrowing a mat, then you may feel better avoiding going barefoot to prevent spread of foot things (e.g., fungus).

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

1) Comfortable for you underwear— that won’t chafe or squeeze painfully...   I’d probably avoid underwire in bra and would use a 100percent cotton bottom   I probably would not get special yoga socks initially.  

2) I’d wear a comfortable cotton T shirt, with crew neck, possibly short sleeve with an extra long sleeve T shirt available for if I felt cold.  

3) any soft shorts, long pants, or sweats with stretchy waist and easy to move in that you like (even old very worn so cloth has gotten soft, baggy jeans with a non constricting waist could be okay to start).  

Or ~$30 an Adidas or similar type running pant. adidas Women's T10 Pants, Black/White, L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0119E5KSM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UNodEbCT3FND2

Or an Akido type pant. You may already have something that will work without purchasing anything.  

Or if you want yoga pants then these are reasonable price and have been decent quality: ~$18 TSLA Yoga Pants Leggings Mid-Waist/High-Waist Tummy Control w Side/Hidden Pocket Series, Aerisupport Pocket(fgp54) - Black, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SZ6PGD1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WCodEbR4XJCW8. (Or a couple $ less if model without pocket, since stuff in pocket probably not good for yoga anyway)

Edited by Pen

I find stretchy, higher waisted pants + a snug, longer shirt to be best for me. That way I don't have plumber butt in any forward bending positions. Also, you may want to check the neckline to gauge if your cleavage exposure matches your comfort level. Other than those considerations: comfy. Sometimes more fitted helps the instructor see if you are in a pose incorrectly or in an unsafe way. 

Edited by alisoncooks

My big advice is to bend over and check the neckline of whatever shirt you wear. And wear a bra that keeps the girls in check if you are ample sized. My first time in yoga I about suffocated myself in my own cleavage while in downward dog, lol. And another time nearly flashed a group class before realizing the neckline was more open than I realized. 

But leggings/yoga pants from wlamart would be fine, plus a top that you are comfortable in. Laying something over a sports bra is my suggestion. 

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Oh, Walmart carries a lot of Danskin and other yoga clothes that are super economical and great far starting out with (heck even continuing in). Echo Old Navy but watch for sales because not all their stuff is inexpensive. 

OP here. Old navy is having a great sale today so I may order a few things. I will link to get your opinions. 

I'd go with cheap yoga pants with a roll up/down waist, a long fitted T, and a sports bra in case the T falls up anyway.  If it's just a weekly class, I'd just wear this one outfit until I decide what I really want.  Have you tried shopping your own closet first?  Do you own any stretchy pants that are long or capri length or even bike shorts? As long as you're not so baggy that the instructor can't see your body it's all good.

2 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'd go with cheap yoga pants with a roll up/down waist, a long fitted T, and a sports bra in case the T falls up anyway.  If it's just a weekly class, I'd just wear this one outfit until I decide what I really want.  Have you tried shopping your own closet first?  Do you own any stretchy pants that are long or capri length or even bike shorts? As long as you're not so baggy that the instructor can't see your body it's all good.

I do have some Capri length leggings. I’d like to get a few new t-shirts though. 

Yes, class is once a week for six weeks. I’m really excited!

13 minutes ago, Just Kate said:

Old Navy is have a 20% off everything (even sale price), so I picked these items out. I ha ent ordered yet. What do you think?

High Waisted Leggings

Yoga Leggings

V Neck Tee

I’m not sure they’ll be better than the Tsla ones I linked above and are basically same price for without pocket model.  But if they appeal more, go for it!

I don’t know what the T is made of.  It’s a good price if material is good.  I like this sort of thing:

econscious Women's Classic Washed Tee, Charcoal, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0032Z80PM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_w0rdEbXF3T8WT

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Just Kate said:

Old Navy is have a 20% off everything (even sale price), so I picked these items out. I ha ent ordered yet. What do you think?

High Waisted Leggings

Yoga Leggings

V Neck Tee

The yoga leggings are very nice. I have a few pairs of those.

The mid rise wide leg yoga pants and the high waisted slim cut boot yoga pants are very comfortable and don’t side down when working out.  They also seem to just hit right so no plumbers backside issues.

Edited by itsheresomewhere