Menu

One semester US Government....again

I have asked this before but am still struggling to find something that will work for us.  I am hoping there is something new out there or someone has an idea I have not yet explored.

DD (11th grade) needs to fulfill a 1/2 credit of US Government this spring that meets the following:

1.  Secular (this is non-negotiable).

2.  Online or open-and-go curriculum.  As in not a collection of resources I need to cobble together to make a complete program.  A good text with a study guide would also work.  

3.  One semester, offered in spring or asynchronous (if online).  Thinkwell is off the table because it is a full year course and dd does not have a lot of bandwidth to try to double time it.  FundaFunda is out because it is offered in fall only.

• Like 1

I think U.S. Government is always a one semester course in High School?  My DD took that when she was a student in Texas Tech University High School. I remember taking that when I was in High School. The man who taught that course loved the subject and it made attending his course very enjoyable. Good luck finding something that works for you!

2 hours ago, cbollin said:

Modernstates.org has one. My middle daughter used it with her clep prep.  https://modernstates.org/course/american-government/

This is very interesting.  I can only see so much without an account but maybe you could answer my questions.

It seems like a low number of hours.....24 the page says.  Is that just direct lecture time or all "effort" which would put it well below what would be required for a 1/2 credit.

Is there any assessment?  Assignments, tests, etc....?

Outside reading or text of any kind?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, CAJinBE said:

Clonlara has a one semester government class that is just fine to fulfill that requirement. It is asynchronous, very doable, yet still adequate.

It appears students must be unrolled in their full program to take a course.  Or rather, I cannot see an option to just register for a single course.  Am I missing something?  Thanks!

15 hours ago, TarynB said:

Have you checked with FundaFunda to see if they will offer it in spring? We have found all the instructors we've had there to be very accommodating. It seems perfect for your needs otherwise.

I didn't think of asking.  It can't hurt, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lanny said:

I think U.S. Government is always a one semester course in High School?  My DD took that when she was a student in Texas Tech University High School. I remember taking that when I was in High School. The man who taught that course loved the subject and it made attending his course very enjoyable. Good luck finding something that works for you!

It is not always a one semester class.  If it were, I'd have more options:)

Check OnlineG3. (The teen focus one). My DD is taking their class this fall. Usually you can just watch the webinars later. I don't know if their spring schedule is out yet. She's enjoying it quite a bit. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, skimomma said:

This has promise!  Anyone use this?  

No personal experience with it, but I thought I’d follow up on Thinkwell and just share a little about DD’s personal experience with it FWIW. Following the 36-week lesson plan, it takes DD about 20-25 minutes to watch the lesson and do each day’s exercise. We weren’t planning to accelerate it, but she often doubles up and completes 2 lessons daily in 40-50 minutes. She’s on track to finish it several months early. She loves this style of instruction and has asked for more Thinkwell courses. We’re definitely going to move right into Economics when Government is completed. I know you said you had ruled it out, but just wanted to share our experience. I asked the Hive several times whether it could be done in one semester and never really got a concrete answer. I’m glad we took the leap. Price is right, too!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

This is very interesting.  I can only see so much without an account but maybe you could answer my questions.

It seems like a low number of hours.....24 the page says.  Is that just direct lecture time or all "effort" which would put it well below what would be required for a 1/2 credit.

Is there any assessment?  Assignments, tests, etc....?

Outside reading or text of any kind?

Thanks!

Low number of hours question:   I know it doesn't count the text reading time.  But it's important to remember this in calling a class a semester or year. Counting clock hours is only one way to think about high school credit.  Textbook courses with lecture can still have "credit" even if you have a fast learner who does the whole book in under 180 days at one hour a day. With that said, I think the course is a legit semester of regular high school level course.  For some students it might be thought of as a "block style" or "summer school style" with lots covered in shorter time.  It is not remedial in nature.

Class format:  watch the video summary. Read the textbook (which is included online, one of those open stax things.  about 700 pages total.  specific chapters are assigned with each module). Then there are "homework" problems in each section to check that you read.  Those are multiple choice.  For those who are using Modern States to get the free clep test voucher, you have to pass those homework questions as they are called in the course with a certain average (70% I think) and complete all sections.

There is a "final test" which is designed as a practice clep test without the time pressure.

Text is included in the course and is online. as mentioned, about 700 pages. certain chapters are assigned to match the topics in the module.

You can sign up for free and see more of it.  I know middle gal used it about 2 years after a very basic government course (using a middle school text that is not secular or I'd mention it), and having done US history.  She used modern states to review, learn other stuff, prep for test.  We added test prep and took and passed clep exam and was given college credit for that at her school.  So, I'd be comfortable using the course for regular high school level semester.  I wouldn't worry about clock hours for a textbook based course like this.  You might watch the videos several times.  The videos are just summary.  and I have to log off.  But I can double check the text if there are extra questions and answers for those to make it more of a paper trail course if needed.  but I just saw the time.

• Like 2

skimomma, I did a few minutes to open up the course on modernstates and look again.  The text is from OpenStax.  each chapter in text has review questions (answers to the odd numbers are provided in appendix of the full text), and thinking questions.  17 chapters total. plenty of reading from text.

• Like 1

Clonlara's website says, "Clonlara School’s Online Program provides a comprehensive distance learning option for students who are looking for “ready-to-go” courses. We offer a wide variety of self-paced, teacher-supported online courses for students in grades 6–12, with the added support of Clonlara advisors. Students can enroll full time, for a semester, or for individual courses.

• Like 1

I did Constitutional Literacy from HSLDA for my daughter's senior year. It is a workbook full of great content with DVD lectures that my daughter really enjoyed. We did the book in one semester even though the course if meant for 1 year. It was very doable to adapt it down by adjusting the writing assignments and outside research projects. We needed a 1/2 credit Govt course also because we needed to have the other half of the year to study Economics.

https://store.hslda.org/constitutional-literacy-dvd-p927.aspx?Thread=True

The Bluestocking press books might also be an option for you. These books overlap government and economics concepts

• Like 2

On 10/18/2019 at 8:02 AM, skimomma said:

It appears students must be enrolled in their full program to take a course.  Or rather, I cannot see an option to just register for a single course.  Am I missing something?  Thanks!

I was curious too.  and looked it up.  I don't think you're missing something on that.  That's how I read it too. On the FAQ for online program  on the question "can I just take one course" it says "Yes, it is possible to take just one course. Students who are fully enrolled in one of our Off-Campus Program or Campus School options can take individual courses for an additional fee. Please contact our Enrollment Associate for details about individual course enrollment" (and they give contact info there)

If you and I are reading it the same way, yes you can register for a single course, but you have to be a fully enrolled student and pay registration , high school per student fee, and individual course fee. Probably more than you want to spend for one semester.  

hope you find something that works for you.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 10:45 AM, fourisenough said:

No personal experience with it, but I thought I’d follow up on Thinkwell and just share a little about DD’s personal experience with it FWIW. Following the 36-week lesson plan, it takes DD about 20-25 minutes to watch the lesson and do each day’s exercise. We weren’t planning to accelerate it, but she often doubles up and completes 2 lessons daily in 40-50 minutes. She’s on track to finish it several months early. She loves this style of instruction and has asked for more Thinkwell courses. We’re definitely going to move right into Economics when Government is completed. I know you said you had ruled it out, but just wanted to share our experience. I asked the Hive several times whether it could be done in one semester and never really got a concrete answer. I’m glad we took the leap. Price is right, too!

Was this their regular or AP Gov?

2 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

Was this their regular or AP Gov?

American Government compatible with AP (although I am not planning to have DD take the AP exam). I will have her take the CLEP test, though. I didn’t want to overload her with APs this year and I wasn’t expecting her to like it much at all. Naturally, she seems to love it. The more I think I know my kids, the more they surprise me. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Clonlara offers classes from another vendor. They told me they hope to develop their own content in the future, but at least some of the classes in their catalog are from Apex Learning. So it is possible to through someone else who offers the classes a la carte and this may be the same experience for a lower cost than Clonlara because of needing to enroll as a student and also pay for the course.

Edited by stripe