Menu

Sigh. Want to diagnose me (again)?

Jenny in Florida

Quick background, just in case it matters: I am being treated for breast cancer. I had a bilateral mastectomy 2.5 weeks ago. I was on pain meds for the first 10 days or so, but am now down to just OTC ibuprofen. 

Several days ago, I noticed that my left lower leg was kind of swollen. I mentioned it to my GP, whom I saw last week for follow-up on issues unrelated to the cancer. He looked at it, but didn't seem concerned. On Saturday, I noticed that both legs and feet seemed very swollen. I had trouble putting on my shoes, and my lower legs and ankles looked a lot lumpier than usual in my leggings. On Monday, I went out to meet a friend for lunch and noticed that the jeans that are normally loose on my lower legs were pretty much form fitting.

Yesterday, I saw my medical oncologist, who asked specifically about swelling and seemed kind of concerned when he examined my legs. He sent me immediately for an ultrasound because he was worried about blood clots. They made me wait while the scans were read, then sent me home. The ultrasound tech suggested I elevate my feet as often as possible while sitting, but I haven't heard a peep from the doctor, which I assume means the scans didn't show anything concerning.

I'm going for my second follow-up with the surgeon's assistant today and will mention it to her, too. But I figured it couldn't hurt to consult Dr. Hive, too.

On another front, starting a couple of days ago, I have been getting itchy in various locations all over my body. It seems to travel. I noticed it first on the back of my left hand, then on my upper chest, then my upper thigh, then a lower arm, etc. It lasts only a few minutes in each place, and I sometimes get small, scattered bumps that appear and disappear with the sensation. I have been slathering hydrocortisone cream, but it's hard to tell whether it's actually helping, given the transient nature of the itching. Yesterday, I took an antihistamine, which didn't seem to affect the itching and did make me groggy all day. 

So, what says the Hive? What weird condition(s) do I have now? 

I had edema (water retention) on my feet. I just wear my one size too big boots during that time. That could be the swelling. Definitely elevate your feet when sitting and sleeping.

How is your platelet count? No idea about itch but I got red dots appearing on my skin that was a chemo side effect. I also needed more moisturizer than my usual.

ETA:

While lymphedema typically affects the arm the lymph node removal was done, maybe yours affected your legs instead?

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Have you started any chemo that might cause the rash? Were you on antibiotics post surgery? My mother had a masectomy about a month ago. She got an itchy rash that moved around...kind of like hives but not exactly. We decided it was probably a delayed reaction to antibiotics she had been on. It started after she ended them though. I imagine that could happen with pain meds too. Reactions can begin quite a while after the med is discontinued. The other possibility, we thought, was maybe somehow a systemic reaction to the medical tape. At any rate, she started Zyrtec. It resolved, she said she thinks because of the Zyrtec. 

Legs can swell after surgery. I don't know if that would apply if it just started two weeks later or not. I sometimes get leg swelling just from excess fluid not draining I guess and elevation helps. But if it's new to you I'd want to get to the bottom of it. I hope you get answers today. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

So glad you had a rule out of clots. That was my first fear.

Find some compression hose and put them in first thing in the am and make sure you are up and walking for 15 minutes every hour (and then get your feet elevated when you can).

I have to wear compression gear after any major body trauma like surgery.

Keep an eye out on things. You might want to look into lymphedema and lymphatic massage.

As to the transient itching, does the rash only happen after you scratch/touch it?

• Like 2

Glad blood clots were ruled out.  Put your legs up and relax.  Hopefully the swelling will go down.

fyi,  My mom had lymphedemia in her arm after her first mastectomy and belonged to a support group.  Legs were not uncommon.  Along with the massages people had stockings like support hose.....speciality medical items that helped.   

• Like 2

I had a double about 18 months ago.   I wore compression socks for a good month after my surgery as otherwise I was swollen.   They made my legs feel sooooo much better.    I also made a point of keeping them elevated as much as possible.     Additionally, I had the skin itching.  I think I was on an antihistime  (maybe generic Claritin), for a good 4+ months after surgery otherwise I itched fairly constantly.   Many antihistamines take a couple of days to get up to maximum effectiveness and it helps if you take them every day.  

Interestingly enough I started with the skin itching again within the last week and started back on the antihistamine last night as skin lotion hasn't helped.  

• Like 1

Yup, swelling makes me itchy too. But I'd also want liver lab work checked, as liver issues can cause both swelling and itching. And your body has been through a lot lately, including anesthesia, and pain meds are hard on the liver. So, yeah, liver values ASAP. I'd insist. And while drawing blood for that they can check albumin (the protein that holds fluid in the blood vessels) as well. Are you eating enough protein? You need a lot extra to heal, so if not getting enough your albumin can go low and fluid then leaks out of the blood vessels into the tissues.