Menu

Have any of you used ultrasonic mouse repellers?

Pen

We've used them (Black & Decker model 310), to good effect.  We had mice in our basement up north, and my parents (who'd used them) got us four packs (of three), and we put them all over the house.  They seemed to work, in that we had no more signs of mice for the rest of the time we lived there (at least 3-4 years).  We put them up in our new house, and haven't had any mice problems, even though we are by the woods.  They haven't bothered the dogs at all.

Things my parents noticed: some brands have an audible (to humans) hum.  The Black & Decker ones were the second or third ones they tried.  Even then, one or two of the B&D ones were audible - we either returned them or didn't use them or used them in the garage or some other out-of-the-way place.

• Thanks 1

the trap we found the best - did an amazing job - was the rolling log.  put it on a 5gallon bucket (needs a "ramp" up to the log).  bait with peanut butter.  put a washer on the log so ninja mice have to go over it.  you can add water to the bucket, or not - (even an inch prevents them jumping out.)  we went from hardly catching any with more "conventional" traps in our garage - to 30 in two months. 

didn't set it up over the summer.   dh set it up last week, and three mice the next night.  I blocked a hole dh insisted wasn't a problem and we haven't had anymore.

you can also use a bowl with an inch of peanut oil in the bottom.  they get covered in oil, and can't get out.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

Ran right past ours too.

I recommend Gardenmom5's traps. 

We did see them less when we put peppermint essential oil on cotton balls all over the house in the house that was infested. And they left a shed at a different house when I did that.

• Like 2

We have a farm behind us, which has led to several pest problems, including mice.  We finally hired professionals to deal with them.  The guy who came first used the awful sticky traps, but that didn’t do much.  He came back with rat traps.  He said sometimes that’s what it takes to catch them.  If you need them gone quickly (mine were getting in the kitchen 🤢), rat traps might be worth getting.

• Like 1

We used the really old-fashioned traps that are super sensitive for mice. If you can find a path they are taking in/out or around the edges of room, that helps a lot. 

My parents had an ultrasonic one that could be heard by people. They weren't trying to repel mice but keep bats out. I don't think anything worked except waiting until the bats when out to hunt mosquitoes, and then they blocked up all the holes they could find going to the attic. Then, they got new siding, etc., and I think that helped. 

• Like 1

I just thought of another thing our pest control guy did.  He put a bait box outside by the A/C.  For some reason, that’s often the area they enter from.  Every time he comes for our quarterly service, he checks it and adds more bait if needed.  Pets can’t get to the bait, so it’s safe to use around them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, athena1277 said:

I just thought of another thing our pest control guy did.  He put a bait box outside by the A/C.  For some reason, that’s often the area they enter from.  Every time he comes for our quarterly service, he checks it and adds more bait if needed.  Pets can’t get to the bait, so it’s safe to use around them.  

What is a bait box? 

3 hours ago, athena1277 said:

Wildlife, birds, and pets can still be sickened if they eat a mouse who ate the "bait" (poison). It causes a slow death by internal bleeding, so mice can wander for up to five days or so after ingesting it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Katy said:

Ran right past ours too.

I recommend Gardenmom5's traps. 

We did see them less when we put peppermint essential oil on cotton balls all over the house in the house that was infested. And they left a shed at a different house when I did that.

the peppermint oil is similar to what the mechanic suggested to put in the engine area of the car.  ds had a really bad mouse infestation in his air filter?  the amount of insulation they had taken from other parts of the car was significant.  ds actually saw a mouse run across his hood while he was driving down the freeway!  after the mechanics cleaned it up,  (do not buy a Nissan.  dd had mice in her Toyota - same problem, cost 1/2 as much as the Nissan because of their design), they were skeptical they'd been able to actually get the mice out.  they did't see them, but they were skeptical they were gone.

we brought it in the garage - and put the rolling log/bucket with peanut butter for bait next to his car.  by this time, we were hardly seeing any.  three mice the next morning.  I'm assuming they did come from his car.  I will now be bringing in outside parked cars for a couple nights at a time, just so any mice who decided to use it as a warm spot - will hopefully be caught before they do significant damage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

the peppermint oil is similar to what the mechanic suggested to put in the engine area of the car.  ds had a really bad mouse infestation in his air filter?  the amount of insulation they had taken from other parts of the car was significant.  ds actually saw a mouse run across his hood while he was driving down the freeway!  after the mechanics cleaned it up,  (do not buy a Nissan.  dd had mice in her Toyota - same problem, cost 1/2 as much as the Nissan because of their design), they were skeptical they'd been able to actually get the mice out.  they did't see them, but they were skeptical they were gone.

we brought it in the garage - and put the rolling log/bucket with peanut butter for bait next to his car.  by this time, we were hardly seeing any.  three mice the next morning.  I'm assuming they did come from his car.  I will now be bringing in outside parked cars for a couple nights at a time, just so any mice who decided to use it as a warm spot - will hopefully be caught before they do significant damage.

PAWMATE Rolling Mouse Trap, Live Catch and Release Bucket Spin Roller With A Ring For Mice Rats Rodents. Humane. Auto Reset. Safe for Children and Pets. Works Outdoors and Indoors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078GC624P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MFCNDb6CFJKE1

I ordered this which is around $10. 

But I see a  “rolling log” that is specifically called that at around $20.    Is the more expensive one what is working for you ???

I have very intelligent mice, it seems.  Nothing seems to catch more than one once.  And I think they’ve trained the cats to ignore them.  

18 hours ago, forty-two said:

We've used them (Black & Decker model 310), to good effect.  We had mice in our basement up north, and my parents (who'd used them) got us four packs (of three), and we put them all over the house.  They seemed to work, in that we had no more signs of mice for the rest of the time we lived there (at least 3-4 years).  We put them up in our new house, and haven't had any mice problems, even though we are by the woods.  They haven't bothered the dogs at all.

Things my parents noticed: some brands have an audible (to humans) hum.  The Black & Decker ones were the second or third ones they tried.  Even then, one or two of the B&D ones were audible - we either returned them or didn't use them or used them in the garage or some other out-of-the-way place.

Can’t seem to find this exact type available.  

I’m going to try a set of another brand even though most on here report failure.

And a rolling mouse trap type gizmo.  

2 hours ago, Pen said:

PAWMATE Rolling Mouse Trap, Live Catch and Release Bucket Spin Roller With A Ring For Mice Rats Rodents. Humane. Auto Reset. Safe for Children and Pets. Works Outdoors and Indoors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078GC624P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MFCNDb6CFJKE1

I ordered this which is around $10. 

But I see a  “rolling log” that is specifically called that at around $20.    Is the more expensive one what is working for you ???

I have very intelligent mice, it seems.  Nothing seems to catch more than one once.  And I think they’ve trained the cats to ignore them.  

the difference I see is one is textured, and one is not.  I would think textured would hold peanut butter better - and be more friendly to mice running on it so they'll get farther.   Otherwise, they're basically the same thing.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

the difference I see is one is textured, and one is not.  I would think textured would hold peanut butter better - and be more friendly to mice running on it so they'll get farther.   Otherwise, they're basically the same thing.

I ordered one of each  🤞🏼  —   And 2 buckets.  

One can go basement where main trouble is, , one garage or kitchen.  

Any advice on best set up appreciated.  

I’m assuming I can use a drill to put holes in buckets for the “logs” to go into and some piece of wood or cardboard or something as ramp.  

I have Peanut butter available— though it’s done no good at all  in snap trap .  Nor have granola bar chunks...

should I get other stuff like chocolate chips?   I ran out so they haven’t been recently exposed to that 

Sugar water?  (Read that rats prefer sugar water to coc

18 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Nutella works so much better than peanut butter.  

you must have picky mice.   

there's a guy by the name of shawn woods who has posted many a video.  he has a barn, and another area.   he set the came up in the area with outdoor access.   squirrels. .. . they freak and jump out of the bucket.  the opossum just stands there licking all the peanut butter off the trap.

rats - are a whole nother topic,  they're very smart, and very cautious.  they don't move forward unless they have a good foothold and feel secure.  

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Pen said:

I ordered one of each  🤞🏼  —   And 2 buckets.  

One can go basement where main trouble is, , one garage or kitchen.  

Any advice on best set up appreciated.  

I’m assuming I can use a drill to put holes in buckets for the “logs” to go into and some piece of wood or cardboard or something as ramp.  

I have Peanut butter available— though it’s done no good at all  in snap trap .  Nor have granola bar chunks...

should I get other stuff like chocolate chips?   I ran out so they haven’t been recently exposed to that 

Sugar water?  (Read that rats prefer sugar water to coc

you can do a bowl with some peanut oil in the kitchen.  the bowl doesn't have to be more than a few inches tall.  they get covered in oil, and can't jump or climb out.

yes, drill holes for the ends of the logs.  dh used a 2 x 4 (angled at the ends) as a "ramp" and screwed it into the bucket as well to prevent it from falling over.  but anything that will work as a ramp (and isn't slick) will do.  cardboard is slick - unless you can do something to make it more rough so they can climb. -  scoring it so there are grips going up?

before getting more creative on the bait, try the peanut butter on the log.  it's cheap.  Nutella was suggested, spray cheese (it will stick)?  do your mice like chocolate chips?  (they'd stick to the peanut butter.)  

shawn woods would also use in the shell sunflower seeds (they'll stick to peanut butter too.)

• Thanks 1

@gardenmom5

Roller logs on buckets in basement and garage and peanut oil in bowl in kitchen sounds good.  

Im shortly about to go find/buy regular groceries plus demouse  supplies.  

Can it be a disposable bowl with peanut oil?  

I would not want to use a good kitchen bowl deliberately for catching mice.    It would be nice to be able to catch and throw away.  

But paper might not be big or sturdy enough? 

I’ll look for things that I could use...  maybe something used for homeschooling art projects that’s still around...

————-

Ive been finding empty hazel nut shells suggesting they are able to go out to filbert trees and bring food home to the nice warm and dry house

I’m looking for their enter/exit points ...  some time back I plugged spaces around pipes and other things with steel wool but have found places it’s missing, or new cracks or dislodged knot holes etc.  

they are small mice so it’s probably impossible to totally block them but it could be better than it is. 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

@gardenmom5

Roller logs on buckets in basement and garage and peanut oil in bowl in kitchen sounds good.  

Im shortly about to go find/buy regular groceries plus demouse  supplies.  

Can it be a disposable bowl with peanut oil?  

I would not want to use a good kitchen bowl deliberately for catching mice.    It would be nice to be able to catch and throw away.  

But paper might not be big or sturdy enough? 

I’ll look for things that I could use...  maybe something used for homeschooling art projects that’s still around...

————-

Ive been finding empty hazel nut shells suggesting they are able to go out to filbert trees and bring food home to the nice warm and dry house

I’m looking for their enter/exit points ...  some time back I plugged spaces around pipes and other things with steel wool but have found places it’s missing, or new cracks or dislodged knot holes etc.  

they are small mice so it’s probably impossible to totally block them but it could be better than it is. 

as for disposable - the depth is what is most important.  more like a mixing bowl size, not cereal bowl.  I know party places sell plastic bowls like that.

eta: for holes - spray foam.  it can be a pain to use to get it to go through the tube - but it will expand significantly as it dries and fill any nook and cranny.  generally does a much better job than steel wool.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check Dollar Tree for cheap bowls. If you get something disposable, it might be too lightweight and it could tip over when a mouse falls into it. You could also try Goodwill. That way, you won’t mind tossing the bowls when you’re done with them.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2