Menu

Acupuncture - good / no results / maybe?

Liz CA

I am sitting longer at work now that I am in the office all day and the hips are unhappy.

I am already doing chiro, massage and walk daily but recently a friends suggested (again) acupuncture. I am not super freaked out about needles but the thought does not exactly cause me to feel peaceful and / or optimistic. Obviously friend had good results. Is it very individual or more issue dependent? What can I expect to pay? What credentials should I be looking for in an acupuncturist? What else do I need to know?

Edited by Liz CA

I haven't had much personal experience with acupuncture, but my mother in law has.  She has weird reactions to a lot of medications, so when she needed dental surgery (full on SURGERY), she went to the acupuncturist, who numbed the area, then drove to the dentist who did it with absolutely no anesthetic.  She's done similar things several times, because acupuncture works extremely well for her, and most non general anesthetics do....not.  Her acupuncturist is actually a medical doctor who got interested in holistic health and went to acupuncture school and got a degree in it and traditional Chinese medicine.  She offers her patients a pretty eclectic approach to health, but she's a fascinating, brilliant woman.  Have had a few meals with her.  

• Like 1

I believe in accupuncture.  DD tried two that did very different styles of needlework.  She went for multiple sessions (I think 10 or so?). She also had cupping done by one, and cupping done by her massage therapist.   It all amplified her pain and only made her worse. 😞  They were well regarded and experienced, it just isn't the right treatment for  her.

What works best for her, is very deep tissue massage.  No relaxing massage, truely deep tissue.  She also benefits from PT (targeted core work) and yoga (only cerrtain strength building moves, not the ones that have the body hyperflex). 

I have hip issues and what helps me is PT or stretching. 

• Like 1

I have had very good success with it for vertigo and for an intractable knee injury.  It didn’t help with my PF, but I think that the particular provider I used for that was questionable.  I don’t think I have ever tried it for my former hip bursitis, so I can’t say that it necessarily fixes that.   I know of people who have used it successfully for infertility.  

I think that there are a lot of people out there doing this, some better than other, and that the best way to find a good practitioner is to ask for specific referrals with success stories from people you know.  Also, check the scope and range of work that the person claims.  The lady who cured my knee really focused on fertility issues, and because of that was quite good at those specific areas of work.  Whereas the lady who cured my vertigo twice is very focused on stress relief issues, and is excellent at those areas of work.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

I have the hip soreness issue after a long day at the desk. A few things are really helpful - yoga/yoga-like stretching (Egoscue’s Pain Free routine), walking, and foam rolling. 

I get the most immediate relief from foam rolling - hamstring, glutes, quads, piriformis. Yoga/Pain Free is great for realigning the body. Walking is essential, staying active helps prevent muscle tension buildup. 

The only experience I have with acupuncture is a friend who swore by it for seasonal allergies. 

Sounds like we have similar issues. I am an avid foam roller as well - to the point where I have a mini roller hidden in one of the bathrooms at work 🤣 and it does often provide instant relief. Some days, however, are worse than others.

My first experience with acupuncture was for peri-menopausal symptoms.  The acupuncturist was also an MD on my health insurance plan and it was dirt cheap.  $20/visit.  I felt improvement after 2 visits but continued for 6 visits.  It was amazing how my symptoms disappeared.  Then, repeated a few years later.  Eventually, this doctor went off my insurance.  😥

My next foray into acupuncture was for glaucoma.  There is some evidence that it works for glaucoma.  I went to a Chinese doctor and acupuncturist that came highly recommended by a friend.  It was expensive.  $55/visit 3x a week for several weeks, then 2x a week for several weeks, then 1x a week for a long time.  She also did cupping on my neck which I liked.  I spent a total of $1,730 over 7 months.  Alas, it did not help the glaucoma. 😥

My last foray into acupuncture was for medial epicondylitis (golfer's elbow).  I went to a community acupuncturist recommended by a friend.  Pay what you want.  I went for 6 visits.  There was no improvement.  😥 4 visits to PT helped, but I'm still not 100% a year later. 

HTH!  Good luck.

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 2

I have had great success with acupuncture for female/hormone related things. 

Cost is about $60 up front per session. Found my guy by location and word of mouth. He was super willing to answer all my questions and didn't charge for an intial consultation. I find it super relaxing. I always go to sleep and he always treats for stress, whatever else I'm there for. A tiny prick when the needle goes in, but not at all painful. The needles are not like shot needles. They are solid, not hollow, and teeny. Treatment can also include Chinese herbs, taken by mouth. I love being treated like a whole person, not just a machine with a part that isn't working properly. 

Hope you find a something that helps!

• Like 2

1. I saw decent results with animals when I worked with a veterinarian that did it, so I'm a believer in at least trying it. 

2. I'd look into a different chair, or better posture, or a physical therapist to help with better posture if this is significant enough you need a chiro, massage, etc. Better to fix the underlying issue if possible

3. set a reminder to get up and move around at least once an hour

4. Try a kneeling chair for part of the day? I got one cheap off craigslist

I tried it years ago for my chronic back pain. Zero relief. I think some people get placebo effect relief from it but there's no medical evidence that it actually does anything. If it gives you some relief go for it, but use it in addition to other things.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I did have some luck with acupuncture for food allergies/sensitivities.  

That said, the best thing I've done is sit on a  yoga ball as a desk chair  My hips and core are MUCH happier with that set up.  The other stuff you're doing is good too but if you are sitting in a chair that doesn't work for your body, nothing is going help.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

1. I saw decent results with animals when I worked with a veterinarian that did it, so I'm a believer in at least trying it. 

2. I'd look into a different chair, or better posture, or a physical therapist to help with better posture if this is significant enough you need a chiro, massage, etc. Better to fix the underlying issue if possible

3. set a reminder to get up and move around at least once an hour

4. Try a kneeling chair for part of the day? I got one cheap off craigslist

Good idea about setting a timer! This is exactly what happens. I get so wrapped up in the work that I forget to get up unless I need to go to the file cabinet or when I see clients in private rooms.

I have my ergonomic knee chair which I had for years and love. I think my body has not adjusted to being on it for almost the entire length of the day plus 2 hour commute back and forth.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

My next foray into acupuncture was for glaucoma.  There is some evidence that it works for glaucoma.  I went to a Chinese doctor and acupuncturist that came highly recommended by a friend.  It was expensive.  $55/visit 3x a week for several weeks, then 2x a week for several weeks, then 1x a week for a long time.  She also did cupping on my neck which I liked.  I spent a total of $1,730 over 7 months.  Alas, it did not help the glaucoma. 😥

Have you heard of the laser treatment for glaucoma? I just recently read about it and thought it sounded interesting. I think they just finished some clinical trials.

12 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I am sitting longer at work now that I am in the office all day and the hips are unhappy.

I am already doing chiro, massage and walk daily but recently a friends suggested (again) acupuncture. I am not super freaked out about needles but the thought does not exactly cause me to feel peaceful and / or optimistic. Obviously friend had good results. Is it very individual or more issue dependent? What can I expect to pay? What credentials should I be looking for in an acupuncturist? What else do I need to know?

The Sota pulsed electromagnetic frequency (pemf) device would probably help reduce your pain quite a bit and eventually eliminate it. I use the Sota daily and have for over 10 years for prevention of back pain. I also use it on my heart and currently for a TMJ problem which is clearing up nicely.

The Sota is a handheld paddle with a Tesla coil inside. You turn the device on, place the paddle on your painful area, and a magnetic field is emitted which then affects your cells. You can choose either a fast setting, which emits a weaker magnetic pulse and is good for problems closer to the surface of your skin, or a slower setting, which emits a stronger magnetic pulse and is good for deeper problems such as hip pain. You might hear a faint click when the magnetic pulse is emitted but other than that you'll not feel anything except the warmth of the paddle as it heats up (and it can get pretty warm). One session is about 20" long but even short periods of time can have an effect.

Pemf devices have been used in Russia and Europe longer than here in the US. In the US pemf was first used on race horses and then on NFL players when trainers learned about pemf being used on horses. NASA also uses them, mainly to prevent bone loss while astronauts are up in space. It's an underutilized therapy that can treat many conditions and is only recently being studied in the US.

(Pemf therapy is not the same as static magnets. And is not the same as TENS; pemf is pulsed magnetic therapy generated by an electrical charge through Tesla coils.)

A couple articles:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26705327

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0065561

This is probably the best site in the US that explains how pemf works. Pawluk is an MD who has taught at Johns Hopkins and U of Maryland.

https://www.drpawluk.com

ETA: How PEMF affects adenosine and ATP and the effect they have an inflammation.

https://www.drpawluk.com/blog/pemfs-and-adenosine/

Edited by BeachGal
added info
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2019 at 10:58 AM, BeachGal said:

Have you heard of the laser treatment for glaucoma? I just recently read about it and thought it sounded interesting. I think they just finished some clinical trials.

Yes, I've had 2 types of laser surgery a total of 6x on my left eye and doc is talking about a 3rd type next.  🤔  I have spent a fortune on alternative treatments, all to no avail.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

Yes, I've had 2 types of laser surgery a total of 6x on my left eye and doc is talking about a 3rd type next.  🤔  I have spent a fortune on alternative treatments, all to no avail.

Wow! I wish in cases where treatments don't work, you then don't have to pay or at the least, you get a reduced rate. That is the worst.

I hope you find something that works, though.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 7:45 AM, Liz CA said:

Good idea about setting a timer! This is exactly what happens. I get so wrapped up in the work that I forget to get up unless I need to go to the file cabinet or when I see clients in private rooms.

I have my ergonomic knee chair which I had for years and love. I think my body has not adjusted to being on it for almost the entire length of the day plus 2 hour commute back and forth.

Do you happen to wear a fitbit?  I believe they all have a feature where it will prod you hourly if you haven't taken 250 steps in the previous 50 minutes.  I can ignore those, but I do hear them, LOL.

47 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Do you happen to wear a fitbit?  I believe they all have a feature where it will prod you hourly if you haven't taken 250 steps in the previous 50 minutes.  I can ignore those, but I do hear them, LOL.

No, I don't have one. But last Friday - yesterday - I got up more, stretched, walked back and forth a bit and it was much better. Just have to make it a routine.

• Like 1