Menu

Zune or Ipod?

Folks, I am a complete technological idiot. I am not good at gadgets at all.

My kids want an Ipod. However, Ree (Pioneer Woman) recommended a Zune a while back. I like Ree and just want to be like her . . . no, that's not what I meant to say . . . I . . . um . . . really respect Ree's recommendations and wonder if we should just do what she does . . . uh, I mean . . . and wonder if we should consider a Zune rather than an Ipod. :001_rolleyes:

Seriously, though, what's the difference between the two? Which is better?

Can you put Christian music on 'em? Can you get music for your little electronic gadgets without joining a cult . . . I mean, online music club?:D I have this fear of being trapped in a spiral of monthly fees--the fear derives from negative snail-mail experiences of recipe card clubs or music clubs that keep sending you stuff whether you want it or not and refusing to let you ever cut ties. :tongue_smilie: Or do you get your music from a Netflix-like nirvana?

You can see how clueless I am. Please help. My kids are depending on you.

iPod house here.

In Anj's thread earlier - Angela that posted has/had a Zune, she can compare them for you.

You can put whatever you own on them - i have all of my CDs on my computer and then to my iPod.

The free audio books you find online tend to seem to go towards Windows players because of the DRM (digital rights management, it's a MS standard).

Apple currently has no subscription based music "rental". There is talks of them doing it - but nope, no monthly fee.

I don't have an ipod to compare it with, but I do love my Zune! You can add audio books, Christmas music, or anything else that's on a cd. It doesn't work with Audible, so if that's something you might want to do I'd pick something else. Are ipod or Zune the only players you are interested in? Sansa has some highly rated players, and I love the Creative Zens I bought for my kids (I have one too!).

Creative Zen

Sansa

My 17yo has a Zune and she loves it!!!

You can play videos and upload songs from any of the online services (she uses Yahoo music which I think is around $10 a month)...whereas Ipod music can only be uploaded from the Ipod site and I think it was more expensive.

She uses hers daily...and we bought her a docking station for Christmas for less than $50.

We're a MS family and we have iPods! :confused:

I love my iPod. I didn't realize Zune was so popular. Yes, you can put Christian music on it. You can put either what you already have on CDs or you can purchase from iTunes.

My 17yo has a Zune and she loves it!!!

You can play videos and upload songs from any of the online services (she uses Yahoo music which I think is around $10 a month)...whereas Ipod music can only be uploaded from the Ipod site and I think it was more expensive.

The music can come from anywhere for an iPod that isn't iTunes provided it is DRM free. Amazon sells DRM free stuff, as does iTunes. Personally, for us, i'd rather not "rent" my music for $10/mo. I could buy 120 songs for that and play them wherever i wanted to. But that works for some people - especially if you like to have a huge variety. (And you don't have to rent stuff for the Zune either - you can load what you own). I have 3,446 songs in my library - and have only bought 290 in the 4 years i've had it - and 100 of those are ones the kids bought with money they got for CHristmas.

Videos - you can convert almost anything to play on an iPod too. Last time someone was asking me about video on the Zune it wasn't as easy to do as on the iPod - but i haven't been following that either. I can pretty much take any DVD i have and put it on there, or buy episodes from iTunes.

As a Mac computer family - Zune isn't an option for us! LOL!!

...whereas Ipod music can only be uploaded from the Ipod site and I think it was more expensive.

you are misinformed. first of all, there is no entity called 'the Ipod site.' you are probably referring to the iTunes Music Store. music for any Ipod can be downloaded from the iTunes Music Store and any other site that sells mp3 downloads (which is most of them!) as well as being able to add cds from your own music collection.

I do have a Zune. I really should try and sell it though, 'cause the rest of my family has Ipods. I do like my Zune just fine. BUT, I really like the Itunes software. It's so easy. I would much rather be able to pay per purchase than have to pay a monthly fee. As far as I know, with the monthly fee type services, once you decide to cancel your service, your songs aren't playable anymore. Itunes doesn't work that way. You make a purchase and it's your forevah. lol. We've had a couple of Sansas and they were pretty much worthless. We had problems with both of them. I-pods are really the way to go, in my opinion.:tongue_smilie:

Unless you buy them 'specially loaded you can put any music or videos on any MP3 player, they come empty. Buy the music off an internet site, load them from your cds via your computer or I bet the touch or iPhone let you download direct.

We are a PC but iPod family. I am of the opinion that you need to make a decision early on about what you think you would like to commit to for a player because it is easier and consumes less hard drive space if you all work off the same data base of music and have the same brand player. We have a couple of iPods and have 3 sets of speaker devices around the house. One player/alarm clock for the bedroom, one set of speakers for the living room and another in the kitchen. No need to move equipment or discs about the house, just take the iPod to where we will be listening.

Even the electro-techno-grump dh has broken down and loves the iPod, loves not changing discs, loves listening to more of his music because he can create playlists and listen to what he likes, loves buying just one or two songs and not whole albums where he doesn't like it all...

The iPod is very simple and thus far very durable. The kids love watching a history channel show or listening to audiobooks or some of the great podcasts that are out there. No dissapointment and no technical issues despite having PCs and not Macs.

I'm a Mac girl myself, and DH loves his iPod, but our library-based downloadable audiobook system is not Mac-friendly, so I'd have to go for the Zune (and am strongly considering this or the Sansa for myself for Christmas). You might want to see if your library has anything like this (ours is called ListenNJ). If they don't, go for the iPod.

• 1 month later...

We got both Zune and iPod this Christmas. The Zune is defective. The iPods are not. Yeah, it's just one circumstancial evidence. Not all Zunes are broken. But since I do have to return it because of its defect, I'll exchange it for an iPod.

Since all those mp3 players are linked to the same computer, it's easier if they all go with the same software. Either iTunes or Zune software. I had the chance to play with both, and I must say I prefer iTunes. It has more options in how to handle your music. I tend to be a power user real fast, so I look at the advanced options from the start. The iTunes has more.

Ipod. Everything about it is easy. You can listen to whatever you want and no you do not have to buy the music from the iTunes store. It can be from anywhere that hasn't locked down their music to a specific player. Apple has some of the best customer support on the planet (independent surveys) and some of the best products.

:iagree:

We got my oldest an Ipod awhile back. He was pretty darn rough with it and got it replaced at the Apple store TWICE - no questions asked. I am very happy with their customer service.

My mom, sister and sil bought me a Zune for my birthday. I didn't like it all that much. I returned it and got a refurbished Ipod. It is much easier for me to use and I love it. My oldest ds gave his sister his first ipod (the one we got him) and replaced his with some huge storage Ipod. His life is on there, I sware.

My old 4th generation iPod's hard drive just broke for the second time. We replaced the hard drive the first time. This time I'm looking to replace it with a 8gb Sansa Fuze, which would be cheaper than the replacement hard drive. There are a lot of advantages of this one over the iPod: much much cheaper, expandable memory, flash memory (which is more durable than disk hard drives, which is important for me because I am clumsy), great sound quality, an integrated FM radio and digital recorder, and it plays the audiobook files available at the library.