Menu

August Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

6 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I doubt elite athletes will take this  data into account.  It's sort of like pro-football players and concussions.  The risk is there, but if you want to be an elite runner, you have to do damage to yourself, same as being an pro-footballer.  Training for greatness is not the same as training for health.  Having said that, many elite runners can crank out crazy fast miles while never leaving their easy HR zone, so they may be keeping damage to a minimum despite the training load.  

You're probably right. It is really great information for most people who simply want to promote personal health with exercise, though. They don't have to run a marathon to get the most benefit from exercising. I think there was that illusion that if you ran a marathon you were at the peak of fitness and health benefits. I certainly didn't feel at the peak of health when I was training for marathons. It was the opposite. I felt horrible, and my dh was very happy when I went on to different pursuits. 

• Like 2

I don't even want to think about my heart rate while playing tennis. And over-heating is a for-sure thing when it's really hot outside - though our "hot" season is really short in Canada. 😄 The good thing is that with doubles there is a lot of built-in rest while on the court so you don't sustain a high heart rate for that long (not so much in a vigorous singles game). Another factor that fights over-training the heart is that typically another body part will start feeling pain, which will cause me to decrease my amount of play. Usually it's my wrist or forearm. I love how my aging body helps reminding me not to over-do things! 😉

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

So this no-m,an's-land between aerobic and anaerobic conditioning is around the 75-85% of HR max, give or take 5% on each side depending on authors.  And like you said, you need to have a pretty accurate max HR to work with before trying to define your zones.  I also have a much higher max than what the 220-formula would account for.  I'll be 37 next month, and can get my HR to 205 on hill sprints.  I am using 200 as my max and calculating from there, to try to build in a safety cushion, and it also makes the mental math easier!  Phil Maffetone recommends aiming quite low for aerobic activity- 55-65% of max approximately, although he uses a convoluted formula that starts as 180-age (to get to your upper limit for aerobic exercise), then various factors can allow you to add or subtract 5-10bpm from that, based on life stress, injuries, fitness level, years of consistent training, etc.  I'm not going to claim he knows what he's doing- his calculation is based on coaching experience and not scientific studies, but I am using his number as my *don't exceed* number for now while I try to build aerobic base.  It is amazing how relaxing these runs are.  

Looking at my data from Strava/Garmin, last summer (I tend to be much more consistent in summers, sigh), I don't have a single run in the HR zone I am now aiming for, so it makes it really hard to compare data.  The grand majority of my runs a year ago were being run at 80-90% of my max HR.  I considered virtually all of those runs to be "moderate effort" based on my perception of effort, but my HR would tell a different story.  But since that was how I had always run, I assumed that because I could maintain it for an hour+, it must by definition be moderate.  

This summer, I've gotten into the whole easy, low HR thing.  So I am now running with a HR of 70-75%.  Given my max HR, this is 20-30bpm lower than last summer.  I finish each run feeling like I could go do it again immediately, the runs feel relaxing, not tiring.  I have not gotten back to my times from last summer, because I am not even attempting a fast run right now.  EVERY run I do has been slow due to prioritizing my HR ceiling I set for myself.  I am basically running on faith right now that this is going to pay off in the long run with more speed.  As it is, in the last month, I have watched my pace drop by a full minute per mile at the same HR.  When I started this, admittedly with very poor consistency in the late winter/early spring, I simply could not keep my HR down- I was going too high even at 15-17 minute mile pace!  (and it's so hard to run that slow, I actually would feel embarrassed when I saw other people out and about).  I am now maintaining an even lower HR than at that time, but running 12:30-13 minute miles.  This is still so, so, slow in my mind, but I'm trussing the process.  I want to do another full month of slow running, then I'll do a test 5k on my own and just go at what I used to call "moderate" pace and see how it goes.  

So to sum up a long answer, ideally you want to run really, really easy about 80% of the time, and really hard about 20% of the time, and avoid moderate-all-the-time runs.  Mentally, it has taken me a really long time to be "ok" with this.  Maffetone recommends starting with 100% easy runs for a 3-6 months, then working in cycles of amping up for a particular season or goal, then going back to base building phase.  Fitzgerald goes with the 80/20 idea year round, though there are studies he sites in his book showing 100% slow is better than a 70/30 for performance, so he really pushes the no more than 20% above easy effort rule.  

I'm glad to hear someone else's max heart rate isn't fitting the formula!  I'm not super-sure what mine is, but I basically went back and looked at what it got up to most of the time in an OT class, which is about 180, and for my age it 'should' be 166 based on the formula.  They used to not allow you to adjust your rate, but recently agreed they'd change it based on your last 10 classes average as long as you'd been going there for x period of time, and that came out to 181, so maybe that is about right?   I still get more 'splat points' than most people (which is combined time during workout with heartrate between 84-100%.  They tell you to aim for 12-20 minutes there, and the rest you're supposed to be at 61-83%, but mostly at the higher end of that, which is your black zone, but that's not exactly endurance times.  Even now with my HR adjusted up, I'm routinely at 30-40 min in the 84%+ zone.  I had been thinking maybe my overall heartrate was just skewed high; that's one of the reasons I decided to get a fitbit with HR, so I could see what the heck I was doing outside of class.  Turns out my fitbit is telling me my resting heart rate is incredibly low (at least from what I was expecting) - it's been between 54 and 49(!) since I've put this thing on.  If that's really even near accurate, then all this cardio is paying off.  Even after years of doing rowing 2x a week, even in winter on the ergs, the OT workouts had me winded at first, and my HR would just stay up in the stratosphere the whole time.  Now I am seeing it recover much faster during 'recovery times' (which I still feel like are a bit short...)  I know I was really out of shape a few years ago - my first year of winter erging, I had to lay flat on the ground and pant between pieces - they were worried about me!  It's somehow easier in a boat, though when I first started rowing on the water, even that winded me enough that everyone was asking if I was okay...

I have to say my fitbit does not seem to record my workout HR very accurately.  They say to make it tighter and higher on the arm, but it keeps slipping and last time I actually bruised my wrist shoving it up there (!).   So I think I'll just rely on my OT monitor for those - I have to log my workout retroactively anyway as it doesn't see the lifting and rowing as part of my 'walk'.

I have heard some talk about 'run slow to run fast' - but I hadn't been paying much attention, since I have not even the remotest thought that I'll ever run fast!  I'm still walking on the treadmill at OT, but I'm up to 4mph and it's all uphill (that's what they do to challenge us walkers - give us hills).  But it sounds like the formula is really working for you!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, soror said:

I think the group atmosphere is certainly part of it, part of the reason I don't do group workouts because I have a tendency to push too hard anyway and I would without a doubt push over my limit if in a group class.

I appear to need a group to get off my duff.  I cut myself waaay too much slack.  I refuse to injure myself (knock wood), so I will slow down, give myself more recovery time, or lower the weights if I feel like it's too much - but I having someone encouraging me to do a little more really helps me not just call it good enough.

I did flirt with the idea of CF, I even did a 'couch to CF' try-out class when I first was trying to get back in shape - I was really out of shape and it was hard - but didn't get me anywhere near a CF level of fitness in those few weeks!  Even though the one I tried is not one of the crazy 'work out till you puke' CFs that I've heard of, not quite right for me.  A bit too much emphasis on the power-lifting (even if I do like to try heavier weights if I can manage it).  And I'm still intimidated by even the idea of a pull-up, which may be leftover scarring from that Presidential Fitness thing back in school, which I roundly flunked.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh and as an aside, since this spring my resting HR has dropped 8 beats (!!!) taking me from an average of 60 to 52 in a period of about 3 months.  This seems like an extreme improvement to me for the time period, but I haven't looked into it to see if that's normal.  

Sorry if I'm talking too much, I'm obviously really into HR training right now.  😂

These OT classes and my new fitbit toy have me thinking way too much about HR too, it's nice to be able to talk about it!  I was worried at first that my higher than average HR for my age meant I was going to keel over, but some internet reading reassured me that while the 'formula' is fairly accurate for averages over a large population, it doesn't necessarily apply well at all at an individual level - and max heart rate is just that - if you can sustain 100%+ of your 'max' for any period of time (like it should be less than a minute), then that is not your 'max' heart rate.  Phew.  So now I'm telling myself that it must mean my heart is 15 years younger than my chronological age...  😂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

I appear to need a group to get off my duff.  I cut myself waaay too much slack.  I refuse to injure myself (knock wood), so I will slow down, give myself more recovery time, or lower the weights if I feel like it's too much - but I having someone encouraging me to do a little more really helps me not just call it good enough.

I did flirt with the idea of CF, I even did a 'couch to CF' try-out class when I first was trying to get back in shape - I was really out of shape and it was hard - but didn't get me anywhere near a CF level of fitness in those few weeks!  Even though the one I tried is not one of the crazy 'work out till you puke' CFs that I've heard of, not quite right for me.  A bit too much emphasis on the power-lifting (even if I do like to try heavier weights if I can manage it).  And I'm still intimidated by even the idea of a pull-up, which may be leftover scarring from that Presidential Fitness thing back in school, which I roundly flunked.

I used to love group classes, I did them for years, it can be really fun and encouraging but these days I have to watch pushing myself so it doesn't work so well. I don't remember doing Presidential Fitness test in school, I remember flexed arm hangs in gradeschool but in the older grades we didn't do any strength training, just walking and running. I've been working on the pull-up for 5 yrs, I injured my shoulder a year into it from too many push-ups and it is very finicky now, so I keep getting to the point of doing them from the floor but end up hurting myself before I make it from a full dead hang. I was literally a few inches away from my chin over the bar at the beginning of July and I hurt my shoulder flipping tires with my friend, at the end of a long heavy weight upper body workout we flipped a 100# tire 50 times a piece. I took off 1 whole week and then worked light another 2 weeks and are now to conquer that last little bit to get my chin over that dang bar.

I did 30 minutes of lower body strength work. 

- lateral lunges, 1 leg squats to chair, leg curl with TRX (5 sets) 2 sets plank and mountain climbers

I just got a fitbit too, I had a basic tracker before. I keep forgeting to tighten mine during workouts so I'm not sure how accurate it is reading me either.

Very interesting on the HR convo. I've got work to do, I've regularly worked out for ages but 2 yrs ago back up on cardio workouts due to overheating and have only added back in very slowly, it is hard when I overheat so easily. This is good motivation to keep at it, surely it will improve a bit at a time.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Trying to get back to the morning routine. Woke up early today and went to the fitness center. Dh is supposed to be going into work at 7:30 instead of 8 this time of year so that means I need to get better about leaving the house sooner! I got in 25 min. on the bike and got to read part of a book. I was actually upset to stop because I wanted to keep reading lol. 

Great job! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, soror said:

I used to love group classes, I did them for years, it can be really fun and encouraging but these days I have to watch pushing myself so it doesn't work so well. I don't remember doing Presidential Fitness test in school, I remember flexed arm hangs in gradeschool but in the older grades we didn't do any strength training, just walking and running. I've been working on the pull-up for 5 yrs, I injured my shoulder a year into it from too many push-ups and it is very finicky now, so I keep getting to the point of doing them from the floor but end up hurting myself before I make it from a full dead hang. I was literally a few inches away from my chin over the bar at the beginning of July and I hurt my shoulder flipping tires with my friend, at the end of a long heavy weight upper body workout we flipped a 100# tire 50 times a piece. I took off 1 whole week and then worked light another 2 weeks and are now to conquer that last little bit to get my chin over that dang bar.

The Presidential thing was back in the 70's...  I was not a fit kid.  Always picked last for teams etc.  I was never fat (well, not when I was a kid, just after I had them, lol), just so not athletic.

Your injury story is why I refuse to push myself too hard.  I figure any injury at this age (I'm 54) will be a huge setback, as everything takes longer to heal, and then it takes longer to get back on track once you are healed.   My goal is just to keep on keepin' on.  And I'm still super-impressed you ever came even close to the bar, lol!

Very interesting on the HR convo. I've got work to do, I've regularly worked out for ages but 2 yrs ago back up on cardio workouts due to overheating and have only added back in very slowly, it is hard when I overheat so easily. This is good motivation to keep at it, surely it will improve a bit at a time.

I seem to have an issue with not being able to push if I feel too hot - rowing on the water makes its own wind, so I don't tend to overheat even on hot days.  And we rest between pieces, and there's usually a breeze on the river even when we're stopped.  The winter erging place I went to before OT, I needed a fan right on me.  At OT now, I have discovered the built-in fans on the treadmills (who knew those were there?)  I need to put them on high and aim them at my face.  For some unknown reason that really helps me.  Doesn't bring my HR down or anything (now that I have a monitor, I can attest to this), but I feel so much better.  If I feel overheated, I just want to give up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

The Presidential thing was back in the 70's...  I was not a fit kid.  Always picked last for teams etc.  I was never fat (well, not when I was a kid, just after I had them, lol), just so not athletic.

Your injury story is why I refuse to push myself too hard.  I figure any injury at this age (I'm 54) will be a huge setback, as everything takes longer to heal, and then it takes longer to get back on track once you are healed.   My goal is just to keep on keepin' on.  And I'm still super-impressed you ever came even close to the bar, lol!

I seem to have an issue with not being able to push if I feel too hot - rowing on the water makes its own wind, so I don't tend to overheat even on hot days.  And we rest between pieces, and there's usually a breeze on the river even when we're stopped.  The winter erging place I went to before OT, I needed a fan right on me.  At OT now, I have discovered the built-in fans on the treadmills (who knew those were there?)  I need to put them on high and aim them at my face.  For some unknown reason that really helps me.  Doesn't bring my HR down or anything (now that I have a monitor, I can attest to this), but I feel so much better.  If I feel overheated, I just want to give up.

I was born in '79 maybe that's why I don't remember it! I know as we get older injuries are no joke! I'm learning to train smarter and except for that incident in July haven't hurt myself in a while and I should have known better, even though it felt fine at the time. That's why I don't do group exercise!!! That adrenaline feels good and the ego boost from competing.

I've not noticed fans on my gym's treadmill but they do have them on bikes. I don't mind being hot and sweating it is that I entirely overheat and start to puke. So, I've slowly worked on finding the point I can push myself without going over the puke edge, but as I said with thyroid disease my temperature regulation sucks, after I was diagnosed I couldn't even do child pose in yoga without getting too hot. My trainer is great about it and can tell when I start to get too hot b/c my face gets red and then it loses all the color.

14 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Maybe given the circumstances, just let the pull up goal go? I’d hate for you to injure yourself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

I'm glad to hear someone else's max heart rate isn't fitting the formula!  I'm not super-sure what mine is, but I basically went back and looked at what it got up to most of the time in an OT class, which is about 180, and for my age it 'should' be 164 based on the formula.  They used to not allow you to adjust your rate, but recently agreed they'd change it based on your last 10 classes average as long as you'd been going there for x period of time, and that came out to 181, so maybe that is about right?   I still get more 'splat points' than most people (which is combined time during workout with heartrate between 84-100%.  They tell you to aim for 12-20 minutes there, and the rest you're supposed to be at 61-83%, but mostly at the higher end of that, which is your black zone, but that's not exactly endurance times.  Even now with my HR adjusted up, I'm routinely at 30-40 min in the 84%+ zone.  I had been thinking maybe my overall heartrate was just skewed high; that's one of the reasons I decided to get a fitbit with HR, so I could see what the heck I was doing outside of class.  Turns out my fitbit is telling me my resting heart rate is incredibly low (at least from what I was expecting) - it's been between 54 and 49(!) since I've put this thing on.  If that's really even near accurate, then all this cardio is paying off.  Even after years of doing rowing 2x a week, even in winter on the ergs, the OT workouts had me winded at first, and my HR would just stay up in the stratosphere the whole time.  Now I am seeing it recover much faster during 'recovery times' (which I still feel like are a bit short...)  I know I was really out of shape a few years ago - my first year of winter erging, I had to lay flat on the ground and pant between pieces - they were worried about me!  It's somehow easier in a boat, though when I first started rowing on the water, even that winded me enough that everyone was asking if I was okay...

I have to say my fitbit does not seem to record my workout HR very accurately.  They say to make it tighter and higher on the arm, but it keeps slipping and last time I actually bruised my wrist shoving it up there (!).   So I think I'll just rely on my OT monitor for those - I have to log my workout retroactively anyway as it doesn't see the lifting and rowing as part of my 'walk'.

I have heard some talk about 'run slow to run fast' - but I hadn't been paying much attention, since I have not even the remotest thought that I'll ever run fast!  I'm still walking on the treadmill at OT, but I'm up to 4mph and it's all uphill (that's what they do to challenge us walkers - give us hills).  But it sounds like the formula is really working for you!

There are also some formulas based on "heart rate reserve", which is the difference between max and min heart rates, I wonder if those would be more useful for people like us that have a huge difference between high and low.  🤔

The basic consensus is that optical wrist HR monitors are ok when your arms are mostly holding still, but not great once your arms are swinging.  I invested in a chest strap for workouts and use the optical for all-day/night HR.  To be honest, the measurements are pretty close between optical and chest strap on the days I get out the door and realize I've forgotten my chest strap, but I HATE the feeling of having a tight watch band.  I wear my watch really, really loose most of the time and I hate to have to tighten it up if I forget my chest strap. I don't notice the tightness of a chest strap though because I actually don't cinch it down too tight, I just shove it under my sports bra band and that keeps it in place quite well without an added feeling of tightness beyond the strangling feeling of a sports bra!  😂

What is OT, I think I missed what that was earlier in the thread?  

I would love to row.  I had a friend in college snd she and I would go use the rowing machines and because she had rowed crew in undergrad, even though I think I was objectively much fitter, I just could NEVER beat her!  She took the time to teach me technique, but it didn't matter, we would set a distance goal and she always beat me!!!  It always felt like such an amazing full body workout.  

On the reddit running group, the mantra is:  If you want to run fast, you have to run far, and if you want to run far, you need to run slow.  I just love self-experimentation, so we will see where my run slow work gets me...  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

There are also some formulas based on "heart rate reserve", which is the difference between max and min heart rates, I wonder if those would be more useful for people like us that have a huge difference between high and low.  🤔

The basic consensus is that optical wrist HR monitors are ok when your arms are mostly holding still, but not great once your arms are swinging.  I invested in a chest strap for workouts and use the optical for all-day/night HR.  To be honest, the measurements are pretty close between optical and chest strap on the days I get out the door and realize I've forgotten my chest strap, but I HATE the feeling of having a tight watch band.  I wear my watch really, really loose most of the time and I hate to have to tighten it up if I forget my chest strap. I don't notice the tightness of a chest strap though because I actually don't cinch it down too tight, I just shove it under my sports bra band and that keeps it in place quite well without an added feeling of tightness beyond the strangling feeling of a sports bra!  😂

I could get a chest strap at OT, but seems like too much work.  The OT one I use is also a wrist strap, but it has an elastic that allows it to be tighter and more comfy than the fitbit.  Although lately it also hasn't recorded for up to 15 min of the class, which is annoying.

What is OT, I think I missed what that was earlier in the thread?  

Sorry, that's OrangeTheory Fitness, which is a 60-minute studio fitness class.  The workouts change every day, but they're always some mix of treadmill, rowing machine, and weight floor.  Today was an "ESP" workout - Endurance/Strength/Power - other classes focus on just one of those three.

To give you an idea, today we started with a 200m benchmark row (where we record it - that's only done every now and then, and for different things, running or rowing different distances), then we had to do a bodyweight squat for like 1.5 min till the treads ended. 😨 Then we swapped and it was treadmill push pace (for me, that's 4mph at 8%), recovery walk, then all-out pace (4mph at 10% incline for me).  The runners default to flat treads except on Strength days. Then we did floor in three blocks.  Each one started with a 100m row (so we did that 3x total), then for the first block we did 10 oblique tucks on the ab dolly (an evil rolly thing to work the abs) followed by 10 pop jacks, then repeat.  Second block, 10 pikes with the ab dolly, then 10 tricep press on the TRX, then this oblique one-armed squat on the TRX, 5x each arm, repeat three times.  Then 10 bridge roll-outs on the ab dolly (where you lay on the floor and bridge your butt in the air, then roll the dolly out flat and back in again), 10 upright row lifts (I did the first set with 20lbs each, but went back down to 15 on the second set - I really can only do 5-8 with the 20s), then 10 lunge jacks on each leg, repeat 2x.  Then we did a big tread block, which was basically 90 sec push pace, base recovery (base is lower than push but you still have to work a bit to maintain it - the runners are still jogging these - easier is 'walking recovery, where even the runners walk) - followed by 30 sec all-out, walking recovery, another 30 sec all-out, and we repeated that pattern I think 4x?  On the very last all-out, I did run, managed 7.4 mph at 3 incline which is I'm sure wimpy for a runner but good for poky me. 🙂  And it was only for 30 sec.

My HR for that was a bit lower than usual, only 29 min in the 84-100% two zones, and most of it in the 84-91%.  Max HR today was 178bpm.

Usually we use more free weights; the ab dolly doesn't make that frequent appearances.  The TRX gets used off and on, but some days we just do body weight stuff.  We also sometimes use resistance bands.  I like that I never have to think, I just show up and do what I'm told, lol. 

I would love to row.  I had a friend in college snd she and I would go use the rowing machines and because she had rowed crew in undergrad, even though I think I was objectively much fitter, I just could NEVER beat her!  She took the time to teach me technique, but it didn't matter, we would set a distance goal and she always beat me!!!  It always felt like such an amazing full body workout.  

Rowing is so.much.fun.  On the water.  Still not a huge erg fan, but it is a great workout, and honestly I like it better than the treadmill. Form is indeed important.  The form of the people at OT is cringe-worthy.  I try to keep it to myself.  I'm still not superstar rower.  Youth and gender really make a difference in rowing.  I have come close to placing in the top for some of the benchmarks for the 50+ category, but have never actually made it.  And if I compare to guys and the younger women... ugh.  And these are the people with the stinky form.  Sigh.

On the reddit running group, the mantra is:  If you want to run fast, you have to run far, and if you want to run far, you need to run slow.  I just love self-experimentation, so we will see where my run slow work gets me...  

It sounds like you're already making progress with the slow work!  Slow and steady wins the race, and all that. 😉

• Like 2

To give you all an idea of how badly my fitbit works during workouts, I went and logged it on the app, and during that time my fitbit thinks my HR never got above 119. 🙄  So that's what happens when I don't bruise my wrist with it...  I'm manually entering the calories my OT monitor says I burned, even if they do always look overly optimistic to me.  Since I'm not counting calories, it doesn't matter, but so there, silly fitbit.  😝

And morning numbers are out for the 200m benchmark.  I'm a good 4 secs behind the top 'women over 50' times, (so not including the young 'uns and the guys), and the evening classes have yet to check in... yeah, I'm still poky.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

To give you all an idea of how badly my fitbit works during workouts, I went and logged it on the app, and during that time my fitbit thinks my HR never got above 119. 🙄  So that's what happens when I don't bruise my wrist with it...  I'm manually entering the calories my OT monitor says I burned, even if they do always look overly optimistic to me.  Since I'm not counting calories, it doesn't matter, but so there, silly fitbit.  😝

And morning numbers are out for the 200m benchmark.  I'm a good 4 secs behind the top 'women over 50' times, (so not including the young 'uns and the guys), and the evening classes have yet to check in... yeah, I'm still poky.

Very interesting!! I haven't had mine that long and don't have anything to check it against.  Just 4 seconds behind doesn't sound poky to me, good job. My fitbit always has my calories burned as really high, for the 2 weeks I've had it the lowest number is 1700! Usually I'm at 2k plus! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soror said:

Very interesting!! I haven't had mine that long and don't have anything to check it against.  Just 4 seconds behind doesn't sound poky to me, good job. My fitbit always has my calories burned as really high, for the 2 weeks I've had it the lowest number is 1700! Usually I'm at 2k plus! 

That doesn't seem that high to me? My numbers are about the same.  Isn't 2k it's default 'goal'? Like 8 hours for sleep - had to adjust my that down and I've still barely ever made 7.. ugh

My fitbit was tracking workouts better when I jammed it up my wrist, but I really do have a bruise now (two.. one on top, one on bottom!), and since I have a separate workout monitor, I'm thinking not worth it...

And lol, 4 secs doesn't sound like much, but most of the top times are differentiated by under a second,  so I'm prob way down there... it's a fast row, so 4 sec is about 10%... good thing I'm only a teensy bit competitive... like in a race, my goal is 'not last', lol...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

That doesn't seem that high to me? My numbers are about the same.  Isn't 2k it's default 'goal'? Like 8 hours for sleep - had to adjust my that down and I've still barely ever made 7.. ugh

My fitbit was tracking workouts better when I jammed it up my wrist, but I really do have a bruise now (two.. one on top, one on bottom!), and since I have a separate workout monitor, I'm thinking not worth it...

And lol, 4 secs doesn't sound like much, but most of the top times are differentiated by under a second,  so I'm prob way down there... it's a fast row, so 4 sec is about 10%... good thing I'm only a teensy bit competitive... like in a race, my goal is 'not last', lol...

Aha, I just looked it up b/c my last tracker only did calories burned through exercise, it looks like FB figures in the BMR too, aha, ok 🙂 In that case it estimates my needs low, not that I use it to determine how much I eat, it is more a curious observation. I have a Versa Lite, which can track sleep but I've not worn it to bed. 

Well, I see I know nothing about racing times, obviously, I still say good job!

• Like 1

1 mile last night/ half walk/half run

HR up to 130-150s I did not get sick, hot- temperature and sweaty it is humid and hot here but not sick. And I know the other day I did not get sick either, so maybe not so much heartrate but intensity and breathing, when I'm really pushing weights it is harder to keep the breathing as steady. IDK but I'll have to keep watching on it.

• Like 4

Interesting on the various calorie count metrics.  What has really opened my eyes lately is seeing my tracker (Garmin) routinely show my calorie needs at about 1100.  If I run 4-5 miles, I can get it to 1400.  LOL.  The truth is... this is probably an accurate measurement for my calorie needs at this point in my life.  I have had some weight creep, and I think it's my metabolism slowing down to those predicted values.  We shorties just don't get a lot of wiggle room!  And now I have to start "eating my age"- reality is tough!

• Like 5

Ran 3 miles yesterday and got in strength training and foam rolling. Today’s my rest day may get in a yoga session. My right quad muscle is achy some stretching may help. 

I find my Garmin estimates on the low side for calorie burn as well but I think it’s pretty accurate (unfortunately 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Interesting on the various calorie count metrics.  What has really opened my eyes lately is seeing my tracker (Garmin) routinely show my calorie needs at about 1100.  If I run 4-5 miles, I can get it to 1400.  LOL.  The truth is... this is probably an accurate measurement for my calorie needs at this point in my life.  I have had some weight creep, and I think it's my metabolism slowing down to those predicted values.  We shorties just don't get a lot of wiggle room!  And now I have to start "eating my age"- reality is tough!

We for sure need less as we get older (I just turned 40 so I've just started the fun). But those calories estimates are always crazy, we vary in how much we absorb and calorie counts on food can be off up to 20%, it takes some experimenting to find our individual needs. After endless tweaking I  have finally found my maintenance and losing zone, that is until the hormones go crazy again and I hit menopause, which will be another adjustment.

Today will be a rest day, just walking, maybe some light yoga, 10k+ step goal.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, hshibley said:

Ran 3 miles yesterday and got in strength training and foam rolling. Today’s my rest day may get in a yoga session. My right quad muscle is achy some stretching may help. 

I find my Garmin estimates on the low side for calorie burn as well but I think it’s pretty accurate (unfortunately 😂

Great job, hope some yoga loosens you up.

5 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

This morning’s workout feels useless. Dh wants to leave the house around 6:45 but he’s always running late so I told him to text me. I’ll probably barely be in here. I upped the resistance to 4. Not sure how long that will last lol 

Some days you just show up and do the best you can!

• Like 3

A bit over 1 mile very brisk walk on my hilly road, HR half cardio/half fat burn this morning. 

New podcast by Dr. Stacy Sims, former triathlete, researched at Stanford and now is in Australia (IIRC) she specifically studies women's health, how are hormones affect training, nutrition etc. Her interviewer today was not my fav but good info as always. 

I also picked up 2 new books from the library today- Hangry and Let Your Mind Run, they were rec. on another women's health and fitness group.

• Like 2

Fridays are rest days for me.  But I thought my fitbit would give me some credit for helping my dd move out of her apartment this afternoon - apparently not. According to the fitbit,  I've only logged 16 minutes in any exercise zone, and I get a big Zero for "active minutes" (apparently the fitbit gods decided you have to be active by whatever their definition is for 10 minutes at a go before any count).  Ah, well. Slug day. Tomorrow morning I work out again. 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

Fridays are rest days for me.  But I thought my fitbit would give me some credit for helping my dd move out of her apartment this afternoon - apparently not. According to the fitbit,  I've only logged 16 minutes in any exercise zone, and I get a big Zero for "active minutes" (apparently the fitbit gods decided you have to be active by whatever their definition is for 10 minutes at a go before any count).  Ah, well. Slug day. Tomorrow morning I work out again. 

LOL, Fitbit is weird on that. It counted my 1 mile walk in the morning as exercise but my 1 mile walk/run didn't pop up, even though it added my minutes to my number of active minutes. Now today I really pushed it on my walk and got my HR up there and it didn't list it as exercise in my number of exercise days but added my minutes in the active minutes but after I manually added it inputted it populated my HR numbers. Right now I'm at 7 hr 47 fat burn; 57 min cardio and 3 peak

• Like 2

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Went in the pool with the kids. Not what I’d call real exercise (no laps) but maybe burned a few calories. Ran some errands but also ate some junk. 

My leg doesn’t feel right. I noticed this morning. Wonder if I twisted it or something. Wish I had access to a rowing machine to switch to upper body. Maybe I could convince Dh to go with me into the fitness center to help me adjust the shoulder machine I seem too weak to reset. The basketball court was set up for a huge event so it may be occupied or full of tables tomorrow. Better ask Dh if he knows when people are using that building for the function. 

Good job! Sorry the leg is bothering you, hopefully taking it easy will clear it up.

I'm going lifting with my friend today, ya! Otherwise taking it easy, my period is impending and what I thought was just allergy issues maybe is a slight cold, IDK, but I have this drainage that is really annoying and I'm not feeling all that peppy.Aiming for an easy 10k steps today.

I started reading on Hangry and have done my quick speed read, look through, first impressions- I like that they encourage women to slow down and focus on healing b/c too often women get all stressed out and out of shape and then just start pushing themselves more in the form of extreme exercise and dieting, which is not great for us. I like that they encourage walking and meditation/mindfulness. Ya for strength training too, women need to build muscles to stave off the lose as we age. They also preach finding your own specific carb tolerance, which will be different, that I agree with and it is a fact we tolerate less as we get older but that it is individual. They also preach 1 pound of veggies a day, which ITA with.

I don't care that it is still very much paleo, the cover says paleo/Mediterranean but that seems they cut out the animal fat of paleo and replaced it with veggie fat from Mediterranean. True Mediterranean would have some grains and beans but they are scared of both being paleo peeps. They want you to do a 'reset' to start that is low carb and then add back after that, eating only 4-6 bites of carbs with each meal. They also rec. a lot of supplements, way too many. I don't like the way they talk about hangry b*tches and happy babes, it is a bit gimmicky to me. 

Now, I'm not looking for a reset and have worked very hard to find balance, not push myself too hard in exercise and find out how many carbs make me feel good along with what foods make me feel good. Maybe it would be helpful for someone who needs to work on that, although I still think it starts off way too low carb and the whole grain and legume fear is unfounded.

How is exercise going for everyone else this week? Did you meet your goals or exceed them or find you need to tweak them?

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 7:30 AM, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I'm having a tough time figuring out my eating balance point as well. I'm 52 and things seem to have changed quite a bit this last year. It probably didn't help that I went back to university part-time and started working part-time. It may take a little time to figure out an effective balance of eating, exercise and sitting so the weight stabilizes. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, soror said:

How is exercise going for everyone else this week? Did you meet your goals or exceed them or find you need to tweak them?

Exercise goals were met, and I'm noticing a visual change in my body composition. All good news. Now to figure out why my weight fluctuates up and down as much as 5 pounds throughout the week. Maybe I need to map out in more detail several weeks of eating and exercising patterns - but who wants to do that much work? 😉

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Exercise goals were met, and I'm noticing a visual change in my body composition. All good news. Now to figure out why my weight fluctuates up and down as much as 5 pounds throughout the week. Maybe I need to map out in more detail several weeks of eating and exercising patterns - but who wants to do that much work? 😉

Unequal amounts of water intake at night. Hormones. Cheap scale.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I weigh myself every day, and I don't worry about daily fluctuations.  I only worry (or rejoice in, lol) a new number.  I'm up a bit the past few days and feel bloated.  I'm wondering if my body is trying to do something cycle-related (yeah, not done with that yet - keep thinking 'maybe this is it!'...).

I definitely needed to do a carb reset to start all the weight loss I did.  I do eat legumes - I do not do paleo.  Legumes are what get me through low-carb!  Now that I'm pretty much at or even a bit lower than my original goal weight, I allowed myself a couple 'cheats' over the past few days - ate a pita pocket at Clover Food Labs (super vegan healthy, but yeah, that pita), a tiny  portion of real ice cream at Toscanninis, and then had sushi for the first time in ages.   

I did 5 workouts this week, which is pretty much my goal.  This is why I need classes - I just schedule them and go, and done.  This morning was an Endurance day - two long blocks on the weight floor - 10 bicep curls (I did 15lbs), 15 weighted hip bridges (did 20lbs), repeat, then 10 chest presses (did 15lbs today), and 10x overhead triceps extension (20lb weight) and repeat.    Second block was 10 weighted step downs each leg on the bench (used 20lb weights),  hip swing (30lb weight), high row on the TRX x15, ) 10 chest flys (only 10lbs - I suck at those), then a 300m row, then repeat the second weight block.  Then there were two 10.5 min tread blocks - first alternated between 2 min pushes (today I did them at 6% incline @ 4mph) and 1 min base recovery.  Second block alternated 1 min pushes with 30 sec. base recovery.

OT monitor says my HR was 27 min at 84+%, with my max being 173.   I did smash my fitbit up higher after it being so lame the other day, to see if it would work better, and it did, although it only says I was 6 minutes at "Peak", which is its 85%+ zone, and thinks my max was about 169.  But at least it didn't think I hung out in "Fat burn" the whole time... 

Now I have to finish moving dd out of her apartment...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

I was planning on running 12 miles today but only managed 10 before I gave up. It was miserably hot and humid. I left at 6:30 this morning I really should have started much earlier. Oh well. I ran the same route last week and was able to run the whole 12. I may try another long run Wednesday since I won’t be able to run next weekend due to family camping. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

I think you need to cut yourself some slack. Who can run even one mile in humidity? Are you a superhero? 

Big slack - I mean, 12 miles is pretty much half a marathon.  That's impressive as a long-term goal, and you're just popping it out as a morning run!!  Wowza.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hshibley said:

I was planning on running 12 miles today but only managed 10 before I gave up. It was miserably hot and humid. I left at 6:30 this morning I really should have started much earlier. Oh well. I ran the same route last week and was able to run the whole 12. I may try another long run Wednesday since I won’t be able to run next weekend due to family camping. 

You know some days are just off, could be where you are on your cycle too, as women our bodies ability to handle heat changes throughout the cycle.

2 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I weigh myself every day, and I don't worry about daily fluctuations.  I only worry (or rejoice in, lol) a new number.  I'm up a bit the past few days and feel bloated.  I'm wondering if my body is trying to do something cycle-related (yeah, not done with that yet - keep thinking 'maybe this is it!'...).

I definitely needed to do a carb reset to start all the weight loss I did.  I do eat legumes - I do not do paleo.  Legumes are what get me through low-carb!  Now that I'm pretty much at or even a bit lower than my original goal weight, I allowed myself a couple 'cheats' over the past few days - ate a pita pocket at Clover Food Labs (super vegan healthy, but yeah, that pita), a tiny  portion of real ice cream at Toscanninis, and then had sushi for the first time in ages.   

I did 5 workouts this week, which is pretty much my goal.  This is why I need classes - I just schedule them and go, and done.  This morning was an Endurance day - two long blocks on the weight floor - 10 bicep curls (I did 15lbs), 15 weighted hip bridges (did 20lbs), repeat, then 10 chest presses (did 15lbs today), and 10x overhead triceps extension (20lb weight) and repeat.    Second block was 10 weighted step downs each leg on the bench (used 20lb weights),  hip swing (30lb weight), high row on the TRX x15, ) 10 chest flys (only 10lbs - I suck at those), then a 300m row, then repeat the second weight block.  Then there were two 10.5 min tread blocks - first alternated between 2 min pushes (today I did them at 6% incline @ 4mph) and 1 min base recovery.  Second block alternated 1 min pushes with 30 sec. base recovery.

OT monitor says my HR was 27 min at 84+%, with my max being 173.   I did smash my fitbit up higher after it being so lame the other day, to see if it would work better, and it did, although it only says I was 6 minutes at "Peak", which is its 85%+ zone, and thinks my max was about 169.  But at least it didn't think I hung out in "Fat burn" the whole time... 

Now I have to finish moving dd out of her apartment...

Great workout and wonderful job meeting your goal. I'm sure your weight will normalize after the splurges. I eat lower carb than the SAD but not uber low carb. 

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

The scale is stupid, body comp is king, as Slache said there is so many things that change it. 

_______________________________-

When I got to the gym my friend wasn't feeling spunky either so we did stretching and mobility work and had a nice chat while we were at it. I got in 3 days of strength work this week so I'm good. I ended w/ 3 miles on the treadmill. 4mph/4 incline 1 mile; .75 mile run at 6mp; 1.25 mile split between the beginning and end. I came home and took a nap 🙂

• Like 2

Met my goals for the week.  I rotate between Insanity Max 30 Max Out and Chisel from beach body adding ab workouts when it's on the calendar.   Today however, the interet was down so I did my old stand by Jilliam Michaels, No more trouble zones with heavier weights.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Coming in late. Also in maintenance after weight loss - stable for four months. I walk briskly every lunchtime for forty minutes; Nordic walk two or three times a week for forty minutes; take two or three yoga classes; walk the dog and sometimes hike.

Nordic walking yesterday, then dog walking and garden work. 14,000 steps, 30 minutes peak, 17 cardio.

Heart rates are interesting. Fitbit has my resting heart rate at around 57, but the nurse recently tested it at 52. At age 56, my max heart rate is usually calculated as 164 or 169. Yesterday I was hitting 209. I was sweating and breathing heavily but not gasping. 160 is more common, so I wonder if my Fitbit was having an odd day. 

ETA I ignore Fitbit's calorie count. Counting calories makes me obsessive and weird. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

How long do you stretch? This is so new to me. I've always hated stretching. I am learning about "dynamic stretching." Do you stretch before and after? Daily? Even if you don't workout? It sounds like I should be!

My leg is feeling better. I hope to make it to the fitness center tonight, but we are way behind on meals. Dh is cooking and I've got dessert cooling (I know, I'm a gluten for punishment. I just HAD to try out this crazy baking hack I saw LOL Mix ice cream with a box of dry cake mix and bake for brownies). 

I probably don't stretch as much as I should, but I do read a lot about stretching!  😂 Dynamic stretching is great, but you should never stretch cold muscles.  Make sure to warm up first!  I don't stretch my legs before running, but I do stretch my neck and shoulders because for whatever reason, they will cramp up on me while running if I don't do a quick stretch beforehand.  After running, I really enjoy foam-rolling, but I'm not sure if it "officially" can replace stretching.  Anyone know?  

-----

This week was my highest weekly mile count for the year, at a not-super-impressive-but-still-very-happy-with-it 24 miles of running.  That included 7 miles today, which is also my longest run so far this summer.  

Eating has been hit-or-miss, but I am getting in a big salad as a meal more days than not.    

• Like 3

re: stretching- I stretch at the end of weight training or sometimes between sets if I'm getting too hot. 

I do some dynamic stretching after warm-up before hitting the weights and also when going heavy we'll do some practice sets at lower weights.

Last week I hit 96,800 steps and 469 active minutes; Walks every day; 3 days strength work- 3 hrs Ninja Gym Mon/3 hrs Rock Climbing Wed/Lower Body Thurs @ home; Mon- dance workout at home and 3 days with some run intervals

This week's goals:

Avg 10k+ steps a day

3 strength training sessions; watching my breathing; Starting Beautiful Badass this week but will be doing upper body work with the trainer Tuesday

Walks 5+ days a week (1 mile min)

1 day sprints

1 day+ intervals walk/run

So far, so good the body is responding well to adding in some running so I'm going to add a bit by bit. 

Keep on, keeping on with food, I had some splurges on vaca and never get as many veggies at home but eating is back to normal now; Today's bfast is plain steelcut oats w/ fresh peach and turkey bacon; lunch- baked chicken wrap w/ salad; dinner- baked eggplant and roasted veggies w/ marinara; snacks- square dark chocolate; homemade pumpkin superhero muffins

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Coming in late. Also in maintenance after weight loss - stable for four months. I walk briskly every lunchtime for forty minutes; Nordic walk two or three times a week for forty minutes; take two or three yoga classes; walk the dog and sometimes hike.

Nordic walking yesterday, then dog walking and garden work. 14,000 steps, 30 minutes peak, 17 cardio.

Heart rates are interesting. Fitbit has my resting heart rate at around 57, but the nurse recently tested it at 52. At age 56, my max heart rate is usually calculated as 164 or 169. Yesterday I was hitting 209. I was sweating and breathing heavily but not gasping. 160 is more common, so I wonder if my Fitbit was having an odd day. 

ETA I ignore Fitbit's calorie count. Counting calories makes me obsessive and weird. 

Glad to see you Laura! I can't believe it has been 4 months already for maintenance for you, you do so well on your walking speed, I'm aspiring to get there.

I have counted calories before but I prefer not to and have just been practice intuitive eating with a whole foods diet, always aiming for lots of veggies.

• Like 2

@soror Is intuitive eating just exactly what it sounds like, or is there more to the method?  With dabbling in and out of IF, I have come to realize just how rarely I actually experience hunger coinciding with a "normal" meal time, but I eat anyway because clock/tradition/family.  I'm wondering if I should look further into following my body's cues.  🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

@soror Is intuitive eating just exactly what it sounds like, or is there more to the method?  With dabbling in and out of IF, I have come to realize just how rarely I actually experience hunger coinciding with a "normal" meal time, but I eat anyway because clock/tradition/family.  I'm wondering if I should look further into following my body's cues.  🤔

There are books and such but I've not read them I'd read some articles over the years and just started listening to my body more. I focus on eating foods that make me feel good when I eat them, whole foods. I try to balance carbs, fat, and protein. I pay attention to signs of hunger and eat even when I "feel" like I shouldn't be hungry. I will make myself wait sometimes to see if it is just boredom or true hunger but if it persists I eat, even if it is mental I trust my body needs to eat and know that if I wait too long I'll end up eating far more and make choices that make me feel not so good afterwards. There are no good or bad foods and nothing is off limits but I usually stick with whole foods b/c I like how they make me feel and I like the taste of fresh foods. However, I enjoyed snarfing down those fresh tortilla chips after rock climbing and I have dark chocolate most days (just a square or 2 after a meal that I savor slowly). I work to eat all of my meals more slowly and enjoy my food b/c fullness signals can be delayed. I aim to eat until about 80% full, most of the time but sometimes my body craves feeling really full and I honor that. I respect that at different times of my cycle and different days I'll have different needs, our metabolism has a slight uptick before our period and lower estrogen means we feel hungrier so I eat more often in the PMS period and find I don't go searching for crazy carb fixes like I did before. I usually make a mental plan of what I will eat for the day but I change it if needed or wanted, I plan for possible snacks but eat them as needed and desired. I pay attention to my energy levels, at first I ate too little and really lagged in work-outs and I can also tell b/c my sleep is affected. I look for information about food IRT health, not weight, b/c the weight loss world is mostly toxic but I try not to get tied up in fear over what I eat or don't eat, I'm not perfect and will never be and our understanding of food continues to grow. 

• Like 2

Missed my morning walks all this week because of VBS😕After being on my feet for 4 hours, I was in pain. I have degenerative discs in my neck, and being on my feet that long isn’t the best idea. But today, DH and I will go out for a hike😊and I can get back into my walks and weight lifting.

Edited by May
Spelling
  • Like 3

Aims for this week: some cardio every day, so pushing the lunchtime walk. At least 30 minutes of exercise a day.  Maintaining my slight downward weight trend, as we have eaten out a lot in the last month. Continuing investigating eating whole food without my digestion stopping dead. Stressful time at work, so making sure I meditate each morning.

ETA and my usual 2 yoga classes and 2 Nordic walks.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

How long do you stretch? This is so new to me. I've always hated stretching. I am learning about "dynamic stretching." Do you stretch before and after? Daily? Even if you don't workout? It sounds like I should be!

The optimal is to include all three components: cardio, stretching and resistance. Three pieces of the exercise "pie." Each one is important. 

Stretching has always been my least favourite part of exercise, but I do appreciate the benefits of stretching when done correctly. It was always emphasized among research-based exercise that having increased body temperature is best for stretching in order to avoid injury, though most yoga classes seem ignore that completely.  Personally, before stretching I prefer to be warm after some vigorous movement. Then I stretch, and then I'll either to more aerobic activity or I'll do some strength exercises.  If I have space in the room, I'll add in some dynamic leg stretches.

I find that including stretching into my exercise takes the most self-discipline. I do it automatically when I go to the gym to work-out and if I go for a run, but I never do it when I play tennis,  bike, or ski. It's probably simply because I haven't intentionally included it and made stretching part of the overall routine with these activities. I am trying to change this, though. 

On another note, I'm trying to incorporate more balance exercises to my daily routine to avoid falling as I age. I know that maintaining muscle mass is huge for preventing falling, but training Taekwon-do for 15 years has shown me that training balance is also possible and has some benefit in avoiding falls - not to mentioning learning how to fall safely! 

• Like 3

My goals for this week: go back to wearing my good running shoes when walking longer distances. My new sandals seemed alright, but my feet and calves are starting to hurt.  Daily cardio, daily walking, tennis at least 3 times, strength training 2 - 3 times, stretching 4 times - hoping to increase this to daily, but being realistic. 😉

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Aims for this week: some cardio every day, so pushing the lunchtime walk. At least 30 minutes of exercise a day.  Maintaining my slight downward weight trend, as we have eaten out a lot in the last month. Continuing investigating eating whole food without my digestion stopping dead. Stressful time at work, so making sure I meditate each morning.

ETA and my usual 2 yoga classes and 2 Nordic walks.

I'd hoped some easy tricks and trips were helping the digestion 😞 I forgot to add it but meditation is on my list as well, I've been trying to add some mindfulness back to my day but need to be more intentional with it, I'm aiming for just 5 minutes.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, soror said:

I'd hoped some easy tricks and trips were helping the digestion 😞 I forgot to add it but meditation is on my list as well, I've been trying to add some mindfulness back to my day but need to be more intentional with it, I'm aiming for just 5 minutes.

Too soon to say on the digestion.  I had a migraine half way through last week, so I didn't want to start experimenting with magnesium, but I've started that now.  I've also cut down on my raw veg and started using flaxseed oil on food rather than ground flax in porridge.  We shall see.

Since I went on a mindfulness weekend in March, I have been getting up twenty minutes earlier and aiming to meditate for 25 minutes before setting off for work.  I probably manage it four days a week, then do another five minutes after I park at work.  Despite last week's migraine, I feel as if I am getting fewer tension headaches than I was getting in this busy period last year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Too soon to say on the digestion.  I had a migraine half way through last week, so I didn't want to start experimenting with magnesium, but I've started that now.  I've also cut down on my raw veg and started using flaxseed oil on food rather than ground flax in porridge.  We shall see.

Since I went on a mindfulness weekend in March, I have been getting up twenty minutes earlier and aiming to meditate for 25 minutes before setting off for work.  I probably manage it four days a week, then do another five minutes after I park at work.  Despite last week's migraine, I feel as if I am getting fewer tension headaches than I was getting in this busy period last year.

Hopefully, those changes help soon. 

I started meditation during my yoga training and loved having that time every day but life got crazy and I let it go, which is backwards really but how it worked out. I keep getting redirected back to it, along with working on my mindset. I binged the book I posted yesterday, "Let Your Mind Run," it is the story of an Olympian runner but really it is the story of how much our mindset affects us, coincidentally the book, "Hangry," really pushes mindset and meditation as well. It is a flashing neon sign for me, I've got to put more energy here, it is vitally important. I need to continue working on my self-talk as well. Today is peak PMS day, so a real good day to practice 🙂  

I did a 2.5 ish mile bike ride this morning, not all flat land but I didn't tackle the biggest hill either.

• Like 4

It's Monday, a chance for a great start to a new week.

Today I'm focused on self-care, my period is due and my sleep has not been very good. I started the day with 5 minutes of mindfulness and am prioritizing a nap. Today will be a rest day to take care of my body and for my personal training session tomorrow.

-goal is 10k steps but it is ok if I don't reach it

• Like 5

On 8/11/2019 at 3:40 AM, Laura Corin said:

Laura, so glad to see you here!  It's impressive how active you are.  I seem to be more of a 'push hard, then relax' sort of person than a 'move all the time' person...

I think that your calculated max heart rate is as bogus as mine and Monica's.  I did a bunch of research when I was a bit worried about how high mine was always getting in OT classes.  I did some googling and found a bunch of sites that confirmed that the formula is only good as an average across large populations.  For an individual, max heart rate is just that - how high your heart rate goes when challenged.  They basically said. that max heart rate is the place where your heart forces you to slow down or stop, or you puke or pass out if you don't.  So, yeah, when I was at supposedly 104% of my 'max' heart rate for 20+ minutes at a time at OT before I had them adjust it higher, that was bogus.  So if yours goes higher, it goes higher.  Unfortunately, that means that you're probably getting a lot less minutes at 'peak' than your fitbit claims, lol.  But you're not supposed to be at peak for a long time, as it shouldn't be physically sustainable.  I also read somewhere that a good indicator of fitness is the delta between your resting and max heart rate, and how fast it recovers.  So we must just be really fit. 😂  (I still ignore the occasional scary 200+ number as noise, but if I'm getting to 180 regularly, that's more likely correct than 166)

I'm with you on this. I cannot count calories - or for that matter carb grams - without it backfiring on me somehow.  I am ignoring that, as well as the food logging and even the weight feature on the fitbit.  The weight feature I might have used if I'd gotten the thing when I first started on this, but at this point it's not worth bothering with.  I'm obsessing enough about the HR and sleep features! 🙄

• Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 10:42 AM, wintermom said:

The optimal is to include all three components: cardio, stretching and resistance. Three pieces of the exercise "pie." Each one is important. 

Stretching has always been my least favourite part of exercise, but I do appreciate the benefits of stretching when done correctly. It was always emphasized among research-based exercise that having increased body temperature is best for stretching in order to avoid injury, though most yoga classes seem ignore that completely.  Personally, before stretching I prefer to be warm after some vigorous movement. Then I stretch, and then I'll either to more aerobic activity or I'll do some strength exercises.  If I have space in the room, I'll add in some dynamic leg stretches.

I find that including stretching into my exercise takes the most self-discipline. I do it automatically when I go to the gym to work-out and if I go for a run, but I never do it when I play tennis,  bike, or ski. It's probably simply because I haven't intentionally included it and made stretching part of the overall routine with these activities. I am trying to change this, though. 

On another note, I'm trying to incorporate more balance exercises to my daily routine to avoid falling as I age. I know that maintaining muscle mass is huge for preventing falling, but training Taekwon-do for 15 years has shown me that training balance is also possible and has some benefit in avoiding falls - not to mentioning learning how to fall safely! 

From what I've been reading lately, you should only static stretch once your muscles are warm, so after working out is better, and if you stretch before working out, you should do the dynamic stretching.

Balance is supposed to be a huge thing getting older.  I'm figuring getting in and out of a racing shell in the water regularly has got to be good for balance, lol.  There's usually a balance stretch or two in our after-workout stretches at OT, and my balance on those has improved over the past months.  Possibly in keeping with the newer thinking on stretching, we warm up on the rowers or treads and stretch at the end.  In large classes where people also start on the weight floor, they are instructed to do dynamic stretching to warm up.

• Like 2