Menu

August Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

We used to have a fitness thread and I thought I'd see if there is interest for one again. I was hanging out in the Weight Loss group but am now I'm at maintenance and would like to put more focus towards fitness.

I'm working towards:

-increasing my step count and cardiovascular fitness- mostly I just walk but would like to be more consistent w/ biking and maybe some walk/run intervals. Or even plain jane aerobic workouts, anything to get my heart rate up

-the Pull-Up (that I've been working on FOREVER) and general strength training- weights and bodyweight

This month my goal is 3 strength training sessions a week; 10.5k average steps; every day walks- even if just 10 minutes; 2x a week biking/intervals/aerobic etc

• Like 2

I did a 20 minutes dance/aerobic video this am, it was too dark for anything outside. I picked some random video of youtube which wasn't great but worked.

Today we're headed for a mini vaca and are hitting a Ninja gym today and rock climbing Wednesday. I'll not get in my regular strength training workouts but doing a whole lot of bodyweight work, which def. counts! I'll probably give the upper body a rest after we get back and plan to get in a day of lower body to finish out the week.

I'd love to join you in a thread like this. I'm naturally more much more exercise-focused than food-focused. 

Dh and I played mixed doubles tennis for about 2 hours yesterday, and today we'll get to watch some men's pro tennis in Montreal! I'm excited. I'm hoping to see the Murray brothers play some doubles, some Canadians, and watch some other practice (e.g., Nadal). Should be fun!

• Like 1

I'm not sure what I'm doing. I can't go to the chiropractor and I'm in a lot of pain. I'm going to a wedding in a month so I'm looking for something short. I'm considering BeachBody's 3 week yoga retreat to see if it helps my back. I mixed up some pre-workout at 6, decided I was in too much pain and went back to bed. I need to develope my strength, flexibility and mobility, endurance and lose weight.

I'm probably going to start training for a 5K (San Antonio Rock n' Roll Marathon) with my 8 year old after the wedding. We'll see.

I was doing Keto but I sustained some kind of adrenal gland injury and I think it was from the diet. I'm not blaming the diet itself, I've had an undiagnosed health problem for maybe 14 years, but the diet exacerbated it and I began passing out. I'm back to Whole30 because my body likes it.

I'll probably do yoga later, right now I'm supposed to be doing school. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I’m so glad this thread is back!!

I’m training for a half marathon in Nov so I’m running 5 days a week. I’ve got my long run up to a slow 12 miles. 

I’m working my way through the strength training book Strong 3x a week and I’m trying to get a couple of yoga sessions in a week for stretching. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, hshibley said:

I’m so glad this thread is back!!

I’m training for a half marathon in Nov so I’m running 5 days a week. I’ve got my long run up to a slow 12 miles. 

I’m working my way through the strength training book Strong 3x a week and I’m trying to get a couple of yoga sessions in a week for stretching. 

Why are you running 5 days a week? All of the plans I've looked at are 3 or 4.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Slache said:

Why are you running 5 days a week? All of the plans I've looked at are 3 or 4.

I like running. A lot of plans have you run various amounts and types of workouts 5 days 1 day of cross training and 1 day rest. Hal Higdon, Runner’s World, Train Like A Mother etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, hshibley said:

I like running. A lot of plans have you run various amounts and types of workouts 5 days 1 day of cross training and 1 day rest. Hal Higdon, Runner’s World, Train Like A Mother etc. 

Weird. Maybe I saw them and blocked them from my memory. :laugh:

• Like 3

I'm also at weight maintenance now.  I just got my first Fitbit, and although I'm working out about 4-5x a week (OrangeTheory 60-min classes and rowing - the kind on the water), my daily steps have only hit 10K once in the just over a week I've had it! :blush:  So this just confirms that if I don't actually go somewhere and work hard,  preferably with someone with a mic telling me what to do the whole time, I'm a potato!  But the good news is that all this working out seems to have gotten my resting heart rate to a great place (and I lost over 35 lbs, but I think that part was mostly fixing my diet).  Now I'm mostly working on getting well toned - my arms have a bit of definition for the first time in my whole life!!  I should probably try to get to those 10K steps more frequently - probably just cleaning my house more regularly would help... 😂

I keep saying I'd like to mix it up more - at least get my bike tuned up and use it.  I'd love to do more yoga/pilates, but I can't afford any more classes and I seem to have an almost impossible time motivating myself to do anything at home.  I sometimes manage just a few moves for 5-10 minutes.

I do not like to run, although my rowing coach sometimes has us run for warm-ups - usually 1/2 mile but we've done up to 1.  Slowly, lol.  At OT, I just walk on the treadmill and put my harder efforts into the rowing machine.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hshibley said:

I find it takes a concerted effort to reach 10000 steps as well. It’s easy to fool yourself into thinking you’re walking more than you are but a fitness watch keeps you honest 😂

So freaking true! Rowing got cancelled this afternoon,  so I'm switching to an OT class. Because my watch says I've only hit about 2k steps so far today. ..😨 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hshibley said:

What are your favorite running books?

My background: I want to love running. I do not love running.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm not sure what I'm doing. I can't go to the chiropractor and I'm in a lot of pain. I'm going to a wedding in a month so I'm looking for something short. I'm considering BeachBody's 3 week yoga retreat to see if it helps my back. I mixed up some pre-workout at 6, decided I was in too much pain and went back to bed. I need to develope my strength, flexibility and mobility, endurance and lose weight.

I'm probably going to start training for a 5K (San Antonio Rock n' Roll Marathon) with my 8 year old after the wedding. We'll see.

I was doing Keto but I sustained some kind of adrenal gland injury and I think it was from the diet. I'm not blaming the diet itself, I've had an undiagnosed health problem for maybe 14 years, but the diet exacerbated it and I began passing out. I'm back to Whole30 because my body likes it.

Too low carb was bad for me too, although I felt great at first, the thyroid and adrenal need carbs! Sorry about your back!

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'd love to join you in a thread like this. I'm naturally more much more exercise-focused than food-focused. 

Dh and I played mixed doubles tennis for about 2 hours yesterday, and today we'll get to watch some men's pro tennis in Montreal! I'm excited. I'm hoping to see the Murray brothers play some doubles, some Canadians, and watch some other practice (e.g., Nadal). Should be fun!

Ya, sounda like a great day for a tennis lover

5 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

I'm also at weight maintenance now.  I just got my first Fitbit, and although I'm working out about 4-5x a week (OrangeTheory 60-min classes and rowing - the kind on the water), my daily steps have only hit 10K once in the just over a week I've had it! :blush:  So this just confirms that if I don't actually go somewhere and work hard,  preferably with someone with a mic telling me what to do the whole time, I'm a potato!  But the good news is that all this working out seems to have gotten my resting heart rate to a great place (and I lost over 35 lbs, but I think that part was mostly fixing my diet).  Now I'm mostly working on getting well toned - my arms have a bit of definition for the first time in my whole life!!  I should probably try to get to those 10K steps more frequently - probably just cleaning my house more regularly would help... 😂

I keep saying I'd like to mix it up more - at least get my bike tuned up and use it.  I'd love to do more yoga/pilates, but I can't afford any more classes and I seem to have an almost impossible time motivating myself to do anything at home.  I sometimes manage just a few moves for 5-10 minutes.

I do not like to run, although my rowing coach sometimes has us run for warm-ups - usually 1/2 mile but we've done up to 1.  Slowly, lol.  At OT, I just walk on the treadmill and put my harder efforts into the rowing machine.

Rowing on the water, that is so cool. We have kayaks but hardly go out on them, seems like too much effort to load them up and take them. Congrats on thw weight loss and activity levels!

5 hours ago, hshibley said:

I find it takes a concerted effort to reach 10000 steps as well. It’s easy to fool yourself into thinking you’re walking more than you are but a fitness watch keeps you honest 😂

It is easy to fool yourself. I used to get a lot of ateps in but last summer I started a PT job where I sit at a desk and my b12 got a bit low so my steps got lower and lower. Since tracking ive been working my way up, it took me 3 or 4 months to get back up to a 10k a day average. Id prefer to be at 12 - 15k some weeks I hit it, some I'm happy to hit that 10k but the more you track the easier it is to get those steps in.

4 hours ago, Slache said:

Lol, 99% of my life I have hated running but have had spurts of enjoying it

I did 2 5ks 1 year and loved them(I got to where I got a nice runner high)  but I crashed after running so I dropped it my health is better now and u started craving a bit of running so I'm testing the waters.

We hit the ninja gym and had a blast, conquered some obstacles and failed others. We were there nearly 2 hrs, when I ripped skin on both hands it was time to go. I have fair size calluses too from lifting and pull up work! D's made it less than a foot from t he top of the warp wall, rhe one the same height as on Ninja Warrior. It was our first visitst too. I just made it up the 10 ft wall. Mostly I practiced rhe hanging and swinging obstacles and I hope I don't feel it too much in my shoulders tomorrow.

I'm at 11.5k steps my workout this am and time at the ninja gym gave me about 5k of that. Headed to the pool shortly, ill be checking out rhe hot tub

• Like 2

I still have not yoga'd. I'm procrastinating. Maybe manana. 

18 minutes ago, soror said:

Too low carb was bad for me too, although I felt great at first, the thyroid and adrenal need carbs! Sorry about your back!

I did 2 5ks 1 year and loved them(I got to where I got a nice runner high)  but I crashed after running so I dropped it my health is better now and u started craving a bit of running so I'm testing the waters.

My thyroid is low. Ellie told me not to do low carb, but I'm a stubborn brat.

Good luck running! I want to run the Mississippi Costal Marathon. Probably a pipe dream.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Slache said:

Can I say I'm amazed you're thinking of training for a 5K even though you're in that much pain?  Owie.  And go you!

I have to say I'm not a Keto fan, although every body is different and it seems some people do great on it.  It seems like a lot of stress on the body, though.  I lost all this weight by cutting carbs and sugar, but not by enough to go into ketosis.  I also stick to lean meats and try to stay away from lots of saturated fats, which I think is also anti-ketosis...  I roughly followed the South Beach diet protocols, which are no sugar, only whole grains but not too much, lean meats and not too much saturated fat (incl. low-fat dairy), limit but not exclude high-glycemic fruits and vegs, and lots of veggies and low-glycemic fruit (berries!).  But beans are allowed.  I love me my beans.  I do not count anything.  Not calories, not carbs.  Too much work for me!

43 minutes ago, soror said:

Rowing on the water, that is so cool. We have kayaks but hardly go out on them, seems like too much effort to load them up and take them. Congrats on thw weight loss and activity levels!

It is sooo cool!  I big puffy heart love rowing, although I still kinda hate rowing machines.  I usually row in an 8, but this summer has been disappointing in that less people signed up and we've almost always been out in a 4.   *pout*  I'm worried the second summer session will not have enough people to run!  Last summer we had two boats!!

It is easy to fool yourself. I used to get a lot of steps in but last summer I started a PT job where I sit at a desk and my b12 got a bit low so my steps got lower and lower. Since tracking ive been working my way up, it took me 3 or 4 months to get back up to a 10k a day average. Id prefer to be at 12 - 15k some weeks I hit it, some I'm happy to hit that 10k but the more you track the easier it is to get those steps in.

I apparently have a long way to go.  I went to my OT workout, and I'm still only up to 6.3K steps!  Oy.   We did a run/row today, so I definitely got a fairly intense workout, but per usual, only about 1/3 is on the tread, so step-worthy.  The rest is rowing machine and weights.

I mostly hate running - and I've had so many friends who 'can't run anymore' because they blew out their knees running, so I worry.  But I have to admit that I flirted with the idea of maybe trying a 5K after finding it not so bad to run (okay, jog) a mile, which is about a third of a 5K...

We hit the ninja gym and had a blast, conquered some obstacles and failed others. We were there nearly 2 hrs, when I ripped skin on both hands it was time to go. I have fair size calluses too from lifting and pull up work! D's made it less than a foot from t he top of the warp wall, rhe one the same height as on Ninja Warrior. It was our first visitst too. I just made it up the 10 ft wall. Mostly I practiced rhe hanging and swinging obstacles and I hope I don't feel it too much in my shoulders tomorrow.

I'm at 11.5k steps my workout this am and time at the ninja gym gave me about 5k of that. Headed to the pool shortly, ill be checking out rhe hot tub

Is that like Ninja Warrior?  Dh and I watch those sometimes.  So much upper body strength needed!  My upper body strength has gotten way better, but I have never been able to do a pull-up.  They don't have those at OT, so I have no idea if I've made progress in that direction.  I am soooo impressed by any woman that can do one.  And congrats on the 11.5K steps - I need to up my game!

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Slache said:

I still have not yoga'd. I'm procrastinating. Maybe manana. 

My thyroid is low. Ellie told me not to do low carb, but I'm a stubborn brat.

Good luck running! I want to run the Mississippi Costal Marathon. Probably a pipe dream.

Well now you know, no low carb you had to learn for yourself! I do moderate carb now and that works well. Ive for no dream of a marathon but best wishes to you

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Slache said:

I don’t really have any favorites. I like the book Younger Next Year just for the philosophy of it takes hard aerobic workouts to maintain fitness after 50. Some Facebook groups Slow Runners -very active and encouraging Another Mother Runner - practical tips (run early in the morning because you won’t fit it in later etc) there’s a podcast too. 

I got in 5 miles this morning. Off to strength training after an orthodontist consultation for ds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hshibley said:

I don’t really have any favorites. I like the book Younger Next Year just for the philosophy of it takes hard aerobic workouts to maintain fitness after 50. Some Facebook groups Slow Runners -very active and encouraging Another Mother Runner - practical tips (run early in the morning because you won’t fit it in later etc) there’s a podcast too. 

I got in 5 miles this morning. Off to strength training after an orthodontist consultation for ds. 

Good job getting in the run! I read that book too 🙂 I'll have plenty of steps today as we are walking 2 mi roundtrip to the play place and then at least another 1 mile roundtrip for sightseeing. Most of the day we're hanging out at this giant play place 5 stories tall, lots of climbing, crawling, jumping,  etc.ill try to take it easy on the shoulders since we worked them so hard yesterday and are rock climbing tomorrow

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Slache said:

I love running.  I ran hard for about 6 years (high school and 2 years of college), including a few marathons.  Then I ran "recreationally" (lots and lots of starting and stopping again as I got and lost motivation) for another 4-5 years, then I had a whole bunch of kids.  I am finally, finally, running again in a way that makes me feel like a runner.  Not because I'm fast (I'm really slow) but because I am both getting out 4-6 times a week and ENJOYING IT!  The secret is to go slow.  No, slower than that.  Eeeeven slower that that.  There you go.  

The book that got me out the door in my recent running renaissance (2 years or so ago, though this summer I have significantly picked up the frequency of my runs) was Spark! by Ratey.  It convinced me I needed to run for my brain, not for my health.  (Yes, I realize those are related things, lol)

Next, run slow:  The Maffetone Method- you can google this and find enough information that you don't need to read his actual books.  If you force yourself to run really, really, really slow, it no longer leaves you feeling awful.  Runs are these relaxing unwinding experiences, similar to a stroll after dinner.  When they say conversational pace, they do not mean that you can get a sentence out in-between breaths, they mean that you are able to maintain a conversation just like you would having a stroll about the block with a friend.  

Best all-around training program builder:  80/20 by Fitzgerald.  Once you've bought into the running slow idea, you can add in some speed again, but never more than 20% of your workout volume.  You've probably seen some news/science articles discussing the dangers of moderate intensity aerobic exercise to the heart, and runners who are into heart rate training consider that moderate intensity zone to be sort of a black zone- you are not getting the incredible benefit of high intensity, but you are doing a lot of damage to your heart compared to low intensity.  Rather than getting the best of both worlds, moderate intensity workouts pretty much just give you the worst of both worlds.  My personal experience is that if I am not very careful, my training all just defaults to moderate- I run too hard on easy days and therefore cannot run hard enough on hard days, so the line blurs and I'm just in that black zone.  I've really embraced heart rate training, and am through the use of a monitor, I am getting better at recognizing my intensity and can usually guess my HR to within about 5 beats before looking at my watch.  

Books that make you want to run:  Born To Run, Always a Runner, Again to Carthage, The Incomplete Book of Running.  

• Like 2

Glad to see this thread.  I am trying to be back on the wagon.  I don't weigh myself, but I think I am slightly slimmer than I was about a year ago ... only slightly.  I have to fit into a business suit on August 26, and I will need to work on my waistline.  I also really want to fit back into the various pants that used to fit me a few years ago.  (I have been in mostly stretch jeans since I refuse to buy bigger clothes.)  And I committed to a 5K in November, and would like to improve my time some (it is an average time for my age).  I would like it to feel easy.

This year I have been walking more than last year, so far.  Over the past month, I've been doing roughly 10 miles on weekends, and trying to get somewhere around 2-3 miles on the other days, but some days I am just a slug (I have a sedentary job).

I've been pretty good about doing my yoga for the past couple weeks.

When the weather is nice and I am able to make it work, I have been walking in my backyard, getting some sun as well as some steps.  Then I walk around a path indoors over and over, including some stairs.  I want to do more walking and bike riding outdoors, but I can't always make it happen, so indoors is better than nothing.

And I'm trying to do crunches and planks to work on my problem area.  And of course eat halfway decent.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, lynn said:

I am currently working through on hybrid of two beach body on demand programs.  Chisel and IM30 max out.

I love Shaun T! Love love love! Insanity is my fave.

20 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

1. The secret is to go slow.  No, slower than that.  Eeeeven slower that that.  There you go.  

2. Spark! by Ratey.

3. The Maffetone Method

4. 80/20 by Fitzgerald.

5. Born To Run, Always a Runner, Again to Carthage, The Incomplete Book of Running.  

1. Interesting! So not my line of thinking.

2. Ooooo. Tony Horton recommends this too.

3. Googling! I'm also interested in Chi running.

4. Imma library it. Or Google it. I'll figure it out.

5. Love Born to Run! Minimal shoes have saved my back. I need to look up the rest.

Thanks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

The secret is to go slow.  No, slower than that.  Eeeeven slower that that.  There you go.

😂 

Spark! by Ratey.  It convinced me I needed to run for my brain, not for my health.

Interesting! My older dc are supposed to read parts of this for Health (which we are doing sporadically, eventually we will get 0.5 credits) I randomly read a chapter where he that said adding sprints got rid of his spare tire with no other changes, so I've added some sprints to two of my running days. It felt like a risky move because many years ago I thought I would add speed work - and I ended up quitting running for a couple of years!

• Like 2

I love running.  I ran hard for about 6 years (high school and 2 years of college), including a few marathons.  Then I ran "recreationally" (lots and lots of starting and stopping again as I got and lost motivation) for another 4-5 years, then I had a whole bunch of kids.  I am finally, finally, running again in a way that makes me feel like a runner.  Not because I'm fast (I'm really slow) but because I am both getting out 4-6 times a week and ENJOYING IT!  The secret is to go slow.  No, slower than that.  Eeeeven slower that that.  There you go.  

Next, run slow:  The Maffetone Method- you can google this and find enough information that you don't need to read his actual books.  If you force yourself to run really, really, really slow, it no longer leaves you feeling awful.  Runs are these relaxing unwinding experiences, similar to a stroll after dinner.  When they say conversational pace, they do not mean that you can get a sentence out in-between breaths, they mean that you are able to maintain a conversation just like you would having a stroll about the block with a friend.  

LOL, I kinda love this idea.  When I ran that mile that didn't kill me, I was going slow and talking to two fellow rowers the whole time.  For the first time ever, I thought  - hey, this isn't so bad.  But the only reason I could even run sloooowly and not die is because I've spent the past year getting my cardio better.  Last time I tried to do that distance, I think about two years ago, I had to alternate with fast walking and I was dead by the end.  Even going super slow.

The book that got me out the door in my recent running renaissance (2 years or so ago, though this summer I have significantly picked up the frequency of my runs) was Spark! by Ratey.  It convinced me I needed to run for my brain, not for my health.  (Yes, I realize those are related things, lol)

I've got this book on my To-Read list.  What started me finally doing more cardio (which I always hated - I did more resistance training and some stretching) was just an article I read about how your mitochondria, especially as you age, are use-it-or-lose-it.  Which I think? is part of what Spark talks about?  But that one article really got me off my duff.

• Like 2

I've been running most of my life. I'm all in favour of finding a way to run that is enjoyable and benefits the body. I've run several half-marathon races and two full marathons, and choose not to run those long distances anymore. I prefer spreading my exercise time over several different activities.

At this point in my life, tennis is my favourite activity. It checks off so many boxes all at once; upper and lower body work, weight baring, mental stimulation, social time, etc. I've joined a gym again and am running on the treadmill as a warm-up. It's way easier on the body than running outdoors. 

My challenge now is to try an ensure that I am doing all three of the following: aerobic training, strength/resistance work, stretching. By far my weakest area is stretching, so I need to be much more intentional about fitting this into my life. 

• Like 2

Went on vacation with intentions of staying on track. Did not stay on track. Came home 2 pounds heavier and with major joint pain. I'm resetting my diet back to *almost* Whole 30 level. Back off of dairy is the biggie. It didn't upset my stomach but I think it might be part of the inflammation. I did my old lady yoga class yesterday and that helped a lot. Today was piloxing barre, and I felt better than I expected. Just really going to buckle down and dig in again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

My challenge now is to try an ensure that I am doing all three of the following: aerobic training, strength/resistance work, stretching. By far my weakest area is stretching, so I need to be much more intentional about fitting this into my life. 

Stretching is my short coming as well. I was watching a YouTube video on foam rolling today and tried to do some after strength training today but consistency is my problem. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

I am trying to lose weight. I am eating better overall, but it's a slow process. My goal right now is to do some sort of exercise 6 days/week. For that that is usually treadmill/outdoor walking/mowing lawn. I need to learn how to use the equipment in the fitness center. It may not work for me.  I couldn't even move this thing to adjust the setting on one machine! The lowest barbell they have is 10 lbs which for me right now is too much. I think I need like an 8 lb. I looked at some in the store and held them. I was just trying to avoid spending money so would like to use what I have available free. I was given a list of exercises to do at home that don't require equipment but I haven't done them. Poses, yoga, etc. are a turn off for me personally. 

A good way to start strength training is body weight exercises planks pushups glute bridges squats lunges. You can work your way up to being strong enough to use the weights they have available. Also check with your gym to see if they have kettlebells they may start at 5lb

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

😂

Interesting! My older dc are supposed to read parts of this for Health (which we are doing sporadically, eventually we will get 0.5 credits) I randomly read a chapter where he that said adding sprints got rid of his spare tire with no other changes, so I've added some sprints to two of my running days. It felt like a risky move because many years ago I thought I would add speed work - and I ended up quitting running for a couple of years!

What else are y'all reading for health?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slache said:

What else are y'all reading for health?

We are using an old copy of the Oak Meadow syllabus. There is a text book, an anatomy coloring book, Spark, and In Defense of Food. I was vaguely interested before, but now that @Monica_in_Switzerland recommend it, I'll read Spark all the way through myself. 

I find it hard to read books on exercise because i feel like I already know the big things. I do like magazines like Runner's World because i can pick and choose articles, but by their nature they are so focused that it can feel like I'm not covering all the bases. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SusanC said:

We are using an old copy of the Oak Meadow syllabus. There is a text book, an anatomy coloring book, Spark, and In Defense of Food. I was vaguely interested before, but now that @Monica_in_Switzerland recommend it, I'll read Spark all the way through myself. 

I find it hard to read books on exercise because i feel like I already know the big things. I do like magazines like Runner's World because i can pick and choose articles, but by their nature they are so focused that it can feel like I'm not covering all the bases. 

I like reading running books because it burns as many calories as running. I know it's true because I read it on the internet.

What's the philosophy of In Defense of Food?

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

I like reading running books because it burns as many calories as running. I know it's true because I read it on the internet.

What's the philosophy of In Defense of Food?

In Defense of Food is the Michael Pollan book in which he puts forward his famous guideline for eating, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." And then expands on that. It is short, humorous, and has some wisdom. Perfect for my budding adults.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20k steps and according to Fitbit 97 min of exercise(I don't know how they measure that). I think we should all sleep well. Love reading everything will have to catch up when on a computer. Heading to bed, tomorrow us rock climbing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soror said:

20k steps and according to Fitbit 97 min of exercise(I don't know how they measure that). I think we should all sleep well. Love reading everything will have to catch up when on a computer. Heading to bed, tomorrow us rock climbing.

Fitbit tells me I've done 85 min of exercise,  but I'm still only at 7.7K steps today.  Does that mean I'm doing something wrong, or something right,  lol...? 😂   I did do a 60 min OT workout (endurance day today), and I did help my dh load his car with some really heavy stuff, carrying among other things a 50+ lb case in each hand from the shed to the car... but then lots of potato, apparently. ..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Fitbit tells me I've done 85 min of exercise,  but I'm still only at 7.7K steps today.  Does that mean I'm doing something wrong, or something right,  lol...? 😂   I did do a 60 min OT workout (endurance day today), and I did help my dh load his car with some really heavy stuff, carrying among other things a 50+ lb case in each hand from the shed to the car... but then lots of potato, apparently. ..

Lol not right or wrong just different I mostly had a while lot of walking, no official exercise. You got that heart rate up your class!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, soror said:

Lol not right or wrong just different I mostly had a while lot of walking, no official exercise. You got that heart rate up your class!

Those classes are all about getting the heart rate up. I need pushing to offset all the potatoing, lol...

• Like 2

I thought I'd post the link to the TED talk about endurance training and heart health:

Of course there comes a problem when you ENJOY intense endurance sports.  But like many things we enjoy (drinking wine, eating cake...) sometimes we decide to do it despite risks.  More science is out now that talks about this black zone of heart rate training, and the hope is that by running at both lower and higher intensities, we can avoid pushing our heart into that danger zone for long periods of time.  We *know* that the majority of people who cross a finish line in a marathon have markers in their blood that, in a normal person, would indicate heart attack.  

At this point in my life I feel like I'm teetering between the two worlds of exercising for longevity and exercising for performance.  The science is there that these two things are NOT THE SAME.  But I'm still young enough that I think I could beat my pervious marathon PR with smarter training...  But I'm also old enough to know that might not be the best long-term strategy for my health.  😂  In the mean time, the one and only thing that seems undisputed for both longevity and performance- weight training- I am not doing.  Sigh.  Need to get my kettlebell back out...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, soror said:

@Monica_in_Switzerland I watched the video this morning, interesting, thank you. I wonder about the effect of running compared to other activities,also at a moderate pace, on longevity? Other info I've read had looked more at exercise in general, not just running.

It may just be because this is what I read most about, but it really seems to be endurance running that is under fire as damaging to the heart.  I know from unrelated reading that you have to totally recalculate your heart rate zones for swimming, because you just can't get your heart rate up as high (and then maintained thus for long periods) swimming as you can running- partially due to the superior heat reduction in the body provided by the water, partially from being in a  horizontal position, which is less stressful to the heart.  Biking on the other hand would probably have the potential to push the heart into that dangerous "moderate intensity" no man's land.  

Anaerobic exercise seems like it will be safer by nature, because you might hit 90% HR max, but it will only be for a few seconds at a time.  I've read quite a bit about weightlifting as well, and it would seem that if your goal is gaining strength, you really do need to fully REST between sets, bringing your heart rate back down completely.  Things like circuit training which are touted to give you simultaneous cardio and strength, tend to (like the black zone in running) give you all the downsides without all the benefits of either pure aerobic or pure anaerobic (proper weight lifting being anaerobic) exercise.  Things such as lifting a light weight for many reps in order to get a "cardio" benefit are less effective as cardio than actual cardio (walking, running, rowing), while predisposing you to more injury risk because of bearing weight out on the end of one of the giant levers we call our limbs.  🙂  Pure cardio is of course weight bearing, but only bodyweight, and hopefully in movements that are more-or-less natural.  Similarly, rushing through a heavy lifting routine while skipping or shortening rest periods can prevent the muscle from recovering enough between sets to enable you to maximally exert, while once again creating an opportunity for injury due to fatigue+heavy weights.  

This probably explains why Cross Fit injuries are so high (and, mentally, I LOVE that bootcampy style stuff!!! but the risk is real).  

I guess research seems to be showing that, once again, multi-tasking probably isn't great for us, mentally or physically.  

• Like 3

Ya, things like CF are a lot of fun but you sure do have to watch it, speed lifting heavy weights is asking for injuries. I did it years ago but became disenchanted and I can't do very high intensity. With thyroid disease I overheat easily anyway. One of the reasons  i started back to weight lifting is because it works really well for me, because I can take as long as I need between sets. 

We spent 3 hrs at rhe rock climbing gym, and I was spent by then. Of course you don't climb non-stop, especially helping the kids too but I got plenty done. I'll be feeling it, hopefully not too much. Dh belayed me and I conquered several routes, a couple I didn't think I'd get but I kept at it. I can certainly tell i have a lot more upper body strength than when we did it before. I was a bit shaky by the end, very glad I noshed my leftover cauliflower pizza after breakfast, still yet I was slamming down the chips and salsa at taco joint and I usually dont touch them.

I'm at 7500 steps so far today and my Fitbit doesn't say I exercised although my heart rate went up higher than a walk, which it readily recognizes. Hoping for a little walk this evening when I get home(we have a 2 hr drive), I plan to at least end with 10k steps and then be lazy 🙂

• Like 4

I got in a 7 mile run this morning and a yoga class before lunch. 

I always wonder with cross fit how many injuries are caused by people pushing themselves too far due to the group atmosphere. I understand the atmosphere is positive and encouraging but I know for myself that would cause me to push too hard. 

• Like 3

Rowing was cancelled again tonight;  makeup is Monday.  I'm not holding out a lot of hope for a second session this summer... so I took this day as a rest day, since I just did 4 days of OT in a row, and I was getting sore.  Back to it tomorrow am.

Was out all day... still only 7.7K steps so far. 😒   My fitbit claims my heart rate was in an 'exercise zone' for 140 min, but that was just the lowest one from walking around. ..  (it doesn't give me exercise credit for that....)

What is the 'black zone' we're not supposed to be in, and how long there is supposed to be bad? I'll probably never work out more than an hour at a time, so do I even have to worry about that?... I have a hard time with the percentage zones anyway since it appears that my max heart rate is way higher than average for my age.  OT  finally let me adjust it from the standard formula. .. I also tweaked it on my fitbit. 

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

Monica - Thanks for sharing that video. I'll have to try and find the articles. It doesn't surprise me that marathon and ultramarathon athletes do some damage, but it really surprises me that the negative impact is so high. I wonder how long it will take before this kind of research will have an impact on elite athletes training. It's not just runners who run too fast and too much. There are other endurance athletes, such as nordic skiers, who run a lot in the off-season. But there is potential for some of these same negative effects for long-distance skiers as well.

I'm very happy to leave the marathon scene behind me forever. I do feel a lot better, and I enjoy it more, when I run for shorter distances at a moderate pace. I've also been walking a lot more over the last year. It's very enjoyable. To feed my competitive drive, I have my tennis league. 😉 

I played a really fun, fast-paced mixed doubles match this evening. We had some great rallies and played for about 1.5 hours. 

• Like 2

I have not worked out at all this week and I'm averaging maybe 2.5K steps. Posting because I'm hoping it will make me feel bad enough to do something tomorrow morning. I'm not doing well but the lack of yoga/tai chi is pure laziness. Someone slap me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Rowing was cancelled again tonight;  makeup is Monday.  I'm not holding out a lot of hope for a second session this summer... so I took this day as a rest day, since I just did 4 days of OT in a row, and I was getting sore.  Back to it tomorrow am.

Was out all day... still only 7.7K steps so far. 😒   My fitbit claims my heart rate was in an 'exercise zone' for 140 min, but that was just the lowest one from walking around. ..  (it doesn't give me exercise credit for that....)

What is the 'black zone' we're not supposed to be in, and how long there is supposed to be bad? I'll probably never work out more than an hour at a time, so do I even have to worry about that?... I have a hard time with the percentage zones anyway since it appears that my max heart rate is way higher than average for my age.  OT  finally let me adjust it from the standard formula. .. I also tweaked it on my fitbit. 

So this no-m,an's-land between aerobic and anaerobic conditioning is around the 75-85% of HR max, give or take 5% on each side depending on authors.  And like you said, you need to have a pretty accurate max HR to work with before trying to define your zones.  I also have a much higher max than what the 220-formula would account for.  I'll be 37 next month, and can get my HR to 205 on hill sprints.  I am using 200 as my max and calculating from there, to try to build in a safety cushion, and it also makes the mental math easier!  Phil Maffetone recommends aiming quite low for aerobic activity- 55-65% of max approximately, although he uses a convoluted formula that starts as 180-age (to get to your upper limit for aerobic exercise), then various factors can allow you to add or subtract 5-10bpm from that, based on life stress, injuries, fitness level, years of consistent training, etc.  I'm not going to claim he knows what he's doing- his calculation is based on coaching experience and not scientific studies, but I am using his number as my *don't exceed* number for now while I try to build aerobic base.  It is amazing how relaxing these runs are.  

Looking at my data from Strava/Garmin, last summer (I tend to be much more consistent in summers, sigh), I don't have a single run in the HR zone I am now aiming for, so it makes it really hard to compare data.  The grand majority of my runs a year ago were being run at 80-90% of my max HR.  I considered virtually all of those runs to be "moderate effort" based on my perception of effort, but my HR would tell a different story.  But since that was how I had always run, I assumed that because I could maintain it for an hour+, it must by definition be moderate.  

This summer, I've gotten into the whole easy, low HR thing.  So I am now running with a HR of 70-75%.  Given my max HR, this is 20-30bpm lower than last summer.  I finish each run feeling like I could go do it again immediately, the runs feel relaxing, not tiring.  I have not gotten back to my times from last summer, because I am not even attempting a fast run right now.  EVERY run I do has been slow due to prioritizing my HR ceiling I set for myself.  I am basically running on faith right now that this is going to pay off in the long run with more speed.  As it is, in the last month, I have watched my pace drop by a full minute per mile at the same HR.  When I started this, admittedly with very poor consistency in the late winter/early spring, I simply could not keep my HR down- I was going too high even at 15-17 minute mile pace!  (and it's so hard to run that slow, I actually would feel embarrassed when I saw other people out and about).  I am now maintaining an even lower HR than at that time, but running 12:30-13 minute miles.  This is still so, so, slow in my mind, but I'm trussing the process.  I want to do another full month of slow running, then I'll do a test 5k on my own and just go at what I used to call "moderate" pace and see how it goes.  

So to sum up a long answer, ideally you want to run really, really easy about 80% of the time, and really hard about 20% of the time, and avoid moderate-all-the-time runs.  Mentally, it has taken me a really long time to be "ok" with this.  Maffetone recommends starting with 100% easy runs for a 3-6 months, then working in cycles of amping up for a particular season or goal, then going back to base building phase.  Fitzgerald goes with the 80/20 idea year round, though there are studies he sites in his book showing 100% slow is better than a 70/30 for performance, so he really pushes the no more than 20% above easy effort rule.  

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

Monica - Thanks for sharing that video. I'll have to try and find the articles. It doesn't surprise me that marathon and ultramarathon athletes do some damage, but it really surprises me that the negative impact is so high. I wonder how long it will take before this kind of research will have an impact on elite athletes training. It's not just runners who run too fast and too much. There are other endurance athletes, such as nordic skiers, who run a lot in the off-season. But there is potential for some of these same negative effects for long-distance skiers as well.

I'm very happy to leave the marathon scene behind me forever. I do feel a lot better, and I enjoy it more, when I run for shorter distances at a moderate pace. I've also been walking a lot more over the last year. It's very enjoyable. To feed my competitive drive, I have my tennis league. 😉 

I played a really fun, fast-paced mixed doubles match this evening. We had some great rallies and played for about 1.5 hours. 

I doubt elite athletes will take this  data into account.  It's sort of like pro-football players and concussions.  The risk is there, but if you want to be an elite runner, you have to do damage to yourself, same as being an pro-footballer.  Training for greatness is not the same as training for health.  Having said that, many elite runners can crank out crazy fast miles while never leaving their easy HR zone, so they may be keeping damage to a minimum despite the training load.  

• Like 2

Oh and as an aside, since this spring my resting HR has dropped 8 beats (!!!) taking me from an average of 60 to 52 in a period of about 3 months.  This seems like an extreme improvement to me for the time period, but I haven't looked into it to see if that's normal.  

Sorry if I'm talking too much, I'm obviously really into HR training right now.  😂

• Like 3

I had just tried to figure out heart rate zones the other day but there is so much conflicting calculators and formulas out there, my resting is around 63 usually. I get up to 100 easily, even up to 120 isn't horrible. If I start getting into mid 120s and 130s I'll be hot and if I keep pushing there I'll be sick. So, perhaps working on training in the low and slow zone more will increase my tolerance, I don't know. I used to be able to do sprints and high intensity stuff but I pushed myself too hard and then I couldn't do anything at all without sending my heart rate up, my face flushing, and feeling ill so I've taken a long road since then and been careful. Although, sometimes my heart rate is up and I feel fine, I think there is some correlation between when and what I eat but haven't figured out the perfect tweak yet, although the other day I had half a bagle, apple, and cheese and felt fabulous during my workout. I don't know if I just overloaded my adrenals or what, and of course there is the thyroid disease that screws up my temperature regulation. My levels are finally stabilized and I'm feeling pretty good but I'm anxious not to overdo things, as I've done that too many times.

exercise today will be at home as the kids do not have TKD, I'm going to do short lower body workout, bodyweight mostly (we'll see how it feels)

10k step minimum; might try to get in some biking or do an aerobics video? something short- maybe 20 min

1 mile brisk walk done

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Slache said:

I have not worked out at all this week and I'm averaging maybe 2.5K steps. Posting because I'm hoping it will make me feel bad enough to do something tomorrow morning. I'm not doing well but the lack of yoga/tai chi is pure laziness. Someone slap me.

No slaps, I hope today is a better day, make a small goal, no matter how small and keep it. 

9 hours ago, hshibley said:

I got in a 7 mile run this morning and a yoga class before lunch. 

I always wonder with cross fit how many injuries are caused by people pushing themselves too far due to the group atmosphere. I understand the atmosphere is positive and encouraging but I know for myself that would cause me to push too hard. 

I think the group atmosphere is certainly part of it, part of the reason I don't do group workouts because I have a tendency to push too hard anyway and I would without a doubt push over my limit if in a group class.

• Like 1