Menu

August Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

My place of work has a gym and my cheap employee membership includes classes. They work out at about £3 to £5 a class. I like Adrienne's classes on YouTube, but I don't have the self discipline to exercise at home.

Similar here, I have a membership at the gym by where the kids do TKD, dh's work subsidizes membership. I pay $8 a month they have a great weight room with cardio machines and the classes they have come with membership. Now before I used to workout exclusively at a yoga studio and at home, at the yoga studio they had class passes. As of late I've just been doing yoga on my own but my friend and I are planning on hitting a yoga class Monday night together.

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

This has been a good week.  I've averaged over 10,000 steps a day and only missed doing 10,000 one day. I've done two long and five short mindfulness sessions. Three Nordic walks and a bunch of brisk walks. Two yoga classes. Weight has stayed steady.

I recalibrated my maximum heart rate on my Fitbit half way through the week. It shows 170 minutes of cardio and peak combined. Sleep was a bit erratic. Okay on average but not very consistent.

This week one of my yoga teachers is away, so I'll try to force myself to do at least one session at home.

Tomorrow I'll spend most of the day in the garden.

WTG meeting your goals! Good luck getting yoga done at home on your own.

I lifted with my friend, I really, really didn't feel like working out at all but it was good as always with my friend. We talked about life, family, and fitness goals and plans. 

I need to get in some steps, so not feeling it today.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2019 at 4:55 PM, Laura Corin said:

Ended the day by scrubbing the shower. Bending, stretching.....

LOL, cleaning out the tubs and showers is always a workout!!

It's time for goals for the week. 

I realized talking to my friend that I'd been a bit hard on myself. Last week was full of stress with ds starting school and as Moms we take care of everything. Now this week ds will be really getting in the swing of school(and his schedule is still not exactly right which might mean another trip up there) and dh's college semester starts, putting even more on me. Along with that we have our first homeschool meeting(my group and I've still got some loose ends to tie up) and recruitment for my girl's Troop. Along, with of course schooling the girls and working Mon-Sat mornings. 

So, with that in mind I'm going for keeping steady and not adding anything on, except relaxing and self-care.

This week's goals:

-5 walks (short is fine- just want to get out the door and outside); 10k+ steps a day

-3 strength sessions and 1 session w/ some interval training of some sort

-1 yoga session/class (plan to go with my friend to a class Mon night but if that falls through at home on Wed)

-7 days mindfullness

-foam rolling and/or epsom salt bath on Wed.

I started today with sleeping in, and got about 9!! hours of sleep. I had some mindfulness this morning. Today we'll be doing some work outside, we've got a fence post to replace from a storm. I also need to get some meal prep done to prep for busy days and finish up laundry. That will be enough activity for me today! 

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

Goals for this week

Two sessions of yoga, one at home

At least two Nordic walks

Brisk walks and mindfulness every workday

Maintain weight

Lots of water drunk at weekend

ETA: lots of daily back stretches.  Worried that this back problem could become chronic.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6

This is back to school week, so I’m anticipating the pains of finding a new normal. I wish summer was always.

Goals:

3 pilates/barre classes

1 run

continue strict no dairy, no grains

lose 1-2lb

Exercise is going to be challenging because my Y is shutdown for the week. I’m doing a free trial of Class Pass and hoping I can patch something together. 

• Like 5

This last week I walked a total of 1/2 hour on Sunday, rowed on Monday, and did OT workouts T/W/Th/Sat.  Not entirely sure what this week will hold, as I still haven't heard what's up with rowing going forward.  I already have workouts scheduled at OT T/Th/Sat/Sun - if rowing falls through I will add M, W or maybe both.  Weight is pretty much holding steady.  My BMI at this point is 23, so decently in the healthy range, and my body fat percentage, while not great for a 20-something, also is apparently in a healthy range for 54-year-old me.  At this point I'm putting more focus on maybe readjusting that percentage lower (and adding muscle) than worrying about weight as an absolute number.

Goals, hmmm.. I would like to add some mindfulness, yoga and/or pilates, and something else outside, esp. if rowing doesn't continue.  I guess for next week, if any one of those happens on top of what I'm already doing would be a good goal.  And maybe to get 10K steps at least one day? (Yeah, that didn't happen this week...)  I'd say 10K every day, but I'd rather set achievable goals... one step at a time! 😄  I know myself enough that incremental goals are the only ones that have any hope of success...

• Like 6

Love reading everyone's goals, ITA with making them achievable.

I've got 10k steps in so far and a little walk this am helping dh.

I got dinner cooked for Tuesday night, my busiest night. I also browned some Italian turkey sausage for tomorrow night and a quinoa veggie salad.

Oh, and I wrote out my lifting workouts in a notebook so I can just enter weights and dates. I used to always write down my workouts but got out of the habit when I started with the trainer and my old notebook started falling apart.

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

A week and a half until we leave. I think my depression is improving, as is my back. I need to do some strength to tighten up, cardio to feel better and maintain my diet better for my mood. I've been getting about 500 steps a day but I hope to get back into the thousands this week.

• Like 7

Ok, so, I will take control over this week and not let the stress overwhelm me.

I will focus on one task at a time. 

Today I will tie up loose ends and kick butt with homeschooling (after 6 classes this am).

I have yoga planned with my friend this evening, I need to have things set up for the next day before I leave to set up for success on our busy Tuesday.

I have done 10 minutes of mindfulness and  then prayer and gratitude and started my day with 1k steps before teaching.

I will keep an eye out for stress eating, which crept in on me last week, I will continue to front load calories early in the day because that works best for me, focusing on nutrient dense foods.

I found out that the highschool has an awesome hot breakfast with lots of options so I'm just having ds eat there, which takes a big load off of my head. He gets there 40 minutes early so he has plenty of time to eat.

Edited by soror
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I danced, the neighbors called 911 because they thought I was seizing and I made my 5K step goal. Not a bad Monday.

I fasted breakfast, had tuna salad and broccoli slaw for lunch, a bunless burger for dinner wiff all da fixins, 2 cups of coffee, a Larabar and a gnat for a snack.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I sort of reached my goals last week with walking and tennis, though I didn't get in much biking or work-outs in the gym because of extra work days. 

This week I'm flying out to see my parents, sister and brother for a week. I'm hoping to do some kayaking and canoeing, and probably some walking. I will get in one tennis match before I leave, and I did some biking this evening. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Slache said:

I accidentally ate a gnat while getting the mail but felt it would be cheating not to mention it.

This is probably why I'm not losing weight.  I take in gnat calories while running!  The darned things fly in swarms and sometimes you can see them when the sun is hitting right, and sometimes you're just suddenly in a cloud of gnats with no way out but forward!

-----

REALLY enjoying the book Move Your DNA by Bowman.  Vey inspiring!  Actually causing me to rethink how and where we do our schoolwork and other tasks at home.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

This is probably why I'm not losing weight.  I take in gnat calories while running!  The darned things fly in swarms and sometimes you can see them when the sun is hitting right, and sometimes you're just suddenly in a cloud of gnats with no way out but forward!

-----

REALLY enjoying the book Move Your DNA by Bowman.  Vey inspiring!  Actually causing me to rethink how and where we do our schoolwork and other tasks at home.  

Loved Move Your DNA and Bowman but I'm far from her ideal, we have furniture 🙂

Slow Flow Yoga last night felt very, very good, it was my first outside class in ages and I mostly let my ego stay at the door. 

I just got in 10k steps and had to do way too many before bed to get it in, school ran long yesterday and I didn't have a proper lunch break but took turns schooling the girls.

Today's mantras, I am not stressed, I've got this! Be flexible, like the tree in the wind.

health and wellness checklist:

mindfulness (done)

walk

personal training upper body/pullup work

nap

10k steps

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

-----

Adding this to my to-read list!  I have a suspicion from reading the blurb on Goodreads that it might tell me why hitting those 10K steps is at least as important as getting my workouts in...

Have you also read Spark?  That's also on my to-read.  If you have, which would you suggest reading first?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

My Facebook health group is doing a new challenge. Each day for a week they want you to do a number of dolphin planks, scissor kicks and Russian twists. I’m going to attempt that today.

That sounds like  fun challenge!  Are dolphin planks a plank where you try to kick your butt?  And scissor kicks on side or back?  And how many of each?  Hey, I'm already in my workout clothes (that seems to be half the battle for me...).  I already made it to my OT workout this morning - lots of work on the Bosu, lots of rowing (machine), and lots of 1-minute all-outs (big hills!) on the treads.

I still get hung up on stretching. How long do you have to do it? Do you do it after walking so your muscles are warm?? I can’t get past that. I absolutely hate stretching. The other day, after a fitness center visit, I did a small amount of dynamic stretching but I didn’t know if I should time it or what. I just hate it so much, it’s just an annoying afterthought for me. Stretching before seems bad because muscles aren’t warm. 

I have heard that they've decided you should do dynamic stretching if your muscles haven't warmed up yet, and regular stretching after.  But how much?  Not sure. Probably more than I'm doing.  And I think the dynamic stretching before is more of a way to warm-up; I don't think it's considered necessary like they once said.  If you warm up by going slower to start doing whatever you're doing, I think that's also okay?  Someone who knows more than me should answer, lol!   I kinda like stretching; I always wish we did more of it at the end of an OT workout (they usually have us do a mix of stretches for - a few minutes?)  I do like that they build it in, because if even if I kinda like it, I'd never get to it if I had to remember to do it after I left...

• Like 2

Monday: 11k steps and 20 floors. My hospital volunteer job really gets me moving! I did eat both grain and dairy in the form of a bite of dd’s pesto panini but it was so worth it. 

Weigh in this morning has me (maybe) in the 140’s! Haven’t seen that 4 in about 5 years. It’s hard to tell because my scale is really crappy. I usually use the gym scale but my gym is closed this week so I won’t get an official weigh in till Monday. 

About to take my first pilates reformer class!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

@MatryoshkaI don't think I'd mind in a class setting where someone is pacing me and telling me what to do. On my own I just feel clueless Lol. 

They sent us videos of the exercises, but I saw two different versions of scissors. One you cross your legs horizontally like scissors (that's what the group was advertising) and one was more like vertical chopping motions. The dolphin plank looks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=yvX3srDp6dE&fbclid=IwAR0COyuKoeRjCrIPpRahmX4XyflvQN-1dgdiz6CpErFghjgqE-DohxTtDAc&app=desktop

Personally, I think that video is weird because her feet slide on the wood! I'm going to do it on an exercise mat. My friend just did it on her living room rug. I haven't done them yet, I may have terrible form starting out. And for the group, they are very lenient... just do your best, do what modifications you need, etc. So I don't think they care how you do the scissors, either. 

The number of each will jump up each day so I don't know what it will be tomorrow.
Today is listed: 
8 dolphin planks
12 scissors (each side)
12 Russian twists (each side)

I think the "each side" thing is confusing. I watched the video yesterday and the count yesterday was different. I didn't participate yesterday. My friend filmed herself during yesterday's challenge and counted each time a leg moved so she counted to 10, but it was what I would call 5 scissor moves. If that makes sense. So today you'd do 6 scissors and 6 Russian twists. She just counts each time she shifts sides on hers. I would count "one" after completing a full rotation maybe. 

Thank you!! The dolphin plank is quite different than I'd had in my head!  This got me off my duff and onto the floor to do these. 😊 Then while I was there, I tossed in some of my favorite (and not-so-favorite) Pilates moves - I started with a windmill (similar to the scissors but both horizontal and vertical), a bunch of roll-overs, then did a side-leg series on both sides, some Swan dive with catch (this is a move I love that no one else seems to!), and then, why not, the Hundred.  (links just in case anyone wonders what the heck I'm talking about with these)  Not a full routine, but way more than I would have done!  And I'd already done some core work at OT this morning...

I have noticed that doing my cardio workout in the morning gives me more energy and makes me want to move more for the rest of the day.  In the winter, I do almost all of my workouts i the mornings, but this summer I've done all the weekday ones in the afternoon because rowing is in the evening and I figured I didn't want to do a workout the morning after rowing... but having done one this morning, I really do see a difference...

• Like 2

Walking done inside due to heat advisory. Training at the gym went well, still not where I want to be but I can see that I'm recovering from my injury and starting towards progress again. 

13k steps

10 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Adding this to my to-read list!  I have a suspicion from reading the blurb on Goodreads that it might tell me why hitting those 10K steps is at least as important as getting my workouts in...

Have you also read Spark?  That's also on my to-read.  If you have, which would you suggest reading first?

I've read both and their both motivating and great reads. I read Spark more recently so it is more in my brain and I'd recommend it first but that could be just because it is fresher. Spark does a great job laying out the research of all the areas that exercise helps Move Your DNA is more oriented towards motivation for natural movement, not just exercise.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

They are both good.  Spark gets quite technical, but in a good way, and my big take-away was about how much exercise impacts us cognitively.  I know the book was about more than just that, but it was a big revelation for me.  Move Your DNA calls out the exercising couch potato (that would be me) for what it is: taking vitamins instead of eating whole foods (her metaphor).  

They are both great, so I think you will have to choose with a coin-toss!

I'm going to try Bowman's Whole Body Barefoot next, but I'll go kindle instead of audible because listening to descriptions of stretches and releases without any diagrams is difficult!  

I need to find a good long fiction book for audible next... any suggestions?  

• Like 4

Monday - 1 hour elliptical and foam rolling 

Tuesday - 5 mile run strength training and foam rolling 

eating has been going well so far this week. 

My ds has xc practice at 7 am during the summer so I’ve been running at 5:00 am in order to get back home to drive him to practice. However with my hip bothering me I’ve discovered I run better if I’m up an hour or so before running. So I’ve been running after his practice. It’s hot as blazes but I’m getting my runs in. Today I’m hoping for 7 miles. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

They are both good.  Spark gets quite technical, but in a good way, and my big take-away was about how much exercise impacts us cognitively.  I know the book was about more than just that, but it was a big revelation for me.  Move Your DNA calls out the exercising couch potato (that would be me) for what it is: taking vitamins instead of eating whole foods (her metaphor).  

They are both great, so I think you will have to choose with a coin-toss!

I'm going to try Bowman's Whole Body Barefoot next, but I'll go kindle instead of audible because listening to descriptions of stretches and releases without any diagrams is difficult!  

I need to find a good long fiction book for audible next... any suggestions?  

I'm wanting to read her Dynamic Aging, although I've got a while before I'm 50 🙂 I think you would enjoy Let Your Mind Run a lot.

2 hours ago, hshibley said:

Monday - 1 hour elliptical and foam rolling 

Tuesday - 5 mile run strength training and foam rolling 

eating has been going well so far this week. 

My ds has xc practice at 7 am during the summer so I’ve been running at 5:00 am in order to get back home to drive him to practice. However with my hip bothering me I’ve discovered I run better if I’m up an hour or so before running. So I’ve been running after his practice. It’s hot as blazes but I’m getting my runs in. Today I’m hoping for 7 miles. 

That is very good news for your hip, too bad about the heat, it is the same here.

Today's plan an actual walk outside since my schedule is not so busy I can get out before it is so hot and foam rolling and light yoga.

I need to increase food a bit as I'm finding myself reaching for more snacks.

Oh, I noticed my shorts are getting too baggy last night, I've lost a fair amount of size and weight this summer but hadn't worn these shorts in awhile. I need to see if I can find a few more pairs that fit me well.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

Thursday morning check-in:  2 runs so far this week, with another planned for this evening, so I should be on target for 5 total.  Yesterday, DS and I ran a "fast 5k", which was his first ever "fast" run.  Typically, I use my HR to keep us in my zone 2.   Our pace was about 2 min/mile faster than our easy pace, so that was great!  He did a great job.  I have a lot of experience, even though it's not recent, of running hard and being miserable and knowing the misery doesn't really get worse as you go, it just stays steady.  He had to just accept that on faith, and I saw he wanted to stop several times and didn't.  Hooray!  I think without him, I could have gone a  tiny bit faster, but I've decided to resign myself to having my entire rest-of-my-life to run without my kids, and to embrace "team exercise" while they are willing to be with me.  LOL.  I still get in a few solo runs each week...  

I also set a 2 minutes per day plank goal, and my goal is to do 2 minutes however I can.  Currently, I'm doing 4x30s.  And I'm sore!  So that was a necessary add in.  

After Move Your DNA, I've also added in rhomboid pushups to try to keep my upper back in alignment and avoid nerd neck.  Those feel really good, as you move between a contraction and a relaxation position, so it almost feels more like a stretch than an exercise.  

Also from Move Your DNA, I am improving my squat form, which is shocking, because I've always felt I have a very good squat form, but I do have to turn my feet way out to a sumo squat to go fully down.  Now I'm using a rolled yoga mat to elevate my heels, which allows me to keep my toes essentially forward and go all the way down.  I just hang out at the bottom of the squat for a while, then unroll the mat a bit and do it again, and so on, until I can for a few seconds be fully down, with toes forward and nothing under my heels.  I feel the tension in my shins of all places when I do this!  So I'll keep doing this a few times a day.  I even squatted in the kitchen to peel vegetables, placing the cutting board on the floor, cave-woman style yesterday just to see how it felt.  LOL

Found a long book for my sole runs, walks, housework:  Shogun - 53 hours on audible!  LOL, that should keep me occupied.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Ugh, rowing got cancelled again because of a severe thunderstorm warning,  but I was able to sign up for an OT class last-minute instead.  Strength and Endurance today, lots of low reps/ heavy weights on the floor and long pieces on the treads.

Lots of thunderstorms here, great job finding a back-up plan and working out anyway.

4 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Thursday morning check-in:  2 runs so far this week, with another planned for this evening, so I should be on target for 5 total.  Yesterday, DS and I ran a "fast 5k", which was his first ever "fast" run.  Typically, I use my HR to keep us in my zone 2.   Our pace was about 2 min/mile faster than our easy pace, so that was great!  He did a great job.  I have a lot of experience, even though it's not recent, of running hard and being miserable and knowing the misery doesn't really get worse as you go, it just stays steady.  He had to just accept that on faith, and I saw he wanted to stop several times and didn't.  Hooray!  I think without him, I could have gone a  tiny bit faster, but I've decided to resign myself to having my entire rest-of-my-life to run without my kids, and to embrace "team exercise" while they are willing to be with me.  LOL.  I still get in a few solo runs each week...  

I also set a 2 minutes per day plank goal, and my goal is to do 2 minutes however I can.  Currently, I'm doing 4x30s.  And I'm sore!  So that was a necessary add in.  

After Move Your DNA, I've also added in rhomboid pushups to try to keep my upper back in alignment and avoid nerd neck.  Those feel really good, as you move between a contraction and a relaxation position, so it almost feels more like a stretch than an exercise.  

Also from Move Your DNA, I am improving my squat form, which is shocking, because I've always felt I have a very good squat form, but I do have to turn my feet way out to a sumo squat to go fully down.  Now I'm using a rolled yoga mat to elevate my heels, which allows me to keep my toes essentially forward and go all the way down.  I just hang out at the bottom of the squat for a while, then unroll the mat a bit and do it again, and so on, until I can for a few seconds be fully down, with toes forward and nothing under my heels.  I feel the tension in my shins of all places when I do this!  So I'll keep doing this a few times a day.  I even squatted in the kitchen to peel vegetables, placing the cutting board on the floor, cave-woman style yesterday just to see how it felt.  LOL

Found a long book for my sole runs, walks, housework:  Shogun - 53 hours on audible!  LOL, that should keep me occupied.  

How nice to run with your son, I do a lot of walks with the kids and really enjoy it, even though it obviously slows me down. My son and I ran a 5/6k together one year, he just beat me, although he probably could have went faster I think he wanted to stay close. I should pull out Move Your DNA again to look at the exercises again, I'm sure there is some things (lots of them) I'm forgetting. I used to sit in a low squat 30 min a day but have gotten very lazy with that.

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm managing some lunchtime walking errands, but all evening every evening is spent on preparing the house for viewing. Oh well, it's activity of a kind.

I know it is frustrating to be so busy, but you are right it is activity of a kind and the goal of our exercise is to be able to do the activity of life, so that is a win.

I did a walk, 11k total steps, and some foam rolling yesterday. 

Today is full body strength training at the gym w/ some intervals at the end (and of course stretching), 10k+ steps.

My current 7 day step average is 11k, trying to inch that up.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

Did a barre class yesterday. Have another one this morning. 

Ate ice cream. It was an end of summer, last minute outing with my kids. While I don’t regret it, it didn’t settle very well. I’m experimenting with dairy right now to see how my body responds. I’ll take a few days off now and observe. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, sassenach said:

Did a barre class yesterday. Have another one this morning. 

Ate ice cream. It was an end of summer, last minute outing with my kids. While I don’t regret it, it didn’t settle very well. I’m experimenting with dairy right now to see how my body responds. I’ll take a few days off now and observe. 

Sorry the ice cream left you feeling icky. 😞

I lifted full body at the gym last night, forgot my notebook so mixed up a bit what I had planned but I got full body and intervals on the recumbent bike. I just got in 10k steps.

I don't think I'll have any official exercise today and I really don't even know what I'll do yet b/c my plans look like they will be changing. I guess we'll see!

• Like 4

Barre is hard between the room temperature and the isolated tiny movements ugh 😑

I ran 7 miles Wednesday (1 good solid mile and then the next 6 on the struggle bus. In the end I was happy I got them in). Thursday 3 miles and strength training. Today’s my rest day. I’m hoping to run 12 tomorrow I’ve just got to figure out when to start. I’m debating between 4:30 am and 5:00 am 😭. I’m ready for fall. 

• Like 4

Add me to the sore party.  I've been transitioning to barefooting and minimalist shoes (just walking right now, but with hopes of moving to barefoot running after a while), and my feet are sore!  I also spent a couple hours over the last two days at the skate park with the kids.  Some of them scooter, and some of them, and I, just climb on the ramps.  Today I spent a lot of time walking on a narrow rail barefoot for balance and stability practice, and I think that really wore my feet out.  Went out for a run tonight, but after a quarter mile I could tell I wasn't loosening up, so turned and walked home.  

Keeping up with my planks and rhomboid pushups!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Add me to the sore party.  I've been transitioning to barefooting and minimalist shoes (just walking right now, but with hopes of moving to barefoot running after a while), and my feet are sore!  

What are the advantages of barefoot running? Would you road run barefoot or trail run? Are you concerned about stepping on glass etc while running?

I got out the door by 4:30 this morning and got my 12 miles in. I’m looking forward to a nap this afternoon 😁

• Like 2

On 8/18/2019 at 7:24 AM, soror said:

This week's goals:

-5 walks (short is fine- just want to get out the door and outside); 10k+ steps a day

-3 strength sessions and 1 session w/ some interval training of some sort

-1 yoga session/class (plan to go with my friend to a class Mon night but if that falls through at home on Wed)

-7 days mindfullness

-foam rolling and/or epsom salt bath on Wed.

5 walks done, none long at all but I did walk and I've got 10k steps so far, just have today left and I will get them in.

3 strength sessions done 2 w/ intervals

(just finished last one in 35 minutes between classes I'm doing lower sets higher reps right now so it is quicker, I made it back downstairs at 30 seconds until class!) Today I did jumprope intervals, Thursday was recumbent bike.

1 yoga class with friend

5 days of mindfulness so far and WILL get a session today

foam rolling on Wed.

I'm so glad I set my goals modestly because this week was so busy and stressful and I'm glad for the win. I do think I handled the stress a bit better than usual but there is room for improvement. I did have some stress eating(too much chocolate and 1.5 gf donuts yesterday) and I'm still working to find the sweet spot of maintenance, which is more difficult to do while stressed. One day at a time and focus on improvements and preparing for success. So, I need to do better at planning food and getting some prepped. I did prep some last Sunday and I certainly would have done worse without it but I need to up my game in this busier season. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Did 36 min on exercise bike and 20 on treadmill. I’m getting close to finishing my book. It really helps pass the time on the bike. Listened to an audio book on the treadmill. I would have stayed a bit longer but I went late at night. I’m not sure if I’ll have time to go tomorrow. I’ll be gone a big chuck of the day. 

Good for you!

18 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Add me to the sore party.  I've been transitioning to barefooting and minimalist shoes (just walking right now, but with hopes of moving to barefoot running after a while), and my feet are sore!  I also spent a couple hours over the last two days at the skate park with the kids.  Some of them scooter, and some of them, and I, just climb on the ramps.  Today I spent a lot of time walking on a narrow rail barefoot for balance and stability practice, and I think that really wore my feet out.  Went out for a run tonight, but after a quarter mile I could tell I wasn't loosening up, so turned and walked home.  

Keeping up with my planks and rhomboid pushups!

Be careful transitioning to barefoot, if you're not used to it, I've seen plenty end up injured, slow and steady is the name of the game. I didn't have too rough of a go but never wore very thick shoes and preferred barefoot. I was militant about it for awhile but now I vacillate. I have my Merrell Vapor Gloves that are uber minimal (but I've worn a hole in- this is my 2nd or 3rd pair after moving on from 5 fingers) but have some Nike and Fila that are low profile but not strictly minimal. I've found that no matter how much I walked some trails were better with some thickness in the sole, like ones covered with random poky rocks and sticks.

10 minutes ago, hshibley said:

What are the advantages of barefoot running? Would you road run barefoot or trail run? Are you concerned about stepping on glass etc while running?

I got out the door by 4:30 this morning and got my 12 miles in. I’m looking forward to a nap this afternoon 😁

Ya for you getting up early and getting it done, how did it feel today?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, hshibley said:

There are no direct advantages to running, per se.  Most people run slower barefoot than shod, and for shorter distance.  The idea of being barefoot, or minimalist in shoes is for overall health for the whole muscle-skeletal system.  Most standard running shoes have a significant drop from the heel to the toe, which is bad for alignment.  In addition, running on shoes with a cushioned heel and significant drop allows the runner to "lazily" heel strike with no thought to impact force.  Barefoot running almost forces a very soft, mid foot strike pattern, which seems to be what our foot is built for.  

I'm not overly concerned about stepping on glass or other sharp things.  In the barefoot forum I read, this seems to be an incredibly rare occurrence.  But I recently bought a pair of sandals that are basically just pieces of rubber tread with straps to hold them on.   These would greatly reduce any danger from stepping on an object.  They give just enough protection that I can walk on grave without painl, which I can't barefoot.  

But really, I'm trying this for reasons of philosophy and self-experimentation.  I've dabbled in many of the new "paleo/primal" trends and I enjoy trying weird things.  🙂  

@soror I ended up buying the Whole Body Barefoot book by Katy Bowman, which is supposed to be instructions on how to transition safely.  I can definitely feel I need to be more cautious even than what I have been thus far.  I haven't done any running in my bare feet, just worn my barefoot sandals around town, but even that has probably been too much, too quickly.  I figured it would be ok since I am barefoot most of the day, but wandering around the house barefoot and walking to the store barefoot are apparently not the same thing!  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Oh, and I don't think I'd run barefoot on a trail... I'm much more afraid of pokey/thorny plant matter than I am of broken glass.  But I could, at some distant time, imagine running trails in the xero sandals I got.  

33 minutes ago, Slache said:

I wear xero shoes for my back and it makes a big difference.

45 minutes ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

But really, I'm trying this for reasons of philosophy and self-experimentation.  I've dabbled in many of the new "paleo/primal" trends and I enjoy trying weird things.  🙂  

@soror I ended up buying the Whole Body Barefoot book by Katy Bowman, which is supposed to be instructions on how to transition safely.  I can definitely feel I need to be more cautious even than what I have been thus far.  I haven't done any running in my bare feet, just worn my barefoot sandals around town, but even that has probably been too much, too quickly.  I figured it would be ok since I am barefoot most of the day, but wandering around the house barefoot and walking to the store barefoot are apparently not the same thing!  

My 2 - 5ks were both done in minimal shoes and I ran some in my minimalist, Luna sandals (not a ton as I'm just not much of a runner). I run faster in minimalist shoes, although I'm still slow. I had the Luna's until I wore those out too( I guess I'm hard on shoes), I had them a few years and wore them ALL the time so they got a lot of use. This year I ended up buying some basic sandals from Academy as $100 Luna's were not in the budget, they are similar although they are not quite minimalist the $15 price tag fit my current budget. I liked the Luna's because they had been used to run a really rough trail race (Leadville) so I knew they would work for my needs too and they are inspired by the very cool book, Born to Run.  

I used to be in deep with Paleo and Primal but Sisson has jumped onto the Keto bandwagon so hard it is a shadow of it was before. I am very pissy about ultra low carb taking over as I think it is an extremist fad (for 1 thing) and does not work for women's bodies the way it does for men. I did low carb and VLC for a good chunk, not anymore. Especially, as someone with thyroid disease super low carb is not good for thyroid function. But I do like the focus on natural movement and the original focus on Primal as they emphasized good sleep, stress reduction, and lots of walking.

I'm doing a bit of greasing the groove today, a pull-up on the hour, every hour. We'll see how it feels tomorrow. If it goes ok I'll probably try it again next week but I absolutely do not want to do it every day, I'm prone to overuse injuries as it is so I'm *trying* to be careful, it is always a fine line trying to push for gains but not so far I injure myself.

• Like 2

She has some serious grip strength!!!  Are you now able to do full pull-ups? I can't remember where in your pull-up process you are.  

I agree that I wish primal hadn't gone keto.  I think Sissom's original "carb curve" was a good guideline, and made more sense for long-term health.  While I have done keto on-and-off, I found I CRAVED healthy carbs- sweet potatoes, lentils, etc, while on it.  And- for me- I just couldn't maintain it, too restrictive.  

I am really annoyed right now about my weight.  I realize that it comes down to A + B = C with weight, so clearly I am eating to make up my running calories... but how can I go from running 1-2x a week max to running 20-25 mile weeks and have my weight not budge AT ALL?  I don't feel like I'm eating more, but... I must be.  I no longer think keto is my answer, but I know I do well with IF and just need to rediscipline myself to a restricted time window.   Probably time to do a food log and take an honest look, but I know I can't be a calorie counter long-term.  

Got in my 5k easy run today.  It definitely helped to loosen up my legs!  I've been running in a combo of Altras (zero drop) and Nike Free RN (low drop) for a while now.  The Altras have spoiled me to the point where I don't like the Nike's much anymore... I love having toe-room!  

• Like 3

On 8/18/2019 at 1:46 PM, Laura Corin said:

Goals for this week

Two sessions of yoga, one at home

At least two Nordic walks

Maintain weight

ETA: lots of daily back stretches.  Worried that this back problem could become chronic.

Well..... Due to house viewing panic, that went to hell in a handbasket. What l did manage:

One yoga session; four mindfulness sessions, some of them a good length; no Nordic walking; five lunchtime walks of varying intensities plus one dog walk; slight drop in weight; better weekend water drinking; 8,000 steps per day, many of them involved with house cleaning and clearing; some back stretching and making an appointment to see my workplace occupational health advisor.

My yoga class substitute teacher on Monday normally teaches Pilates. She has a true Pilates class starting in September, so I might join that to shake things up. I used to do Pilates about fifteen years ago.

I did find time to read/skim Ageless Body https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ageless-Body-Years-Achieve-Better-ebook/dp/B0188PG566. It was pretty good, I think. I would recommend it for someone who has no idea how to start eating and exercising more healthily, as it includes schedules for both.

One thing that made sense was to aim for one whole-grain-based  meal a day (oats, brown rice, etc.) And the rest of the meals based on lean protein and veg. That's roughly what I do anyway, but I often fail to rebalance if I have eggs and salad for breakfast. The book also helped me to analyse my exercise balance and aim to reintroduce simple upper body weights work.

Goals for this week:

Two hours of yoga/pilates

At least two Nordic walks (40 minutes each)

Five minutes with weights three times

Maintain weight

Lots of daily back stretches.  Visit to occupational health dept.

Have a great week!

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

She has some serious grip strength!!!  Are you now able to do full pull-ups? I can't remember where in your pull-up process you are.  

I agree that I wish primal hadn't gone keto.  I think Sissom's original "carb curve" was a good guideline, and made more sense for long-term health.  While I have done keto on-and-off, I found I CRAVED healthy carbs- sweet potatoes, lentils, etc, while on it.  And- for me- I just couldn't maintain it, too restrictive.  

I am really annoyed right now about my weight.  I realize that it comes down to A + B = C with weight, so clearly I am eating to make up my running calories... but how can I go from running 1-2x a week max to running 20-25 mile weeks and have my weight not budge AT ALL?  I don't feel like I'm eating more, but... I must be.  I no longer think keto is my answer, but I know I do well with IF and just need to rediscipline myself to a restricted time window.   Probably time to do a food log and take an honest look, but I know I can't be a calorie counter long-term.  

Got in my 5k easy run today.  It definitely helped to loosen up my legs!  I've been running in a combo of Altras (zero drop) and Nike Free RN (low drop) for a while now.  The Altras have spoiled me to the point where I don't like the Nike's much anymore... I love having toe-room!  

I can do pull-ups on the door bar but not at a dead hang. In July, I was a few inches away from chin over the bar but hurt my shoulder and am slowly working my way back up. I'd thought since I could do them from the floor that once I mastered getting out of the bottom of the hang I'd glide right up, no I've had to work for every inch. I've built naturally with small shoulders and wide hips (hips are 11 in wider than waist), it has been so much work. I think last Tues my first go I was about 4 inches from chin over the bar. I've got to work on my attitude because after getting knocked down yet again it has been very, very hard not to be discouraged.  I know my grip strength is decent but those hanging things scared me at the Ninja gym, I like the bars you can hang from. 1 thing at a time though!

I know I have so much trouble not eating more when I do lots of cardio. I did really well on very low carb for a good while, until I didn't. I dropped the weight after baby #3 and felt AMAZING but it is a stress on the body and not good for the thyroid, that combined with 4 pregnancies and by pregnancy number 4 my thyroid gave up. You might need to tweak your macros. Have you read Roar? She gives a lot of detailed info on food for training and works with endurance athletes. 

5 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

45 min on the bike tonight and almost done with my book (I read while I bike). 

Was going to save this pumpkin purée to make the protein pancakes I read about in another thread but Dh made a pumpkin pie tonight. So I think I ate whatever calories I burned! 

Good job on the bike! LOL on the pie! I need to make some more pancakes but I'm out of cottage cheese!

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Well..... Due to house viewing panic, that went to hell in a handbasket. What l did manage:

One yoga session; four mindfulness sessions, some of them a good length; no Nordic walking; five lunchtime walks of varying intensities plus one dog walk; slight drop in weight; better weekend water drinking; 8,000 steps per day, many of them involved with house cleaning and clearing; some back stretching and making an appointment to see my workplace occupational health advisor.

My yoga class substitute teacher on Monday normally teaches Pilates. She has a true Pilates class starting in September, so I might join that to shake things up. I used to do Pilates about fifteen years ago.

I did find time to read/skim Ageless Body https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ageless-Body-Years-Achieve-Better-ebook/dp/B0188PG566. It was pretty good, I think. I would recommend it for someone who has no idea how to start eating and exercising more healthily, as it includes schedules for both.

One thing that made sense was to aim for one whole-grain-based  meal a day (oats, brown rice, etc.) And the rest of the meals based on lean protein and veg. That's roughly what I do anyway, but I often fail to rebalance if I have eggs and salad for breakfast. The book also helped me to analyse my exercise balance and aim to reintroduce simple upper body weights work.

Goals for this week:

Two hours of yoga/pilates

At least two Nordic walks (40 minutes each)

Five minutes with weights three times

Maintain weight

Lots of daily back stretches.  Visit to occupational health dept.

Have a great week!

You know some weeks are like that but you got in what you could and it is not like you were sitting around doing nothing. I'm sorry to hear the back is still bothering you, I hope OT can help. I've only sporadically done any pilates and only floor classes, they have some classes on the reformer at my former studio but they were really expensive and I found them intimidating. What's the update with the house? Did you get it viewed?

I should put something about weight on mine as well, I'm up a bit now. Not sure how much is soreness(because I'm a bit sore all over) and how much from indulgences but I'm aiming to get back down to the lower end of my weight range, that's what maintaining is all about though, balancing the weight. I guess that will be every week. I had planned to keep my range from 122-124 but after forever of being stuck I was able to lose and maintain 120's-122's, so I'm aiming to stay there. The fall is when I tend to gain weight so I plan to stay vigilant, it seems like I've finally got in a groove with my eating and exercise, I feel like I've got a good handle on it. BUT every fall since being diagnosed with thyroid disease I've gained. Now, last fall I only gained 5 pounds or so as I finally found a maintenance level of medication last spring but I'd really like to stay in range this year and not have to mess with losing weight, it's no fun at all.

My carb intake had increased this week and not good carbs, fruits and veggies were down. I plan to prep some veggies for salads, snacks, and meals today. I might start posting daily food plans just to make myself think about it more clearly, I've been doing too much winging it with being busy. 

Yesterday I ended up doing 3 sprints aka races with the kids. My dd1 beat me!!! Now, ds has been able to beat me for awhile but this is the first time dd has. I see a golden opportunity, once a week races so I get in some once a week sprints.

this week's goals:

• 5+ days walks 
  • 10k+ daily steps; aim to maintain or surpass current 7 day avg of 11k
  • 3 strength training sessions- 2 w/ intervals
  • 1 yoga session; 30 min+(class or do video at home)
  • foam rolling or epsom salt bath on Wednesday
  • sprints aka races with the girls 
  • daily mindfulness 
  • plan food
  • Like 5

No exercise today, expect walking and maybe light yoga or foam rolling to help with soreness.

food for today:

steel cut oats (plain) w/ unsweet cashew milk, banana, and peanut butter; turkey sausage

greek chicken wrap- baked chicken, gf spinach wrap, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onion, and feta w/ extra veggies on the side- drizzle of evoo, balsamic vinegar, and homemade everything seasoning

roasted whole chicken w/ garlic; baked sweet potato topped w/ cinnamon, roasted green beans

snacks; unsweet almond milk, plain yogurt, berries, and spinach smoothie;  homemade guac w/ a serving of tortilla chips 🙂 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, soror said:

You know some weeks are like that but you got in what you could and it is not like you were sitting around doing nothing. I'm sorry to hear the back is still bothering you, I hope OT can help. I've only sporadically done any pilates and only floor classes, they have some classes on the reformer at my former studio but they were really expensive and I found them intimidating. What's the update with the house? Did you get it viewed?

Three sets of people came round - which I believe is all the 'urgent' cases that the agent had on his books.  Otherwise, we are putting it on the market for the new season in February.  Two sets of people seem possible - both are used to dealing with larger pieces of land.  The third set of people was enthusiastic but simultaneously nervous about the undertaking.  I think they liked the location but would prefer something smaller.  It's good if they recognise that at this stage.  We haven't had any feedback yet, so we aren't making any assumptions.

My sister runs a Pilates studio for yummy mummies in Clapham, south London.  She doesn't teach matwork, only reformer.  I've only ever done matwork , which this class would be too(I've never lived near her as an adult), but I do like the stress on core in Pilates.

The Occupational Health may send me for a course of free physio.  They also might recommend a standing desk, which my boss might be willing to find the budget for.  Lots of people are retiring/thinking of retiring in my department, so I think he's keen to keep hold of me...  I'm currently the youngest administrator apart from him!

ETA: today will be functional fitness.  Fifteen minutes forcing a new seal onto a curved shower door (done) followed by a long time with younger son pulling ivy off the roof before the surveyor comes; husband has tweaked his back and is in a worse state than I. We wanted to do it earlier in the year, but flowering shrubs meant there were too many bees and wasps.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

Would you get sick of the standing desk? Seems like it would make feet ache. I got plantar fasciitis when I was at a standing job... although that was more shoe related. 

What I need is variety, according to my physio. The desk would have a motor, so that I could stand for half the day and sit for half the day. Honestly, I'd rather sit, but I'd much rather not have a sore back. 

I spent a couple of hours with my son pulling and cutting ivy off the roofs. It was strenuous, but my back feels better than after a day at the office. Cleared roof:

IMG_20190825_182355479_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

@Laura Corin My DH has a motorized stand/sit desk and has just recently begun using it in to stand part time at work.  Another way to mix things up is to bring in a big exercise ball.  Part time normal chair, part time standing, part time sitting on the ball...   

-------------

I did pretty well on goals this week.  4 out of 5 runs, but I did do a 13k hike with the family today instead of a run.  Planks and rhomboid pushups every day.  Did not do as well as usual on my salad-for-lunch, I think I only did 2 out of 7.  Some climbing around at the skate park, barefoot practice, stretching, foam rolling.  7 day step average: 12k

----------

Next week's goals:

- Food diary, no intentional modifications, just getting a feel for what I'm eating

- 5 runs

- Continue 2 min planks and rhomboid pushups

- squatting practice (the down position, not reps)

- continue barefooting transition work

- begin hanging... I'm not sure what is reasonable here- 10 seconds? x 5?  I'll play it by ear.  

Work on the mantra from Atomic Habits:  Never miss a Monday workout, Never miss two workouts in a row.  

• Like 5