Menu

Need help.. I failed at hailing Lyft.

PrincessMommy

I'm up in Philly helping with my newest granddaughter and her parents.    My grand plan was to take the train and then Lyft to the house from the station.   I'm hoping this will work for multiple visits over the years instead of driving myself.

So I arrive at the train station in Philly - which is a major hub- (30th Street Station).  I go outside to hail Lyft (first time ever doing this).  I see lots of options, so I pick one.  The message I get is "Are you sure you want this Lyft, you have a long walk to your pick-up".  Eeek!  I'm in a new city so I have no idea what that means or how far it really is to my pick up destination?  I back out of that screen.  I try another one and get the same message.  I see several empty Lyft and Uber drivers pass by me while I'm struggling with this  (I'm in the pick-up and drop off area).  I move a little away from there.  Same problem.  It's raining, I'm flustered and frustrated,  then a taxi offers to give me a ride, which I take.  It cost me 2x as much, but I did arrive.

What did I do wrong??!!   I want to be able to do this.   If I had said "yes" to that first ride, how much hand-holding do I get when I'm in a strange city?  

Edited to add: I was also texting my dd at home, who has used Lyft a lot.  She was no help with her, "I don't know why you can't figure this out, Mom."  attitude.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did you set the pin for your location? Sometimes you need to do that. Yes, some places (Disney parks, busy places) have specified pick ups. If you find that specified pick up first (by asking), then make your uber/lyft request from there. That way your pin is set right. The app will sometimes let you make a request before you get to the pickup. Or if you entered a pickup location instead of using the pin, that can get you. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Did you set the pin for your location? Sometimes you need to do that. Yes, some places (Disney parks, busy places) have specified pick ups. If you find that specified pick up first (by asking), then make your uber/lyft request from there. That way your pin is set right. The app will sometimes let you make a request before you get to the pickup. Or if you entered a pickup location instead of using the pin, that can get you. 

I think I set a pin, it did search for my location. I had the little photo map of where I was with cars moving around with a list of available Lyfts & prices below that   I didn't do it ahead of time because I was unfamiliar with where I was going and didn't know if there were two (or three) entrances, pick up places, etc. since it was a major hub, rather than something small like a McDonalds.    Now that I'm a bit more familar, I may try it next time.

@Indigo Blue - thank you.  I knew someone here would understand.  

• Like 3

My husband drives for Uber and Lyft. It is not uncommon for people to wave him down, get in the car and have him help them with the app. As soon as it's set up he is the closest person and automatically gets the ride and the passenger is already in the car. Many Uber and Lyft drivers will also take cash which is against policy. You pay less than you would pay Uber or Lyft and they make more than they would make from the ride.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

Many Uber and Lyft drivers will also take cash which is against policy.

Yup, I had drivers in FL try that. Sometimes on a long ride they would offer a lower price. Or they'll give a business card saying to call them for the airport trip. I'm thinking, hello, if I do that I don't have the app tracking me to know I'm safe!

20 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yup, I had drivers in FL try that. Sometimes on a long ride they would offer a lower price. Or they'll give a business card saying to call them for the airport trip. I'm thinking, hello, if I do that I don't have the app tracking me to know I'm safe!

Yes, that's a big issue for me. If I go missing in the middle of a Lyft ride we probably know who it was. If you get caught taking cash you will lose your ability to drive for them. That is a risk our family cannot take. I do have to say, I like the business card for a trip to the airport idea!

Eta: You can accept cash tips. He's also been gifted fast food and liquor. :blink:

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Slache said:

My husband drives for Uber and Lyft. It is not uncommon for people to wave him down, get in the car and have him help them with the app. As soon as it's set up he is the closest person and automatically gets the ride and the passenger is already in the car. Many Uber and Lyft drivers will also take cash which is against policy. You pay less than you would pay Uber or Lyft and they make more than they would make from the ride.

I asked my son if I could have flagged down the Lyft or Uber driver and he said it wasn't a "thing"  

Also, I thought tips were included in the overall price?  That's what another son told me when I asked him if he had enough money for an Uber tip recently.  Did we do something wrong!?!  Oops.

17 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

I asked my son if I could have flagged down the Lyft or Uber driver and he said it wasn't a "thing"  

Also, I thought tips were included in the overall price?  That's what another son told me when I asked him if he had enough money for an Uber tip recently.  Did we do something wrong!?!  Oops.

Flag them down! They want the money. They'll be happy to help! Tips are not included but not expected.

• Like 1

Even if you put in the exact address, they might be around the corner or across the street.  Or if you just let it pick your stop based on what it senses as your location, it might be a whole block off.  You do need to reset your pin sometimes.  You can drag it to where you specifically are.  Do you know how to do that?  You can also notify your driver.  You can send him a message and say "I'm at the east entrance of the train station."  Or, if you can't find him, you can contact him and ask him where he is.  I think it gives you the option to message the driver or call.

• Like 1

I take Lyft all the time and I've never in my life seen that message. That's totally weird. So even as a longtime Lyfter, that would have flummoxed me too.

I'll tell you... here, I would not be so sure that they'll take your cash. They've booted my kids out for breaking the policy on a few occasions (yes, I know, but we break the rules). And twice I've known of crazy Lyft swap situations where instead of just taking the ride to the location they wanted to go to, they insisted on putting them into the one they originally chose on the app. So... some of those drivers are sticklers. I'd also just be a little uncomfortable doing it. It would mean  there's no tracking by the app.

I'm guessing this issue was unique to your weird pickup location. Have you tried again anywhere else?

• Like 2

We have never had that message but I have not used them all that much.  But the first time we did, we were in New Orleans in an area that could have been just like what you describe--- many potential meeting points.  We had no such message and even though we did not have an English speaking driver- he was a Cuban refugee and spoke Spanish, we had zero issues communicating and he was a great driver and very hospitable.  Our second ride was not good-  a woman who decided to get into a political rant because we asked how traffic was on this President's Day weekend and also was speeding, cursing out drivers, and generally rude.  But all the rest of the ones I have had or my dh has had were absolutely fine with no more hostile behavior.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

Our second ride was not good-  a woman who decided to get into a political rant because we asked how traffic was on this President's Day weekend and also was speeding, cursing out drivers, and generally rude. 

Oh wow, I hope you left a scathing review! I've used uber/lyft a moderate amount, and usually the drivers are either friendly (wanting those good reviews!) or completely silent. Personally I'm cool with both. But the rants, that would be a huge negative and get bad reviews from me.

There's also a gig with uber/lyft where certain types of riders tip well and others don't. I try to tip well, just saying. Of course I'm also usually bringing a medical stroller or tons of bags or something else that's a pain in the butt. But I just think it can be a hard profession and that under-tipping doesn't make it good for the next person. So like that rude driver may have had some really poor tippers just making her day more rough. My dh is nicer than I am and he'll tip well servers who are having a hard day just to turn their attitude around.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Oh wow, I hope you left a scathing review! I've used uber/lyft a moderate amount, and usually the drivers are either friendly (wanting those good reviews!) or completely silent. Personally I'm cool with both. But the rants, that would be a huge negative and get bad reviews from me.

There's also a gig with uber/lyft where certain types of riders tip well and others don't. I try to tip well, just saying. Of course I'm also usually bringing a medical stroller or tons of bags or something else that's a pain in the butt. But I just think it can be a hard profession and that under-tipping doesn't make it good for the next person. So like that rude driver may have had some really poor tippers just making her day more rough. My dh is nicer than I am and he'll tip well servers who are having a hard day just to turn their attitude around.

What does this mean?  That drivers are able to see if you're a good tipper before they accept you as a passenger?  Or they rate you according to whether you tip them or not?  (Also, can they see where their tips come from?  I mean, assuming you do it via app and not in person.)

I remember one of the pushes for Uber and Lyft early on was that the tip was included, so you didn't have to even worry about that part.  I was really relieved by that because I always hated figuring out the tip (for taxis), and have been yelled at a couple times (by taxi drivers) when I didn't tip enough even though they had been rude all along.  I take Uber and Lyft a LOT, probably 30 - 50 times/year, but usually only tip if they exceed my expectations, or if conditions require more effort on their part (such as helping me with groceries!).  That probably happens 25% of the time.

• Like 3

Just now, happi duck said:

I thought part of the draw was not having to deal with money changing hands.

You tip within the app. It prompts you for a review and tip as soon as your ride ends. So the person takes my bags out, shows final politeness, and I click the number of stars in the app and tip.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterPan said:

You tip within the app. It prompts you for a review and tip as soon as your ride ends. So the person takes my bags out, shows final politeness, and I click the number of stars in the app and tip.

Thanks, this is what I thought.  I misunderstood and thought people were using cash.  

1 minute ago, happi duck said:

Thanks, this is what I thought.  I misunderstood and thought people were using cash.  

Nope. The cash is if driver's are trying to skirt Lyft/Uber and offering to drive you for less or a different trip (arranged by phone) for cash. I've had that happen. But no, if you're using the app, it's all in the app. 

He says these are his tips:

1. Through the app.
  2. The person who rode in the car knew the person who paid for the ride would not tip so he gave cash.
  3. The person was new and didn't know you could tip in the app.
  4. People want to stop for food and buy him food.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Slache said:

Most don't tip.

That's what a driver fessed up to me. I can't remember which way he said it. Like maybe locals tipped and tourists didn't? It seemed to frustrate him and I was just shocked, given the incredibly low rates, that people weren't tipping, especially for good service. 

I have to get on my kids about tipping. I'm like, guys, unless the driver was terrible, always at least add a couple of dollars. But then they're like, oh, we forgot. It's not like it's their money... they just forget to click it when they arrive.

15 hours ago, Farrar said:

I have to get on my kids about tipping. I'm like, guys, unless the driver was terrible, always at least add a couple of dollars. But then they're like, oh, we forgot. It's not like it's their money... they just forget to click it when they arrive.

I'm realizing I need to do the same thing.  This thread has been helpful in many ways.  

Debbi,  The title brought a smile to my face and a little chuckle - NOT at your expense of needing to be recognized for a Lyft.   Aside from the frustration of being overlooked it does seem like something you'd find in a comedic movie. 

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

How much does one tip a Lfyt/Uber driver? I hate the not knowing which makes me not want to do it at all but I need to. I need to make my visits to my son's house easier on his family.

"$3 seems to be the average tip, though I get a lot of $1 tips, a fair number of $5 tips, and I one-time got a $20 tip, but I helped load up the woman's scooter into the trunk."

He's mentioned before that when he gets little piddly rides he'll sometimes get larger tips. Short rides are a waste of time and cost drivers money. Because you paid him $2 he missed a $30 ride kinda thing, so he'll get a $5 tip for 3 blocks even though it's proportionally inappropriate.

Again, most people don't tip. He wishes they did, but drivers are not put off or upset when you don't, so nobody feel bad for missing past opportunities.

People have occasionally flagged him down to run errands. You can't do that through the app but when they see the sign on the car they see the opportunity. He once drove to Austin from San Antonio and back to get a spare copy of someone's keys. He didn't drive the man, just got there keys from his mom's house.

If someone wants money, they want money. You can flag them down, ask for help, ask for favors, don't tip because you forgot. They don't care, they just want to get paid.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

How much does one tip a Lfyt/Uber driver? I hate the not knowing which makes me not want to do it at all but I need to. I need to make my visits to my son's house easier on his family.

Short or longer ride? Medium ride (15-20 minutes) is usually around $11 on uber/lyft and I usually tip $2-3. If I have along things they help with like luggage or a stroller I add the standard $1 per bag and $5 for a medical stroller (big pain).

I think anything in the 10-25% range would be normal/appreciated. Just whatever seems good. It can reflect the quality of service. I've had drivers open my door and really do a lot to make the ride pleasant, so the tip will reflect that. Sometimes a driver will work hard to get us out of traffic, maybe going out of his way, which doesn't get him more $$, so I tip for that. Just go with your sense.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2