Menu

Twin XL vs twin bed? also, head board important?

Janeway

Son seems to need a box spring or...box, whatever. His bed used to be a twin that was the bunk bed made in to two twins. Then they wanted a bunk bed so we bunked them. Now, daughter loves the bunk beds but son, not so much. He has gone back to his room. I had a spare mattress, but no box or frame. Now the mattress is on the floor in his bedroom. Since daughter still loves her bunk, I am thinking maybe I should buy a new mattress and box set with a frame. (alternatively, tell daughter she cannot keep the bunk bed as son does not wish to sleep in it anymore). My teen boys sleep in regular twin beds. I asked them if they need their beds replaced with longer mattresses and they said they are fine, they don't need anything replaced. They also do not have any sort of headboard or such. Since I will be replacing the entire thing, should I get him an XL set, or a regular twin set? It seems easier to have sheets and such for regular twins, but not the end of the world to find XL sheets.

Also, if you think my daughter will grow tired of the bunk bed in a month or so, or that I should simply tell her she has to have it taken down so her brother can have his bed back, let me know. She has had it for a month now and tells me she still loves it. 

I'd recommend getting TwinXL for anyone buying a bed for someone over 8-10yrs old.  It's worth the money.  My kids currently don't have headboards.  I think it does make it uncomfortable if you like to read in bed or prop up.  I think it may help keep the wall behind the bed a little cleaner, but I'm not sure it's absolutely necessary.  You can always make a simple one out of used wood and screw it into the frame 

• Like 1

How tall is he expected to grow?  My 6' sons still use regular twins, though I expect they'll get queens- for length - when they move out.

Head boards allegedly keep pillows from falling down.  The do give something against which to lean.

My ds started out in a twin but then moved to a double when a teen.  He'd be uncomfortable in a regular twin bed, but he is quite tall.   I suppose if he were shorter, it might not matter so much.

I love having a headboard because I like to read in bed, although something like this would work too:

https://www.target.com/p/plush-bedrest-throw-pillow-room-essentials-153/-/A-51589013?preselect=51572465#lnk=sametab

Whether to get XL or not would depend on how tall he is likely to grow.  My son is 6'2", and has never had and XL.  Never batted an eye, though his toes hang off if he's flat on his stomach.  

Dd had an XL in her college dorm, but then went back into a regular twin afterward with no complaint.  She's 5'9"

If anything is unnecessary these days, it's the box spring.  Hardly any modern beds use them.  I'd just get a basic metal frame and cut half-inch plywood to fit under the mattress.  Get the kind of wood that's sanded on one side, so that it doesn't harm the mattress.  That's what we have on all our twin beds.

My youngest likes his full size but the other two sleep on reg. twin beds.  Both of the older boys had XL Twins in college but when I asked if they wanted/needed them here they said no, they were fine with twins and didn't want fulls as they preferred more space in their bedrooms for other things.

If your son doesn't need an XL and is fine with a twin, and you don't want to spend the $$, I vote to just take down the bunk and use that bed.  But I am all about not getting more if what you have already is sufficient.

36 minutes ago, DawnM said:

If your son doesn't need an XL and is fine with a twin, and you don't want to spend the $$, I vote to just take down the bunk and use that bed.  But I am all about not getting more if what you have already is sufficient.

Yes, this. It's the son's half of the bunk bed that can be unbunked. If he leaves the room, so does his bed.

• Like 1