Menu

What's the best way to scan lots of pages?

Teaching3bears

I have to scan a bunch of medical records to send electronically.  Maybe several hundred pages, some are double sided, some not.

I have a small, home inkjet printer/scanner/fax.  I have tried scanning photos before and it took forever to do many.  

I called Staples.  It is fairly expensive for many pages.  Should I call around, or is Staples likely the cheapest place?

How long is it likely to take me if I do it myself?

Is there a loading tray so you can put a sheaf in to scan sequentially? Whenever I have to intermingle papers that are double-sided, I copy the rear side first so it can continuously feed a sheaf. I would break it down to units of, say, 30-50 pages at a time, set them to continuously feed and, I don’t know, paint my fingernails or something while I monitor the feed. 

1 hour ago, Teaching3bears said:

I have only ever scanned by lifting the lid and scanning one page at a time.

If it has a feeder like this, you can scan a bunch of papers in one go. 

93AA9AF9-64F4-4498-B4F0-4DA8E5F5B025.jpeg

UPS stores would also likely do it for you. 

Maybe your library has the right copier/scanner?

.... and before you start, are you positive you can email these documents?  I think due to HIPPA, doctors have to have communicate via a secure email (can their system receive so much data?) or via fax.  I’d hate for you to spend all the time scanning it in when it needs to be faxed or whatever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Does your husband work in a place that has a scan capability?  Our heavy duty machine at work scans very quickly.  And then I can email it to myself from the machine.

This.   Bf works in a place with an amazing, huge, book scanner.  He didn’t even know it existed until he randomly ran across it - and it is free for him to use!

• Like 1

Thanks! I checked my scanner and it can scan multiple pages. I might photocopy them first so I can scan them in the same direction and I don't have to worry about destroying something if it gets jammed. I also have a UPS store near me and that might be easier and I can contact the library because they are very helpful. I will ask DH if he knows what he has at work.

First, I have to get all the pages together and choose the best order to put them in.

• Like 2

I'd check to see the size of the files after you scan say like 4-5 documents and see how your email/server handles emailing that size. I might call the doctor's office you are sending them to and see if they can handle a big email.

I'd be tempted to copy and fedex and be done with it. 

Sometimes instead of scanning, I used GeniusScan on my photo and just take pictures. 

• Like 1

You can often find coupons online for UPS or kinkos if you go that way.  They're always expensive.  I've had better luck at both places depending on what I'm doing so one's not clearly cheaper than the other in my experience.  

I have a 4 in one printer that scans double sided using the feeder.  It’s awesome.

I use the Foxit program and save the entire document as a PDF.  Works great.

Having said that, I don’t know what the upper limit on number of pages is.  The most I have ever done this way is probably around 20-30.