Menu

Sheet sets

bethben

I  am looking for a good set of sheets that will last.  What am I looking for?  I have some sheets from 25 years ago that are not threadbare and haven't gotten holes in them.  The elastic on the sides of the fitted sheet is worn out.  I'm almost tempted to just buy those sheet straps and keep using the old ones since anything I buy currently lasts about 2-3 years before it wears out.  

If you want long lasting you may want to look into percale. They aren't as soft as sateen, but they last a LOT longer. They do get softer over time. When you think of your grandma's sheets--those were most likely percale. There's probably a high likelihood that those 25 yo sheets you have are percale. I may get either these or these as my next sheets. 

• Like 2

I got some really nice cotton sheets from Amazon - the brand is Threadmill Home and I think they are 800 count.

I tried some linen sheets, but don't like them at all. They feel too rough. I bought them from Garnet Hill and they were $$ and the fitted sheet already has a small rip in it. 

Honestly, my best finds have been at flea markets.  There is always someone (or several) set up with new goods and I always can find sheets.  There are soft with a high thread count and great prices.  I usually pay around $15 for a set for twin and $20 for double or queen.  My oldest set is about 8 years old and still looks as new as the day I bought it.  Store prices are so ridiculously high, I won't buy sheets there ever again if I can help it. 

I'm finding my old sheets last longer than the new ones.  Perhaps it is just quality now compare to then? I've been buying a decent thread count....400 or so.  Dd loves jersey sheets.  Those have been lasting quite a while.  I've gotten several from Target that have made it few years.  My friend swears by Landsend or LLBean sheets. 

It's so hard for me to throw out sheets, because as long as there aren't gaping holes in them, I think I should keep them!  But in the meantime, they're worn, there are little fuzz balls, the elastic is stretched...  My favorite sheets are the old cotton ones from my MIL, and a set of bamboo ones from my ds.  The cotton ones do wear out.  They will look old eventually.  But they're so soft and for some reason they always smell extra good when I wash them.  Plus, they tend to feel cooler on a warm summer night.

• Like 1

So, I was able to read a tag off of my old sheet set.  Apparently, it's a 50/50 blend percal sheet.   It has lasted 25 years.  Every other sheet I buy is a nice all cotton and they wear out quickly - usually getting thin fast or tearing.    Apparently, there's a market for my old sheet sets because they do last.  I think I may just repair them or buy the clips for the outside.  They are cool and crisp.  I wish I could find similar now.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, moonflower said:

Target sheets - the ultra soft ones.  they have very good elastic and a construction that makes them never come off the mattress, and they last forever.  also you can buy just fitteds, not sets, which is nice.  colors are not great.

I have gotten these for my kids and they last about 2 years before they get shredded.  

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

If you want long lasting you may want to look into percale. They aren't as soft as sateen, but they last a LOT longer. They do get softer over time. When you think of your grandma's sheets--those were most likely percale. There's probably a high likelihood that those 25 yo sheets you have are percale. I may get either these or these as my next sheets. 

Thank you for sharing that.  I just through away a set of twin sheets today.  They were Costco flannels for twins - very inexpensive.  But I still think they should have held up a little better than they did on a little kid's bed?  I wondered about those old fashioned sheets that stay nice and stiff and last forever.

• Like 1