Menu

Would you eat this?

Random

I bought some fund-raiser cookie dough a few weeks ago.  It's the type that arrives frozen in little cookie dough globs and you place it on the cookie sheet and bake it.  When I picked it up from the parent of the fund-raising child, she thanked me and mentioned when she picked it up from her child's coach, it was room temperature, but that it "has so many preservatives, it should be fine!"  The box says it's perishable and to keep it frozen. 

So, would you bake it and eat it?  Half my family says throw it away and half says it's fine.  If you would eat it, would you mind elaborating on why you think it's safe to do so?

You guys are making me feel better.  The parent seemed surprised when I said the dough was probably rotten.  To be fair, she did say I could get a refund, but I thought that would punish the kid for the coach's mistake since the money goes to the kid's team.  It's not a lot of money, but I don't like to waste food if it can be helped.  It's not that big of deal to me.  I just wanted to get some objective voices.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Random said:

You guys are making me feel better.  The parent seemed surprised when I said the dough was probably rotten.  To be fair, she did say I could get a refund, but I thought that would punish the kid for the coach's mistake since the money goes to the kid's team.  It's not a lot of money, but I don't like to waste food if it can be helped.  It's not that big of deal to me.  I just wanted to get some objective voices.

I decided not to buy that sort of stuff .  If I want to contribute to a cause, I just contribute money. 

The one thing I might really appreciate would be a car wash fund raiser since we are rural far from car washes, but I’ve never been aware of one at a time I could use it.

• Like 3

Just now, Pen said:

I decided not to buy that sort of stuff .  If I want to contribute to a cause, I just contribute money. 

This, exactly. That way, the organization gets the full amount of the money I spent, and not just the small fraction that's left over when the company has taken their cut - and I don't have to deal with overpriced merchandise that I didn't need in the first place.

• Like 3

the being warm part doesn't bother me as much as the  "so many  preservatives". that would have me not eating it.

After having to participate in organizing sporting fundraisers I agree. Companies are making a fortune out of fundraising and the sporting group only gets a very very small percentage.

scrap the fundraiser and just give a donation is the only way to stop those profiteering companies.

• Like 2

I'd be annoyed enough that I would track down the vendor and insist they replace all the thawed out cookie dough they gave to their coaches to pass out. If I thought the team was making good money on their fundraiser I would let it slide. But you know they only get a small portion of what people spend on that over-priced cookie dough. 

ETA: I just realized it was the coach and not the vendor who passed it out thawed. I definitely wouldn't buy the cookie dough again and just opt to send a check in so the team gets all the money. And probably hint very strongly to the coach that they do away with fundraisers like that. 

The school my kids attended last year has a "required" donation that each family is supposed to give at the beginning of each school year in lieu of fundraisers that schools do each year. BEST. TRADITION. EVER.

Edited by DesertBlossom
  • Like 1

Wow, no! What a sad waste! I mean, if I made dough and left it out until it was just cool, but it was only out for a few hours, I'd eat it. But there's no way to know how long this was at room temperature! You could all get so, so sick! 

• Like 1

My daughter decided to sell cookie dough one year for cheer leading. I always opted the kids out of fundraising and just contributed what ever money was needed. She insisted on doing it as a team comaraderie (I  say team-peer pressure)  situation. I have a medium size chest freezer and it was full to to the top with the minimal amount of dough she sold. At the fundraising rah-rah event, I don't think they explained that the family would have to store it frozen until it was delivered. Not everyone was home the first time we drove it to the houses, so we had to hold it for a few days until we could meet up. I have to wonder how many people get thawed out dough from other girls, since not everyone has a chest freezer to store the dough in.  Or....for those who sold 150 boxes....unless they had a commercial freezer, where did they keep it?

I  would never, ever buy frozen dough from a student!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Pen said:

I feel really dimwitted, but this never occurred to me before.   Of course, this is the better plan!  And from now on, I'll offer to make a donation.  win-win