Menu

Real chefs writing for the Instant Pot?

Laura Corin

Madhur Jaffrey has a book coming out.  Are there any others from reliable chefs?  I don't use the IP as much as I would otherwise do because the recipes that I have tried have been mostly a bit boring.  I like complex and interesting flavours (not necessarily spicy-hot), either vegetarian or with veg at the centre.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Madhur-Jaffreys-Instantly-Indian-Cookbook/dp/0525655794

Laura

• Like 2

I don't know that she'd qualify as a "real chef" under your guidelines, but Ministry of Curry has been featured by Epicurious and some other reputable resources. She wrote the Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook, and many of her recipes are on her website.  https://ministryofcurry.com/category/instant-pot/  Her Indian recipes are a tiny bit Americanized (I have yet to see asafetida/hing show up anywhere in her recipes) but they are much more complex in flavor than a lot that I see out there.  A lot of Indian chefs utilize pressure cooking a lot---you can easily hunt down a number of recipes and adapt them for instant pot.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Thanks for the tip about Madhur Jaffrey's new book, btw. She is amazing!

I first saw her as an actor in an early film, Shakespeare Wallah, with a very young Felicity Kendal. I've also enjoyed her cooking career and I appreciate her new adventure with the IP in her eighties.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, itsheresomewhere said:

I don’t know if this meets your real chef requirements but America’s Test Kitchen has a instant pot cookbook that has some fantastic stuff in it. If you like to have different meals and flavors, this is a cookbook you would like. 

Is this the book you are referring to? 

If so, this is the one I have and its really good.  It changed my mind about the Instant Pot. 

Right after I saw this thread, I received my local library's weekly email highlighting new books.  This was on the list!  I requested it immediately; there is already a queue for it.  This is probably one I would buy.  So excited to see her write a book for IP! I love all her books and have several. 

I don't know about other "real" chefs' books. I do find that the recipes (IP and otherwise) from the Damn Delicious website always work and are tasty.   I have a short list of sites I use for finding recipes:  Splendid Table, Simply Recipes, Epicurious, Fine Cooking are the places I mostly go.

• Like 2

More details.... There are 5 veg friendly soup recipes. Asafetida is called for appropriately in her khicherie based soup. There are 9 dal recipes. I counted 10 veg side recipes. There are a few pilafs and one quinoa based recipe. There are some non-IP veg friendly sides at the end of the book. Everything else is not vegetarian.

I did not see many cross-over recipes. On Pinterest there are more veg cross-overs: cauliflower based curries, potato based meals, etc. I think some of her recipes are adaptable—the sauces all look legit and you could easily adapt in veg. 

I have easy access to a number of Indian groceries...if you don’t have spices on hand...some of the recipes may be difficult if you don’t know how to substitute. They do occasionally call for nigella seeds or asafetida or tamarind....things which here are hard to find outside of the import shops.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got this book from the library and have read it through.  It is all right, although the recipes are not nearly as interesting as some of her other (non-IP cookbooks).  I wrote down a couple of recipes to try but am glad I didn't purchase the book.

Of all the (many) Instant Pot cookbooks I have read and tried, I continue to think that this one is the best.

• Like 2