Menu

Our homeschool graduates (REVIVING THIS THREAD)

Kareni

18 minutes ago, Colleen in NS said:

.  Meanwhile, she's alive and walking and talking again!

My gosh, I've loved these forums since the early 2000s!  So many posters with kids older than mine helped me figure out a lot of stuff - I'm forever grateful to all of them (you). This is the BEST source on the internet for homeschooling.

Now if only I could figure out how to change my signature - do we even have those anymore?  I couldn't find the place to update mine.

Wow, so sorry to hear about your daughter but so glad to see you drop by. That much have been so tough. Much hugs to you both. 

• Like 2

I'm loving seeing all these updates and a little wistful/nostalgic reading old posts from people I haven't seen around here in a long time.  

Our update:

Oldest DS is a 4th year grad student at UConn studying evolutionary biology.  Due to Covid, his Fulbright has been deferred twice.  He is loving the grad student life.   He loves being a TA.  He has a fantastic advisor who has given him some great direction, pushed him where he needed to be pushed, and recognizes what he needs (like some intermediate deliverables as far as writing his dissertation, not the actual research part.)  He is finally able to go to conferences again in person and will be presenting at one next week.  Since New Zealand has opened her borders, he will finally be able to use his Fulbright.  It will delay him finishing, but he will defend in the spring of 2024.  He may be offered a post-doc at his current university, but will be looking for other opportunities, which will likely be difficult while abroad.  Being the naturally frugal person he is, he has no trouble building up a good savings on his stipend, which will come in handy in NZ. 

K:  Due to the violence brought on by her mental illness and subsequent estrangement, we were out of contact with her for nearly a year.  The only way I knew she was alive was monitoring her bank account.  Once she spent down her savings, I regularly put a little money in there to make sure she wouldn't starve. Eventually, she started hanging with some people who helped her realize that we weren't the enemy ... that we weren't abusive religious fanatics she had invented.  She started coming over to the house in January 2021 and, due to a traumatic incident (finding her roommate dead from an OD), she moved back home in March of that year.  She has been taking her meds and going to therapy.  Still suffering from anxiety, depression, and major executive function issues.  But the delusions appear to have abated.  She has since moved into an apartment (funded by us because this living situation is better for all of us.)  She is working toward independence, but it will be a very long haul.  I have my doubts that she will ever be truly financially independent, but she is at least taking steps toward getting the neuropsych eval to help address her exec function issues and try to start working.  Eventually, she wants to get into computer/electronics repair.  I've suggested going back to school, maybe taking one class at a time.  She is resistant to the idea for now.  I'm just happy to have a relationship with her that isn't hostile and toxic.  It isn't easy.  She isn't an easy person to be around. (I'm sure living in her head isn't easy either.) But she is grateful for the help without taking us for granted.  

Youngest dd just graduated with a degree in Civil Engineering and has accepted a job in St. Louis.  Her semester in Spain was cut short by Covid.  (And my bucket-list trip to see her was cancelled as well.)  She was the one who resented being homeschooled because it made her "different".  But she has come around to seeing how it wasn't "all bad" and that she understands the advantages it gave her.  Despite the Covid restrictions at school (or maybe because of them), she and a couple friends re-started the student chapter of a professional organization that made a huge difference for people in her major.  She ended up getting a scholarship from the local chapter this organization.  Her senior year in colleges was pretty difficult - illness, mold in her apartment, roommate drama, finishing incompletes from her "sick" semester.  Nearly didn't graduate - turned in her last incomplete the final day.  She ended up accepting a job from a firm where she did an internship, but it's in St. Louis. (Waaah.  She's not moving back here!)    So we have her for another month before she moves back and starts her job.  She's happy to be back with several of her school friends who found jobs there, but she's not excited by the work-a-day lifestyle 😅

During our homeschooling journey, I felt like I homeschooled myself as well.  I learned so much - history and literature that was never exposed to as well as new skills.  I wanted to go away to college with each of my kids and continue learning with them.  My youngest told me that I had to "get my own life."  So I went back to school to get an Associates in Applied Science in diagnostic medical sonography.  I graduated in 2021 and have been working PRN at 2 jobs:  one at a vascular surgery clinic and one at a busy hospital in an underserved area.  

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

- What led you to homeschool? To be honest school failed both me and my husband. We were poor and lived in  low preforming schools. He did not do well in daycare though they were great with him.

-- How was your child homeschooled in the high school years? We started with online classes but after several incidences and one failed AP tests we decided he wasn't learning anything and we needed to change. He had no hobbies, no goals and was just miserable.

So we went to doing ANYTHING productive. He spent his time creating an rpg world, doing digital art, learning to code, music production, learning guitar, and creating hobbies. BUT we had a problem we wanted him to have a career when he graduated high school because we realized he wasn't for traditional education. So naturally we started looking into tech schools but quickly found we wouldn't be able to afford it. So we started to look into dual enrollment is free. We took his hobbies and high paying AS degrees in our area. He ended up tolerating classes in web development. He took some classes in  Art and programing and other hobbies but once the decision to start web development was made we required him to stick with it. He graduated with a certificate in java and a degree in web development along with his high school diploma. He took an extra year to graduate high school because of all the mess of his first 2 years.

-- What did your child do after graduating? Though he did not like school he scored well enough for bright futures scholarship. We found a non traditional program that he had to take 13 classes in general ed and his concentration and 7 free elective classes. His 7 classes were in entrepreneurship. So he got a degree in information architect.

What is your child doing now? He moved out the month he graduated and looked for a remote job part time. He wasn't able to find one that he liked so he decided to go back to school part time (??) for his masters in information technology. he has decided to also move with us when we move. Which we're fine with as he's only 20.

• Like 7

What is your child doing now?

It's been 3 years since my original post and since ds's graduation. I hesitate to post because it's not all roses. I'm grateful for those who have shared the ups and downs.

On the positive side, ds is employed and seems to enjoy his work.  He works for a consulting company and, at first, he did more traveling than he liked. He has recently transitioned to another area of the company that needs less travel so that's good. But, he complains about the expectations from both company and clients, and I understand bc I've worked for a consulting company and would not choose it for myself again. TBH, I am very cynical about the US corporate world altogether. But, that's another thread.

The traveling, the pandemic, and ds's introverted nature took a toll on his 3.5yr relationship with his gf about 9mo ago, and ds has not yet recovered. Not sure if/when he will. I assume he will bc most people do, but it's hard to witness.

Kareni, I hope you revive this thread again in a few more years and I have better news to report.

• Like 7

I can’t remember if I already replied…

I have two sons. One was home educated and one was not. Why? Because when my older son went through school, home schooling was not something I’d ever considered and circumstances would not have allowed it anyway.  At that time, though, I was deeply unsatisfied with public school, even though ds did well and was happy. 

We pulled younger ds out in 4th grade. Reasons:

1) He began to ask to home school. 

2) Circumstances changed, and I would be working from home pretty much from that point on. 

3) His abusive 4th grade teacher was the last straw. I sent a letter of intent to our state and Dh and I pulled him out immediately. 

Ds did some college during his high school at home years. We graduated him and he later transferred to a four-year university. 

Our older son majored in chemical engineering. He is the operations manager (below the plant manager) at a chemical plant. 

Our younger son is an electrical engineer for a foreign car brand that is developing and expanding  their division that manufactures electric trucks. 

• Like 8

Thanks for sharing your son's story, @Miguelsmom, and best wishes to him as he pursues his masters.

Sending good wishes to your son as he heals and carries on,@Sunshine State Sue I look forward to your next update.

And thanks for sharing the story of your two sons, @Indigo Blue. I'm glad you were able to get the younger away from the abusive teacher.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have 3 home school grads and one still in high school. I started home schooling when my oldest were starting 4th grade. The why...I just wanted to. 🙂

My 2 oldest, twins, both graduated with honors from college in 2020. One is a graphic designer for a large corporation that manufactures all kinds of building and home improvement products. She's in Atlanta.

Other twin has recently shut down her non profit animal rescue because she is about to start interning for Audiology. She will be in Georgia fall semester and here in B'ham spring semester. She is semi-engaged. 😉 She will probably end up doing her externship in the Philadelphia area if she gets married this year.

DD21 is a senior getting a degree in English. The child has no plans whatsoever. lol She has pretty severe ADHD. She'll figure something out. 🙂 

• Like 6

Since joining the board on like 2011, we’ve graduated 4 so far.

oldest ds is 22 with Asperger’s. He got an associates in arts after many false starts. When he was 15 I insisted he volunteer or get a job. He volunteered with our local library until 18 when they hired him part time. After several false starts he decided working for the library would be a good fit (fast food, not a good fit!😆) so that gave him the incentive to finish his associates as it was required for full time. He graduated in 2020 and spent a year searching for a    Full time job during the pandemic and it was awful for his mental health. He learned to cook his favorite foods though with all his spare time. He now lives semi independently an hour away working for a nice library with co workers he enjoys. He is financially independent, has benefits and a retirement scheme but still needs our support on adulting.he doesn’t drive. He is mostly content but would love to meet a girl.

oldest dd 21 with Asperger’s- another circuitous route. She thought she was going to study piano in college, bombed the audition, struggled through an associates in business while trying to figure out what was next. Got a part time job with a cousins law office then decided to get her paralegal certificate. Now she is getting ready to go to NKU to study Japanese with the hopes of doing interpreting. Crossing our fingers that roommate life works out for her as she can be tough to get along with and doesn’t drive. She still needs lots of support from us 

dd19- just graduated with an associates in science and is transferring to Wright state to study chemistry ultimately to be a forensic scientist. Smooth sailing for this one. Drives and is very independent.

dd17- just graduated high school. She has absolutely no idea what she wants to do. It literally changes every month depending on some cool thing. She is going to take some classes at the community college while she figures herself out. School has always been hard for her so she is taking a light load and thinks most of my suggestions are dumb. She would have loved to have been “discovered “ and be making movies, but that is unlikely to happen here in rural Ohio so she is trying to find the least distasteful job she wants to train for. She absolutely is not the type to just learn a trade or whatever to make a living, she has to be passionate about whatever career she decides on. I think she is going to be living here a long time…

• Like 6

I believe I posted on this thread a while ago. I homeschooled for 25 years, heard Gene Vieth talk about TWTM when it first came out, and began tweaking things towards classical immediately thereafter. My kids are now 30, almost 28, 25, and 19.

Oldest dd got a BFA and then went back to community college for a few more graphic design classes. During covid she moved back in with us (after 10 years away!) and now has a local job and her boyfriend is studying in the big city nearby; right now they plan to get married when he finishes his computer science degree.

DS is almost 28. He got a BS in communications from local state U but is still working his college job (zipline tour guide) about 30 hours a week. Meanwhile he's started two businesses with friends -- one doing media and web design and photography, including drone photography so he had to get his drone pilot license. The other one takes action camera shots at the zipline company and sells the photo links to zipline customers for mementos. Next step, hopefully marketing the camera setup to other venues. He loves rock climbing but works so much it's hard to find the time.

2nd dd has had challenges with school. She went to the CC and got both an AA and a CNA, was doing senior care and swim lessons, but is now helping a cerebral palsy student in public school. It's a wakeup call for her to be in that environment, even though we were part of an at-home charter with some classes in her high school years. She struggles with migraines and depression, but helping people helps her.

3rd dd spent her senior year taking classes at the CC online because dh got laid off and I had to go looking for work. God provided that, thankfully, as dh was out of work 10 months. She's now working as wait staff at a high-end B&B in the area and will finish her AA this coming year, trying to figure out transfer applications for a BA in political science. What will she do with it????? Who knows but it interests her. We are pretty opposite, which makes for some rousing discussions and some abrupt halts to them too. LOL

During dh's 2020 layoff I was able to reconnect with some colleagues I had worked with and now do some proposals and marketing work from home. At this point we're talking about moving once the youngest finishes her BA. DH is liking his newest job, one year anniversary in December, and is working from home. We email each other from our home offices.

Maybe someday one of the four will get married? They are late movers in that area, as were we, so we're going to be really old grandparents.

• Like 6

•  

-- What led you to homeschool?

I have three sons. I tried homeschooling the oldest for fifth grade in 2001 when we moved, but it was a disaster. He hated homeschooling and felt very isolated in our new town. We sent him back to school in sixth grade.  My two youngest were homeschooled from kindergarten through graduation. They were 11 months apart and very close, and much younger than our oldest. They loved homeschooling. Our reasons for turning to homeschooling was due to my youngest son, who had severe speech delay. His speech didn't normalize until 7th grade, but I didn't want him to be placed in a special needs classroom because he was bright and capable. He just couldn't talk. Homeschooling was really our only option. Then, it just became a way of life for us.

-- How was your child homeschooled in the high school years? (Did you use WTM as a guide? Did your child take out of the home, online classes, or college classes?) 

I was an eclectic homeschooler for curriculum. By the time my kids were in high school, they were in a homeschool group that was fee based and allowed them to choose classes. This was a great group that allowed them to get away from home twice a week and allowed me to not have to teach some of the more difficult classes. But by their junior/senior year, they were doing dual enrollment at the local community college. My youngest was a high achiever in all his classes. My middle son was the one who had to be pushed. He liked his classes, but didn't like to work hard for grades. 

-- What did your child do after graduating? What is your child doing now?

Oldest:  Went through high school, attended a welding trade school, and is now 32. He is making very good money and travels a lot for his job. Private life has been difficult. He is divorced and has a beautiful 8-y/o daughter that is with me quite a bit as both her mom and dad are not that interested in being full-time parents. I hate to put it that way but it's the truth. They are good parents, but both my son and ex-DIL, whom I get a long very well with, like having their own lives. They never really wanted kids. I feel like I'm raising another child, but this granddaughter is my true joy. She and I are very close. My son has been through several relationships since divorcing but always seems to choose to walk away and not commit. Not sure what he's looking for as he really gets lonely for a companion. I am hoping he gets some stability in this aspect of his life. Unfortunately, he is very, very dependent on us, especially his father, for emotional support. He is a wonderful son, very helpful, but worries incessantly about us. When we go on vacation, he is constantly checking in on us. He lives about 10 minutes away. He owns his own home. 

Middle:  This one couldn't wait to move out. He graduated high school and then went away to college. He worked full time, went to school full time, and graduated by the skin of his teeth with an engineering degree. I never worried about this one other than his tendency to be lazy. He has great charm and can talk his way into a job, which he did! He is an engineer and travels around the country for his company because he can sale anything. He just bought his own townhouse. Wants to go into politics. Again, his private life is a sadness for him. Two engagements broken up, mostly because he is very possessive, and his two former fiancees were very independent women. He is now 26.  

Youngest:  Just graduated with two bachelors degrees and headed to a masters program this fall because he doesn't know what else to do. But can't seem to find a job. This is driving his dad crazy. But my son tries. He applies for jobs but the interviews process is torture for him. Whereas his brother is charm personified, my youngest has social anxiety that is crippling. He lives with us right now. He is so sweet and sincere and hardworking, but he can't find his place yet. I worry about him. He has no friends and doesn't date and stays home all the time with his dad and me. If we go on vacation, he's in the back seat.  We are his social life, and this makes me so sad. But he just can't seem to push himself to go out and meet people since his college classes ended. In the fall, though, he is moving in with his middle brother. I think this will be good. My middle son needs someone to watch his place when he travels, plus they are very close still and I think my middle son can push my younger son out into society a bit more. They will live an hour away (luckily near the graduate school), so we can still go see them if we have too. I can see my youngest becoming a college professor. He would make a wonderful special ed teacher though because of his nature, but he wants to go into research for history. 

Anyway, love this thread and so sorry for the long reply. This website was a lifesaver for me for many years. Now, I just come and pop in when I have time. I miss homeschooling, but I also like my retirement. 

• Like 5