Menu

PSA for Parents of (high school) seniors: Don't forget to order diploma!

RootAnn

Or, design your own. If you haven't already, it is time to order that diploma!

(I just got graduation invites designed & ordered, so the diploma is next on my list.)

Meant to put this on the main high school board but will leave it here because most of us check here sometimes anyway.

Edited by RootAnn
Arg. Wrong board
  • Like 6

Um, this may seem a silly question - but have you ever had a need for to show anyone your high school diploma? I have NO idea where mine is, and when I need to prove I have a BS, again, I have no idea where that diploma is, so they just called the University to verify.  So, what is the purpose of the diploma? I'm considering just doing a downloaded template, filling it out, printing to PDF, sending copies to my graduates and having them save it to their google drive. They can print out should they ever need it. 

My oldest graduated from an umbrella school associated with a brick and mortar school so he actually had a graduation ceremony and was presented an accredited diploma. 

My second ds wanted no part of any graduation ceremony but our church had a mass where graduates were recognized so we called that his graduation and had a cookout after with grandpa and auntie and cousins. We did get a diploma from our online umbrella school which served as a photo prop.

My third might participate with our homeschool support group graduation when his time comes and I will order him a diploma for use in that ceremony.

It was or will be ceremonial in our case but it was nice to have and inexpensive to do. But I do figure I could always print one up if necessary. 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bambam said:

...So, what is the purpose of the diploma? I'm considering just doing a downloaded template, filling it out, printing to PDF, sending copies to my graduates and having them save it to their google drive. They can print out should they ever need it. 

That's a great idea. While I've only heard of just a very few cases of someone having to show a high school diploma, it's a good record-keeping policy to print/award a diploma so that your students can honestly answer the question on job applications of "Do you have a high school diploma?" That way they have the actual document asked about, and the more important transcripts, as proof.

• Like 3

My ds was supposed to get one as part of his participation in homeschool graduation, but we never did.  I completely forgot about it.

8 hours ago, kand said:

I ordered a nice one for my dd last year and I’m glad I did. It’s beautiful and she’s proud of it. For a kid who might wonder at a time like graduation if they’re missing out on something by not having a regular graduation ceremony like their schooled friends, it’s a small thing to add some pomp and circumstance to the occasion. We had a small graduation party and presented the diploma, and it was lovely and memorable and she has thanked me for doing that. 

For a kid who doesn’t care about that stuff? Yeah, probably not necessary. 

My ds was supposed to receive one as part of his participation in our local homeschool coop’s graduation, but never did.  I had forgotten about it until now.  This is a kid who would get a kick out of the official document, even now, though. Where did you order yours?

I order mine through homeschooldiploma.com

Yes, I've had to go back and show my high school diploma (several times) even though I have a graduate degree.

Another reason I wanted to give my (black and white thinking kid) a diploma - When he fills out applications and the question is did you receive a high school diploma, he can check YES. I'm afraid he'd check no if I simply graduated him and didn't actually give him a diploma. 🙂 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bambam said:

Um, this may seem a silly question - but have you ever had a need for to show anyone your high school diploma? I have NO idea where mine is, and when I need to prove I have a BS, again, I have no idea where that diploma is, so they just called the University to verify.  So, what is the purpose of the diploma? I'm considering just doing a downloaded template, filling it out, printing to PDF, sending copies to my graduates and having them save it to their google drive. They can print out should they ever need it. 

I have to include a photocopy of my high school diploma as part of the homeschooling paperwork I submit to the city every year.  Unbelievably, I was actually able to locate the thing.

41 minutes ago, JennyD said:

I have to include a photocopy of my high school diploma as part of the homeschooling paperwork I submit to the city every year.  Unbelievably, I was actually able to locate the thing.

Good thing I haven't had to do that - I have no idea where mine is.  Still know where the college one is, but the high school one is AWOL.  And my high school just closed last year, so I probably couldn't even get a copy...

My dd's CC wanted her diploma as proof of graduation (her last semester there she switched from dual-enrollment to college student).  Microsoft Word's diploma template to the rescue.  Took me 5 minutes.  I gave them her transcript too because that thing I worked on for 4 years!  

Edited by Matryoshka

For me, having a nice diploma was a reflection of the accomplishment. I worked hard, they worked hard, and a homeschool high school is a real education they can be proud of. The diploma showed I took what we did seriously. Whether others will ever need to see it is irrelevant because I made it for my kids first and foremost. 

• Like 4