Menu

Please help me shop for new fridge?

sgo95

Hi all, we're moving into a new (to us) house in a couple of weeks (we're in the continental US).  There is no fridge currently and all the rest of the appliances are stainless steel Kitchenaid ones.  I am looking for a fridge that:

1. is counter depth

2. has french doors

3. has an icemaker/water dispenser in the door.

I usually try to do some research, including paying for access to consumer reports, but I feel stuck.  On the consumer reports site, their highest rated fridges have posted reviews that are horrible.  Is it just a case of only people with problems making the effort to write reviews?  Can anyone recommend a reliable fridge that meets my criteria?  Help please.

I think they all probably work fine at this point. I think you can just go to Lowe's, pick one, and it will work fine. I'd get one with the double pullout freezer drawers. The width of my fridge didn't come that way, so I dream of them. :biggrin:

PS. I'm not a fan of french doors, but I hope you like your new frig!

• Like 1

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=counter+depth+french+door+refrigerators

My appliance salesperson friend says to avoid Samsung and LG. I'd probably go this route: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-23-8-cu-ft-Counter-Depth-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/1000290043  If you read through threads here, there are a lot of people who have had Samsung fridge issues.  Mine has started making an ominous whine at three years of age. I'm glad I got the extended warranty.

You'll have more choices if you don't go counter depth.

• Like 1

Be sure that you know for sure by calling around to repair places that your fridge has local repair folks.

Our cabin neighbors bought a Samsung machine that failed fast and couldn't find anyone in the area to service it, even though they had bought an extended warranty and Lowe's had given them two names of repair businesses to choose from.  Both said, "I don't know why Lowe's keeps using our name for these.  We only service American made brands."  So they exchanged it for a American made one, which luckily Lowe's sprang for.

Also, none of the fridge manufacturers are reliable right now.  Sad but true.  Basically, because of energy use standards all current higher end fridges have motors that are undersized for their loads, and so they run a lot more than the older ones and don't chill as far down in temperature.  Less cycling, but you might find as I have that on days when your kitchen is fairly hot the fridge runs all the time but the food is a little warmer than it would have been in any older fridge I have ever had.  And, many of them have electronic controls, which adds more reliability concerns.  It seems like they are not built at the center of the specs, either, so about 15% of any model are real lemons, while the rest are just mildly longterm unreliable, and don't keep food as cold in hot weather as older ones do.  So, for the first time in my life, I bought an extended warranty last year when I got my current fridge.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I also have a noisy, cheap, beater fridge in the basement so that I can use it for overflow when needed but also so that I won't get stuck buying quickly when my 'good' one fails.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JenneinCA said:

I strongly suggest you measure the space that the fridge is going to be in before you fall in love with any fridge.  After we measured our space, there were exactly two that fit.  We picked one of them.

This is very important!

Also, play with the doors and drawers of any fridge you are seriously considering.  I found a French door fridge that I really liked, but didn't buy it because you couldn't get the vegetable drawer out without taking one of the doors OFF.  As in OFF THE FRIDGE.  Now, I am no clean freak, but still, I think that every so often you have to take your veggie drawers out and wash them. 

Also, consider how much physical room the doors take up if there are a lot of them.  Each surface has to be insulated which takes up space.  So the more surfaces you have, the more space you lose.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JenneinCA said:

I strongly suggest you measure the space that the fridge is going to be in before you fall in love with any fridge.  After we measured our space, there were exactly two that fit.  We picked one of them.

This. We built and had a smaller fridge to go in but put in cabinets for a larger fridge. When ours died in the fall, we were glad we had space for it. 

• Like 1

I think new refrigerators give more trouble sooner than older ones did.  And water dispensers etc add to that.  

I am hoping to get a GE soon. Simpler and smaller.  Knock on wood, God willing and if the creek don’t rise.  

I think they have a model that meets what you want if it will fit your space.  And reviews were good.  And my GE stove has been reliable.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Be sure that you know for sure by calling around to repair places that your fridge has local repair folks.

Our cabin neighbors bought a Samsung machine that failed fast and couldn't find anyone in the area to service it, even though they had bought an extended warranty and Lowe's had given them two names of repair businesses to choose from.  Both said, "I don't know why Lowe's keeps using our name for these.  We only service American made brands."  So they exchanged it for a American made one, which luckily Lowe's sprang for.

Also, none of the fridge manufacturers are reliable right now.  Sad but true.  Basically, because of energy use standards all current higher end fridges have motors that are undersized for their loads, and so they run a lot more than the older ones and don't chill as far down in temperature.  Less cycling, but you might find as I have that on days when your kitchen is fairly hot the fridge runs all the time but the food is a little warmer than it would have been in any older fridge I have ever had.  And, many of them have electronic controls, which adds more reliability concerns.  It seems like they are not built at the center of the specs, either, so about 15% of any model are real lemons, while the rest are just mildly longterm unreliable, and don't keep food as cold in hot weather as older ones do.  So, for the first time in my life, I bought an extended warranty last year when I got my current fridge.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I also have a noisy, cheap, beater fridge in the basement so that I can use it for overflow when needed but also so that I won't get stuck buying quickly when my 'good' one fails.

We just replaced a bunch of appliances about a year ago and we found that the new energy use standards affected most of the appliances in a negative way. I did extensive research and bought the some of the best rated and reviewed appliances available in the mid price range. I wasn't thrilled with the choices available or the ones I settled on. It is almost impossible to find a dishwasher that will actually dry your dishes because they no longer have heating elements. Washing machines use so little water now that I have had clothes come out of the wash with spots that didn't even get wet! And dryers only seem to work on timed settings. Other settings seem to leave the clothes damp. Plus all of these appliance now take 2 to 4 times as long to complete a cycle as the older ones did. I really don't see how increasing the time in use by that much could possibly use less energy. These are all common complaints. Also most manufacturers have serious customer service complaints as do several of the big box retailers.

• Sad 1

Thanks, ladies.  I  knew you all could help me think this through.  I will definitely measure the space carefully and check out what fridge repair people are available in my area.  Also, great point about testing how shelves and drawers come out/apart to be cleaned!  Like pp's, I'm also disappointed that these newer appliances are so crummy reliability- and effectiveness-wise

I'll look through my options again but I think I'm going to avoid LG and Samsung.  Maybe I should spring for an extended protection plan, which I usually don't do...

Gardenweb.com is a good source for appliance reviews.

IME, Samsungs are horrible, expensive pieces of junk. They have defects, they break down, they make weird noises, the shelves and drawers fall apart...ugh.

We got a GE about seven months ago and love it. No problems whatsoever so far - it runs perfectly, the layout is great, and best of all, the shelves and drawers are super sturdy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KidsHappen said:

We just replaced a bunch of appliances about a year ago and we found that the new energy use standards affected most of the appliances in a negative way. I did extensive research and bought the some of the best rated and reviewed appliances available in the mid price range. I wasn't thrilled with the choices available or the ones I settled on. It is almost impossible to find a dishwasher that will actually dry your dishes because they no longer have heating elements. Washing machines use so little water now that I have had clothes come out of the wash with spots that didn't even get wet! And dryers only seem to work on timed settings. Other settings seem to leave the clothes damp. Plus all of these appliance now take 2 to 4 times as long to complete a cycle as the older ones did. I really don't see how increasing the time in use by that much could possibly use less energy. These are all common complaints. Also most manufacturers have serious customer service complaints as do several of the big box retailers.

I WAS able to find one dishwasher, the then top of the line kitchen aide, that had water heating and heated drying available.  You have to set the cycle up to pick these, and I don't usually use the heated dry if the dishes are being washed overnight--I find that if I use very hot water and leave the stuff in the dishwasher overnight the contents are mostly dry by morning.  But yes, in general the premise of appliances not having to do their main job is pretty pervasive out there right now.  I am super glad I got my Speed Queens two years ago right before the change to electronics-only versions.  And I am limping along my other appliances longer than most people would even begin to want to, because I just can't stand buying the new stuff only to have it fall apart on me.

• Like 1

We recently bought ourselves a new fridge, a counter depth Samsung 4 door.  We are very happy with the fridge, and it comes with ice and water dispenser through one door. The top part is a refrigerator with French doors, and the bottom section has two compartments, each with its own door. The left hand lower compartment is straight freezer and contains some drawers and some shelves in the door. The right hand lower compartment is shaped the same as the freezer, but is a variable space. It can be set for hard freeze, which will put it at the same temperature you set the freezer at, soft freeze, or a deep chill, for storing meats and such above freezing temperatures.

This particular counter depth Samsung 4 door refrigerator comes in 3 different models. The most expensive not only has the ice and water in the door but also contains a computer screen. The middle priced option instead of having a computer screen has one of those double doors, in which you can open just part of the door to get at some of the stuff stored in the door or you can open the whole door to actually get into everything in the door and the stuff in the fridge. That particular setup would have been handy when our kids were little. We chose the cheapest of the three, with just an ordinary door instead of one of the other two.

Please note that no matter the model free-standing counter depth fridges these days are not truly counter depth. The one we selected does not have handles that stick out so it is one of the shallowest profile ones, but it's still sticks out past our counters a little bit more than the depth of the doors. If you want something that is truly flush with your cabinetry you will need to get a built-in model.

Our particular fridge was seen at Home Depot and Lowe's when we were shopping, though we ended up buying it at Best Buy. We were shopping the Black Friday sales, and Best Buy gave us the best price. The fridge looks to be something stores believe will sell, so it should be easy to find, even if I can't give you the exact model right now. As I said, we are quite happy with this fridge. The freezer configuration looks carved up, but the spaces are big enough to fit certain frozen pizzas into, or an entire turkey.

Good luck with your shopping! Don't be shy about asking the stores what sales events they will have coming up.  I hope you find something that you enjoy.

• Like 1