Menu

Age for Instagram etc?

SKL

I know that kids are supposed to be 13 to open a facebook account, but is there a similar rule for other social media? 

Also, what is your opinion on the right age to allow Instagram or other similar platforms?

My 12yo has been sneaking and using Instagram, which is against my rules.  I want to tell her how old she has to be to use this (assuming I trust her at that point).  Same with other networking stuff - I don't even know what they all are.

I am not on Instagram etc., nor do I desire to be.  I am on Facebook and that's enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 9:23 AM, SKL said:

I know that kids are supposed to be 13 to open a facebook account, but is there a similar rule for other social media? 

Also, what is your opinion on the right age to allow Instagram or other similar platforms?

My 12yo has been sneaking and using Instagram, which is against my rules.  I want to tell her how old she has to be to use this (assuming I trust her at that point).  Same with other networking stuff - I don't even know what they all are.

I am not on Instagram etc., nor do I desire to be.  I am on Facebook and that's enough for me.

I never had any problem with my boys using it.  They rarely post.  

My sister's girls have got in to so much trouble with their phones.  So I don't know what the answer is.  I would say close supervision...but with a sneaky kid that won't work.  

My rule for social media has been 13, but I have to be on it, too.  So I made an instagram account so I could follow her.  I don't use it a ton, and my kids don't really use it much (they do mostly discord or voice chatting with friends), but it's there.  

Our neighbours’ kids have been on Instagram for the two years we’ve known them - they are 13 & 15 now - and I believe the other neighbour’s son is on, and he is 12 or 13 now. From what my DSs 12 & 14 tell me, all the kids at school are on insta, Snap, etc. I am sooooo fortunate that mine decided on their own that they didn’t want the drama, so they only want texting. Phew!

The legal age for nearly all social media accounts is 13. This is based on federal laws about how companies have to monitor usage by children younger than 13. That includes Instagram, Twitter, etc.

Your personal rules are welcome to differ, of course. I like having them ease in because, as a friend of mine told me about older teens who are just allowed real online access as college students, "digital rumspringa is not a good look for anyone." But there's an argument in waiting until they're older and more mature. I do think getting a child an email by age 13 is important for basic communication in this day and age.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 4

Honestly, the later the better. 

I don’t have many hard and fast rules because I reserve the right to change my mind according to kid and circumstances. With most tech it is when they can show me they have a good use for it. (Now- I think entertainment is fine but I don’t like social media so for my kids I set the bar higher). My 16 yo had only had IG for a few months. He meets lots of kids from out of town at 4-H events and I think it is valid to keep in touch and he runs for office in 4-H and that is the main campaign platform. So I finally let him have it. He does not have SnapChat. He has had no “need” so I haven’t relented. 

Its very arbitrary but I just haven’t seen much good come from it so my advice is to stall as long as reasonable. But I also think being overly restrictive is not solid parenting either.

Good luck! It’s tough out there.

Most of my college friends who work in tech ban social media entirely or put a limit of 16.

I'm okay as long as I'm looking too.  Then we can talk about filters and fakes, etc.  I don't think it's that different than the fashion magazines I was obsessed with as a kid.

You should know if she's being sneaky she probably also has multiple accounts - or she will soon.  One for you to follow, and others for her friends.

• 3 years later...