Menu

THIRTY. DAYS.

No from Dartmouth for my DD - not unexpected but still upsetting.

She feels like she did not do as well with her reaches as she wanted (1 acceptance, 3 waitlists and 2 rejections) and she's struggling with that a bit. I think that the fact that she had a very "unusual" junior year is probably the difference between acceptance and waitlist for the LACs - we switched to homeschooling in the fall of her junior year because she was struggling with anxiety and depression, and that meant that her junior year classes lacked the rigor of all her other years of HS. While her senior year has been very rigorous (3 AP classes plus Lukeion history classes plus Calculus and Spanish 4) and she's doing A/A+ work in them, I think that the schools might have had a bit of concern about her 11th grade year. But it was absolutely what she needed at the time, and she has had so much success this year that I have zero regrets. She has pushed through and grown so much, and is poised to have a great college career!

She is pretty sure she's going to commit to NYU but we'll be visiting for an admitted students event next week. Hopefully that will resolve any doubts. NYU was one of the first schools she visited and she absolutely loved it then, so I expect she'll have a good experience. The Liberal Studies Core program is not exactly what she was aiming for, but once we had a look at it it seems to be an excellent fit for her. In that program she could spend her sophomore fall semester in Florence which has been a dream of hers!

She's going to do a letter of interest in for both Vassar and Hamilton and we'll see what happens there as well. But right now she's feeling good about NYU!

• Like 14

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son made a sign and picture to send to grandparents via text yesterday with his PennState t shirt on, and sat down with me to take the Virtual Tour, and is just super excited.  It's good that the waiting is over and they can all settle into the idea of where they will be, finish this year well, and enjoy their summer (and summer jobs!) 🙂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kirag714 said:

She feels like she did not do as well with her reaches as she wanted (1 acceptance, 3 waitlists and 2 rejections) and she's struggling with that a bit. I think that the fact that she had a very "unusual" junior year is probably the difference between acceptance and waitlist for the LACs - we switched to homeschooling in the fall of her junior year because she was struggling with anxiety and depression, and that meant that her junior year classes lacked the rigor of all her other years of HS. While her senior year has been very rigorous (3 AP classes plus Lukeion history classes plus Calculus and Spanish 4) and she's doing A/A+ work in them, I think that the schools might have had a bit of concern about her 11th grade year. But it was absolutely what she needed at the time, and she has had so much success this year that I have zero regrets. She has pushed through and grown so much, and is poised to have a great college career!

She is pretty sure she's going to commit to NYU but we'll be visiting for an admitted students event next week. Hopefully that will resolve any doubts. NYU was one of the first schools she visited and she absolutely loved it then, so I expect she'll have a good experience. The Liberal Studies Core program is not exactly what she was aiming for, but once we had a look at it it seems to be an excellent fit for her. In that program she could spend her sophomore fall semester in Florence which has been a dream of hers!

She's going to do a letter of interest in for both Vassar and Hamilton and we'll see what happens there as well. But right now she's feeling good about NYU!

NYU is a very unique experience, you're just as much a new Yorker as you are a college student.  (if not more) For a student the loves New York City and the vibe there, there is no other experience quite like NYU!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Calming Tea said:

NYU is a very unique experience, you're just as much a new Yorker as you are a college student.  (if not more) For a student the loves New York City and the vibe there, there is no other experience quite like NYU!

I lived in one of the NYU dorms when I was a summer associate at Lehman Brothers. It was right on the border of Tribeca and Chinatown. There is no experience on the planet quite like living in Manhattan, and Florence will be amazing. I know the feeling of disappointment can be hard to take (I am still bitter about Cornell ugrad and Harvard Law all these many years later -- kidding, sorta), but I hope she has a blast! 😉

• Like 4

5 hours ago, kirag714 said:

I wish I could go to NYU!  I love the city and to be young and going to school there is going to be so much fun.

• Like 4

@Hoggirl CM released decisions this morning, I think.

If I have time later, I'll be updating the acceptances thread & adding a "decisions" word to the title for sharing where kids are going (or what they are deciding to do if they are taking a gap year or doing something different).

• Like 3

Smith came back with the possibility of spending Wednesday evening on campus. DD decided that she didn’t want to miss another day of classes, so she will just spend one night there. 

On another note, I am ever amazed about how much maturity my DC gain in their final year of high school.  DD is approaching tasks that were traumatic last year with confidence, self awareness, and relative skill. 

• Like 8

The final one - a waitlist at Georgetown, second only to Penn in "the dream." Writing a "keep me on the waitlist, I would love to accept" letter now. Meanwhile, put down a deposit at U of South Carolina so he can secure an early registration slot tomorrow. I think it will be a good fit for him.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Calming Tea said:

darn.  Is that for a transfer?

Well let's all cheer on G5! 

Yes, for a GUARANTEED ADMISSION transfer. Sigh. I shouldn't be stressed, but as I posted earlier, we messed it up for my older one. We hit July and realized we had never heard from them, and then had to go through all kinds of hoops to get a late admit. I had an excuse (epic-proportions family crises), but I felt horrible. He got in, but had a horrible fall schedule because he was in the last group to register. Not getting the classes he really needed then threw him off, and then he took a semester off for the Army (his choice). So he's taking longer than he would like, but will graduate next May. If you take out the Army semester, he's only graduating semester late. LOL.

• Like 5

The end felt like the end of pregnancy when every day is 100 days long.

I have a college freshman so it has been grueling to go through this process again so soon. 

All decisions are in.

Because seeing everyone's schools helped me so much- his final letter list ( in no specific order):

Messiah College- Provost Scholarship (he missed qualifying for the Honors Program interview by one point on the ACT and decided not to try to press and take it again).

Grove City- merit aid

Gordon College AJ Scholars

Bridgewater College Presidential Merit/Flory Honors College/Music Scholarship

Gettysburg- Wait listed

Lafayette- Wait listed

Lehigh University (Legacy) admitted College of Arts and Sciences with a financial package that made me fall over and cry my eyes out.

This thread has been a great support!! I am glad the long wait is finally over. The Wait List letters really were discouraging.

• Like 12

On 3/31/2019 at 7:14 PM, Calming Tea said:

Those guaranteed admissions are just as stressful, if not moreso than Freshman!  Actually I am going with moreso

Yes, because she's far enough along to know that she wants a certain program at that school, period. She wants to go in as junior of course so she can focus on her major.

The application still says "complete, in the decision process." I know from my son that we can appeal, but getting early registration is a positive. The seniors are registering now.

• Like 1