Menu

THIRTY. DAYS.

2 hours ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

Sounds like your DD has some choice schools!

None of the schools on that list would ever be on the application list for my kids. We are a full (or mostly full, in the case of a place like Yale,) pay, merit-chasing family.

My DD will enter college as a math major who hopes to keep studying her foreign languages, too. Being a female in the STEM group will hopefully be a positive.

Best of luck to PonyGirl as she whittles her list down. Application fatigue is huge, so she'll want to prioritize and get started early. Once classes start senior year, there is so much less time to get them done on top of ECs, homework, and sleep.

Seeing how stressful waiting until the end of March is, watching the results of the ever-more-competitive "selective" college admissions, and hearing about the feelings of rejection at yet another waitlist (or denial) helps a parent to guide their younger kids into making smart(er) choices for them. The Hive helps with all this if we are willing to learn from the wonderful people who have trod this path before us.

@Calming Tea I'm wondering if you have a great big rocket blast emoji for day zero...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Vassar today! I think at this point he kind of thinks of Vassar as a prettier but less mathy Oberlin, so, even if he gets in, they may be out of the running mostly because their decisions come out so late. But who knows?

Carleton's waitlist letter just came in the mail today. I appreciate the sentiment behind actually sending it through the mail instead of only posting it online, but it made him grumpy all over again about it. It was also the NICEST, most straightforward and honest (basically, "hey, kid, you probably would have gotten in a few years ago!") waitlist letter out of all the (many!) he's gotten, which, again, just makes it harder to take. Turns out I wasn't the only one who was really into Carleton. 

• Like 5

DD waitlisted at Vassar. She's so far 0/4 for the schools she really wanted (3 waitlists, 1 rejections). She's just so sad.

Once she recovers a bit I'm going to recommend she stay on the waitlist for both Hamilton and Vassar and send them letters. Both have accepted students off of the waitlist in previous years and I think she has a shot if she wants it.

Please all cross fingers and toes for NYU on Thursday. Then at least we could end this brutal week on a high note. (you could put in a prayer for Dartmouth also, but we don't really expect anything there)

• Sad 11

1 hour ago, kirag714 said:

DD waitlisted at Vassar. She's so far 0/4 for the schools she really wanted (3 waitlists, 1 rejections). She's just so sad.

Once she recovers a bit I'm going to recommend she stay on the waitlist for both Hamilton and Vassar and send them letters. Both have accepted students off of the waitlist in previous years and I think she has a shot if she wants it.

Please all cross fingers and toes for NYU on Thursday. Then at least we could end this brutal week on a high note. (you could put in a prayer for Dartmouth also, but we don't really expect anything there)

Oh, I hate that for her (and you)! Sending all my good thoughts that NYU comes through for her (and/or Dartmouth)!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, kokotg said:

Vassar today! I think at this point he kind of thinks of Vassar as a prettier but less mathy Oberlin, so, even if he gets in, they may be out of the running mostly because their decisions come out so late. But who knows?

Carleton's waitlist letter just came in the mail today. I appreciate the sentiment behind actually sending it through the mail instead of only posting it online, but it made him grumpy all over again about it. It was also the NICEST, most straightforward and honest (basically, "hey, kid, you probably would have gotten in a few years ago!") waitlist letter out of all the (many!) he's gotten, which, again, just makes it harder to take. Turns out I wasn't the only one who was really into Carleton. 

Nice take on Oberlin -- a reason to keep it on dd's list (mathy 😉 )  Vassar is also trying to recruit her for swimming, but she doesn't "like" it for some reason?  I dunno with this girl some times.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bristayl said:

DD has accepted a spot on the waitlist for Rice.

Good luck to your DD!    My DD did not make it into Rice University yesterday. Their acceptance rate was 8.7%   This article explains a lot:        http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019/03/acceptance-rate-hits-record-low-of-8-7-percent

She is waiting for the decision of one more university which is scheduled for tomorrow.   

ETA: Fingers crossed and prayers being said. 

Edited by Lanny
add ETA
  • Like 7

34 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Good luck to your DD!    My DD did not make it into Rice University yesterday. Their acceptance rate was 8.7%   This article explains a lot:        http://www.ricethresher.org/article/2019/03/acceptance-rate-hits-record-low-of-8-7-percent

So definitely not just our imaginations that it's way harder for kids today; that article says that a survey of 51 schools shows an average drop in acceptance rates of 37% between 2006 and 2018. yikes!

Edited by kokotg
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, LisaK in VA is in IT said:

Nice take on Oberlin -- a reason to keep it on dd's list (mathy 😉 )  Vassar is also trying to recruit her for swimming, but she doesn't "like" it for some reason?  I dunno with this girl some times.

Last night he read that math is the 10th most popular major at Vassar, so maybe it's mathier than he thought? At any rate, he suddenly got way more into it as soon as they accepted him 😉 . We thought we had found a good time for him to go up and see it and Hamilton again and then realized he has a physics test (dual enrollment) that day. He has a 100 average in the class, and the prof drops the lowest test....but he has one more test between now and then and won't know how he did on that until too late to buy plane tickets. Argh! So complicated!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

She is waiting for the decision of one more university which is scheduled for tomorrow.   

ETA: Fingers crossed and prayers being said. 

Thanks, Lanny! I'm thinking Rice is likely to have a higher yield this year because of their new financial aid initiative, so I'm not sure the odds of getting in off the waitlist are going to be favorable! On  College Confidential some people are wondering why Rice didn't reduce the number of acceptances even further in anticipation of a higher yield.

We, too, are awaiting "Ivy Day" tomorrow and those will be the last decisions to come in for DD.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kokotg said:

So definitely not just our imaginations that it's way harder for kids today; that article says that a survey of 51 schools shows an average drop in acceptance rates of 37% between 2006 and 2018. yikes!

Not just your imagination.  I was reading a book about colleges that is about 10 years old. At one point in the introduction it mentioned Stanford as highly competitive but the acceptance rate listed was 3-4 times higher than the rate now.

There are a lot of reasons. 

Pressure or requirement from legislatures to accept higher percentage from state residents.

Rules guaranteeing admission to top % of students or transfer students limits seats available outside those groups.

Colleges shift institutional priorities, such as USC setting goals for more lower income, first gen college students from the local area. 

These don't all change the rate, but changes the admitted student profile and may make it harder to predict for an individual student. (For example looking at average test scores is less useful if there are different competition pools for in state and out of state students.)

More students apply to more colleges, which reduces acceptance rates. Common App makes it easier, lower rates make it feel more needful, and the internet and national level marketing bring far off colleges to mind.

On another group I'm seeing conversations abiut how certain schools are not accepting students who would have been accepted even 2 web years ago.  One longtime consultant I respect a lot puts any school lower than 15% as a wild card, just because it isn't predictable; many highly qualified students will be not admitted. 

Going forward students really need to include schools that accept >50% to ensure they have options. The good news is that there are some wonderful colleges in those ranges still.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bristayl said:

Thanks, Lanny! I'm thinking Rice is likely to have a higher yield this year because of their new financial aid initiative, so I'm not sure the odds of getting in off the waitlist are going to be favorable! On  College Confidential some people are wondering why Rice didn't reduce the number of acceptances even further in anticipation of a higher yield.

We, too, are awaiting "Ivy Day" tomorrow and those will be the last decisions to come in for DD.

I am glad that your DD was offered the Waitlist and believe that she did the correct thing in accepting it, but the odds, from the last thing I saw on CollegeData.com of getting cleared from the Waitlist at Rice are dismal.  However, there is no cost to you and there IS a possibility that she will clear the Waitlist. I wish her much good luck and happiness at the school she goes to, Rice or some other school.  The Financial Aid is something that my DD needs, and Rice is a top school, so for those who get into Rice, it is a win-win situation.  I suspect that you are correct that their Yield will be better this year.  The last Stats I saw of the students going in there were quite high. Higher than the stats of those going into some universities that are higher up on "the Totem Pole" of rankings.   

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kokotg said:

Last night he read that math is the 10th most popular major at Vassar, so maybe it's mathier than he thought? At any rate, he suddenly got way more into it as soon as they accepted him 😉 . We thought we had found a good time for him to go up and see it and Hamilton again and then realized he has a physics test (dual enrollment) that day. He has a 100 average in the class, and the prof drops the lowest test....but he has one more test between now and then and won't know how he did on that until too late to buy plane tickets. Argh! So complicated!

Warning: total selfish thought! Since he can't pick both Vassar or Hamilton that ups DD's chances for getting off the waitlist at one of them :).

But seriously such great choices and I wish you both luck!

Actually based on the common data set for the past 2 years, Vassar seems to take quite a few students off of their waitlist so I have a tiny bit of hope there. And I'll be curious to see how the increased number of applications affects the yield at Hamilton - i.e. how many were serious and how many applied because Hamilton has no required supplement. In the meantime she's going to draft killer letters of continued interest for both schools this weekend, and then get busy falling in love with either Franklin & Marshall or Clark University (or maybe NYU depending on how things go tomorrow . . . )

Edited by kirag714
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, kirag714 said:

Warning: total selfish thought! Since he can't pick both Vassar or Hamilton that ups DD's chances for getting off the waitlist one of them :).

😂 DS keeps wishing there were some kind of market for swapping acceptances: "I'll trade you my Vassar for your Grinnell." 

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

DD is currently planning to do an Admitted Students' Day in two weeks. Flights are tough and Admitted Students' Day is two days Thursday and Friday. She will be able to stay over Thursday evening at the school but they don't allow them to stay an extra night to ease the flight issues. Has anyone had a 17 year old stay in Airbnb or hotel alone? We don't have friends or relatives in the area.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Arch at Home said:

DD is currently planning to do an Admitted Students' Day in two weeks. Flights are tough and Admitted Students' Day is two days Thursday and Friday. She will be able to stay over Thursday evening at the school but they don't allow them to stay an extra night to ease the flight issues. Has anyone had a 17 year old stay in Airbnb or hotel alone? We don't have friends or relatives in the area.

If you are coming from far away, ask the school for an exception.  We found people had solutions available when we were flying from HI.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

Which school?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arch at Home said:

Smith. Dd put in a call this afternoon to make one last plea. We will see what happens tomorrow when she hears back. But if someone is in the area, please PM me. A backup plan would be nice. 

Is there a student email list?  Could she ask a current student if she can spend a night with them?

(I’ve been following along and thinking about all of the kids waiting for acceptances and wishing them well. ❤️)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Caraway said:

Is there a student email list?  Could she ask a current student if she can spend a night with them?

(I’ve been following along and thinking about all of the kids waiting for acceptances and wishing them well. ❤️)

Yes what a great idea! There are also facebook pages for many universities 

It isn't only the official "Ivy League" schools that will advise the applicants today. DD is waiting on her last school, which isn't an official "Ivy League" school.  Fingers crossed and  praying.  Good luck to everyone who is waiting!

• Like 11

Best wishes to everyone awaiting decisions today! I just completed my final financial aid form for my current student, who will graduate next year...well, final until 2022 when #3 comes up, but it's nice to get a break for a few years! Enjoy the process. I have fond memories of the spring rush of decision making for my older two daughters.

• Like 5

The fact is we are the most blessed among parents to have children who are hard working young adults on the right path. My mom is working at a public school right now and the stuff she sees is so tragic. Parents that either don’t care or can’t care, or care but can’t do enough to get their kids help or get them ahead. Kids who have totally checked out of any semblance of responsibility or care- unthankful and totally angry at the world. And worse of all Is the truly nice kids who are trying so hard but struggling because they tenmelsves are working almost full time while doing their high scchooo and in classes with talking, yelling, kids and teachers that have given up. 

Thank you God our kids are doing ok, truly I thank The Lord. Every day. 

• Like 9

Praise the Lord a "yes" from NYU! This was the first school she fell in love with, and we'll see how she feels when she visits in a few weeks! It's for the Liberal Studies Program, which threw her for a bit of a loop, but it looks like a good fit for her and I'm super excited.

We're braced for a "no" from Dartmouth in an hour, but still have a tiny bit of hope. But so happy for her that she got into one of her reach schools! Given where she was a year ago what she's been able to accomplish this year is really a miracle. 

• Like 20

47 minutes ago, kirag714 said:

Praise the Lord a "yes" from NYU! This was the first school she fell in love with, and we'll see how she feels when she visits in a few weeks! It's for the Liberal Studies Program, which threw her for a bit of a loop, but it looks like a good fit for her and I'm super excited.

We're braced for a "no" from Dartmouth in an hour, but still have a tiny bit of hope. But so happy for her that she got into one of her reach schools! Given where she was a year ago what she's been able to accomplish this year is really a miracle. 

Congrats!  So happy for you and your DD!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, kirag714 said:

Great news! So happy for her!!!

• Like 2

Woo Hoo Kirag!!

All regret to informs today, so I'll be putting together my loan paperwork for PennState!  🙂  So, we have a winner!!! Penn State!!! 

We technically have one more outlier but it's way harder than any of today's so ....moving on!

But I will still do the countdown anyway! 

Edited by Calming Tea
  • Like 9

It's a no from Harvard--not a shocker 🙂 . Onward to decisions! We leave tomorrow for our Macalester/St. Olaf/Oberlin road trip--SO MUCH DRIVING! And then we're about to buy him a plane ticket to go see Hamilton and Vassar (although Vassar's financial aid package came in way worse than any of the others; my husband's going to call tomorrow and see if they ever consider matching offers from peer schools--if they don't they may be out). His grandfather who lives in New Hampshire is going to meet him at the airport in Albany and go with him to the colleges. 

• Like 9

36 minutes ago, mirabillis said:

Thanks for sharing your candid responses! Congrats on all the acceptances and I hope the no's are being helped with trips to the ice cream shop!!

DD bounces back quickly--but man, what a brutal night.  All she wanted was her favorite--chocolate tsunami--and they had run out!  She settled for black raspberry and there were smiles on the ride home.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2