Menu

Let’s play: Name that snow animal track

mmasc

I’m probably not really wanting to know the answer to this, but curiosity is getting the best of me. Last night when letting my pups in, I saw these animal tracks right by my back door. On the right side of the pic would be my house, the left is the trampoline/chain link fenced back yard. Based on this, I’m assuming rat *shudder*, mouse, or squirrel. My google research isn’t getting me a perfect match, so I’m asking the Hive. 🙂

7007C2E2-FA4C-46F2-A5A6-DA22631F7F5C.jpeg

F08AACF7-772B-4D37-BE97-4E1234B0DC9B.jpeg

• Like 1

Those are good guesses. We do have lots of squirrels. That chart does point to weasel, but I don’t think I’ve seen any here. ?? I wish I could see the actual *print* and not just the gait pattern! But the snow covered it before I saw it. 😕 I’m glad you guys aren’t thinking rats though! Because this little guy was right by my house and back door. 

Claw marks are not always apparent if the snow is light and fluffy. Chipmunks don't hibernate exactly, they wake up every few days and eat a few nuts from their stash. They don't usually come out of their hidey places until spring, but sometimes do venture out for fresh seeds and such from around bird feeders if the temperature is not too low.

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2009/12/the-eastern-chipmunk-in-winter.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WendyAndMilo said:

I think they actually look like itty bitty deer tracks 🙂

Now that would be awesome! I love deer and we have a lot around here. Maybe I’ll just imagine that it’s miniature deer playing on my back porch. 😊💕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 years later...
27 minutes ago, Eos said:

Zombie tracks aren't nearly so orderly as these. Zombies shuffle and scuff up a lot of the snow as they stagger along, creating chaotic tracks that are difficult to distinguish.

I find it interesting that if a new poster comments on a somewhat older thread, they are automatically accused of a zombie thread. Or if a new poster happens to comment on a "hot" topic it is implied that they are a troll.

Me thinks this board is not very welcoming to new posters. 🙂

1 hour ago, Mel9496 said:

I find it interesting that if a new poster comments on a somewhat older thread, they are automatically accused of a zombie thread. Or if a new poster happens to comment on a "hot" topic it is implied that they are a troll.

A new poster who posts (usually non sequitors) on a very old thread (we are talking threads that are often 8 years old etc) are often bots. So nope. Not welcome. 

New posters who start with a new post on controversial topics (usually related to sex) are suspected as trolls for a good reason. Those of us who have been on the internet for some time (not just this board) have seen some of the damage that trolls can do by stirring up controversy on purpose. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mel9496 said:

We discuss a lot of topics on here on the chat board, and I think sometimes people show up who aren't homeschoolers at all when they do a search for something. That's not exactly a troll, but it might mean that the person has no real reason to be here and will not likely come back. 

I have accidentally brought up really old posts via search, usually when I was really new. People don't usually mind if you preface a new post with the reason you're bringing it up.

I didn't see the date on this at first, and since 1/3 of the US population is getting some kind of wintry weather yesterday/today/tomorrow, I didn't realize it was old. Oh well! People will see a couple of incongruent likes from me; no harm done.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kbutton said:

We discuss a lot of topics on here on the chat board, and I think sometimes people show up who aren't homeschoolers at all when they do a search for something. That's not exactly a troll, but it might mean that the person has no real reason to be here and will not likely come back. 

I have accidentally brought up really old posts via search, usually when I was really new. People don't usually mind if you preface a new post with the reason you're bringing it up.

I didn't see the date on this at first, and since 1/3 of the US population is getting some kind of wintry weather yesterday/today/tomorrow, I didn't realize it was old. Oh well! People will see a couple of incongruent likes from me; no harm done.

LOL - I didn't even realize that this was an old thread!  It can be super disconcerting though when I'm replying to a thread that was started by an OP who hasn't been on this board for years or am replying to a poster on the thread who has also not been here for years.  It's not likely that I'm going to get an answer to any questions when the posters aren't even here anymore! 

And I've had people reply to posts I made about my now 20 something when they were five or six years old.  Um. . . any problems I had then are long gone!  And while my experiences weren't unique and can be learned from down the line, I honestly can't remember all the factors that went into making decisions that long ago for circumstances that have long been resolved. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

A new poster who posts (usually non sequitors) on a very old thread (we are talking threads that are often 8 years old etc) are often bots. So nope. Not welcome. 

New posters who start with a new post on controversial topics (usually related to sex) are suspected as trolls for a good reason. Those of us who have been on the internet for some time (not just this board) have seen some of the damage that trolls can do by stirring up controversy on purpose. 

You are right. A Troll serves only one purpose...to cause problems. I understand that you (gen.) want to keep them off the board. It just seems that the members of this board are very quick to assume that a new person is a troll. 🙂 I guess my point is to maybe give the benefit of the doubt. 🙂

just some food for thought 🙂

I admit, I hadn't thought about the Bot possibility. Not tech savvy here...lol

Btw, I am not a troll. 🙂 I am a former homeschool Mom that has followed TWTM for years. The reason stated above is a big reason that I have never posted.

1 minute ago, Mel9496 said:

You are right. A Troll serves only one purpose...to cause problems. I understand that you (gen.) want to keep them off the board. It just seems that the members of this board are very quick to assume that a new person is a troll. 🙂 I guess my point is to maybe give the benefit of the doubt. 🙂

just some food for thought 🙂

I admit, I hadn't thought about the Bot possibility. Not tech savvy here...lol

Btw, I am not a troll. 🙂 I am a former homeschool Mom that has followed TWTM for years. The reason stated above is a big reason that I have never posted.

I didn't realize that this was an old thread at first (which is often the case until somemone all of a sudden says, "Oh!  It's a zombie thread!  No wonder I'm feeling confused!"  And they post a zombie warning. 

But when I first joined this board I asked non-controversial questions, gave answers to those things that I knew about and didn't immediately accuse people of being rude and unfriendly.  Just a tip. 

32 minutes ago, kbutton said:

This! It can be very easy to bring up an old thread in a search. If it is a new person, someone can mention that the OP is no longer on the board. 🙂

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I didn't realize that this was an old thread at first (which is often the case until somemone all of a sudden says, "Oh!  It's a zombie thread!  No wonder I'm feeling confused!"  And they post a zombie warning. 

But when I first joined this board I asked non-controversial questions, gave answers to those things that I knew about and didn't immediately accuse people of being rude and unfriendly.  Just a tip. 

Point taken! 🙂 I too could have chosen a better way to introduce myself to the board. 😁

• Like 3